Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

microwaves essentially just agitate water molecules so it's fine to use them to heat water

but if you're doing anything that requires more than the mug to sit there full of hot water (for example, if you want to make pour-over brew), you're hosed with that method. microwaving single mugs of things is pretty limiting and being able to boil large amounts of water quickly in a kettle is really very convenient.

It also helps when you need to make more than one thing at a time - such as making meals of oatmeal or grits for a group, instead of individually microwaving them one at a time while everyone waits and eats them one-by-one. you just pour the boiled water over the waiting bowls, stir, and serve. Or if lots of people are planning on sharing some tea, you use the kettle rather than everyone microwaving an individual mug and sitting around waiting for each mug to be ready.

I was with you until you right up until the instant grits.

Shame on you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
yeah i do pour-over for my coffee since I like how meditative it is yet for my grits I need it right now, don't ask me about that contradiction, I can't answer it. You can make my morning meals if you wanna do it differently.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
honestly instant grits are fine though i tend to just mix cheese into mine ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Apparently a lot of Americans never got the memo about the plain kettle you heat on your stovetop. You fill it with water, put it on a burner at a high heat, and you get boiled water in a few minutes.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I don’t think they care, memo or not

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's easier to take a poo poo in a coffee pot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I really miss the days before people learned the word closure.

Back in my day we just blamed a 50 foot tall marionette for our problems, set it on fire and got our closure that way.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

StrangersInTheNight posted:

yeah i do pour-over for my coffee since I like how meditative it is yet for my grits I need it right now, don't ask me about that contradiction, I can't answer it. You can make my morning meals if you wanna do it differently.

Is this an invitation to spend the night? Call me!

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
AITA for getting angry at my girlfriend over how to split the gas accurately?

quote:

So, my girlfriend and I were gonna go on a trip with her car and we were working out how to split the gas correctly. Her idea was to collect all of the receipts everytime we fill up on gas, then in the end we will simply divide it by two. I explained to her that this method is not very accurate, and suggested a more accurate and fair method. Told her that before we leave, she'll fill up the tank. Every time after that, when we go to the gas station to fill up again, we will split every fill. Then, when we return, we'll fill the tank and split that. She didn't understand this method at all, and claimed that if we do it my way, she'll be spending more money. I tried to explain to her in so many different ways and she just wasn't getting it. She offered to do it my way, and said she trusts me, but I was determined to make her understand. After explaining it so many different times, she told me she got it. I was happy. I told her we can do it her way.

We go on the trip, and the tank is *almost* full before we leave. We intend on splitting every single time. We arrive home, and the tank is about halfway full. I asked her what she wanted to do about the gas, and she offered me $20 in compensation for the remaining gas in the tank. To challenge her, I asked her how she knows it's $20 on the dot. She said she's just estimating. I ended up getting angry and told her that this is why her method isn't accurate and we should have used mine instead. She offered me $30 instead if that'll make me happy. Then she suggested that we go fill up the tank and split that, to which I explained that wouldn't work because we didn't leave with a completely full tank. In the heat of the moment, I called her ''loving dumb'' and she ended up crying. I told her she was playing the victim and needed to get more self-esteem.

I was angry because I had spent so much time trying to explain my method, she told me she understood it, only to demonstrate a complete lack of understanding. I tried calling to apologize and texted her a bunch of times telling her that I went too far and I didn't mean to call HER dumb, I meant to call her method dumb. She said she's angry at me because we went on a trip with her car, which adds to the wear & tear of the vehicle, kilometers put on there, etc. which is stuff she'll have to pay for, yet I'm causing drama over $20 worth of gas.
To me, the point wasn't how much the gas cost. It was about trying to prove to her why her method of splitting gas wasn't accurate, and I was just frustrated.

AITA here? I know calling her dumb went over the line, and I'm not excusing that. But I think my anger was justified.

quote:

I am an engineer actually, haha. How’d you know?

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
How do you count a liquid?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Pope Corky the IX posted:

How do you count a liquid?

By the number of moles it can drown or something.

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

to be a good host you stock expired instant (freeze dried) coffee and gesture vaguely at the microwave when someone asks

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Propaniac posted:

quote:

I told her she was playing the victim and needed to get more self-esteem.

I can think of a way

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Propaniac posted:

I don’t understand why just adding up all the gas and dividing by 2 isn’t equal. If you have a common denominator of “dividing by two”, it doesn’t matter.

20/2 + 20/2 + 20/2 + 20/2 + 20/2 = 10+10+10+10+10 = $50
By comparison, if you add up all the receipts first to get to $100, then divide by 2, you get…100/2 =$50.

