Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

maltesh posted:

Is it Summer? The Secret Woods only grow Fiddlehead Ferns in Summer.

If not, spelunk the Prehistoric floors of Skull Cavern, or explore the Ginger Island Jungle, or wait until it is Summer again in the Secret Woods.

It is Summer, I eventually got to Summer 6 and the Secret Woods spawned it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

can't hire linus/kent for subsistence wages, can't take advantage of my food monopoly to price gouge

Can start and sustain a profitable small farm without being pitilessly crushed by government agencies on behalf of Monsanto

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Poque posted:

I wonder if there will be a multiplayer option at all. Hard to guess since we don't even know that much about the game yet, but there didn't seem to be anything that looked like MP in the trailer.

The Haunted Chocolatier FAQ posted:

Is it Multiplayer?

No, it’s currently just single-player. I have no current plans to make it multiplayer.

https://www.hauntedchocolatier.net/faq/

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Ah thanks!

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Bit of a surprise, thought SDV's mp was pretty popular.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Grundulum posted:

It would not surprise me at all if there were significant overlap between people on the spectrum and people considered to be literal-minded nerds.

There absolutely is. Double empathy problem, people!

Understand that, if I seem too eager to defend Demetrius from accusations of being a jerk in ways that the character doesn't deserve, it is because I am autistic and 1) I see a lot of people showing what I see as obvious autistic behaviors get categorically dismissed as rude, bizarre, or obnoxious -- often by those who seem to have very little knowledge about autism -- and 2) like a lot of autistic people, I get defensive about my autistic headcanons because good rep is so goddamn rare! I just want to protect all the autists, even the fictional ones!*

Anyway, this game lets you engage as much or as little as you want with the various mechanics, in-game cause and effect are highly predictable and unambiguous, it doesn't require a ton of super-fiddly coordination, and the characters are cute, colorful, and easy to befriend. It's such a good autistic special interest.

*Except Sheldon Cooper. TBBT writers are the ones who can eat poo poo.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Demetrius is a true pal, he sends actual useful poo poo in the mail (off-season Nautilus and Rainbow Shells for quest completion!) and builds out the fruit or mushroom cave.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

The real question is this: Lily, Maddie, or Jett?

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rynoto posted:

Bit of a surprise, thought SDV's mp was pretty popular.

Sure, but the amount of grey hairs that CA probably got over it sounds like a nonzero number. Trying to get multiplayer working on all the consoles and such was apparently a nightmare.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rotinaj posted:

Sure, but the amount of grey hairs that CA probably got over it sounds like a nonzero number. Trying to get multiplayer working on all the consoles and such was apparently a nightmare.

every time i get a code bug ticket relating to network sockets at work i die a little inside, so i sympathize

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

rotinaj posted:

multiplayer is probably especially hard when you're retrofitting it into an existing, bespoke game while also adding new platforms and content to meet bonkers demand

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

rotinaj posted:

From what CA said in an interview for the book Blood Sweat and Pixels, trying to add MP was where he started having severe burnout and depression with SDV, to the point that he asked Chucklefish for staff to help with it which up to that point he hadn't done at all. I imagine that leaves one fairly gunshy about promising it in the future.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Omnicarus posted:

Chucklefish

I assume dealing with them in general have him a solid portion of that stress and depression. gently caress Chucklefish and their rapist lead. God, Starbkund was already an absolute clusterfuck of a game, but then learning all the poo poo that happened outside of just the mismanagement… gently caress.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON
I really need to start playing this game sober - it's not that I necessarily make mistakes, but rather more than I play all night and then come back the next night and have zero recollection of what I've done and waste half an in-game day figuring it out.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

mactheknife posted:

I really need to start playing this game sober - it's not that I necessarily make mistakes, but rather more than I play all night and then come back the next night and have zero recollection of what I've done and waste half an in-game day figuring it out.

Only play when inebriated and just float from thing to thing

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I kinda like this person's theory vids. This is one of the less out-there ones, which argues that one of the worst townies is ... George.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZR70hxo1Cg

I don't agree with all the points -- Penny is in the wrong for "helping" George with his mail without asking if he needed help -- but it's a surprisingly strong argument. I know people love grumpy grandpa and I kinda do too, but it is messed up how little he appreciates everything his wife does for him, and how homophobic he is if you marry Alex without maxing out George's Hearts. The characters this thread loves to hate -- Pierre, Clint, Demetrius, Shane, Lewis -- all have serious flaws, but they never tell you to your face that your marriage is "unnatural" if you don't go out of your way to become their best chums. I think the main reason people like George is because he reminds them of their own grandfathers. That's why they're willing to dismiss his mean traits: "Ha! Classic grandpa!"

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 30, 2021

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No George is a dick. He just gets more of a pass than the other shitheads in the game because he's crippled, it's more understandable than Pierre or Lewis just being narcissistic assholes.

