Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Could be a cat that is not stray and not feral but just allowed outdoors. It looks healthy and well fed so it's probably not fending for itself on the streets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Yeah, outside cats are the norm over here and it's hard to tell wether they're lost or just on a walk. I actually brought in a cat off the street the other week because he was walking along our very busy street and looked kind of ratty, I found an old nextdoor post that said he was missing but after contacting the owner it turns out he had long since returned and was just on a stroll. v:shobon:v

There's sooo many missing cat posts on nextdoor though, one of the many reasons I don't let my cats out unsupervised. Glad I brought this guy in to check it out.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's why my kitties only go outside on a leash. They enjoy the adventure and I get to enjoy them being safe.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
I harness-trained our first cat because this seemed fun, but honestly we live on such a busy street now that I'd rather them not know there's a front door that opens. We have a backyard that they can have supervised outside time in and we have a closed off hallway that we use as an airlock when leaving and entering through the front door.

Most outside cats are pretty clever and I do enjoy watching the neighbours do their thing in our block of backyards but yikes, whenever I see a missing cat post being concluded with "sadly our Poekie has been found run over by a car/train" I can't help but think that that couldn't be me.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

My cat is longhair and very trusting, so I figure if she gets out she'll either be stolen or run over. I've tried to walk her on a leash but she gets so scared. So she just gets to sit on the balcony and look down, which she loves.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.
Katya was born on the mean streets of Romania so I’m sure she‘d manage, but she’s also really pretty and I’d be super scared of someone stealing her. Kimchi is a little dummy and scared of everything that’s new, so she would last 5 minutes tops, lol.

here’s a blurry pic of them being sweet for a change as penance for all the posts without pics.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Look up the average age of outdoor vs indoor cats and then decide whether your cat being able to pointlessly climb up some trees is worth the 5 years off their lives

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

This is Tiger. He has always been an outdoor cat, but we were gonna bring him inside. Problem became that not only would be climb the laundry room shelves and knock everything over, he would also chase our other, much more timid, cat no matter how much she hissed at him. The final straw came when he decided the litterbox wasn't good enough and pissed in a floor vent.

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the behavioral stuff is because he wasn't neutered before he came to us. But like all orange cats, he shares one brain cell with the rest of them.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
I let me cats out on the balcony. And she can climb on this thing, instead of trees.

https://i.imgur.com/oucGFoK.mp4

bird are chilling too close....
https://i.imgur.com/vb5slQN.mp4

She caught a butterfly. but,
https://i.imgur.com/GtqcxUM.mp4

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

InvisibleMonkey posted:

Yeah, outside cats are the norm over here and it's hard to tell wether they're lost or just on a walk. I actually brought in a cat off the street the other week because he was walking along our very busy street and looked kind of ratty, I found an old nextdoor post that said he was missing but after contacting the owner it turns out he had long since returned and was just on a stroll. v:shobon:v

There's sooo many missing cat posts on nextdoor though, one of the many reasons I don't let my cats out unsupervised. Glad I brought this guy in to check it out.

I have a similar story about my cat.
You see how she's relaxing on top here?

Turns out she jumps from there to my upstairs neighbors window. I saw this happen as I was hanging out in the balcony. I panicked. picked up keys and went to the neighbor,
She opens the door.

Me: Hey, i'm sorry, but my cat just jumped into your window.

Neighbor: Yeah, so?

Me: Can I have her back?

Neighbor: Oh, she already went back.

Me: she went back?

Neighbor. Yeah, she comes here all the time. Walks around for a bit and then jumps back through the window.

Me: Oh, i'm sorry. ill put something up there to make sure she can't do this anymore

Neigbor: Please don't, we love having her here.

So I go back down to my door, grab my keys. I had picked up my work keys. I locked myself out of my home.
I have no phone, no money on me. Start to think i have to go back to my place the way my cat did.
I went to my mothers place to grab my spare keys.

This is how my cat has expanded her territory

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I have never had an outdoor cat and can't imagine one surviving where I grew up, between rabies and bigger carnivores. Plus our cats got out once when I was a child and brought home a case of fleas so bad we had to move out of our house for a month.

If Aleta went outside, she would be dead in three seconds flat. She would roll over in front of a car to make it play with her and get smooshed. Luna would probably be fine, though.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

We had outdoor cats as a kid and while they did die relatively young nothing else bad happened in terms of accidents, fleas etc. I think if you're in Europe both letting them out and not letting them out is a defensible choice.

