Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

spincube posted:

Settings -> System -> Rules has basic options like 'turn on DND/vibrate when I see a specific wifi network or am at a specific location', which might be what you're looking for.

That seems exactly like the thing I was looking for, thank you! Hopefully the battery impact from needing to access location data isn't too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

molestrios posted:

Giant book or tiny wife? I am perplexed

Combo large cookbook and weird perspective

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels
Well my wife's 3A was updated to 12, something she had no advance knowledge of or expectations for. She was driven to near apoplectic rage in her hatred of it so this has been fun.

Meanwhile it seems like there's a number of pixel 2 holdouts in this thread, myself among them. My regular 6 is here now, and I'm... very conflicted. The screen is pretty and the camera is very nice - in fact the camera is mostly why I upgraded. I'm probably overlooking something but I'm not sure there's anything else I actually prefer on the 6 vs the 2. I'm sure it's more powerful or whatever but I don't really game on my phone.

Back at the 2 launch period I originally had an XL, sold it in about a week and switched to the regular 2. The 6 is a hair narrower than the 2XL and I think this does help. On it's own, the giant size doesn't feel bad. I could be OK with that. I think my issue is really navigation in general. I have big hands and I could use this phone one handed, except it fights you about this everywhere. And most of that, I think, is the squarely the fault of you anti-bezel people. You know who you are, you destroyers of all good things. Bezels are objectively beneficial, particularly at the top and bottom of the screen - They allow space to hold the phone, space to fit things like cameras and speakers. And more importantly they move controls away from the absolute loving edge of the screen where they don't work well and are impossible to use one handed. This is the hill I will die on. :colbert:

I am trying my best to get used to the new gestures and give it a fair shot. I actually used the squeeze for assistant feature regularly on the 2, and I do remember that at first that was a bit awkward too, until I got the hang of it. I'm expecting something similar for the tap on the back of the phone thing, which I've set for the assistant. Navigation feels all over the place and confusing though. Swipe for back could work, I guess, but I also feel like this is causing a lot of misclicks near the edge of the screen - It cant tell what I want to do, so it does neither. I completely admit this could be a "need to get used to it" thing too, and if so it won't be bad, maybe. If would help if the right side back-swipe could just be turned off, instead of set to "low".

The bar at the bottom I have just now realized is the application switcher. Again, something I can't use comfortably while balancing the phone in one hand. More than that though the design language on this feels confusing - They've gone for the gigantic boomer bubbles or whatever we're calling them in the notification shade. But the navigation bar is 2 pixels tall and not exactly apparent the different ways that it's an interactable thing? I mean, obviously you learn this if it is your phone. It just feels disjointed.

One handed mode helps with none of this either. It just makes the phone shorter but it takes all of the slack out of the top. If you literally had only one hand, does this actually help you? The shear weight balance of the phone makes it want to tip out of your hand - If it just shifted up half an inch and down from the top you'd have room for all of the controls and a way to grip the thing.

3-button navigation (what happened to 2 button? I thought that replaced the 3 button??) is fine, except again due to the lack of bezels and how they are jammed on the edge of the screen, it can't be comfortably or reliably used one-handed. I supposed i have to give up and accept that I have to use two hands, or a desk surface, to use this phone.

Also the in-screen finger print reader is garbage. Yes, it works absolutely reliably. It's also slow and persnickety about how it is used - A half second delay is an irritating eternity when measured against instantaneous. Compared to the one on the back of my 2 which only ever gave issues if my hands were wet, this is a major step backwards.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Raised by Hamsters posted:

If would help if the right side back-swipe could just be turned off, instead of set to "low".

You actually can with a single adb command, just switch "left" for "right": https://android.gadgethacks.com/how-to/disable-androids-back-gesture-left-side-make-hamburger-menus-easier-open-0338679/

As for one-handed use, I haven't had an issue with that with my Pixel 5 since I have in to gesture navigation, and the top/bottom bezels on the 5 are smaller than the 6, I think. I usually hold it in my right hand with my pinky a bit to the left of the USB port, for reference.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I've gotten the android 12 update, is there a way to get the little icons back? I see to have 5 buttons when I dragged down and now there are just 4 giant ones and a bright white box telling me no notifications.

Can I make the lock screen clock little again?

