Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

watched Ghostwatch for the first time ever. absolutely terrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
29. Grave Encounters (2011) (rewatch)
Spooky Bingo: none

The crew of a cheesy ghost-hunting show spends a night in a haunted asylum.
It's decent - less than it could have been, but there's enough wit and originality here for a watch. It starts off as a very conventional deadpan version of one of those shows - the fake expert, the "encouraged" testimony from witnesses, the slo-mo. Eventually, inevitably, the crew begins encountering real supernatural occurrences. There's this fun tension between the main host, Lance, who's thrilled about what's going to be the best episode ever, and the rest of the crew who immediately hate it. The ghosts, though, are honestly kind of lame. They're just very one-note, and the main thing they do is scream and run at the camera; there's no character to it. Much more interesting is the asylum: endless hallways, endless night. Which is a fun irony, since the whole point of the ghost show is that you can easily make a great episode just out of a spooky location like that, but I doubt the filmmakers intended for their ghosts to be unmemorable. A lot of the ghostly phenomena the crew encounters is evocative of insanity: hearing things, hurting themselves, being perpetually lost. I think the movie suffers from ramping up too much too fast; once the crew breaks down the front door only to find more asylum on the other side, you get the vibe that they're screwed no matter what, and there's never really any hope after that. It sucks all the air out of things.
Just a well-executed Found Footage flick/5 :spooky:

Hot Dog Day #89
Mar 17, 2004
[img]https://forumimages.somethingawful.com/images/newbie.gif[/img]

Morbid Hound

The Beast with Five Fingers, 1946

I like to cover every decade from 1920 to present day in these marathons. I don't do the 1910s and before as there's just too few full length titles to choose from. I've done 1920 and 2020 this year, one hundred years apart, but yet to touch the 1940s this year, so I rewatched one of my favorites from that decade. It is one of my go to dark house films. Dark house is usually some people spend the night in a old creepy mansion, spooky poo poo happens and people die, then there's often a Scooby-Doo ending that the ghost was just a hoax by the real killer to cover up their crimes. The go to dark house movie is of course House on Haunted Hill from 1959. It is super fun and super spooky, just having fun with the tropes of the genre + it got Vincent Price. Instant classic. But for whatever reason, The Beast with Five Fingers is my go to dark house film. No idea why. There's only one legit kill in the whole film, but in return, you got horror icon Peter Lorre, who is the master of playing creepy creeps. A old rich rear end in a top hat that is paralyzed on one side of his body has made a carrier out of playing one handed piano pieces with his good hand. He dies and there's issues with the will and the lawyer is found strangled to death by one strong hand. Turns out it appears the rich guy's corpse has cut off its own hand and there's a killer hand that plays the piano before striking. Bit different from the usual haunted mansion stuff you see in these films. I just like the feel of it all. A solid horror from a decade that didn't produce much of it. Now I just need to watch a proper 90s film as the only one I saw this year was a documentary.

Hot Dog Day #89 fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Oct 30, 2021

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

132) Mountaintop Motel Massacre - 1983 - TubiTV

After years in an asylum, Evelyn returns home only to snap again.

I had expectations for this one. Granted they weren't high expectations, but for a film of this timeframe, I was expecting a certain level of cheese that just wasn't there. The premise has potential. A motel with underground tunnels the killer uses to get around? Now that's a setting! Evelyn's portrayal works since on the surface she doesn't seem threatening. But when it came to the motel guests, I found many of them a drag. I kept waiting for Al to get killed, he definitely deserved it, but nope, his sorry self makes it to the end. The witchcraft thing with Evelyn's daughter felt more like it was tacked on to have something more spooky for the ending. And I wasn't big on the animal death that happens.

A little tweaking of the script and a tightening of the editing and this would've been fine.

133) Fantasies - 1982 - Youtube

An ABC TV Movie of the Week where a killer is working their way through the cast of a hit soap opera.

This was pretty good. It does tend to lean into the soap opera tangent a bit more, but it does bring attention to what then was the new discovery of obsessive fans who think nothing of stalking actors or writing threatening letters over what happens on a show. Overall I liked this one. I did get a laugh when they poked fun at daytime soaps.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

13. A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984)

Great rewatch, popped on the blu-ray I haven't seen in 10 years or so. Still such a cool, gripping, stylin', cool rear end movie. The score is particularly awesome, gotta love the laser sounds and whatnot. I'd say my favorite slasher movie, taking the conventions and grooving them up a bit. In Wes we trust.

There it is, hit me goal of 13, spooky good times. I'll throw a couple bonus watches in this weekend I think. Fun (and spooky) thread here!

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

A brief detour from movies to complete this bingo square:
Short Cuts
-Watch 60 minutes of short films. Write a review for each one. (Please write them in a single post, and try to provide links where possible.)

Curve - 9:51 - A woman awakens to find herself injured and alone on a curved, alien concrete structure and must stop herself from falling into the abyss below.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dD3Fawk4y0

Watched this one because several others did in the thread as well. It was ok? I think I was less scared and more inquisitive - this is one of those things where I would have loved to have learned more about this world/situation and what was going on. Is it literal? A metaphor? And so on. Great sound design.

Other Side of the Box - 15:22 - A couple are greeted by an old friend, who drops off a gift. At first, when opened, there's literal nothingness inside...until a terrifying figure begins to slowly emerge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrOYvVf6tIM

This one was decent. Again, there's a lot of questions here that are left unanswered and the only real mechanic the video discusses (you can't take your eyes off of the thing coming out of the box or it will move) is one that's been done before. Still, I appreciated it for not having any screaming or jump scares, just having a slow sense of encroaching doom.

Somniphobia - 25:06 - After she has nightmares of a ghoulish creature that gives her injuries that persist into real life, a woman and her boyfriend track down the only person they think can help - a man who is able to enter the dreams of others to help them confront their fears.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ju--srCYxO0

This one describes itself as a "horror short" but the horror is not really of the spooky jump scare kind - it has more to do with real-life terrors and how trauma can alter your perception. It's sort of a modern take on that old Dennis Quad movie Dreamscape. Although you can probably figure out what's going on about 3-4 minutes in, the actors are good and the story is engaging.

Finley - 25:26 - Three college students rent a house that happens to have a living ventriloquist dummy in the attic. The dummy wants to murder the students, but the problem is he's not very good at it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0641hHG1IQ

This was easily my favorite short that I watched. I've railed a lot on various "horror comedies" I've watched over the last few years in these challenges because they frequently end up unbalanced or just plain fail to deliver on either side of the equation. Finley is great, though, because it manages to be genuinely suspenseful, disarms you with humor, and then tosses back in the horror elements with a vengeance. The filmmakers really pulled this one off nicely - Finley's attempts to murder the students are very funny (they treat him like an annoying little brother), and while he can't talk at all, he gets so many great little establishing character moments that you really come to understand the little guy - one facet they build on is that the dummy likes the cat living in the house with the students, going so far as to take the blame for it when it makes a mess, and when a later scene shows the cat in peril, Finley's reaction is hysterical. In the last part of the short, when Finley finally manages to kill some people (it's justified!), you can't help but feel some pride for him. Definitely recommend watching this one.

Total cumulative runtime - 1 hour, 15 minutes

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

25. Raw (2016), dir. Julia Ducournau

I'm not sure why I sat one Raw for so long. It was something I was always interested in, but thought that I knew what it was. Raw is much more than my expectations and a very, very good movie.

The elevator pitch of a vegetarian getting strange cravings once she eats meat brings to mind very thoughts of what the movie's subtext is probably going to be. And while that is definitely there, it is how Ducournau deals with family that really gives this other level of texture and intrigue to the film. There is something both sweet and disturbing in how family. In both of her films, Ducournau presents the intimacy of family to the point where it borders on incestuous. Both of her films play with the idea of family, true family, being the place where you are known and understood. But that familiarity can be scary and exploited.

Definitely one of the most striking endings of a movie I've seen in a while, or well, was until I saw my next movie...

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

26. Titane (2021), dir. Julia Ducournau

Titane's magical realism inciting incident and the subsequent events that lead to the hart of the actual story are insane. And yet, the plot is never obtuse, but very clear. Titane is a film that deals with family, belonging, and masculinity. That is clear, but by brain is rattling with what conclusions I am drawing from the film and what conclusions are within the film. That is the magic of Titane, a movie that is both loving insane and entirely straightforward.

I loved it.

:spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:/5

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 29
Sequence Break

I almost went with Brainscan, but I thought, "I bet a movie made in 2017 will understand the concept of video games better than one made in 1994 when they were just a twenty year old medium." Sir Kodiak brought this to my attention...

Sir Kodiak posted:

New #22: Sequence Break (2017) [Shudder]

A guy who repairs vintage arcade machines for a living meets a girl who falls for him despite him having the charisma of a guy who repairs vintage arcade machines for a living. But his life is being consumed by a strange arcade machine that he fixed up. He's drawn into it as it gives him hallucinations and breaks down the barrier between man and machine. And who is that weird guy who keeps showing up? Hint: it's the lazy answer that lovely screenwriters always think is clever.

Well, I guess Sir Kodiak did warn me that this one was a dog. This movie desperately wants to be Videodrome, except they don't actually have anything to say about technology or the media and so they just borrow some of the imagery. No, he doesn't get a stomach vagina that he shoves video games into, but there's other things that come right out of Cronenberg. Don't think it's worth it if you're into that kind of film, though, this is a dull slog of a film.

