Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

nah, its Colt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Bluejeans
Feb 2, 2017

ATTENTHUN THITIZENTH
if there's anyone who understands "commitment to the bit" it's colt, he probably insisted on being the one to take that spot

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Despite his money and fame the latter years of John Cena's life saw the aged former star become the muscle for a southern California mobster known as Five Meatball Meltzer.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The whole point of a surprise attack is that you use it at the point where it's the biggest surprise. And this would have been agreed with his friends ahead of time.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

One thing that bugs me about Lance's critique is he's missing a big part of the story, which is that Hangman is a guy who really cares about not being in others' shadows. Since he's a hero we can assume that he doesn't want to get in the way of the Dark Order so of course he's going to stay out of the match as much as possible and make sure the DO boys get their win. When the ref bump happens he's trying to help by shaking Knox and trying to wake him up and after his reveal he still makes sure Silver hits his finisher and gets the pin. So he helped, certainly, but this was the Dark Order's win rather than his.

If we're critiquing match layout I don't think Colt getting slammed on the packs was required and they could have had Cutler come out after the Shell Shock, but I don't think it's enough to kill the story or the match which was just awesome.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

only the most pedantic nerds got annoyed by that match. really crazy stuff.

El Generico
Feb 3, 2009

Birds revere you and consider you one of their own.

You are welcome in their holy places.
He reveals himself late in the match because if he did it sooner it would've messed up all the fun spots they had planned and the reveal's timing would've been worse. It makes less sense narratively, but the point of this match was not to have no plotholes it was to be entertaining.

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

the hangman trusts his friends

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Wasn't Hangman trying to wake Rick Knox up while the quadruple triple powerbomb spot was happening anyway?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

karmicknight posted:

Wasn't Hangman trying to wake Rick Knox up while the quadruple triple powerbomb spot was happening anyway?

Yup. He was trying to wake Knox up when they started ganging up on the Dark Order in the ring. In fact, the powerbomb seemed to be the breaking point because he got in the ring afterwards. He might've unmasked at that point if Brandon (in the top half of the horse costume) hadn't come running down at that moment.

Pylons fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Oct 30, 2021

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

sounds like Lance decided he didn’t like the goofy multiman match and reached for things to justify not liking it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am shocked Lance didn't like the fun holiday match.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

El Generico posted:

He reveals himself late in the match because if he did it sooner it would've messed up all the fun spots they had planned and the reveal's timing would've been worse. It makes less sense narratively, but the point of this match was not to have no plotholes it was to be entertaining.

Also the point of a secret weapon is you don't reveal it early, he came in when he would have the most impact.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
it's okay to just do the thing that gets the biggest pop instead of what makes the most logical sense sometimes

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

It's a plot hole if a character doesn't do what I've decided is the most intelligent series of actions is the worst argument people have. It makes me want to die. I don't know how you can be human and misunderstand the reason we tell stories so grossly.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Wow, looks like even though Eddie won the first round qualifier we still got Lance vs Bryan.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Lance smells like tofu.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Incessant Excess posted:

it's okay to just do the thing that gets the biggest pop instead of what makes the most logical sense sometimes
The Rule of Cool always applies

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

jesus WEP posted:

The Rule of Cool always applies

:hmmyes:

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

"I know gently caress all about poo poo" -Jon Moxley

His interview with Dave and Garett is pretty good.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
To be fair it is pretty in-character that Lance Storm doesn't like fun matches

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

He just wanted the match to be serious for a moment.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
There is a certain amount of "illogical" you just have to accept in wrestling. Getting mad over Hangman not immediately evening the odds puts you in a place where, if you were consistent in your stance, most of the tropes in pro wrestling would have to stop.

If wrestlers had to be supremely logical at all times and do everything in their power to win, everyone would bring a giant entourage with them and constantly be distracting the ref and cheating as hard as possible. Unless managers and others are banned from ringside and any cheating is an automatic disqualification regardless of whether the in-ring ref catches it or not, everyone "logically" should be cheating every match to maximize their odds of winning.

mooseinfants
Dec 22, 2014
I don't necessarily disagree with everything Lance said but him getting his undies in a knot over some wrestlers having fun doing a costume match the one time a year they get the opportunity is some real boring poo poo and him acting like AEW did themselves a disservice by letting the main event people do this and potentially costing themselves some new viewers is really dishonest when the Bucks do their wild anarchy matches every other week.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I’ve said it before with wrestling but it doesn’t need to always make sense. The best stuff in wrestling is just when something cool happens.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

It's been kind of depressing hearing Bryan eagerly explain how the new ROH is gonna work out great because they can pay their wrestlers half what they would have before and the wrestlers will jump at the chance. :sigh:

But forget that, the Moxley interview with Dave and Garrett is wonderful. "I can't believe I'm gonna say this.... but I think we should move to Cincinnati."