I think I said it a long time ago but my favorite zany-but-not-entirely-implausible Stardew theory is that Jodi is trying to kill Kent with clumsily made bombs, which Kent finds, fixes up and mails to The Farmer.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 30, 2021

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

George has leeks an incredibly common spring item you find on the ground as a loved gift. Pierre only has fried calimari, a cooked dish you must learn the recipe for that requires a rare fish only found at night in winter. This is the biggest difference between peoples opinions of the two

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

No it really isn't. Pierre is horrible in every way and has no excuse for it at all, he's just a greedy douchebag.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

What else are you gonna do with your hundred extra rabbit's feet?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

George has leeks an incredibly common spring item you find on the ground as a loved gift. Pierre only has fried calimari, a cooked dish you must learn the recipe for that requires a rare fish only found at night in winter. This is the biggest difference between peoples opinions of the two

If that's true then a lot more people ought to like Shane. Just grow a couple Hot Pepper plants in Summer Y1 and you can be bros for life

Eric the Mauve posted:

No it really isn't. Pierre is horrible in every way and has no excuse for it at all, he's just a greedy douchebag.

What excuse does George have for being a homophobe, or for rarely acknowledging that his doting wife even exists?

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Alxprit posted:

What else are you gonna do with your hundred extra rabbit's feet?

There's a reason why there are so many lightning rods around the shed where's I'm keeping them.

They laughed at me at the Community Center, but I'll show them. I'll show them all!

maltesh fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Oct 30, 2021

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Pththya-lyi posted:

I don't agree with all the points -- Penny is in the wrong for "helping" George with his mail without asking if he needed help

Eh....I'm not so sure. I've been on both sides: a person in a wheelchair and a person who wanted to be a good friend/neighbor to someone. If it had been me I would have wanted to help George instead of watching him struggle in futility, and his reaction was way over the top, imo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

She should have asked him if he would like some help, not just say "oh let me help you" and physically shove him aside.

Like Penny just didn't know better but she definitely did the Wrong Thing there.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Most disabled people have horror stories about well-meaning people trying to help them, the problems the well-meaning people caused, and how invalidated the disabled people felt. Eric the Mauve is right about this: if you see a disabled person struggling, always ask them if they need help before jumping in. Never touch them, their equipment, or their service animals without permission unless it's an emergency.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
Bigot grandpa gets to watch as everyone around him gets a constant stream of gifts and he gets nothing and is ignored. :colbert:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

George mostly escapes the criticism cause he's so out of the way. You don't really need to interact with him at all if you don't want to. Pierre is your main contact for buying seeds, Clint is your only source of tool upgrades, and while you never need to speak to Demetrius you do need to visit his house regularly for farm buildings or if you're trying to date either Maru or Sebastian.

Meanwhile there are no services at George's house, and while you'll probably be by his place if you're dating Alex, Alex isn't a popular boyfriend to begin with. Most people don't see enough of him to pick up more than "cranky old man".

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
Yea I hadn't realized George is such a dick because I almost immediately get him up to 10 hearts, it's so easy to do.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
George can also be befriended into renouncing his homophobia, whereas nothing you do will make Pierre less of a sleazebag, Clint let go of his fixations, or Demetrius be a good step-father.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

George can also be befriended into renouncing his homophobia, whereas nothing you do will make Pierre less of a sleazebag, Clint let go of his fixations, or Demetrius be a good step-father.

George: You people are what is wrong with Ferngill these days! What you do is unnatural?

Farmer:*Hands over leek* And nooowwwww?

George:A leek! Just like ma used to make. Well I guess I don't understand it but as long as you make Alex happy I'm okay with it.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
George got his shins blown off in World War II.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Bismack Billabongo posted:

George got his shins blown off in World War II.

He killed fitty men

Organic Lube User
Apr 15, 2005

Where was George on 1/6?

AJA
Mar 28, 2015

Organic Lube User posted:

Where was George on 1/6?

In his house watching FOX News like every other day.

Pierre was the one with his feet up on Pelosi's desk. (1/6 was a Wednesday, hmm what a coincidence!)

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

The ferngill republic is a dictatorship. This is why there are no elections and Lewis brown noses the governor every luau, he needs his appointment to continue as mayor and has been hoping unsuccessfully for a promotion.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Lewis says ingame that there are elections but he is never opposed, but since there, y'know, aren't ever actually any elections, you begin to think he might not be entirely forthright about what's really going on

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Most dictatorships nowadays still have elections for show. The gotoro empire is actually a constitutional monarchy, they have rights and a well-developed welfare state that ferngillers could only dream of.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

"Gotoro are actually the good guys in the war" is another of my favorite fan theories

dolphinbomb
Apr 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
The only difference between Pierre and Morris is that Pierre opened a shop in the middle of the country while Morris decided to try and climb the corporate ladder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Pierre would absolutely be Morris if he had the resources.

Hell, actually he'd be Morris' boss.