This is a tiny indie movie with a handful of actors, so that makes the relationship between the leads pretty important and that is some of the worst stuff in the film. There's actually anti-chemistry between them, it really feels like they're going through the motions instead of in a relationship.

The script is a real mess, too. Why the gently caress would you introduce time travel at the end of the movie? It added nothing and just makes the message of the film even more confusing. The dialog consists of things no human being would say. It feels like someone got high, heard some video game terms that they didn't understand, and then decided to write a script around that. It's like the opposite problem of the video game films of the 80's where the writer and director didn't understand video games so they just made them into whatever they wanted; in this movie they understand current video games and try to layer those concepts onto a score attack game from the early 80's.

This could have been any one of the interchangeable, low budget, low skill horror films that clutter up streaming services. It's garbage.

But it's garbage that fills in Video Games Cause Violence on my SPOOKY board.

Sir Kodiak posted:

A dude who repairs arcade video games receives an evil circuit board and bad things happen as a result, mostly to me, the person who sat through this movie. Part cosmic horror, part romance, neither of which are any good. There was clearly some time put into this—I respect the practical effects work—but smothering the leads in goop doesn't cover up their stilted performances, baffling relationship, or the uninspired attempts at horror.

Some of the practical effects were fine, but there was a lot of "so we just put a bunch of liquid latex on them" stuff, too.

gh0stpinballa posted:

watched Ghostwatch for the first time ever. absolutely terrifying.

Yes, Craig Charles is horrifying.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
30. Cujo (1983)
Spooky Bingo: Based on the Novel

A dog locks some people in a car on a hot day.
I've found that when I get to the end of one of these things, it takes me a while to get back into the swing of watching non-horror movies. I'm sort of nonplussed by the first couple; they feel wrong in some basic way, like the filmmakers screwed up, not even trying to be scary. Anyway, Cujo is a pretty good wind-down movie for me; the first half is a serious family melodrama, just normal people living their lives. Like drat, I halfway forgot you can just make a movie about a woman cheating on her husband, and that's the drama. A lot of things go unsaid; these people just know each other. As this happens, we see Cujo gradually turn into the monster of the second half. I was surprised at how much attention the movie gave to Cujo's pre-rabid life. He's almost a main character. Everyone loves him; even the mechanic's dirtbag friend knows his name. The movie works to align us with him; there are some PoV shots, and as the rabies builds, Cujo's scenes are increasingly filled with load, infuriating noises. His insanity is genuinely tragic. The dog is also, I gotta say, a great actor. Nails all his cues, fits the blocking perfectly. Just ace.

The second half of the movie is mostly about Donna and her son Tad stuck in the car, menaced by Cujo. Their status is made possible by social disconnection; no-one notices they're missing. There are no friends or family that grow concerned, and husband Vic assumes she's ignoring his calls on account of the cheating thing. Of course it's also exacerbated by random little chances that Donna can't possibly know about, like Joe cancelling his mail. Ah, maybe I'm reading too much into it. Anyway, the back half is about a siege, about being paralysed by fear and missing opportunities. It's not uncommon for a horror movie to throw in a kid to worry about, but it's done very well here. The kid just feels very authentic; he's not screaming because the writers thought the scene could do with some more tension, but because what's happening is just that scary. The in-car camerawork is pretty good, particularly when you consider how big those things are. I remember watching a behind-the-scenes of that one scene from Children of Men, where the actors had to collapse their seats and lie flat to make room whenever the camera turned away from them.
A real gem/5 :spooky:

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

New #23: Black Box (2020) [Amazon Prime]
Spooky Square #14: Horror Noire

Directed by Emmanuel Osei-Kuffour Jr. with Mamoudou Athie and Phylicia Rashad in the lead. A young man suffers from amnesia following a traumatic brain injury and, as a result, struggles to connect to his daughter, find work, or generally find his place in his world. Fortunately, there's a neurologist running an experimental program that might be able to help him recover his lost memories. Things don't go exactly as he might have hoped.

I picked this movie because I was curious about it and I knew it had a black director for this challenge, so I was happy to discover how appropriate it was. The documentary Horror Noire focuses a lot of its attention on the success of Get Out and this movie is openly in conversation with that one. Both are focused on a photographer starting out in life, deal with issues of personal identity, and the neurologist's first hypnosis session with our main character seeing him descend into a familiar black void. But where Get Out was openly about racism in America, this movie instead reflects what the conclusion of Horror Noire asks for, which is the opportunity for black artists to tell any sort of story, including but not limited to films explicitly focused on the issue of race.

Random Stranger posted:

This is a tiny indie movie with a handful of actors, so that makes the relationship between the leads pretty important and that is some of the worst stuff in the film. There's actually anti-chemistry between them, it really feels like they're going through the motions instead of in a relationship.

Random Stranger posted:

Some of the practical effects were fine, but there was a lot of "so we just put a bunch of liquid latex on them" stuff, too.

The romance was so unnatural I wondered if that might be the point because she'd turn out to be the villain and he was too socially inept to notice. But then I realized the movie was just like that.

And, yeah, in terms of the effects I was thinking there mostly of the bit where they bothered to swap out the controller with a squishy version and other stuff like that, which easily could have been handled by a digital distortion effect on his hand or whatever. If kept more subtle and in a different movie, it could have been a nice touch. The goop got old fast.

Anyways, hopefully no one else makes the mistake of watching Sequence Break. Two sacrifices is enough.

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

41. The Beyond (1981)
:zombie::zombie::zombie:.5/5

The Beyond is a creepy sativa of a horror film. The abruptness with which scenes or the score transition, the goopy extravagance of the gore, the stiffness of the performances, the pacing that stretches disturbing violence half again as long as you expect until it's almost taunting you to look away - it all builds a hypnotic mood. The unreal permeates everything. An intuitive sense drives each event of the plot instead of a rational A-follows-B plotting. You're marinated in the weirdness until you're ready for the spooky, metaphysical transcendence of the ending.

The atmosphere of The Beyond is more impressive than anything that happens in it, really, which mostly amounts to a lot of gross-out flesh-tearing and eye injuries set to an excellent (and slightly funky) score. This one earns the moniker "video nasty!" I'm also pretty squeamish, which puts this film at an unfair disadvantage. A month of horror movies has been training me to have a good time when tarantulas appear out of nowhere and start chewing a guy's face off, though! And my favorite moment in the whole picture is when the heroine gets out of dodge and flees her haunted-rear end hotel. The windows illuminate one by one to show lurking silhouettes in every room.

Spooky Bingo: Video Nasty. The Beyond was on Section 2 of the video nasty list.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Okay the bingo! I did it! Went from guessing I'd watch like five movies for this challenge to doing an entire bingo card. I'd like to thank the following factors: 1) my new ADHD medication that I started a few months ago. This is the big winner here, because I couldn't watch a twenty minute anime episode without being distracted, and now I can do an entire movie - multiple movies!

Congrats on finding a medication that works for you! Hopefully in other areas and not just watching people getting splattered!

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

20. Revenge of Frankenstein
:spooky:Spooky Bingo: Picnic at Hanging Rock:spooky:

Dr. Frankenstein takes up residence in a new town and, while living under the 100% fool-proof alias Dr. Victor Stein, sets up a medical practice as a cover for his experiments.

This is one of Hammer's best sequels. Cushing continues to own the role of Frankenstein and he's captivating every moment he's on screen. The depth and gravitas he brings to the role is incredible and I could watch a movie that was nothing but him walking around a lab explaining what each lever and beaker is for.

This has one of the better "creatures" in the series as well, with Karl being a very tragic character with some great physical acting.

It's a shame that the Frankenstein series abandoned any continuity after this because the ending sets up a really strong hook for future stories.

Flying Zamboni fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Nov 1, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#86) Blood Shack (1971; digital)

Chooper chooper chooper chooper. OK, so there's this old house, said to be 150 years old, and it's real drat haunted. Haunted by “THE CHOOPER.” But a woman has just inherited it, and doesn't believe all those legends.

This turned out to be an absolute treasure. It's low-budget (IMDB estimates the budget as $500), but taken so seriously at times. One of the first things you'll notice after the opening is that the music for this is hilariously overblown. At its best, it's like the most dramatic Scooby-Doo music, and it's matched to a scene of someone just slowly walking around in front of the house. We also get some scenes of kids who probably never acted again, and ad-libbing their parts to heck and back. We get shower narration, we get people saying the word 'chooper' without cracking a smile, a trip to a rodeo for no plot-related reason, dead-voiced narration, more trips to the rodeo, and a white trash cowboy in a midriff shirt. Oh, and the Chooper is dressed like a last-minute Halloween ninja costume, and armed with a katana (not a machete, as the poster would have you believe). This hits a level of stupid and absurd so amazingly that it might just become a yearly staple.

“What kind of ghost would haunt a place like this? It's a dump!”

Rating: 6/10

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

30. Halloween Kills (2021, Peacock)

Claiming Holliday Massacre

I liked Halloween 2018 a lot. I feel like this is important to know as context for why this movie makes me so loving mad.

It’s like they took everything that made the 2018 movie good, the ruminations on how people deal with trauma, the idea of a legacy that stems from an evil occurrence, how the loss of people effects a town years later, and then just rehashed it and took out all the thought and just kinda poo poo all over the idea.

