Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Hellblazer187 posted:

Bad eczema on my hands which happens any time I'm sick or stressed out, but otherwise feeling OK.

'sup eczema on hands bro. :hfive:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

QuarkJets posted:

This just makes you look like a dork FYI, if you have the power to take time off then just do it

Why would this make me look like a dork? I have the power to take an absolute poo poo ton of PTO and PSL and I also needed to get my Vaccine. Seems like it makes perfect sense

Delysid
Jul 31, 2003

need another damn shooter

RoastBeef posted:

Texas: Six dead in five shootings; man mauled by dogs.

I Texas Man'd myself and got something about a guy being "entirely consumed by his own dogs" and your reg date = my birth date, heh.

WescottF1
Oct 21, 2000
Forums Veteran
Moderna booster and flu shot at 5:30PM last night. Came home and made a batch of Italian wedding soup (very labor intensive - takes about two hours). Felt fine other than my left/COVID arm was a little sore, flu arm was not.

Got up and went for a haircut. Got home a little before 10 and felt a little tired so I went to lay down for an hour or so. Next thing I knew it's 2PM and I'm just now getting up and feeling lethargic as hell. Left arm is very sore, right still feels fine.

Still worth it.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Got my Pfizer booster last night and the side effects are like dose 2 but dialed up. Almost 102.5 fever, horrible chills, bones ache, head aches, skin aches, can't sleep, so thirsty. Interesting thing is that I got it a couple hours earlier in the evening than my first two, but the next day symptoms timeline followed the same timing. Wonder if there's something tied in with my circadian rhythm.

I am very, very glad I never had covid to my knowledge, I imagine I would have been hosed up by it.

On the other hand, husband is just feeling generally blah.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Captain Yossarian posted:

Why would this make me look like a dork? I have the power to take an absolute poo poo ton of PTO and PSL and I also needed to get my Vaccine. Seems like it makes perfect sense

You said that you scheduled your shots to create a pretense for taking extra time off, just take the time off my friend you don't need an excuse

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

Got my Pfizer booster last night and the side effects are like dose 2 but dialed up. Almost 102.5 fever, horrible chills, bones ache, head aches, skin aches, can't sleep, so thirsty. Interesting thing is that I got it a couple hours earlier in the evening than my first two, but the next day symptoms timeline followed the same timing. Wonder if there's something tied in with my circadian rhythm.

I am very, very glad I never had covid to my knowledge, I imagine I would have been hosed up by it.

It hit me in a similar way. Good news for you is those side effects only lasted for a night and a day or so. I was pretty much 100% after that. So you probably won't feel awful for too long.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I felt like poo poo for days after AZ. My 19 year old son had a bit of a sleep for an hour on the sofa the day after his and then got up like “I’m fine now! Where’s lunch?”

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

It hit me in a similar way. Good news for you is those side effects only lasted for a night and a day or so. I was pretty much 100% after that. So you probably won't feel awful for too long.

Oh yeah, this is maybe 20% worse than dose 2 and for that I woke up the next day feeling 100% until a little slump in the afternoon then nothing. It was really bizarre.

And I definitely am not upset that I have side effects! I appreciate my immune system very much. And it's an excuse to groan on the couch and not do anything constructive.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
https://twitter.com/NoahGarfinkel/status/1454581819760787459
https://twitter.com/NoahGarfinkel/status/1454584692989067264

Phished around, found out

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Down with disease.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BC96ZQHMWaY

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Study out of Israel showing a massive boost in protection from a third pfizer shot vs just two
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02249-2/fulltext
Those with the third shot had 88% fewer documented infections than those with just two, and similarly large reductions in symptomatic cases, hospitalizations and deaths.
You can see the incidence of infections in each age group drop in the order they were approved for third shots.

Looks like they are at least as big a deal as we thought.

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Scarodactyl posted:

Study out of Israel showing a massive boost in protection from a third pfizer shot vs just two
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(21)02249-2/fulltext
Those with the third shot had 88% fewer documented infections than those with just two, and similarly large reductions in symptomatic cases, hospitalizations and deaths.
You can see the incidence of infections in each age group drop in the order they were approved for third shots.

Looks like they are at least as big a deal as we thought.

This is a relief to hear, can't wait to get my booster. It has been 84 days since I got dose 2 of pfizer so I'm still protected but yeah.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Got my mix-and-match Pfizer booster at a Walgreen's yesterday, from a nice pharma bro who seemed stoned out of his gourd. Nothing so far but a sore arm and a general feeling of unease, but I got my second Moderna around the same time of day as the booster and I didn't feel really bad until around noon.