Edit: why are silent/vibrate/ring now an opening menu?? There are three options, this has saved no taps!! And it doesn't have the little icon at the top saying which mode it's in any more wtf

ilmucche fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Oct 30, 2021

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Well my wife's 3A was updated to 12, something she had no advance knowledge of or expectations for. She was driven to near apoplectic rage in her hatred of it so this has been fun.

this is the guy behind material you

now you know why android 12 is twee as gently caress

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I believe the issue here may be that some of you are trying to use your phones with one hand. Hold with one hand, poke with the other. Better ergonomics, and then you won't complain about the placement of things because it's irrelevant.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

Wheeee posted:

this is the guy behind material you

now you know why android 12 is twee as gently caress
Terrible, Google should just get the guy that made webOS.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

I don't think using two hands is going to change the fact that flipping wifi on/off now takes two taps and that there are fewer buttons on the pull down menu...

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
Holy cow this Sony phone seems insane!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHureRnU8M8

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker
Anyone else get the Coveron screen protector for the 6 Pro? It doesn't seem to work with the fingerprint reader no matter how many times I re-adjust it or try to re-train it.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Sony will use a 1" sensor and still manage to turn out subpar smartphone pictures.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ilmucche posted:

I don't think using two hands is going to change the fact that flipping wifi on/off now takes two taps and that there are fewer buttons on the pull down menu...

Why are you turning off wifi?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

My 6 Pro's battery life is already improving. The adaptive battery thing must take a few days to start to adjust things?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

LastInLine posted:

Maybe bad public wifi? I have to stay on data to browse SA at work (blocked by our wifi for some reason), but sometimes my data is spotty here and I need to hop on wifi for something work related, then back off it to browse the forums

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

CLAM DOWN posted:

My 6 Pro's battery life is already improving. The adaptive battery thing must take a few days to start to adjust things?

Yeah, it says like 3-4 days to learn your habits. There's also something called extreme battery saver that pauses all apps once battery saver is enabled. You can whitelist certain apps that you use, but it works pretty cool. Battery discharge dropped to a crawl when it hit last night.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
6P arrived. Wow this screen is big. I think it's less that the phone is much bigger overall and more that more of the screen is being used. Almost no bezels mean all the space above and below that used to be bezel is now screen. And harder to reach screen at that.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Maybe bad public wifi? I have to stay on data to browse SA at work (blocked by our wifi for some reason), but sometimes my data is spotty here and I need to hop on wifi for something work related, then back off it to browse the forums

There are a lot of maybes I was asking because your situation is exactly why the panel was designed that way according to the link two pages back by blunt and I thought it might apply to ilmucche as well.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

bull3964 posted:

Sony will use a 1" sensor and still manage to turn out subpar smartphone pictures.

Did you watch the video? The photos are unbelievable.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
Coming from a 2 XL, the screen is the first thing I noticed when I powered the 6 pro on the first time. It's huge, even though the phone itself is only slightly bigger.

Some people are complaining about it being slippery, and it is, but IMO the glass on th back is "stickier" than the aluminum of the 2 XL, so I think it's actually a little easier to grip. Case is en route, so I'll give it a shot and see how I like it. Never been a fan of cases, but we'll see. So far, not terribly upset without a case.

Ont issue is the camera bump... Don't mind it on its own, but I'm use to being able to set a phone on a surface hanging slightly over the edge... It has fallen down a few times already. The bump is big enough to create an angle that let's it slide.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

One nice thing about the Google case is that it evens out the camera bump. I found it a little obnoxious before that.

I honestly don't have any serious complaints about Android 12 yet, because it's already second nature to quickly swipe to open the expanded tiles in one motion if I need them, and they're easier to hit than the old icons. The wifi thing I'll have to see how it works in practice, because I did exactly what that article had mentioned -- turning off wifi to get on data, then forgetting to turn it back on and burning through it.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Oct 30, 2021

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

This morning when I turned on the lights the auto brightness decided to just not change. Which meant two swipes down instead of one on Samsungs to manually fix it. Lot of little annoyances with this phone.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Turns out owning a Oneplus was great practice.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

punk rebel ecks posted:

Did you watch the video? The photos are unbelievable.

if my experience as a Sony owner is of any help, it will likely take amazing photos on the 3rd or 4th attempt as long as the lighting is perfect and will (slowly) capture overexposed, softly focused, mostly irredeemable garbage on all the other attempts

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Incessant Excess posted:

Turns out owning a Oneplus was great practice.