On the surface, it’s dealing with the same things the last film was, but it takes it to a cartoonish extreme and removes any semblance of nuance. When you have a character actually SAYING OUT LOUD that the villain has “turned them into a monster” instead of letting the audience infer that on their own, just rip up your script and start over. You hosed up.

There’s always been debate over whether Michael Myers should be supernatural or not, but again, this movie takes it to a cartoonish extreme and gives us multiple montages of Michael killing a dozen people or so in a straight up fight, once after taking lethal damage multiple times and it just doesn’t work, I don’t care what the Jamie Lee Curtis voiceover you stuck in to sort of justify it says. Bad, bad movie.

1/5

Anyway, that's #30 and I've got the nice little pattern on my Bingo card that I wanted. I'm going to watch something that's more fun for #31 so I can end the month on an up note.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

25: Censor
Challenge: Femme Fatale

This I liked, a lot. Especially the end but, which wasn't done as well as Saint Maud but was still neat

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
#39. Messiah of Evil

Arletty (Marianna Hill) goes up to the coastal town of Point Dune to look for her father, an artist who went there and never came back. She finds a town full of fairly strange people, including Thom (Michael Greer), a rich dilettante-type, and a couple of hangers-on. She also comes across an old drunk (Elisha Cook Jr., by this point a horror vet) who warns her that the town's been cursed ever since the moon turned red a hundred years ago and a stranger came to visit. Sure enough, the regulars have a habit of eating raw meat wherever they can find it, as well as building fires out on the beach and staring into the water as if waiting for someone.

Written and Directed by Willard Hyuck and Gloria Katz (who also were involved with American Graffiti, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and... Howard the Duck), this is a pretty primo example of style and mood on a low budget. Everything went into making the town and everyone in it seem wrong and weird, to the point that just scenes of the characters walking the streets are actually effective; the drat thing's beautifully shot, and there are some cool scary scenes in a supermarket and a movie theater. There's a touch of cosmic horror in the film's evocation of the curse, even if what's happening owes a bit more to the Donner party than Lovecraft. My one complaint is that there's a point near the end where the narration kinda papers over a few scenes that they didn't fully shoot- sure enough, the production ran into trouble when financiers pulled out, but was finished and released by a French investor. This does explain the film's relative obscurity but it's a banger. This thread definitely helped steer me towards it.

#40. Absurd

Spooky Bingo Challenge: Video Nasty

I'm basically done with the bingo but watching Censor put me in the mood for a proper Video Nasty, and while there are a lot of films that qualify, this one stands out as a pure example of a cheap foreign horror film with just enough pointless nauseating gore to put it on the list and achieve immortality.

A large hulking man (George Eastman, who also wrote the film) on the run from a priest (Edmund Purdom) tries to scale a gate to a rich family's house and impales himself on the spikes at the top. Rushed to the hospital, he makes a remarkably fast recovery, awakens, kills a nurse, and runs into the night. The priest, who is also a scientist, explains to a police detective (Charles Borromel) that the man is the subject of a biochemical experiment which went awry, giving him incredible regenerative powers and also driving him psychotically insane. The nameless killer continues his rampage and drifts back to the house, where the children (including a girl in traction to repair a spinal defect) have been left by their parents for the evening...

This is essentially director Joe D'Amato's version of Halloween, with an invincible killer with no real motive set loose in suburbia and treated as a soulless boogeyman (indeed characters do call him "the boogeyman" several times.) The main difference is instead of a shape in a blank mask the killer is more just a large bearded guy, and his kills are gory as heck, hence the Nasty status. Also the plot isn't quite as elegant; the origin story is less "don't try to understand" and more "wait, what", and the big excuse for why nobody's parents are at home and the police can't do anything is... everyone's watching the Rams/Steelers game. Doing some research this is probably Super Bowl XIV from 1980 (a year before the film's release), but they can't say that, but yes, we do have scenes of a bunch of middle-aged Europeans eating bowls of spaghetti while watching footage of the big game, and kudos to the dubbing team for putting in an authentic commentary track. Actually I take it back this part of the plot works.

So anyway it's a bit slow going but gradually won me over- D'Amato manages some genuine suspense in the final act, even if there is a point where you just want the youngest kid to shut up. (That may be me.) The gore is a little, well, title of the film, but there's an effective part when someone manages to stab out the killer's eyes and he wanders around like a blind cyclops for the rest of the picture. Hey, Censor referenced that! The very last scene is effectively cheesy and overall, yeah, I kinda vibed with this. It delivers what it promises and some real tension to boot. Solid nastiness.

(I'll upload the final card after my last reviews.)

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

42. The Ruins (2008)
:420::420::420::420:/5

The most visceral and straight-up scariest flick I've seen in a month of horror films. I went into this one with very low expectations, figuring it was some grimy mid-aughts misery trash. And it is exactly that, but a superbly executed example of its kind.

The plot of The Ruins stages a squad of young American tourists in Mexico who epitomize the "ugly American" stereotype, even after they pick up a German. Naturally they take an excursion to see a newly uncovered Mayan archaeological site - disrespectful tourists partying over another culture's heritage site, what could go wrong? Naturally, a predatory threat emerges that they don't understand. The whole movie could have just hinged off that threat. The monster here is gnarly, merciless, and it has a particularly mean-spirited trick up its sleeve that the film somehow reveals twice to nearly equal effect.

What makes The Ruins so sharp are the Maya locals, who set up a quarantine perimeter and prevent the tourists from leaving the titular ruins, under pain of death. They form the anvil that the monster hammers the main characters against, and completely change the tenor of the story. It's not a Scooby Doo escapade of running away from a ghoulie, it's a wilderness survival pressure cooker, where the group's physical and mental wellbeing is immolated by degrees. The Ruins is a deeply hopeless movie, where the possible outs from the situation seem thinner by the minute, and even prudent, sober decision-making cannot save these people from the spiral of their big colossal fuckup. It's brutal to watch a character briefly describe the future they realize they'll never have - utterly doomed on a beautiful sunny day. Sometimes in the midst of the Americans' suffering we cut to the locals in their vigil; they're not emotionless at the pain of others, and we empathize with them too through their antagonistic role, as every scream trickling down from the summit becomes a warning of what may still yet fall on their heads from the blundering ignorance of others.

So if you love despair and grody body horror, take a look at The Ruins. It ain't perfect, in particular one character ratchets up the mental breakdown way too far to keep the story moving along, but it's probably as good as trashy misery porn horror ever got.

Spooky Bingo: Don't Feed the Plants. The killer plants in The Ruins are much less charming than Audrey II.

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer
64. Carnival of Souls (1962) (rewatch)

While competing in an impromptu drag race, a car containing three women passengers plunges off a bridge and into a river. Three hours later, one of the women, named Mary, appears on the shore, a seemingly inexplicable survivor. Mary, a church organist, soon after moves to Utah to start working in a new church. Beginning on the trip out, however, she starts to see a ghoulish man in a suit following her--a man no one else seems to see. And Mary finds herself strangely drawn to an abandoned carnival ground. Clocking in at a brisk 78 minutes, Carnival of Souls is full of atmosphere from beginning to end. And, appropriately considering its protagonist, the film features an eerie organ score. This was the only feature by director Herk Harvey, whose full-time job was making industrial and educational films. It was highly, and deservedly, influential for a low-budget, low-stature independent film (you can see it clearly in "Night of the Living Dead," among others).

65. Carnival of Souls (1998) (first viewing)

This remake in name only opens with an 11-year-old girl witnessing her mother being brutally raped and murdered by an off-duty clown. After being incarcerated for 20 years, the clown returns to take his revenge on the daughter. When the clown hijacks the daughter's car, she drives it into the river, drowning them both. The rest of the movie takes place in her head as she is dying. Ooops! Did I spoil it for you? Good. I'm loving glad. This "remake" has nothing at all to do with the original. It was 85 minutes long, and I thought I was watching the wrong movie for 85 minutes. It was also one of the worst edited movies I've ever seen. Between the present-day scenes, flashbacks, hallucinations and nightmares, it was impossible to tell what was supposed to be happening. The original is classy and inventive, with great atmosphere and genuinely creepy moments. The remake does the "shaking monster runs directly into the camera" bullshit. They somehow got Wes Craven to plaster this name all over this, too. I'm just glad Herk Harvey didn't live to see this poo poo.

SPOOKY Bingo: This one checks off "They Always Come Back."

66. The Stepfather (1987) (first viewing)

We open on a man working very hard to change his appearance--shaving his beard, trimming his hair, switching from glasses to contacts. He then exits his house, walking pass the butchered remains of his wife and children. Flash forward one year later, and he seems to have settled in as the stepfather to a new wife and teenage daughter. What the family does not know, but the audience soon learns, is that this man is in the habit of moving from family to family, slaughtering them if they do not meet his expectations, then picking a new name, appearance, and town and starting all over again. I was particularly interested in this movie because the titular stepfather is Terry O'Quinn (aka my main man Locke from Lost). O'Quinn gives a great performance as the stepfather, with his phony smile and family values shtick covering the rage underneath. This goes a long way towards keeping some tension in the film because the audience can guess what might set him over the top and wait for his anger to finally boil over.

:siren: SPOOKY BINGO ALERT :siren:

I have completed the entire SPOOKY Bingo card! I can't believe I did it!