Does he explain his method any better in the comments or did this brilliant engineer just fail middle school math?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Jesus, if y'all look at this dude's post history, it's just him being an emotionally abusive dude to his partner. And the weirdness around him deleting all of his posts when he doesn't get the consensus that he wants.

This guy seems like a real fun person.

MagusofStars posted:

I don’t understand why just adding up all the gas and dividing by 2 isn’t equal. If you have a common denominator of “dividing by two”, it doesn’t matter.

By comparison, if you add up all the receipts first to get to $100, then divide by 2, you get…100/2 =$50.

Does he explain his method any better in the comments or did this brilliant engineer just fail middle school math?

quote:

We did keep the receipts. The problem was she needed to reimburse me for the remaining gas left in the tank since it’s gas that I paid for that she’ll be using to drive to and from work etc. This is why her method doesn’t work—because there’s no reliable way of determining what the remaining gas is worth.

pffft SHE DRIVES HIM AROUND BECAUSE HE HAS NO CAR and he doesn't pitch in for gas "especially if he's paying for dinner"

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Oct 30, 2021

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

MagusofStars posted:

If the gas tank happens to have more gas in it at the end of the trip than the beginning, then by her method he would be paying for half that excess gas, which was not used for the trip. Or it could go the other way where he might end up underpaying. By his method he'd be paying exclusively for gas used during the trip.

The difference though is plus or minus the cost of half a tank of gas, which it's wild to spend so much sweat and tears on.

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Learning to say "close enough, this isn't worth spending any more time/effort/money on which would only upset my partner" is such a vital relationship skill that seems to be lacking in many of these people.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
You're real unlikely to superheat water in the microwave by accident, but I still think it's worth knowing that it's a thing that can happen, because if it does happen and you don't notice, you will burn off your face when you take it out or put anything in it.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
But she IS putting wear and tear on her car, wearing down her tires, wearing out belts, running through fluids, and having to do the driving herself. As well as all the sunk costs of having a car, like emissions, registration, insurance, and other stuff even before gas comes into it. So if you’re using her as a taxi service, you sling her some money and say thank you! What the gently caress, engineer dude?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
His "method" doesn't actually change the math involved any way; if they start and end with a full tank, any method of splitting the costs 50/50 will, uh, split the costs 50/50. He clearly does not realize this.

He is both selfish and an idiot.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Akumu posted:

If the gas tank happens to have more gas in it at the end of the trip than the beginning, then by her method he would be paying for half that excess gas, which was not used for the trip. Or it could go the other way where he might end up underpaying. By his method he'd be paying exclusively for gas used during the trip.

The difference though is plus or minus the cost of half a tank of gas, which it's wild to spend so much sweat and tears on.

Yup. And he completely botched explaining that by implying the method was flawed in general rather than just the endpoints. If he's said "rental car method: leave with a full tank, get back with a full tank" he'd still be a cheapskate but everyone would understand.

I'm a bit sympathetic to the guy because I get wound up over even small bits of money I owe people (or the other way round, but those are in my power to wipe off the "debt" so I discard them a lot more easily). I see it as an obligation to make up. But GEEZ there are ways to not be an rear end in a top hat about the whole thing! It's my responsibility to fit my neuroses to general society, save putting my foot down for things that are actually harmful.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 30, 2021

hydroceramics
Jan 8, 2014
I think the fairest way to ensure costs are split exactly fairly is she drives herself to the destination and he can walk. I bet he didn't even think of that.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

mllaneza posted:

Apparently a lot of Americans never got the memo about the plain kettle you heat on your stovetop. You fill it with water, put it on a burner at a high heat, and you get boiled water in a few minutes.

After using a stove kettle for years, an electric kettle was a nice luxury. It's much faster and more energy efficient

But just lol at microwaving your water

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

What's all this about a kettle? Just boil your water in a saucepan.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I prefer to boil water by holding a pot of water over Rush Limbaugh's grave while loudly talking about how great it is to be a still alive leftist and not a dead piece of poo poo rotting in a piss-soaked coffin, it's not as easy as a stove but is a whole lot more satisfying

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

Japanese hot water dispensers are the best, and we have it on a smart switch so I can turn it on from bed and then have 3 liters of hot water by the time I'm dressed.

I also have two electric kettles, for...reasons. One's a travel kettle at least.

I don't use stovetop ones because I almost caught them on fire multiple times when I was a teenager. I'm shocked I didn't get diagnosed with ADHD until I was 30.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Sugar and butter go into grits you philistines.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

sweet AND savory? what is this sinful madness

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

spacetoaster posted:

Sugar and butter go into grits you philistines.