you gotta practice pretty hard to keep up with oneplus' self-owns

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I forgot what it was like to have a phone this massive after the weenie that was the 5 but daaaaamn does it look good.
It's a goddamn shame that they dropped the rear fingerprint reader because that poo poo was slick but I guess I'll adapt. But if the pixel 7 has that poo poo again I will definitely upgrade again.
Fedex loving sucks by the way. My tracking number said that it still wasn't delivered, just that it was on the truck ready for delivery all of yesterday and today until I called the place that I chose for delivery hold and they told me that yeah the package was in already. They tried pulling that poo poo on me last February when I ordered a PS5 and I'm 99% sure it was just some crooked Fedex contractor wanting to steal it.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Scrolling on Twitter is rear end for some reason on my 6P, is there some setting I'm missing? I forced the higher refresh rate in the developer menu but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

If you were constantly turning wifi off because of poor connections, did you also disable the auto turn on for wifi? I forget what the setting was actually called but I pretty frequently would have to turn off wifi when I got in my car since my carport was close enough to my router to get a signal but separated by cinder blocks so the signal was poo poo. Anyway I'd turn off wifi to connect to data and then when I got home it would automatically turn my wifi back on and connect to the strong signal.

Anyway loving Android 12, loving the Pixel 6 (nonpro). There doesn't seem to be any shortage of them either, at least at T-Mobile. My wife ordered hers on Wednesday (the 27th) and got hers on Friday. Now we just have to wait for her case!

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I just got 12 too, hate the new scroll animation. Someone fortunately found a way to disable it: https://old.reddit.com/r/GooglePixel/comments/qcadhq/the_overscroll_stretching_in_android_12_is/hhi6b7r/

I definitely hate the new swipe down menu; it's all so big but more importantly I don't want bright rear end blue panes all over my screen when I go to adjust my brightness in darker environments. Like I have Dark Theme enabled everywhere I can and these blue buttons are a giant middle finger to that lol. The chunky blue Brightness slider is especially ugly.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

wandler20 posted:

Scrolling on Twitter is rear end for some reason on my 6P, is there some setting I'm missing? I forced the higher refresh rate in the developer menu but that doesn't seem to be helping.

Yeah dev mode says it's 120hz but it's juddery as hell. Seeing it in other apps too. Turned on my fold 3 again and the screen is so much better in general. :(

Also my brain will never accept "6P" as anything other than the Nexus released in 2015.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Also my brain will never accept "6P" as anything other than the Nexus released in 2015.

Yeah FFS stop calling it the 6P you horrific nerds!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yeah FFS stop calling it the 6P you horrific nerds!

🤷🏻‍♂️ What are we calling it for short?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

LastInLine posted:

I turn off wifi if I'm not using wifi? At work I don't want to use the wifi there, if I'm in my backyard my phone will chug getting little wifi but the data connection is fine.

This update to android 12 seems a lot less user friendly than 11

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Now it's forcing a seasonal theme on my search bar for a day that doesn't really even exist here

Also screenshot is blurry?!

Fawf
Nov 5, 2009

It's Me, It's Me, It's DDD

clicking the date on the home screen opens the weather app and not the calendar, I had to make sure I wasn't fat fingering the weather info underneath because I couldn't believe it

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

wandler20 posted:

🤷🏻‍♂️ What are we calling it for short?

The 6 and the 6$

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Kirk Vikernes posted:

Good because in its normal form, it looks like it was specifically designed for the legally blind. Why is everything so bold and fat? They could have fit 20 easily usable buttons in the quick settings (not that I need that many) but this is poor use of space, imo.

I'm by no means a graphics designer, but this looks loving terrible. lovely accent color and corner radius (and consequently too much whitespace around the text).

--edit: I sure hope Samsung unfucks it visually in OneUI.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Oct 31, 2021

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
I find it difficult to tell how far from maximum the volume is with the new stylishly blobby slider.

Maybe the counterargument is that you should never be at max anyway because it murders your ears, but oh well.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The center point of the upper arc probably needs to be coincident with the tip of the small bar to be at 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minusX
Jun 16, 2007

Say something hideous and horrible jumps out at you. Something so disgusting that it simply must die.
Ah! Oh!..So tacky! I can't...look...directly at it!

Got my 6 Pro I'm and have been using it all day at an anime con so it's been interesting to see how much abuse it takes. Sadly, I get the green flash when I do the power button press when the phone is turned off, guess I'm going to have to RMA sigh.

Edit: Oh and I'm not happy with the curved edges when it comes to text and stuff that goes to the edge of the screen. And my workflow of hitting a notification, being told to login with the num pad, then using the fingerprint reader in the back sucks cuz I have to hit back a few times to get the front fingerprint reader to exist. But whatever. Case (spigen with kickstand) is also nice.

minusX fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Oct 31, 2021