Next up: I am thinking I may take advantage of finishing the SPOOKY Bingo new movie marathon and indulge in some old favorites.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
31 The Return of the Living Dead (1985) (rewatch)
Spooky Bingo: none

A bunch of punks and a group of hapless medical-supply clerks are caught up in the thick of things when a chemical leak causes the dead to rise.
A lighthearted spooky dick-around movie. It's bizarrely influential; supposedly it's the source of the trope of zombies desiring brains, and it even spends some time digging into why they do this, and what the experience of being undead is like. Writing this, I wondered if it was also the first "fast zombie" movie, but it turns out that honour goes to something called Nightmare City (1980). Fun characters, strong set design, top-shelf music. I particularly enjoyed Frank, one of the medical supply staff, who was just completely inadequate to the emergency he unleashed; the early scenes wouldn't have been nearly as funny without him. The ending is abrupt, but commits to the bit; there's a bit of this movie in Burn After Reading, of all things.

Charming/5 :spooky:

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

#31. Army of Darkness

Army of Darkness is the best Evil Dead film. I know it it's not, but it is the best.
Skeletons, knights, swordfights, demons, metal hand, chainsaw, shotgun, terrific one-liners, Bruce really hamming it up, everything about it is just an absolute blast. Every time I watch it I discover something new, like how Ash tying down his double's corpse before cutting it up is done in the same, slow method using the same weird chains on a roll as in the cabin. The zoom on every movement when the metal hand is created is hilarious as well, but I don't think I never consciously realized it was happening until now.

And with that I am done for this year. It was quite difficult making it to 31 this time, but that was mostly due to my travels. I'm very happy I rewatched the Evil Dead movies, but everything else was a first and I enjoyed a lot of it. As always the challenges forced me out of my comfort zone and that is one of the reasons I enjoy this thread every year.

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
🎃 Behind the Screams 🎃

Digging Up the Marrow (2014)
Directed by Adam Green
Watched on Hulu

Digging Up the Marrow is a fun concept -- a conspiracy theorist played by Ray Wise approaches a horror director (Adam Green playing himself) with a story about real monsters who live in a secret city under the ground. There are a couple of layers of meta-ness. Everyone except Ray Wise plays themselves. All of the footage we see is shot in the movie itself, so it's found footage style, but it's a found footage movie that documents the process of making a documentary.

Ray Wise is great and Kane Hodder shows up for a brief cameo. Otherwise, the rest of the characters are members of Adam Green's crew. They all do an okay job, but they're not professional actors. There are some legitimately funny and tense moments. I think it could be better if it somehow moved beyond the tropes and limitations of the found footage style. Maybe that's impossible. It's kind of frustrating, actually.

💀💀💀

Spooky Bingo 33/36
1. The Crazies (2010), 2. The Ritual (2017), 3. Blacula (1972), 4. Malignant (2013), 5. Black Sheep (2006), 6. [REC]2 (2009), 7. Demons 2 (1986), 8. Birdemic 2: The Resurrection (2013), 9. The Masque of the Red Death (1964), 10. Night of the Demons (1988), 11. The Witch Who Came from the Sea (1976), 12. Opera (1987), 13. Various Shorts, 14. Sword of God (2018), 15. Thale (2012), 16. Stranger in Our House (1978), 17. The Ruins (2008), 18. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986), 19. Uncle Peckerhead (2020), 20. Werewolves Within (2021), 21. Blood of the Vampire (1958), 22. Winchester (2018), 23. The Perfection (2018), 24. The Spell (2019), 25. The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974), 26. Jennifer’s Body (2009), 27. The Housemaid (2016), 28. Children of the Corn (1984), 29. The Funhouse (1981), 30. Dog Soldiers (2002), 31. The Hands of Orlac (1924), 32. Pandorum (2009), 33. Digging Up the Marrow (2014)

Spooky Travelogue 31/31
1. At Midnight I’ll Take Your Soul 🇧🇷, 2. Pontypool 🇨🇦, 3. Inferno 🇮🇹, 4. The Queen of Black Magic 🇮🇩, 5. The Forest of Lost Souls 🇵🇹, 6. Tumbbad 🇮🇳, 7. The Silent House 🇺🇾, 8. The Phantom Carriage 🇸🇪, 9. Housebound 🇳🇿, 10. I Saw the Devil 🇰🇷, 11. Witchfinder General 🇬🇧, 12. Kuroneko 🇯🇵, 13. The Untold Story 🇭🇰, 14. Brotherhood of the Wolf 🇫🇷, 15. Şeytan 🇹🇷, 16. Rift 🇮🇸, 17. Alison’s Birthday 🇦🇺, 18. The House at the End of Time 🇻🇪, 19. Daughters of Darkness 🇧🇪, 20. 122 🇪🇬, 21. Us 🇺🇸, 22. 2012: Curse of the Xtabai 🇧🇿, 23. Faust 🇩🇪, 24. Rigor Mortis 🇨🇳, 25. Penumbra 🇦🇷, 26. November 🇪🇪, 27. Killbillies 🇸🇮, 28. Alucarda 🇲🇽, 29. Sputnik 🇷🇺, 30. Djinn 🇦🇪, 31. Cold Prey 🇳🇴

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

45) King of New York

Ticking the box for Punk Vacation. This completes column 5 and the right-left diagonal.

Abel Ferrara is, along with Alex Cox, the punkiest of directors. After ten years making small budget movies, he was finally able to secure a decent chunk of cash to make his dream movie about a crime lord who gets out of prison and decides to take over the New York drug trade to fund the local community hospital. Now, most directors would take a look at their funding and think "great, I can make this movie look really polished". But this is Abel Ferrara, and he said "great, I can hire decent actors and get permission to shoot on some of my locations". You'll spend a lot of time watching this movie noticing people. "Hey, there's Giancarlo Esposito and Steve Buscemi, and Laurence Fishburne before ecology campaigners tried pushing him into the sea. And that's David Caruso playing an rear end in a top hat instead of being one, and Theresa Randle - holy poo poo, that's Wesley Snipes! And he's paying tax!"

Anyway, the movie. It's all about Frank White, as played by Christopher Walken. There are other very strong characters like Fishburne's Jimmy Jump, but in the final analysis the movie lives or dies on Frank and Walken plays the part perfectly. He is thoughtful, polite, determined and a complete animal. He hobnobs with public figures, patronises the arts and eats at fine restaurants, stays in a suite at a swank hotel, then goes back to his lair in a slum after murdering a competitor or just someone who won't do business with him on the terms he dictates. And that's the man himself - his urbanity is a mask for a constant threat. Every time there is a scene without him in it but with someone he's interacted with in a negative way, you expect him or his gang to appear and start killing. But Frank wears the mask to hide from himself as well. He wants to be seen as, if not the good man, the businessman who seeks to give back at least some of what he takes.

In summary: KoNY is an excellent study of a monster who wants to be a man.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Oct 30, 2021

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

October 30
The Pit and the Pendulum

After a packed month, I've finally got some time this weekend to enjoy things. So I'm going to be watching quite a bit this weekend. First up, Stuart Gordon's Pit and the Pendulum. Okay, it's Edgar Alan Poe's Pit and the Pendulum, but that keeps it apart from Roger Corman's Pit and the Pendulum.

Bruteman posted:

54) The Pit and the Pendulum (1991)
Trailer
Seen on: Tubi

In Toledo, Torquemada is having a grand time holding cadaver synods, burning people at the stake, and torturing people to get them to confess to being witches. A baker and his wife are his latest victims and Torquemada lusts after her as she learns how to be a witch.

This movie is rife with incident but not an especially strong plot. There's plenty of torture scenes, though! The original story is too slight to be a movie on its own so adaptations have to basically bolt a completely new story onto them. In this case, Gordon added on another Poe story and not much else. I couldn't care about the bakers, they were as bland as you could get. The torturers were set up to be a bit campy but it clashes with the tone of the rest of the movie.

Lance Henrikson is carrying this movie as Torquemada. His crazy religious fanatic is the only reason to watch it.

Okay, there's one other notable scene where a witch takes advantage of being burned at the stake to get some revenge similar to Good Omens. The book came first, but they were so close together that I doubt Gordon was ripping that scene off.

The torture scenes are a bit grizzly, especially the eponymous pendulum where a bunch of rats are tosses in to chew on our hero for that extra special torture. The inevitable "strip her naked to show the audience" scene, OTOH, I could have done without.

I'm left with pretty mild feelings on this one. It's not the bottom of Stuart Gordon barrel, but it's also nowhere near as creative or interesting as his best. I wanted more from the movie than I got.

Let's see... on SPOOKY this goes down as Picnic at Hanging Rock.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

81 (127). Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin (2021)
Directed by William Eubank; Written by Christopher Landon
Watched on Paramount+

Next of Kin is a pretty different kind of Paranormal Activity, for better and worse. It feels pretty much entirely stand alone and like a spinoff, much more than Marked Ones the advertised “spin off” that actually does the most work of any of the films to try and piece all bits of lore and movies together. Next of Kin might have some loos connections to the bigger conspiracy and supernatural happenings of PA but its nothing that you need or that stands out to someone who just got done binging all the movies over the last week. And that’s honestly probably for the best. PA’s meta plot is weird and I’m not sure especially worth continuing. Instead Next to Kin kind of stays true to the idea. Cults messing with demons while cameras are conveniently running. And because its ditched the core setting of PA Next of Kin actually gets to become a different kind of film. The Paranormal Activity films are all “bad stuff happening to people in their home” but Next of Kin gets to play with that old horror idea of “people making bad decisions and actively courting the bad stuff.”