So we'll see how it goes, if it's especially bad I'll take an edible and sit around watching horror movies. I mean that was my plan for the day anyways so :shrug:

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo

Involuntary Sparkle posted:

I just had my second Pfizer dose about a month ago and it completely hosed me up in much the same way. I feel like maybe it's lovely of me to say, but I've been happy to read other peoples accounts of similar experiences. Everyone else in my life, my friends, family, flatmates, they had literally zero issues whatsoever so I like knowing that I'm not alone.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Booster update: Not bad! I feel vaguely blah but this is not even close to how I felt during my second dose. Just sort-of under the weather, like I'd call in sick for work if I felt like this but I can still function.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I'm still amazed that in the UK you can't just get a booster. I had my 2 jabs 6 months ago and more and more people I know are catching covid, I rarely get to WFH, so why can't I just have the option? Stoopid country.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 days!
Went to a haunted house with the kids yesterday that was put together by a youth club. Per provincial restrictions, they asked for our vaccine passport at the door.

The family behind us saw this, and ended up leaving the line looking disappointed.

Is your pathetic defiance worth ruining fun family activities you ignorant cucks?

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Welp looks like I got covid (am vaccinated) the exhaustion is brutal but by far the worse part is not being able to taste or smell anything at all. It's hella depressing.

I bet I'll bust as soon as I taste something again.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

I'm still amazed that in the UK you can't just get a booster. I had my 2 jabs 6 months ago and more and more people I know are catching covid, I rarely get to WFH, so why can't I just have the option? Stoopid country.

You can if you're in a vulnerable group - which if you had your second jab six months ago you presumably are? That would put you with a first jab in Feb/March, when I think they were only doing them for vulnerable groups (including OAPs) and healthcare workers.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Was more like start of May and end of June but got lucky as they pushed things forward a bit (not vulnerable and only a bit old!), which is really what they should be thinking about doing now.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Marmaduke! posted:

Was more like start of May and end of June but got lucky as they pushed things forward a bit (not vulnerable and only a bit old!), which is really what they should be thinking about doing now.

I think they'll make that decision at the very last moment (I know, shocker, right) but I really wouldn't be surprised if they said that the lack of death rate tracking with case rate strongly suggests there's no need for any more boosters. That there's almost no way for the school chums of Tory ministers to make money off the vaccination programme will, I'm sure, not enter into that equation at all, and there *definitely* won't be any approval of it for private clinics, no sir, that would be ridiculous.

I'd personally really like them to push boosters for all through November and December - even for people who are only 2-3 months past their second dose - to try and mitigate the damage caused by big blowout family Christmases that are definitely going to be happening this year.

e: If you *really* want a booster, sign up with the RVS - https://nhsvolunteerresponders.org.uk/i-want-to-volunteer/volunteer-roles - and do a shift at a vaccine centre, that both makes you frontline medical staff so eligible and also means you're going to be in the general vicinity of lots of lovely syringes and a quick chat with the clinical lead will probably find one making its way into your arm before the end of December which is when you'd otherwise be eligible.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Oct 31, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

goddamnedtwisto posted:

You can if you're in a vulnerable group - which if you had your second jab six months ago you presumably are? That would put you with a first jab in Feb/March, when I think they were only doing them for vulnerable groups (including OAPs) and healthcare workers.

Sort of, it’s only specific vulnerable people. Like not learning disabilities which was for the first set.

Also I don’t get one as a disability carer because I don’t work for the NHS, which is going to be problematic for private care home workers.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

learnincurve posted:

Sort of, it’s only specific vulnerable people. Like not learning disabilities which was for the first set.

Also I don’t get one as a disability carer because I don’t work for the NHS, which is going to be problematic for private care home workers.

Might be worthwhile talking to the doctor of the person you're caring for, as they *should* be able to just say they're vulnerable regardless of the specific conditions JCVI or whoever have set up, and as their carer that makes you automatically eligible too.

I think private care workers should be okay too - I'm eligible through my RVS volunteering and my niece through the charity she works for, in both cases pretty much based on the orgs involved saying "Yep, they're front line medical staff" (and in all 4 jabs we had between us not once was that eligibility questioned, it was just a tick-box on the original online form). Of course this makes it all the sillier that they're making more deserving people jump through hoops.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Going from what i heard from people that go to catholic school/highschool, priests apparent have a super duper manual that has literally every scenario. A belligerent person walking up to start poo poo probably has a blank mad libs template. (Al so my favorite story of stdh is probably a WW2 chruch where they finished a service even though a bomb landed and hadnt gone off)

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Pinecone Sample posted:

It was literally introduced as an anti-depressant before it was approved to treat OCD.

