Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

blizzardvizard posted:

Can I make a bold prediction that they're sending Vanity Milan home next episode

Yup. That doesn't even need spoiler tags. I keep forgetting that she is even there. Just like all of the queens of Drag Race Canada season 2.

Edit Canada: Wow, this is super low budget. They couldn't even afford to put the queens before a green screen, did the entire terrible sketch in the werk room?

Nihonniboku fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Oct 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

it seriously can’t be emphasized enough how much better Dragula S3, Resurrection, and the first two episodes of S4 are than any Drag Race that’s come out in the last four years. This thread has a predilection for hatewatching and then hateposting about DR; I think it’d be a nice change of pace for it to watch drag television that’s legitimately engaging for a change

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

MizuZero posted:

it seriously can’t be emphasized enough how much better Dragula S3, Resurrection, and the first two episodes of S4 are than any Drag Race that’s come out in the last four years. This thread has a predilection for hatewatching and then hateposting about DR; I think it’d be a nice change of pace for it to watch drag television that’s legitimately engaging for a change

Is Dragula only on Shudder? Maybe I should be giving them my money instead of Wow. I tried watching the first season when it was on Amazon, but just could not get into it.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

Nihonniboku posted:

Is Dragula only on Shudder? Maybe I should be giving them my money instead of Wow. I tried watching the first season when it was on Amazon, but just could not get into it.

Not sure on the streaming services since the switch to Shudder, but I always recommend to folks that they watch Season 2 of Dragula...then go back to Season 1, then watch S3 onwards in order.
I tried starting off with S1 of Dragula and it didn't grab me, but trying again with Season 2 made me happy to go back and watch Season 1.

FYI to all, across all 3+ seasons, chances are good there's an extermination that'll gross or freak varying people out. For example, tons of people seemed to really be bothered by Season 2s first extermination, meanwhile it didn't bother me at all as I have no fear of needles. On the other hand, any exterminations that involve eating nasty poo poo make me look away from the screen until it's over. Don't let that stop you, just skip ahead until they announce who is going home. :) The floorshows (Dragula's version of RPDR's runways) are so loving good, every episode.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I'm not gonna have thoughts about this episode that aren't mirrored by everyone else so I'm just gonna say that Kitty looks like a gay Stephen Root.

Orunitier
Dec 5, 2010

Nihonniboku posted:

Seasons 2 & 3 are still on Netflix.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
UK:

That lip sync song choice was honestly a setup. I've always felt like that song is just one level the entire time and extremely repetitive.

Sending home two fan favorites simultaneously is also a choice. But I guess it's the first double robbed queen elimination ever?

Raccoonboy
May 31, 2011
How can someone be born for drag when it is clear they have had extensive surgery in order to pursue the career, also totally wrong outcome this episode and I simply do not give a poo poo who wins now

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

This UK judging… choices. I guess also seasons 1 and 2 also had bizarre moments but not to this level.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

gandlethorpe posted:

Man, that first episode lip sync really done hosed up the season

Seems like after that, production went "gently caress, what do we do with all the queens we cast as filler?" to which Ru replied "who cares?!"

I'm still kind of baffled by them throwing Veronica to the wolves

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

baffling baffling decision especially after the insanely undeserved double shantay

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

UK: they sure do seem hellbent on burning it all to the ground. Judi Love seemed really reluctant to be involved with Snatch Game and who can blame her? What was up with Ru trying to tell people to do a different character? I think the ones named were too British for him to be able to judge accurately (HA, as if judging integrity matters on this shitshow of a season). Krystal should have been in the bottom. Scarlett should have been at or near the bottom, especially with her flappy lettuce couture. Vanity is...a body existing in three-dimensional space. While the lipsync wasn't great, I think River beat Choriza (as much as I love our Spanish sausage, she was too busy keeping that throw&go on her head).

Canada: honestly I'mma have to spend a night and watch all three episodes together because it's just not memorable to me. I had to google (guest judge) Fefe Dobson; is she legit famous, or Canada-famous? Asking as a born and bred Canadian, btw. At least they finally got around to putting up names during the confessionals.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
"You were born to do drag", RuPaul says to the walking mannequin.

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
I’m glad I dropped this season of UK. It just seems to get worse the further it goes. It’s not the queens’ fault but this is easily the most obviously “produced” season of UK by a landslide. Losing Victoria and Veronica in a single episode was bad and then everything that came just snowballed.

Why bother having a dubious double shantay when you pull off this double sashay of two iconic fan favourites? It’s been obvious that Scarlett and Krystal have been given the golden chariot to the finale and while they’re good queens in their own right, it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when they are allowed to make mistakes or get lavished in praise when others just as, if not better, than them get screwed over.

Can we have people to replace Ru and maybe Michelle if they aren’t even going to bother trying to engage with British culture or try to understand it?

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"You were born to do drag", RuPaul says to the walking mannequin.

More like grown in a lab.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Aren't they going to be short a queen for the episodes they want to have now? Are we gonna see another double save?

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

A God drat Ghost posted:

Aren't they going to be short a queen for the episodes they want to have now? Are we gonna see another double save?

If Krystal and Scarlett lip sync, I reckon

Carlton Banks Teller
Nov 18, 2004

I think I'm going to stop on UK and just watch the IMHO recaps. Which are my newest obsession, and I don't know why I resisted them for so long.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

Carlton Banks Teller posted:

I think I'm going to stop on UK and just watch the IMHO recaps. Which are my newest obsession, and I don't know why I resisted them for so long.

Darby is exactly who I want to be if I ever became a drag queen. I love her. :allears:

This season of UK feels like a weird fever dream, and not in a fun way. I'm behind on Canada. Bring on more Dragula!