And to that end I really enjoyed the film for the most part. Its maybe a little too polished for a found footage film (although that’s lampshades by setting it up as an actual professional attempt at a documentary) but its generally a fun and engaging ride. Emily Bader is a solid and classic final girl, Roland Buck III does a good job standing out and defining himself as a character even though he’s usually behind a camera, and Dan Lippert’s goony Dale is a fun and believable source of comic relief to give the film some nice character. And really this crew gets deep into that whole “No! Don’t go there, you idiots!” thing that is largely absent from the PA films. So it feels new and different and very much not like a tired retread.

I do think it kind of flies off the rails in the last act. That’s not necessarily a bad thing. It does so in a mostly fun way. It doesn’t entirely feel earned or like it belongs to the same film exactly. Like poo poo really gets crazy. And it kind of just punts the whole “found footage” idea there. Like even looking past the old “who edited this?” thing or how they got some of this footage or any of that usually found footage contrivances (that this finish really pushes to their limits) there’s a few moments there where I couldn’t even make sense of where those camera angles were coming from. This isn’t an overly important thing. Like I’m not her ego fight for the integrity of found footage. But I think it affects you as you watch since when you start breaking the rules of your film it kind of takes you out of it. If I spend a moment thinking “that camera angle doesn’t make sense” then I’m no longer in the story. And that last act is a lot more of a spectacle of wild poo poo and ideas than me being engaged in the story I had been up to that point.

So that probably pulls it back for me, but also probably makes it worth checking out for others. I think it was riding a little higher for me until the end and took a step back with that finish. But I do appreciate the wildness of it and for a lot of people I could see that elevating it. In the end if they’re gonna continue making Paranormal Activity films its probably best to just do it like this. Lore be damned, just make individual found footage stories about demons and cult conspiracies. There’s tons of fun potential there. This one’s a bit of a mixed bag but it never lost my interest. My interest shifted from “genuine engagement” to “the gently caress?” but I was engaged. And ultimately I had the kind of fun I want to have here on Halloween weekend.

- (128). Hell House LLC (2015)
Written and directed by Stephen Cognetti
Watched on Amazon Prime

I was just looking for a good spooky horror and this is a recent favorite of mine that I always feel comfortable coming back to. I think the documentary structure of it is maybe a little clunky but it does help structure the film quite a bit. It lets talking heads establish some good exposition early on so we already have a sense of what happens before we get into the act of just watching people see spooky stuff. And it does give them a way to end the film with a punch since they didn’t really have the means to do some big finish with the main story. But the core of the story is still in that basic, familiar found footage journey of people seeing spooky poo poo while a camera is conveniently running.

Hell House actually is a little different in that it takes advantage of the camera NOT rolling at every convenient point. A lot of that feels like its done in the name of covering up limitations of the production and story. Like there’s a lot of “I’m turning on the camera because I heard something spooky” moments. And that’s actually kind of effective in selling the premise since a lot of the time the camera is on way to conveniently during every important conversation and moment. Hell House does dance around that stuff with this and the documentary stuff. They also clearly use it to cover some plot stuff too. Like… why do they stay in this place even after it becomes clear poo poo’s hosed up and dangerous? There’s totally an important reason that convinces them… but that conversation happens off camera. That’s funny and gets us where we need to be. Like you could be annoyed at the blatantness of it handwaving things away, but every haunted house film kind of needs to do it and at least Hell House seems aware enough to make the effort and have some fun with it.

And really they kind of use it effectively to push the “what the hell happened?” idea. Its almost enough to make you want to see a sequel or two that digs into that question. ALMOST. That would be a bad idea, surely. We definitely shouldn’t do that. Nothing good will come from it.

Nah, Hell House kind of works BECAUSE its just spookiness that never fully explains itself. It uses the found footage style well to sell very low tech spooky stuff. The simple act of something being there one second and moving in the few seconds it takes to move the camera on and off. Its very simple stuff but it works. Like a giant game of spooky peek-a-boo. And what more do you really need?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 30, 2021

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

#11 The Reckoning
First time watch
BINGO: Picnic at Hanging Rock

I didn't know anything about Charlotte Kirk before watching this movie, and after doing some research, I'm not going to talk about her personal life/career. What I can say is that she is not a very good actress, or (I can only assume) writer. The Reckoning is a collaboration between Kirk and her hew husband Neil Marshall, who gave us The Descent and Dog Soldiers but has been slowly spiraling out into mediocrity over the last decade. It definitely feels like it was written by two people. Scene-to-scene, the quality of the dialogue changes, and with a film so schizophrenic, it's hard not to assume the parts I liked were written by Marshall.

The set-up is a home run: the lesser-known English witch trials, during the lesser known 'Great Plague' of the 1660s (about twenty years after Witchfinder General/Conqueror Worm takes place, for anyone interested). As a history weirdo, I was very excited for such a niche setting, but all-too-quickly disappointed. A spotlessly clean Kirk gets tortured in full makeup by sexually envious men for an hour or so, sees a few visions of the devil, then does a fifteen minute fight/action scene as if she hasn't been starved and beaten for the last three days. A stronger lead might have been able to sell some of the sillier moments, as might a director who was less focused on showing off how hot his wife is.

It's not all bad. There are some delightfully creepy plague doctors, one truly spectacular kill (head run over by a wagon wheel), and the chronically underrated Sean Pertwee does justice to Price as the Witchfinder, managing to inject just enough humanity into his sadism to stand out from the two-dimensional characters around him. But there's not nearly enough fun to justify 111-minutes, and no shortage of witch-hunt movies more worth your time.

Star Rating: 2/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky::spooky:

#12 The Pale Door
First time watch
BINGO: Something Wicked this Way Comes

Yikes.

Another period piece, more witches.This time, it's the vaguely located American west, and the witches all look like the front-man for Mortiis. I really wanted this to be good, and for the first forty-ish minutes, I was charmed enough by the cast that I could look past the extremely low budget, loose script, and anachronisms. When the actual witches show up though, jumping around like putties from Power Rangers, I felt my heart sink into my stomach, and the movie never recovers.

Shout out to Pat Healy and Stan Shaw for doing their best, and the latter's death scene for some good practical effects, but this whole thing should have been a middling episode of Creep Show, not a feature. Bonus demerits for one of the most mystifying historical inaccuracies I've ever seen, where a flashback shows the witches fleeing Salem in the 1600s, and being caught in a fully functioning frontier town. In the American west. In the 1600s.

Star Rating: 1.5/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky:

#13 Black Christmas
First time watch
BINGO: Holiday Massacre

Now THIS is more like it. Black Christmas blew me away. Because of its setting in a sorority, I had always filed it away in my head with the likes of Slumber Party Massacre or any number of banausic naked-women-get-stabbed flicks. The critical regard finally got me to sit down and watch it, and this is now one of my favorites.

There's almost too much good to talk about, so I'll just rattle things off: The characters are all likeable, well-acted, and given enough depth with their limited screen time to make you root for every one of them. The social politics are astoundingly good for 1974 (and probably a reminder of how far we fell in the Reagan years). The red herring works, and the actual killer is truly demented and unhinged, without a trace of coolness; the stars are definitely the ordinary women he's hunting. The movie's take on the cops is nuanced and believable - John Saxon is honestly doing some very good community policing, but is let down at every turn by the sexism and incompetence of his coworkers.

Before this month, I'd never heart of Art Hindle, but between The Brood and his small role here, I've taken a real shine to him. The shot of the killer watching from the crack in the door is iconic. That slow pan out is the perfect ending to this.

Honestly, I know it's heresy to say it, but this is the movie I always wanted Halloween to be, and I could easily see this becoming a yearly rewatch. Hell, maybe I'll put it back on in a couple of months.

Star Rating: 5/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

#14 Hellraiser
Rewatch

One of my favorites, this time screened for a few people who'd never seen it.

I don't need to say much: the effects are all rad, both the ones that work - like the amazing resurrection scene, second only to the one from Hellraiser 2 - and the goofy puppets.

My friends were all predictably surprised that the Cenobites aren't actually the central antagonists, and immediately wanted to see more of them. Everyone was ranking their favorites.

I've seen this enough times now that it's faults are pretty hard to miss, but it's still drat impressive for a director's first feature, and short enough that some wonky exposition/pacing can be forgiven. Love Barker, love this.

Star Rating: 4/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

#15 Tumbbad
First time watch
BINGO: डरावनी

A wonderful surprise. I'm a sucker for horror fantasy, and any movie that plays with religious mythology beyond the usual western Christianity. The 'moral' of the whole thing is not particularly subtle, but that doesn't bother me when it's put across with this much style.

I loved the recurring musical segments, the design work, and especially the grandmother monster. This felt like a Guillermo del Toro flick in the best way.

The pacing is a bit weird; it felt like it was dragging on a bit while I was watching, but after seeing the whole thing, I'm not sure I would cut anything. It's just not usual for a horror movie to cover such a long period of time.

For one movie, I found the health warning that popped up in the bottom left whenever a character smoked to be charming, but I bet it would get old pretty fast if I was watching a ton of Indian films.

Star Rating: 4/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky::spooky::spooky:

#16 Trick' r Treat
First time watch
BINGO: Tales of Terror

I know this is a favorite for a lot of people, but I thought it was just 'ok'. I do like how the stories are interwoven, rather than played in sequence, but none of them felt particularly weighty or surprising. It's got a great cast, and I'm always happy to see Dylan Baker and Brian Cox, but every segment felt like it needed maybe one beat more to get me invested before it wrapped up.