If you're in America or Australia it might be best to keep them inside out of respect for native fauna (and to avoid the government-sponsored car eliminators of Australia).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My roommate lets her cats come and go on the balcony. They're 15 years old and have arthritis, so they just chill on the chairs and soak up the sun. She calls it "the beach." Right now it's leaf season, so Ricky is having a blast.

My cat, also 15 years old, but without arthritis, only goes out to the balcony when I'm out there, because she's a big daddy's girl, and just wants to be around me.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Cats in trees is pretty adorable though. I just do it with a leash and have to put in a lot of work to make sure she doesn't get tangled.

But that's a happy cat so I guess it's worth it?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Look up the average age of outdoor vs indoor cats and then decide whether your cat being able to pointlessly climb up some trees is worth the 5 years off their lives

I think you'll find that climbing trees is actually very cool & good

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
How cold can it get where the cat can still be comfortable? Usually when its winter time I try to go as long as I can just with insulation and wearing warmer clothes but I assume the cat won't appreciate my efforts at lowering the power bill.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Raenir Salazar posted:

How cold can it get where the cat can still be comfortable? Usually when its winter time I try to go as long as I can just with insulation and wearing warmer clothes but I assume the cat won't appreciate my efforts at lowering the power bill.

Any temperature you can stand the cat can handle better. Don't worry about it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

They've got an inch of fur over their entire body and we don't, and fur is a pretty great insulator. They only lose heat through their ears and toe beans.

It'll have to be dangerously cold for you to be dangerous for them.

But they still have preferences, cats generally enjoy being warm. You might see them curled into tiny balls or burrowing under blankets more often.

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

Sefal posted:

Neigbor: Please don't, we love having her here.

Heheh, I used to be this neighbour. We lived in a shared house and the neighbour's cat Loefie would wait until we opened the door and briskly walk up two flights of stars to chill with us. I told his owners about it and assured them I wasn't feeding him, just providing water if he'd been out all day, and they were like "well, as long as it doesn't bother you, enjoy!"

I still think of Loefie as our first part-time cat. :3:

Also, in unrelated news: Katya seems to be going viral lol:

https://twitter.com/invisiblemonkey/status/1453458679357976591?s=20

InvisibleMonkey
Jun 4, 2004

Hey, girl.

xzzy posted:

But they still have preferences, cats generally enjoy being warm. You might see them curled into tiny balls or burrowing under blankets more often.

this what ours do, we prefer a cozy throw over cranking up the heat so they just come huddle under one on the couch. it's one the best parts of cozy season imho, it doesn't get that cold here but otherwise I would consider a heated bed or something.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Just wanted to post an update: I just took my cat for his ultrasound and it revealed he has cancer in the lining of his gallbladder and lesions in his lungs. He’s barely eating, so I’m on my way back to his usual vet to see if he needs to be hospitalized.

Thank you so much for encouraging me to take him to the vet ASAP…you may have saved his life.

I lost my mother to cancer 10 years ago next month. Cancer is the loving worst, goddamnit.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
Cancer's taken a few family members from me too, it's a nightmare. :smithicide: I hope cat can get treated and keep a quality of life that's good or at least that they won't suffer much.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Well, my vet had bad news for my boy and me after he got a chest x-ray this afternoon — his cancer has metastasized throughout his lungs. It’s inoperable and the vet thinks, given he already has heart and kidney problems, chemotherapy would make him sicker (although she wants me to schedule a consult with an oncologist tomorrow for a second opinion). She recommended palliative care with steroids to keep him comfortable, and she said he’s got a few weeks to a few months left to live.

Ngl, I’m pretty devastated. He’s the love of my life. I have another cat whom I love, too, but my bond with my boy Raphael is special. He’s followed me around like a little shadow since the day I got him 8 years ago, and he sleeps every night next to my head, on his own pillow (but sometimes I wake up to find his head resting on my pillow, inches from my face :ssh:).

On a happier note, he got some anti-nausea meds today, and when he got home, he went straight to this food dish and ate almost an entire 3 oz can of wet food. He’s since eaten a bunch of treats and even more wet food for dinner. I got an appetite stimulant for him, and after a day or two of eating regularly, I’m to give him prednisone daily.

Am I correct in thinking the prednisone will help his nausea?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Well, my vet had bad news for my boy and me after he got a chest x-ray this afternoon — his cancer has metastasized throughout his lungs.