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
It's wild that within minutes of "your snatch game wasnt all that funny and your jokes didn't land, also this is the same garment you gave us 2 weeks ago in a different color" we also got "you are god's gift to drag" and they were directed at the same person.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

Apparently there's a discount this weekend for Shudder if you want to hop into Dragula Season 4 (31OFF).

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousTerminal posted:

It's wild that within minutes of "your snatch game wasnt all that funny and your jokes didn't land, also this is the same garment you gave us 2 weeks ago in a different color" we also got "you are god's gift to drag" and they were directed at the same person.

Ru is on crack

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress off Ru Paul. River won that and you know it. I’m truly done now with UK3.

G A R B A G E

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Canada clown episode is the funniest best EP of drag race I've seen in a long while. lollin my head off

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

alf_pogs posted:

Canada clown episode is the funniest best EP of drag race I've seen in a long while. lollin my head off

Like, in an ironic way?

Demon_Corsair
Mar 22, 2004

Goodbye stealing souls, hello stealing booty.

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress off Ru Paul. River won that and you know it. I’m truly done now with UK3.

G A R B A G E

River peaked with the first episode shuffle and point.

Scarlet being safe for being a one trick pony in snatch game while chorisa was in the bottom for "powering out" was some bullshit. How do you end up safe when they judges say your outfit looks like wet lettuce?

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

UK/CA this season is pretty loving terrible. I'm not even sure I'll keep watching at this point.

A God Damn Ghost
Nov 25, 2007

booyah!
Yeah I'm done with this season of UK now, the shine has really worn off. Plenty of talented queens but the ones I liked most are gone and I'm not enjoying the season. Thankfully Dragula is back!

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
I really enjoyed the recent episode of Canada. Pythia is the memorable one for me. Also I have a huge crush on Amanda Brugel.

God UK3 is haute garbage. Just crown Restylane Versace already, it’s over. Gross.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I'm still watching Canada, if only for Adriana's "gay Mountie no really" confessional lewk.

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

Have they exhausted the pool of good queens in Canada and the UK already?

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Glad I checked in on this thread to find out Canada Drag Race is happening as S3 of UK is garbage. Any idea of what’s happening behind the scenes? Ru is acting bitter AF.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Willam mentioned on his podcast something about after a runway critique, Charity was overheard complaining that Ru was asking to see more glam and less hairy rear end, said something like their hairy rear end was good enough for Vogue so it didn’t matter. Allegedly Ru called Charity out on stage when they came back (but that part didn’t air).

That and Willam claims Season 3 was filmed in 10 days. But that’s gossip so take it for what it is.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

I think my first sign that UK3 was hosed up was the fact that they sent someone home on the same episode that someone had to leave for medical reasons (or disqualification in Willam's case). Granted, it's only happened a couple of times, but when it has, no one else went home that episode.

yung lambic posted:

Glad I checked in on this thread to find out Canada Drag Race is happening as S3 of UK is garbage. Any idea of what’s happening behind the scenes? Ru is acting bitter AF.

I honestly think Rupaul is tired of doing this poo poo, but is too stubborn to hand the role over to someone else.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

yung lambic posted:

Canada isn't doing much better. They seem to have less of a budget compared to season 1, and the queens are largely forgettable. As someone said earlier, it seems like they may have run out of drag queens in Canada and the UK.

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

Interesting - I’m really enjoying the Canadian Drag Race, by comparison!

I completely buy the argument that they’re running out of good queens to pick, though. Maybe these specials should be once every three or four years, same with All Stars, they could rotate even. Hmm.

Dugong
Mar 18, 2013

I don't know what to do,
I'm going to lose my mind

resting mitch face posted:

Willam mentioned on his podcast something about after a runway critique, Charity was overheard complaining that Ru was asking to see more glam and less hairy rear end, said something like their hairy rear end was good enough for Vogue so it didn’t matter. Allegedly Ru called Charity out on stage when they came back (but that part didn’t air).

That and Willam claims Season 3 was filmed in 10 days. But that’s gossip so take it for what it is.

The fast production has been thrown about from a lot of people though when you get a specific 10 days that sounds a lot more brutal. Gives some more context to Scarlett the last few episodes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

yung lambic posted:

I completely buy the argument that they’re running out of good queens to pick, though. Maybe these specials should be once every three or four years, same with All Stars, they could rotate even. Hmm.

All Stars absolutely needs to be once every few years. We don't have enough All Stars to make an All Stars cast anymore. That's why season 2 worked so well, because it had been a few years, they truly were casting some of the strongest competitors the show had ever seen. That's why last season was so lackluster, they were scraping the bottom of the barrel, and even had two queens on their third time around.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

Huh, AS6 seemed quite well received?

I don't think the problem is the queens themselves being mediocre so much as the show getting more and more overproduced. On top of the usual and increasingly blatant favoritism, this UK season seems like they're desperate to force "moments" every episode.

These production shenanigans are also easier to pull on new queens. Honestly, AS seasons are more interesting to me because the queens are more savvy and even unafraid to call out rigga morris. Even AS5 had tons of moments, despite being probably the worst one since AS1, which also had moments.

There's also the aspect of queens being afraid to get into drama because of how horrible fans are, resulting in overall boring chemistry. The iconic kind of drama pre-S7 just can't happen nowadays for the most part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Drimble Wedge posted:

Canada: honestly I'mma have to spend a night and watch all three episodes together because it's just not memorable to me. I had to google (guest judge) Fefe Dobson; is she legit famous, or Canada-famous? Asking as a born and bred Canadian, btw. At least they finally got around to putting up names during the confessionals.

Fefe Dobson is Canada famous and it's kind of hard to not know who she is if you're a millenial. Her stuff was on the radio all the time from the 2000s to the early 2010s. She's definitely very specific Canada lore though, I'd say she's a rung up from Billy Talent and a couple below the Hip.