The highlight is definitely Sam. I'm not sure he could support a whole movie just on his own without losing his goofy appeal, but I love his little pouty face when he gets his pumpkin guts sprayed everywhere.

I think this interconnected style would work well for a short anthology series, ala Tales from the Crypt or the new Creepshow, where the stories got a little more room to breathe.

Star Rating: 3/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky::spooky::spooky:

#17 Don't Breathe
First time watch

With how quickly this kicks off, I was skeptical it could sustain 90 minutes, but good pacing and an excellent sense of geography keeps this trucking along. A lot if it is pretty forgettable (outside of THAT scene), but it's certainly a fun watch in the moment.

Stephen Lang is very much the central attraction here, but HOLY poo poo am I not interested in seeing a movie where this character is the hero/protagonist. No idea what they were thinking with regards to the sequel.

Star Rating: 3/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky: :spooky: :spooky:

#18 The Taking of Deborah Logan
First time watch
BINGO: The Devil Made Me Do It

As a Virginian, I'm a sucker for anything set in Ye Olde Dominion, and Alzheimer's is probably my biggest fear, so I was uniquely primed to enjoy this. Still, there's a lot to like about this even from an objective standpoint.

I was worried initially by how unlikable the documentary crew is, but the movie makes the excellent decision to relegate them to the background. The focus is on Jill Larson and Anne Ramsay, and they turn in a pair of great performances that really hold this whole thing together.

The physical transformation of Deborah as she loses control of her body is top-notch, with some great moments of body horror. Other standout scenes are the audience surrogate bailing on the movie 3/4 of the way through, and the final confrontation in the caves, which features a truly unforgettable shot.

Prior to this, I had zero interest in the Escape Room movies, but maybe Adam Robitel deserves a few more hours of my attention.

Star Rating: 3.5/5
Spooky Rating: :spooky::spooky::spooky::spooky:

BINGO CARD

Edit: I appear to have surpassed my :spooky: allotment

Leatherhead fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Nov 1, 2021

twernt
Mar 11, 2003

Whoa whoa wait, time out.
🎃 डरावनी 🎃

Main Zaroor Aaunga (2019)
मैं ज़रूर आऊंगा
Directed by Chandrakant Singh

Main Zaroor Asunga is ludicrous and occasionally entertaining, but not very good. Lisa and Peter killed Lisa’s husband, Yash, but maybe Yash isn’t actually dead? As far as the plot goes, that’s about it and everything plays out the way you’d expect.

There is an enormous chunk of time devoted to flashbacks explaining things that don’t really need to be explained. Lisa and Peter were having an affair! The problem is that there aren’t any visual cues to differentiate the flashbacks and the movie cuts back and forth seemingly at random. In addition, Lisa keeps having nightmares in which interesting things happen. Oh he’s dead! No wait, it was another nightmare. It’s very disorienting. On the plus side, Main Zaroor Asunga was shot in Switzerland, so there’s plenty of beautiful mountain scenery.

💀1/2

Spooky Bingo 34/36
1. The Crazies (2010), 2. The Ritual (2017), 3. Blacula (1972), 4. Malignant (2013), 5. Black Sheep (2006), 6. [REC]2 (2009), 7. Demons 2 (1986), 8. Birdemic 2: The Resurrection (2013), 9. The Masque of the Red Death (1964), 10. Night of the Demons (1988), 11. The Witch Who Came from the Sea (1976), 12. Opera (1987), 13. Various Shorts, 14. Sword of God (2018), 15. Thale (2012), 16. Stranger in Our House (1978), 17. The Ruins (2008), 18. The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 (1986), 19. Uncle Peckerhead (2020), 20. Werewolves Within (2021), 21. Blood of the Vampire (1958), 22. Winchester (2018), 23. The Perfection (2018), 24. The Spell (2019), 25. The Living Dead at Manchester Morgue (1974), 26. Jennifer’s Body (2009), 27. The Housemaid (2016), 28. Children of the Corn (1984), 29. The Funhouse (1981), 30. Dog Soldiers (2002), 31. The Hands of Orlac (1924), 32. Pandorum (2009), 33. Digging Up the Marrow (2014), 34. Main Zaroor Aaunga (2019)

Spooky Travelogue 31/31
1. At Midnight I’ll Take Your Soul 🇧🇷, 2. Pontypool 🇨🇦, 3. Inferno 🇮🇹, 4. The Queen of Black Magic 🇮🇩, 5. The Forest of Lost Souls 🇵🇹, 6. Tumbbad 🇮🇳, 7. The Silent House 🇺🇾, 8. The Phantom Carriage 🇸🇪, 9. Housebound 🇳🇿, 10. I Saw the Devil 🇰🇷, 11. Witchfinder General 🇬🇧, 12. Kuroneko 🇯🇵, 13. The Untold Story 🇭🇰, 14. Brotherhood of the Wolf 🇫🇷, 15. Şeytan 🇹🇷, 16. Rift 🇮🇸, 17. Alison’s Birthday 🇦🇺, 18. The House at the End of Time 🇻🇪, 19. Daughters of Darkness 🇧🇪, 20. 122 🇪🇬, 21. Us 🇺🇸, 22. 2012: Curse of the Xtabai 🇧🇿, 23. Faust 🇩🇪, 24. Rigor Mortis 🇨🇳, 25. Penumbra 🇦🇷, 26. November 🇪🇪, 27. Killbillies 🇸🇮, 28. Alucarda 🇲🇽, 29. Sputnik 🇷🇺, 30. Djinn 🇦🇪, 31. Cold Prey 🇳🇴

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Leatherhead posted:

#11 The Reckoning

A spotlessly clean Kirk gets tortured in full makeup
Yeah, this was my takeaway as well. Like it stands out and kills the entire idea of the film. It feels way too much like a vanity piece meant to showcase her as a star to the point where she had to look like a movie star at all moments. And that feels like an unfortunate messed up priority for such a good director in Marshall.

That and the ending feels like a weird setup for a sequel or more like the pilot for a tv series. I actually ended up stumbling on all that other information because I went researching the movie assuming I'd find it was a failed pilot (especially since Marshall's success has become in doing stuff like Game of Thrones).

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

StrixNebulosa posted:

Going from Liquid Sky to The Thing From Another World (1951) was one hell of a bad move in retrospect. One's a queer punk fever dream that excels at what it does, and one's the most strait-laced white straight military thing that does okay, I guess.

This is the most anti-punk movie possible and I wish I'd picked something else. It may have exactly 2 stars for the good dogs who were so happy to be in the movie. The sled dogs were all "yay! I am pulling a sled and being around people!" and I love them dearly.

(ps I'm so happy John Carpenter remade this movie and tweaked the concept into something really killer, because that's a 5/5 movie)

Agreed on this one, I know a lot of people like it but it doesn't do anything for me. Same with the original Invasion of the Body Snatchers to some extent, they've just aged so poorly in my mind.

Skrillmub posted:

37. The Bloodhound

Some guy moves into his childhood friend's house... with spooky results.

This movie wants to be a tense slow burn but doesn't pull it off.
Mostly it's the actors' fault. Most of the run time is just the two leads talking to each-other and neither one is good enough to carry that.
The weird rich guy manages to be weird, but never seems like he could actually be menacing.
The other guy has no personality. I called him "some guy" up there because I know nothing at all about him.
This kind of movie lives on the sense that there may or may not be a threat. The Bloodhound tell you there is one in the opening shots, and then meanders around with nothing for a while, and then ends with nothing.
It's apparently a modern retelling of Poe's The Fall of the House of Usher. I read a synopsis of the story after watching the movie and it sounds a lot better.

1.5/5

I actually really enjoyed this, it reminded me a lot of a Yorgos Lanthimos film, especially in the weird stilted dialogue. I definitely understand why it's not for everyone though.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

(8) Bride of Frankenstein- (James Whale 1935)

This is a solid sequel to the original film with an interesting framing device of the real authors discussing the first film. Strangely though, this framing device is soon forgotten and not revisited once throughout the film. Throughout the film, people are shown to be monsters themselves between the new obsessed scientist or some of the towns people. There are some notable exceptions like the blind hermit, and the Dr. Frankenstein himself is trying to reform himself. But Frankenstein's Monster is still a killer. He straight up murders two villagers in the beginning and just throws a guy off a roof for little reason near the end. Maybe he just needs to learn to control his emotions. The ending with the bride rejecting the monster and forgiving Dr. Frankenstein is solid. A new race created by humans are shown to be incompatible for this world denying us true Godhood.

Spooky Bingo: Picnic at Hanging Rock

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, this was my takeaway as well. Like it stands out and kills the entire idea of the film. It feels way too much like a vanity piece meant to showcase her as a star to the point where she had to look like a movie star at all moments. And that feels like an unfortunate messed up priority for such a good director in Marshall.

That and the ending feels like a weird setup for a sequel or more like the pilot for a tv series. I actually ended up stumbling on all that other information because I went researching the movie assuming I'd find it was a failed pilot (especially since Marshall's success has become in doing stuff like Game of Thrones).

Yeah, her presentation on screen really stands out compared to say, Titane, which I watched later in the month, where the lead spends a similar amount of time naked but with a much grislier take on the human body. Or even compared to the dirtiness of Marshall's own The Descent.