:chloe:

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

I only know of grits from My Cousin Vinny.

No self respecting southerner uses instant grits. :colbert:

Also how do you microwave enough water for a pot of tea or something? Get an electric kettle, they're cheap and awesome.

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

small pastries and grits

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

everyone raves about shrimp and grits, but if you simplify the recipe to its essence it's just shrimps and grit

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Trapick posted:

Also how do you microwave enough water for a pot of tea or something? Get an electric kettle, they're cheap and awesome.

My microwave gets 32oz of water, plenty for two people, to hot tea temperature in 6 minutes. If you're serving tea to a larger group a kettle is probably a better option, the microwave would take 10 minutes+ for double the amount.

Even when making pasta or something it seems to go faster by boiling half the water on the stove, and the other half in the microwave then dumping it in.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Oct 31, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

limp_cheese posted:

The actions of a man that has moved on and definitely still doesn't love his ex.

She should ask him what would happen if it turns out his ex isn't home and doesn't get his "closure". Will the wedding day be ruined so they have to keep on getting married until the ex sees?

Just do the block around the house, hooting and hollering the whole time. She has to come home eventually!!

I feel like the reason he wants the OP in the car with him is so, after the ex is thoroughly owned and his heart swells with the warmth of closure, they can drive straight to the courthouse to annul the marriage, which will have served its purpose.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Less water more blood.

AITA For excluding my husband from my brother's funeral after he called me with the news and told me to guess?

quote:

I lost my brother in a motorcycle accident 3 weeks ago at the age of 21. This was sudden and devastating beyond measure. I live 3 towns away from my entire family and I didn't know about it right away.

My husband was calling when I walked into the room where my phone on vibrate and charging. I answered and he asked why I didn't answer my sister's calls. I asked why and wether she called him. He said yes then proceeded to tell me he recieved the news of a family members death from her. I was shaking at this point while I was waiting for him to tell me more but he said "guess who!". I angerily told him to stop it and tell me but he still thought it's fine to ask me to guess that's when I lost it on him because my nerves were done. I yelled at him then hung up and immediately called my sister and she told me it was our youngest brother.

I had an awful reaction because this is my baby brother that I adored so much and my husband knew how much I cared about him. I drove to my hometown 6 hours away by myself and my husband was mad after he found out I didn't wait for him to take him with me. I told him I didn't want him there after how he treated me and played my emotions like that. He said he was trying to prevent me from being traumatized and didn't want to dish the news all of sudden. He wanted to come but I said I'd have kicked out if he showed up which got him pissed yelling that I had no right to rob him if saying goodbye to his favorite brother in law. He said my anger was misplaced and I was taking it out on him for no reason other than being the "bearer of the bad news" and that nobody wants to be that person but he tried to be as nice as he could about it. I haven't talked to him eversince despite him calling me to come home so we can talk.

When my friend and previous professor died this past April, another student-friend texted me and said she had to talk to me. It took a while to get her to answer, and when I hear her crying, I asked her straight out, was it about her family, or the professor's family? We were all friends post class, she met her husband because of him, I nannied for him for about six years. She said the latter. I listed off the family members until I said his name, and when she started crying again, I knew.

No one ever texts you news like that unless they literally can't talk about it.

edit: I mean that my friend called me to tell me a mutual friend of ours had died. or rather was dying. But she and I barely spoke the past few years, and we weren't that close. Even then, she didn't make a game out of it.

The Reddit lady's husband was a total loving monster. I'm only surprised he wasn't recording for TikTok.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Oct 31, 2021

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Cowslips Warren posted:

Less water more blood.

AITA For excluding my husband from my brother's funeral after he called me with the news and told me to guess?

When my friend and previous professor died this past April, another student-friend texted me and said she had to talk to me. It took a while to get her to answer, and when I hear her crying, I asked her straight out, was it about her family, or the professor's family? We were all friends post class, she met her husband because of him, I nannied for him for about six years. She said the latter. I listed off the family members until I said his name, and when she started crying again, I knew.

No one ever texts you news like that unless they literally can't talk about it.

I feel like there's a different vibe from your thing and from literally saying "guess who".

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

he said "guess who!"

:stare:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Midnight Voyager posted:

I feel like there's a different vibe from your thing and from literally saying "guess who".

Does he have a moustache? What about a moustache and red hair? Red hair, but no moustache? That's my baby brother!!! ...oh gently caress

Scaevolus
Apr 16, 2007

Funeral mystery game, whodunnwithit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Midnight Voyager posted:

Moreso saying it twice after the person screams at you to answer them.