What you're saying does not make sense. Giving people medication that is sometimes used to treat OCD as a COVID trial would cause them to behave more like your stereotype of people who have untreated OCD do? Please explain.

Also, European hospitals started giving fluoxetine and escitalopram like last January. And SSRI and SNRI are often not that chemically different from one another, it's just that the brain is a sensitive instrument, so we have come up with many.
Yeah I was also bothered by this sentiment as someone who's been on like a dozen SSRIs in my time. It's an SSRI and most of those either treat depression or started out as an attempt to. People aren't being disingenuous by calling it an antidepressant when SSRIs are broadly known for that. I get it, people wanna dunk on chuds at every opportunity and sometimes use weird arguments for it (like someone saying "gee I hope they develop suicidal symptoms and die", which was kind of chilling as someone who has had to several times deal with how viscerally terrifying it is to get sudden suicidality increases from medications, but get your jokes in however you want I guess) but this isn't one of those cases.

Mental illness is also not some cleanly segmented thing. We know very little about mental illness and such things are not so clear-cut. Even diagnosis is subjective. I could go to three different doctors and get three different diagnoses, largely because the study of mental illness has changed dramatically over even the last decade and is based largely on self-reported symptoms. There is no drug test that says you have depression, or OCD, or whatever.

So you might have depression with mild anxiety, anxiety with mild depression, depression that causes anxiety, anxiety that causes depression, et cetera. Obsessive features are the same way. I have obsessive-compulsive tendencies (example: intrusive thoughts) with a family history of OCD (my sister has it bad, like "has to turn in place ten times before she feels 'right' again" bad) but nothing bad enough to qualify as an actual OCD diagnosis. My psychiatrist might prescribe me something known for treating OCD in addition to being an SSRI to help suppress those symptoms while possibly giving me some depression relief on top, even though I don't have OCD on paper but I do have depression and anxiety and ADHD. To say "literally nobody would be prescribed this for this purpose!" is very ignorant of how medications, especially off-label uses, work in practice. A good psychiatrist is going to target symptoms instead of going by on-paper diagnoses.

Do not get the idea that mental illnesses are clearly separated categories, more like a slew of brain chemicals that can go wrong, some more than others, and some pills suppress certain chemicals better than others.

P.S.: "oh OCD people have a lower chance of getting it" is kind of a fallacy because for as much as my sister washes her hands raw, she has no problem sharing the same space with my chud antivax aunt without a mask on. Compulsions are not exactly based in pure logic or anything (and not every OCD haver has cleanliness stuff).

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Nov 1, 2021

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I was going to chime in that SSRIs as a class are generally considered antidepressants, and while I'm as anti-chud as the next person the hoping for suicidal side effects was unpleasantly weird.

Tiny Myers posted:

P.S.: "oh OCD people have a lower chance of getting it" is kind of a fallacy because for as much as my sister washes her hands raw, she has no problem sharing the same space with my chud antivax aunt without a mask on. Compulsions are not exactly based in pure logic or anything (and not every OCD haver has cleanliness stuff).

And I second this. OCD is one of those things where the colloquial term and the clinical term are leagues apart, and clinical OCD is a significant mental illness that shouldn't be made light of. Clinical OCD can get into psychotic territory, and should be thought of as seriously as bipolar or schizophrenia, not "LOL Howie Mandel is a germphobe" crap.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

QuarkJets posted:

You said that you scheduled your shots to create a pretense for taking extra time off, just take the time off my friend you don't need an excuse

My job gave everyone 10 days of extra covid sick time that could only be used for having covid or for booster side effects so you're drat right I lined them up at the start of my work week and took 5 days off for each of the first 2 shots

Pretty sure they fired everyone who got covid and needed to miss more than 10 days lmao, but I quit that job after my 2nd shot anyway

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

I'm getting a booster shot the second I'm out of quarantine. I've only been missing my sense of smell for a couple of days but I already kind of hate it. I miss having a complete flavor palette, and I miss being able to smell my coffee.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Blue Labrador posted:

I'm getting a booster shot the second I'm out of quarantine. I've only been missing my sense of smell for a couple of days but I already kind of hate it. I miss having a complete flavor palette, and I miss being able to smell my coffee.

“I already kind of hate it” - no kidding man it’s one of your five senses, 20% of the way you perceive the world is now gone

anyways sorry for your loss

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Beartaco posted:

I just had my second Pfizer dose about a month ago and it completely hosed me up in much the same way. I feel like maybe it's lovely of me to say, but I've been happy to read other peoples accounts of similar experiences. Everyone else in my life, my friends, family, flatmates, they had literally zero issues whatsoever so I like knowing that I'm not alone.