Honestly, Kirk's whole career is kind of queasy in a way I'm not comfortable really laying into because that conversation gets gendered real quick. Presumably Marshall's not some wide-eyed schoolboy who needs to be protected from his wife, but it's still disappointing to see him directing his energies this way.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
Got a SPOOKY BINGO finally. Should be able to get one more before the end of the challenge!

27. Beyond the Door (1974)
(dir. Ovidio G. Assonitis, Robert Barrett)
Shudder
:spooky: SPOOKY bingo: "The Devil Made Me Do It" :spooky:

An Italian film that rips off both The Exorcist and Rosemary’s Baby in equal measure, while adding it’s own brand of weirdness to the proceedings - funk music, foul-mouthed children, literal cans of pea soup, and an unnecessarily complicated plot. It’s at its best when it does its own bonkers thing, and the first half of the film is filled with the kind of inexplicable weirdness that fans of knockoff Italian horror (like me!) will love. There’s a cool scene near the middle of the film in a child’s bedroom that I really liked where the toys become possessed, light shines up through the floorboards, and the whole room starts to tilt and shake. Unfortunately the climax of the film is mostly just scenes ripped directly from The Exorcist (spinning heads, levitation, gross vomit, etc) and it’s much less interesting during these parts.

Not a ton to say about this - if you like janky ‘70s Italian horror I think this is fun enough, but there are some dull parts that stop me from rating this any higher.

3.5 cans of pea soup out of 5

28. Tales from the Darkside: The Movie (1990)
(dir. John Harrison)
Amazon
:spooky: SPOOKY bingo: "Tales of Terror" :spooky:

A horror anthology based on the ‘80s TV series of the same name, much in the same vein as Tales From the Crypt or Creepshow. Like most anthologies, the quality of the segments varies, but for the most part this is solid. The framing story - a little boy who has been kidnapped by a witch reads her scary stories to delay being killed and eaten - is a little dumb, but it’s serviceable.

My favorite segment was the first, about a university student who uses an ancient mummy to get revenge on classmates who cheated him. The cast is impressive (Steve Buscemi, Christian Slater, and Julianne Moore) and mummies are a severely underused movie monster. The second part, based on a story by Stephen King, is about a hitman hired to kill a cat that has been terrorizing an old rich man (William Hickey). This one is mostly forgettable, but it does have an extremely gross and fun ending. The final segment is a sort of monster story combined with a romance - it features a great creature design and some fantastic practical effects, but the plot is only OK.

Overall a decent anthology with excellent practical effects.

3.5 black cats out of 5

Total: 28
Watched: Hellraiser | Hellbound: Hellraiser II | Jennifer's Body | The Lords of Salem | The Bride of Frankenstein | Motel Hell | V/H/S/94 | Scream of Fear | Evil Dead Trap | The Masque of the Red Death | The Lure | The House that Screamed | Trouble Every Day | No One Gets Out Alive | Halloween (2018) | Halloween Kills | Class of 1999 | The Little Shop of Horrors (1960) | The Wicker Man | "Short Cuts" | Titane | Interview with the Vampire | Angst | Theater of Blood | Almost Human | Eyes of Laura Mars | Beyond the Door | Tales from the Darkside: The Movie

gey muckle mowser fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 30, 2021

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

#87) No Place to Hide (1992; digital)

A Cannon Video giallo? Eh, not quite. A cop (Kris Kristofferson) ends up protecting a young woman (Drew Barrymore) after her ballerina sister dies on-stage from slasher wounds and the killer comes after the surviving sister. And then there's a secret society with occult overtones angle slapped on.

Most of the movie is spent on the 'getting to know you' arguments of the cop and the teen, which are nowhere near as endearing as the writer/director (Richard Danus, in his only non-TV credit for either position) apparently thought they were. It feels like about half the movie is spent on their spats. We also get a lot of voice-over narration explaining extremely obvious things. The killer at the start is stylishly done, shot mostly in silhouette, but after that, it's basic early-'90s thriller hitmen for the most part. Dull and predictable, without nearly enough capitalization on the secret society hook.

“You're just a little smart-rear end, aren't you? How old are you, smart-rear end?”

Rating: 5/10

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
took a break from movies to watch some squid games, but I'm back with...

31)Jack-O 1995

not great! I fell asleep half-way through it last night, and had to have a second go this morning Feels like a tv movie from at least a decade earlier, and a bad one at that.I do like the monster design. It's simple but effective, and looks like a high end halloween costume at the time, or a leftover from the goosebumps tv show. Feel like this is the kind of movie that's ripe for a remake. A nostalgic halloween set 90s period piece. A little surprised netflix or hulu hasn't gotten on that. Anyway it's just mostly boring

:spooky::spooky:/5

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

46) Evil Dead II: Dead By Dawn

Ticking the box for Video Games Cause Violence.

I was putting King of New York back on the shelf when I noticed the Evil Dead 2 DVD and realised that while I've owned it for at least ten years, I never actually got round to watching it. I also knew that there was an Evil Dead video game released on 8-bit computers in the mid-1980s, and wondered if it counted. Checking, I learned that there are in fact six Evil Dead video games and two of them cover the whole trilogy, with the upcoming new game also including Ash Vs Evil Dead. So it's fair game.

One of the reasons I'd never watched ED2 is because I'd heard it was just a humorous retread of the original. Which, to be fair, it is. But it gets the retreading part out of the way fairly swiftly and the remaining hour or so is just more of the same, which as a directly following sequel is not as bad as it sounds. ED2 is in fact intended to do all the same things again except with more money so it looks better - well, a bit better anyway. The stop motion is still pretty crude. But the makeup is greatly improved, and there are gallons of blood in at least four different colours.

Summary: charmingly idiotic, but I'd rather watch Evil Dead as a horror movie or Army of Darkness as a comedy.

Skrillmub
Nov 22, 2007

38. Alive (2018)

A seriously injured man wakes up in an asylum... with spooky results.

The first hour of this movie are a perfectly average trapped by a weirdo horror film.
It was kind of refreshing, this late into the challenge, to watch something that's just what you expect and does everything just fine.
It also moved along quickly and didn't stop for pointless backstory or filler.
The acting wasn't exactly great, but it wasn't distractingly bad or anything.
The last act gets much higher energy, much crazier and elevates it a bit above the average.
And then, the very final 5 minutes or so presents a twist so ridiculous, so out of nowhere, such complete loving nonsense, that I love this movie. Never, ever have I ever expected secret Frankensteins.

4.5/5

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

82. Shock Waves [1977]

A movie where it felt like there was a lot of wasted potential both on the build up and anticipation of the scares and then ultimately what the villains of the story kinda do to dispatch our heroes and the overall narrative. Like there's so much to mine about Nazi experimentation and these admittedly cool ideas about these sunken soldiers coming back from the dead for the man who turned them into monsters. Than you have the greatest waste which is Pete Cushing in a scar and you dont do much with him? I dunno, this was such wasted potential on a cool concept and a cool poster.

2 :thunkin: out of 5

83. The Silence of the Lamb [1991]

It's a classic, just down to the bone. Such haunting imagery, lasting technical merit (those camera whips and transitions are still defining camera work now) and just a recognized stacked cast of amazing talent that delivers one of the best stories of the 20th century. Say what you will about the rest of the franchise (beyond Hannibal being some drat fine television, Manhunter also being prime work and Red Dragon being ok to good, the rest is pretty bad), but this one really defines not just an era of horror but a turn of cultural sights. I dont think we have this nearly three decade rise of the True Crime genre without this story, movie and characters.

5 :thunkin: out of 5

84. Tales From the Hood [1995] ~Horror Noire~

It's a hell of a picture that packs a real wallop still. Just crazy effective stories punctuated with real life manifestations of these demons that lurk in peoples minds. It's almost relentlessly paced, but still leaves plenty of time for the individual stories to really build and broaden their scopes beyond their individual runtimes. Probably the genre's best in regards to anthology horror movies. Just understands not only can you scare the poo poo out of someone with an effective spooky story, but you can cut right to the core while doing so and leave the viewer with something to really think about and chew over for awhile in their head.

4 :thunkin: out of 5

85. Bad Moon [1996] ~Full Moon~

This was a lot of fun tbh. Just a rock solid movie at 80 minutes with very little fat on the cut that maybe they could've padded it out a bit more to bring out more of the stories own takes on the mythos of the werewolf I think. That could've been very cool if we got a bit more of that and a bit more kills, but otherwise what we do have is a really fun and lean werewolf movie with some great bloody bits and a hero dog that wraps the whole picture around its paw. Solid solid movie front to back.

86. A Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master [1988]

Dream Master was better than I remembered, but maybe not as great as the best of the series. It's still got some rock solid Freddy moments and I suppose that's what you're going for when you hit the fourth entry in the series. As long as we have some goofy Freddy and some unique nightmare scenarios than the movie gets a pass. Solid if not maybe broadly too dumb and starting to throw bits of the lore out of the window for something a bit more consumable.

3 :thunkin: out of 5

87. Edge of the Axe [1988]

This one was a surprise because I was sorta starting to hate it at the beginning and start of the mid section, but then it takes off like a rocket and I'm strapped in ready to go for what is a great ending that took me by surprise (or maybe I missed all the cues), but this one was drat fun and had some solid gore (though it's never not going to be funny seeing the plastic axe being thudded against someones body as if that's causing the damage, suspension of disbelief!), but maybe needed some one more pass in the script front. Otherwise this was dang solid for the era and I'm glad I finally got around to checking it out.