I'm so very, very sorry. This is the worst. I have no advice to offer, just sympathy.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Cat locking out reminds me of a story.
We have a fenced in catio area we were out there doing something with our them and sleek decided he'd had enough of us and managed to lock the deadbolt. Front door was locked too of course neither of us had keys on us. I ended up having to crawl in a window and unlock it.
I miss that little rear end in a top hat

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I'm sorry, Rabbit Hill. Big hugs to you and the little one.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I just locked out my cat on our apartment balcony for like 6 hours by mistake, so there’s some payback for those of you that have gotten locked out by them.

(Ngl, feel really guilty about it, she was terrified but otherwise ok).

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
I felt bad when I accidentally locked my poo poo head in the closet for 4 hours. I only figured out she was in there after seeing her paws reaching from under the door.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

My idiot and my roommates at the time locked themselves in the bathroom by roughousing near the door and closing it behind them. I feel no guilt, it was funny as gently caress searching for them

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

About five hours into a two week roadtrip I get a panic call from my wife, she can't find our cat Penny (at the time she was about five months old so we were still in "kittens can't keep themselves alive" mode). She said she'd looked all over the house and was afraid she had bolted outside when I was loading the car.

She was about to convince me to turn around and come help when I asked her to go through every room in the house again, found that fuzzy little rear end in a top hat in the upstairs shower. It's a glass shower with a door on it. Kitty had jumped on the toilet, climbed to a windowsill, then scaled over the top of the glass and I presume fell into the shower where'd she'd been stuck for half the day.

(since then we've kept a wedge in the door so it can't latch closed and if it happens again the cat can push her way out, they're 4 years old now so it's probably zero chance of it but whatever)

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
One day after I got back home from work, I noticed one of my cats was missing. I kept searching, calling her name for an hour. She can't have gotten outside. everything was closed. She has to be somewhere in the house. I search all the hiding spots. Start rumbling her favorite treats. After about an hour of searching. I hear a meow. But I can't place it exactly. I keep encouraging her to keep meowing. But I just can't find her. I have a bookcase i bolted to the wall, I figure ill use my phone to take a picture to see if she's there.

Poor thing had no way to get out either. I closed off the gap at the top after that,

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Ugh my indoor only cats have fleas and I have no clue where they could have come from. I have never had to treat for fleas and will obviously wash all bedding and vaccum but I' not sure what the best way to get rid of them from the cats.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
I don’t know how easy it is to get in the US but I swear by Comfortis, that poo poo is magic.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Raenir Salazar posted:

I do the same thing and compromise by having a few low-level heating pads scattered around, so if they actually get chilly they can go lay on one of them for a bit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Ugh my indoor only cats have fleas and I have no clue where they could have come from. I have never had to treat for fleas and will obviously wash all bedding and vaccum but I' not sure what the best way to get rid of them from the cats.

It's just drops on the scruff of the neck, I didn't even need to bring my cat to the vet, I just picked it up myself.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Final update on my cat: I had to put him to sleep this morning, not even 48 hours after his cancer diagnosis.

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to take him to the vet earlier than his scheduled appointment. That allowed him to die peacefully and with dignity, before his pain became unendurable.

My pain, on the other hand… but that’s for another thread, on another forum.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think fleas can easily transport on people's clothes and stuff if you or housemates have been interacting with other people's pets. It's annoying for sure, but I wouldn't lose sleep trying to figure out how it happened.

e: Sorry for bad cat news. :smith: Hopefully the fact that you could avoid pain for the lil one will give some solace as time goes on.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I try to get over losing a kitty by thinking how I gave them the best life possible, and now they've moved on to make room for a new kitty for me to give the best life possible.

(it's only partially successful)

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Rabbit Hill posted:

Final update on my cat: I had to put him to sleep this morning, not even 48 hours after his cancer diagnosis.

Thank you to everyone who encouraged me to take him to the vet earlier than his scheduled appointment. That allowed him to die peacefully and with dignity, before his pain became unendurable.

I'm very sorry. We lost a cat several years ago in similar circumstances; cancer in cats can progress very quickly and be detected very late, just because cats are so good at hiding pain. You did the best you could for him, and take the time you need to grieve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rabbit Hill posted:

A lifetime of joy and happiness and a death at peace with his best friend by his side is certainly one of the less awful ways to go out, yeah. :unsmith: Good luck with the grieving process, it's hard.