Edit: Mox on bonding with his daughter: "Everything else can go suck a dick." :lol:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 31, 2021

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
All I know is I felt immense joy watching that match and isn't that the point of wrestling.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
lance storm is 50+ anyway

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

algebra testes posted:

All I know is I felt immense joy watching that match and isn't that the point of wrestling.

this but about bryan beating the poo poo out of guys

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

algebra testes posted:

According to a lot of wrestling fans NO, it must be DEATHLY SERIOUS fake combat sports otherwise older kids at school will laugh at you for enjoying it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Drakkel posted:

According to a lot of wrestling fans NO, it must be DEATHLY SERIOUS fake combat sports otherwise older kids at school will laugh at you for enjoying it

Also remember a portion of those complaining would also complain if the main event had been DEATHLY SERIOUS and would have mocked AEW for not even understanding wrestling enough to know that on Halloween you do something goofy and fun for the audience to enjoy.

beepo
Oct 8, 2000
Forum Veteran
All things being equal, go with what is more realistic and logical. If you want to do a big dive, try to have it make sense why there are 6 guys there to catch you and not just be there standing around twiddling their thumbs.

With that said, if you want to complain that Hangman unmasking and running wild is too silly, you need to come up with something clearly better. People in the crowd were literally jumping up and down, going crazy, and will remember that moment for a long time. It would be like suggesting Steve Austin should have just gave Vince a stunner instead of spraying him with the beer truck.

Eat My Fuc
May 29, 2007

beepo posted:

It would be like suggesting Steve Austin should have just gave Vince a stunner instead of spraying him with the beer truck.

Or like suggesting Kurt Angle spray down the Alliance with a milk truck instead of a cum truck

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Dave: I call up Wade Keller and tell him,"Let's rob a bank!"

The latest WOR is a lot of fun :allears:

Dango Bango
Jul 26, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Dave: I call up Wade Keller and tell him,"Let's rob a bank!"

The latest WOR is a lot of fun :allears:

Dave is taking this Terry Funk "in the zone" thing way too seriously! :v:

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

beepo posted:

It would be like suggesting Steve Austin should have just gave Vince a stunner instead of spraying him with the beer truck.

Which is what Austin himself wanted to do cause he was terrified that doing anything silly would ruin his career, which did not even remotely happen

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Austin dousing Vince with beer was far less silly than Austin dressing like a camera guy with glasses and a wig to get a few punches in on McMahon in the cage that one time. Guess what though, the crowd still loved it and it didn't kill Austin's character either, and between the two Austin looked a lot stupider dressing up as a ring crew guy than Page did in the Stay-Puff costume.

And if you reason it out, Page took out Cutler and stole his costume to sneak attack the Elite, presumably it wasn't a long plan since Page couldn't know what Cutler was going to wear so it probably just happened on the fly. Austin meanwhile, knowing he would be spotted the moment he came into the building, not only stole some clothes from a ring crew worker, but also went out of his way to get a wig and glasses. Basically if you think about it, Stone Cold at some point sat down in front of a mirror in his hotel room and spent a bit of time making himself look like a person not wearing a costume because he'd have to be wandering around for hours before the main event segment(on Sunday Night HEAT no less) where he would insinuate himself into the camera crew and launch his sneak attack.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Really funny to hear Dave not be able to say word one until over 10 minutes into the Mox interview. Moving is hard!

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I cant tell what I loved more, Dave talking about Dune or Tony's Dad being "look this wrestling thing gonna lose money but I'm going to die so you might as well begin wasting your inheritance I guess."

Edit: in the newsletter I mean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Ahhh boo he just mentions Batista is in it and what the box office was. I was hoping he'd go off on a tangent about Paul being a weak babyface but having clear potential if he could just follow his mother's advice and work on his talking skills.