3 and a half :thunkin: out of 5

88. Antropophagus [1980]

My review on Letterboxd summed up my thoughts on this one pretty succinctly. It's definitely a video nasty with the baby eating and all that but eh, just too slow. The atmosphere didnt feel foreboding at all, more confusing than anything else. A lot like Shock Wave I think there's a kernel of a great story idea here, but it never full develops beyond the synopsis. If someone were to be so brave I could see a real hosed up and cool remake of this happening, but that definitely wont ever happen, but there's something to this. Otherwise theres like a scene or two of good gore but man it just sucked. The posters are the best thing about this movie and way more evocative of something that doesnt exist in its runtime. Just stare at the posters for 90 minutes and your imagination will fill in the gaps much better.

half :thunkin: out of 5

89. Blood Feast [1963]

Maybe I'm just not a Herschel Gordon Lewis guy. The gore is top notch and I get the "so bad its good" sorta thing, but even with only like a 70 minute runtime I was still checking my watch. Maybe it just works better with a crowd? I dunno, this is my third HGL movie and while like I said, they're fun I dunno if they're really for me. Maybe its the aesthetic or maybe I need to do some reading on this era of horror, but yea its fine. Dopey and weird, but the gore is cool.

3 :thunkin: out of 5

90. Singapore Sling [1990]

I dont even know where to start with this one. It's real hard. Like a rock to peer any further than the film allows. It's stubborn and uninviting and constantly making you rethink your decisions in spending time with it, but then there is moments where you know there isnt quite anything else like this. From this perspective and leering at these sick people. There's a dissolution of the 4th wall that sucks you in to the fibers of the soaked bed sheets and makes you live in it. It's deeply unpleasant, but there's something incredibly humorous about it all. Like a foreign cousin of Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, but its european so its a bit more classy (sorta).

91. A Nightmare on Elm Street: The Dream Child [1989]

Not great, this is where I'm falling off the Freddy train here. Just a weak dumb story all around. The best bit was the motorcycle transformation gag and the ending stuff with Freddy getting ripped apart that was cool, but yea just dont dig one that much. some solid stuff here and there, but yea the weaker of the franchise.

2 and a half :thunkin: out of 5

92. The Prowler [1981]

The Prowler is just great. Probably my favorite between Valentine and Friday part 2 for the best slasher of 81 (not counting Halloween 2, doesnt stack up). I just dig the vibe and the kills/gore are some of the best Savini has done in his career (def the best head exploding moment of his career at the least, this one is just super gnarly). Dopey characters otherwise, but its carried by a good atmosphere, the best gore and a pretty subdued but workman soundtrack. a classic.

93. Halloween III: Season of the Witch [1982]

This is just a cool movie. I dig the premise, the atmosphere and the cool villain goons. Even Tom Atkins' goony rear end is cool in this movie (if not a big creeper). Yea a good movie that I think I rated a bit lower last year and higher this year. I think that's just because the UHD edition that just came out looks so drat good.

94. Paranormal Activity: Next of Kin [2021]

I begrudgingly watched this one. If it werent so fresh I probably wouldnt have considering my ultimately timid thoughts on the PA series as a whole. I feel like if you read the synopsis on this one you can basically gleam how its all going to play out. It's all fairly rote if you've been keeping up with these movies and the lore going on between all of them. I called pretty much every beat of this movie within the first 10 minutes of the setup. Some solid gags here and there, but the ghostly ones border on just being screamer style scares. The cool stuff is all at the end, but by then you're really wondering what has all this really been for? Not much I'd say, but if you're on the PA train to begin with, might as well see where the tracks continue to lead.

2 and a half :thunkin: out of 5

dorium fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 3, 2021

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

30. A variety of Homestar Runner Ween Toons
Watched On:
YouTube
Fran Challenge: Short Cuts

After an exhausting week and a bedbug scare at work, I flopped down in bed and threw on some comfort videos. I think I’ve been watching HR stuff for as long as I’ve been browsing the forums.

Pumpkin Carve-navel (6:18): classic early HR. Features the Wu Tang pumpkin and Homsar dressed up as Ghost Dog

3 Times Halloween Funjob (8:13): “Hey, guys. What's up? What are we doing here? Making omelettes? Going to the bathroom? I'm cool with that.” Homestar gets a million libs of whatsit for Halloween

Halloween Fairstival (6:45): turns out you can cure the hiccups by paying someone ten bucks

Happy Hallo-Day (5:18): Halloween just isn’t very scary when the sun refuses to set

Jibblies 2 (8:29): featuring one of the only slightly scary bits in these toons, being trapped for all eternity in a painting

Most In The Graveyard (7:51): 'In loving memory of Strong Sad "willed himself to death 10/31/2008"'

I Killed Pom-Pom (10:09): sometimes you have to cover up a murder, even if your alibi is that you ate a giant pile of crap

Haunted Photo Booth (7:42): featuring my favorite obscure costume, Power Alley Dale Murphy

Mr. Poofers Must Die (9:26): the only other potentially scary thing in these cartoons. After everyone can’t tell a story in which Mr. Poofers dies, they now must worship this cloud dog as their new god

1. Prince of Darkness 2. Possessor 3. The Strange Vice of Mrs. Wardh 4. Death Walks On High Heels 5. Death Wish Club 6. There’s Someone Inside Your House 7. The Devils Rain 8. The Stuff 9. Dead Heat 10. Attack of the Crab Monsters 11. The Wasp Woman 12. Graveyard Shift 13. VHS94 14. Troll 2 15. Killer Klowns From Outer Space 16. Berberian Sound Studio 17. WNUF Halloween Special 18. Arcade 19. Video Nasties 20. Masque of the Red Death 21. Cat People 22. Dolls 23. Day of the Triffids 24. Highway to Hell 25. Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2 26. Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla 27. Deadbeat At Dawn 28. Wolf Guy 29. Perfect Blue 30. A Homestar Runner Halloween

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
28. Saint Maud

An atmospheric slow burn but worth the wait. Well paced and entertaining throughout, however the biggest compliment I can levy is that this gave me my biggest scare of the whole month. I don't know if it was actually scary or I was just unprepared but in the next to last scene when Maud's former patient looks and speaks like she's possessed gave me goosebumps and I was quite uncomfortable during and for a few minutes after. The following scenes are also incredible and really give a strong end to the film.

29. The Shallows

I saw this in theaters on its original run and I liked it a bunch. As it turns out, its the first and only horror movie I ended up with on 4K UHD but thats ok because it is STUNNING. Perfect movie to watch in 4k. The beautiful beach, the overhead shots of the water, the underwater shots, everything is just gorgeous.

More importantly, this is just a good rear end movie! For my money the best shark attack movie aside from Jaws. Now, you will have to suspend some disbelief because this is the hungriest most vicious shark of all time, but if you can ignore the logical inconsistencies, this movie really delivers on the tension. As I mentioned I had seen it before and even still was startled a few times on second viewing.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

22. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (1998) 🇺🇸Something Wicked this Way Comes

Elvira the horror host heads to a puritanical little town and finds herself up again Edie McClurg and a variety of townspeople as she causes chaos. It’s a fun movie that gave me Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure Vibes which I’m sure wasn’t entirely unintentional. It’s cheesy and playful and features every sexual pun and innuendo you could possibly think of.

I can’t not enjoy this film because I just love Elvira so much. The camp, the silliness, the nostalgia, it’s a tone that I will simply always enjoy. Getting 90 minutes of Elvira is a treat even if there is nothing necessarily groundbreaking or particularly scary. Elvira 4 life.

:spooky:4/5:spooky:

Film list (ranked)
1. Demons* (4.5/5) / 2. Demons 2* (4/5) / 3. Aliens* (4/5) / 4. Scream, Blacula, Scream (4/5) / 5. Dolls (4/5) / 6. House on Haunted Hill* (4/5) / 7. WNUF Halloween Special* (4/5) / 8. VHS 94 (4/5) / 9. Elvira: Mistress of the Dark (4/5) / 10. The Slumber Party Massacre (3.5/5) / 11. Gonjiam: Haunted Asylum (3.5/5) / 12. Tourist Trap (3.5/5) / 13. City of the Living Dead (3/5) / 14. The Void (3/5) / 15. Skull: The Mask (3/5) / 16. Urban Legend (3/5) / 17. Freddy’s Dead: The Final Nightmare (3/5) / 18. The Mortuary Collection (3/5) / 19. Hell House LLC II (2.5/5) / 20. Night Train to Terror (2.5/5) / 21. Screamtime (2/5) / 22. CHUD II: Bud the CHUD (1.5/5)
*=rewatch

WeaponX fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 30, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla Bison
Mar 27, 2010

43. Censor (2021)
:britain: :britain: :britain:/5

Definitely a mistake to watch this one so soon after Saint Maud, which I really enjoyed. Censor is also about a woman who's wound too tight after a scarring incident, but despite being sharply filmed and having some really good atmospherics from video nasty censorship screenings in Thatcher-era Britain, it falls apart in the back half as the plot gives way to the "Was this traumatized person... maybe the hosed-up killer!?!?" flavor of forced ambiguity, a strained and artificial narrative that has more than worn out its welcome (for me, at least).

There's a delicious ethereal vibe in the final scenes. It just wasn't enough wow to put this one over the top. Censor doesn't have the follow-through on its intriguing suggestion in the opener of emotionally damaged people being the agents of media censorship, nor the biting emotional insight of Saint Maud.