Honestly I'm happy to hear that it helps! It felt a bit self-serving to post but it's helped me to hear others' experiences, so I was hoping I could share as well. I do hope it doesn't dissuade anyone from getting their shots, I just was happy to be able to plan for side effects.

And like dose 2, I woke up feeling absolutely fine today (2 days later) except for a short wave of extreme fatigue around 3pm.

ErrorInvalidUser
Aug 23, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
just sits there and chats about Healthcare

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Tiny Myers posted:

I get it, people wanna dunk on chuds at every opportunity and sometimes use weird arguments for it (like someone saying "gee I hope they develop suicidal symptoms and die", which was kind of chilling as someone who has had to several times deal with how viscerally terrifying it is to get sudden suicidality increases from medications, but get your jokes in however you want I guess) but this isn't one of those cases.

Ok, so in this thread it's OK to laugh about chuds dying in droves from Covid (which is happening RN) but not about chuds dying from side-effects of taking a med that might hypothetically be hyped up as the next horse paste (which was purely hypothetical at the time). Noted. Just a bit inconsistent maybe but I can live with inconsistent.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I appreciate seeing them hoisted with their own petard as much as the next person, but I can see how revelling in a person’s pharmacologically‐induced suicidal ideation, specifically, could make a person who experienced such things uncomfortable.

I don’t think that Ivermectin has that problem. Few people have any trauma relating to Ivermectin side effects, because it’s an uncommon and medically supervised treatment, and the side effects it does have are of a different species than those of SSRIs.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 1, 2021

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The horse paste side effects build up over time with fair warning from a body and you can recover quite quickly without any lasting damage.

So yes, chuds stuck on the toilet is funny.

Drugs that gently caress with your mind in a bad way are bad.

People should start a thing where they say weed is a great covid cure, maybe get the maga lot to chill out.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Ok, so in this thread it's OK to laugh about chuds dying in droves from Covid (which is happening RN) but not about chuds dying from side-effects of taking a med that might hypothetically be hyped up as the next horse paste (which was purely hypothetical at the time). Noted. Just a bit inconsistent maybe but I can live with inconsistent.

There are a lot more people who understand and have the experiences of the side effects of SSRIs than of horse paste and they’ve been prescribed the former for legitimate reasons than the latter for “I have rocks for brains” reasons. It’s easier to laugh at crazy people taking crazy meds for crazy reasons because there is no sympathy there, nothing to relate to.

Furthermore, there is still a stigma around mental illness and taking medication for that. Whole lotta dimensions.

I have little empathy for chuds taking SSRIs and having the side effects because christ almighty go to an actual loving professional. Though silver lining, I can without a doubt say that there are chuds who probably need SSRIs and are finally taking them, even if you need to wrap it in a bacon snack.

Like I can laugh at people taking that mercury that makes you blue because it’s top to bottom bonkers but chuds taking HCQ is kind of a bummer because it caused a shortage with those who legit take it for legit reasons.

Comedy is complicated, difficult and sometimes needs a fine toothed comb to get to the joke. :thejoke:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

teen witch posted:

Like I can laugh at people taking that mercury that makes you blue because it’s top to bottom bonkers

Colloidal silver makes you blue. Mercury makes you bonkers.

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

learnincurve posted:

The horse paste side effects build up over time with fair warning from a body and you can recover quite quickly without any lasting damage.

So yes, chuds stuck on the toilet is funny.

Drugs that gently caress with your mind in a bad way are bad.

People should start a thing where they say weed is a great covid cure, maybe get the maga lot to chill out.

Well TBF my reflection was not that we are OK with joking about horse paste users, it's that we are seemlingly OK with wishing death by Covid-19 on anti-vaxxers (see every post about Florida). But not death by suicide.

I mean, I get it, I see why someone who has been under treatment for depression and/or suffered suicidal thoughts in the past would find what I wrote tasteless. I just figured the thread didn't worry about taste. My bad, and I'll not insist that I was in the right in posting it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Post what you want dude don't let some rando steer you merely because they're speaking up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
I'm waiting to get labs done at my doctor's office and got my flu and tetanus booster. My nurse practitioner said with my history of drinking that she wants me to get my covid booster.

I didn't think that qualified but it's the VA and she said she'd be worried what covid would do to my not-so-top-shape system.

So I'm scheduled to get it on the 19th. Well after the 6 month mark.

She suggested it and works for the government so I'll take it.