Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Stereotype posted:

everything is always getting worse. it's going to get so bad guys. lol. lmao

yeah but the weed and video games these days are loving dope as hell. need to go back to hawaii soon to eat some shaved ice, do some drugs and booze on the beach, and get stung by man o wars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slider
Jun 6, 2004

Raine posted:

tornados are cool. id let one kill me

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

https://twitter.com/ErinSikorsky/status/1454418595618951173

\
no i don't understand how the senate works I've been busy building my own reservoir to fight fires

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 13:25 on Oct 30, 2021

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

SKULL.GIF posted:

*proudly Mungerianishly* there will be sufficient dormspace for all the humanflesh. only ecofascists would suggest otherwise

"yeah high density housing would solve a bunch of problems as well as making stuff like mass transit systems more straightforward, but only for other people because I need a sprawling suburban home just for me and my cats. You wouldn't understand."

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
idk if its been seen but

https://www.reuters.com/business/cop/al-gore-launches-climate-change-asset-manager-2021-10-27/

quote:

Oct 27 (Reuters) - Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore and financier David Blood have set up a new asset manager to address global net-zero carbon emissions as countries come under increasing pressure to slow climate change and achieve carbon neutrality.

Just Climate, which will be launched on Wednesday, plans to invest in solutions that will help to limit global temperature rises to 1.5 degrees Celsius.

Just Climate has been founded to do the hard yards of addressing the most difficult to decarbonise segments of the global economy that investors have ignored until now, Blood said.

ELTON JOHN
Feb 17, 2014
Blood and Gore Asset Management

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

yeah i heard about that literally blood and gore lmfao

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

huge missed opportunity with the name, this is what happens when you don't consult anyone under 50 about your marketing

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

naming it Just Climate because that's the only thing we'll have left when they're done

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

tell your mom buy me blood and gore assets, or go to helllllll

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i have formed a new think tank drawing from the most brilliant people on planet earth, we even have some kid in a wheelchair with a brain 4x larger than his neck can support running simulations in our base and have teamed up with Blood N' Gore.

The answer is to stop using fossil fuels

well, nevertheless....

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Glad to see they're on top of the latest scientific research and the probability of staying below 1.5. I used to think conventional religions were pretty destructive but they've got nothing on the Church of the Holy Number.

ELTON JOHN posted:

Oh God, I missed that! These guys must be trolling.

Don't dox me, bro.

To be clear, yes I was out logging last night, rigging a tree to bring it down, but it's a drought killed tree that needs to come down before next fire season. Why I was spending my Friday evening doing that is probably just another story of pandemic mental illness. :shrug:

Pryor on Fire posted:

\
no i don't understand how the senate works I've been busy building my own reservoir to fight fires

Look at all that big, beautiful plastic!

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
they are probably fixated on 1.5C even though that is a long dead dream because they can just adjust the goalposts to always have hope. 2C. 2.25C. 2.5C. 2.75C. 2.8C. 2.9C. 2.95C. 2.99C.

Thunberg and Lightning Co will be trying to limit warming to 4C.

Rectal Death Adept has issued a correction as of 17:44 on Oct 30, 2021

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

neat piece from the ap today, it just lays out all the numbers matter of factly. places like Alaska are already at +1.4C

https://twitter.com/AP/status/1454494681631535108

Now, the 91-year-old activist said, that hope has been smothered: “The ice is melting. ... Everything is bad. ... Thirty years of degradation.” :unsmith:

Pryor on Fire has issued a correction as of 18:24 on Oct 30, 2021

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Ze zymbolism, zee lozzles do nutzing!

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1454243450786926597

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST
more like the asleepening am I right folks

tima
Mar 1, 2001

No longer a newbie

ELTON JOHN posted:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

Hexigrammus posted:

Look at all that big, beautiful plastic!

I have a really hard time finding fault with someone attemping to construct a pond in a part of the world that burns annually especially when the state and federal domains it falls under seem to be perfectly totally o.k. with it burning annually. dude's not clear cutting his trees or trying to make the claim that cattle grazing is a good solution or doing nothing so his plan is already heads and shoulders above the primary competing ones

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Pryor on Fire posted:

neat piece from the ap today, it just lays out all the numbers matter of factly. places like Alaska are already at +1.4C

Now, the 91-year-old activist said, that hope has been smothered: “The ice is melting. ... Everything is bad. ... Thirty years of degradation.” :unsmith:

I have it on good authority that if we aggressively go to zero carbon emissions by the year 2050 the world will retroactively stop warming back until about the year 2000.

We can shave 1 degree off of today if we are at a 50% reduction by 2030 but why not construct 5,000,000,000 more teslas to get us over the finish line?

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

The Voice of Labor posted:

I have a really hard time finding fault with someone attemping to construct a pond in a part of the world that burns annually especially when the state and federal domains it falls under seem to be perfectly totally o.k. with it burning annually. dude's not clear cutting his trees or trying to make the claim that cattle grazing is a good solution or doing nothing so his plan is already heads and shoulders above the primary competing ones

I've seen those around here (semi-arid desert) for livestock. Just looks like black plastic, edges all frayed, rainwater from whenever it rains. It's optimistic, and yes it's getting in the food chain.

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug
gonna be fun to watch normal people slowly come to realize how hosed up things actually are

which isn't actually that bad! ... yet

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I'm seeing it now and it's actually not fun at all. :(

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I'm seeing it now and it's actually not fun at all. :(

There's a bump, and there's just continue on as normal. This is fine. It's nicer knowing.

I mean, it's not. I wish I was in the safe ignorance bubble but

U-Turn posted:

Jenny:
You like Patsy Cline? I just love her. I wonder how come she don't put out no more new records.
Bobby:
Because she's dead.
Jenny:
Oh... that's sad. Don't that make you sad?
Bobby:
I've had time to get over it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I have a friend having regular breakdowns about it now. I've been out of the weeds a long while now and I think it's for the best I just wish I knew how to make it easier on him. He lives far away and it's difficult to console or counsel people by text or phone.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Pryor on Fire posted:

quote:

A pessimistic Lyons, the Native American activist, said, “I would say this meeting in Glasgow is the last shot.”

last shot at what ???? this was an article about hundreds of thousands of people being dead. what’s gonna change that? loving get hype everyone for some dumb bullshit that won’t go into effect for a decade and will be ignored or broken on political whims and was only ever going to accomplish giving someone a job making graphs about how little effect it’s had over the course of twenty years

is this a tourist event? maybe next time they can build a dome that air conditions a desert for it.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

I got another air conditioner installed to make it through 2022
Hope the power doesn’t go out

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I've seen those around here (semi-arid desert) for livestock. Just looks like black plastic, edges all frayed, rainwater from whenever it rains. It's optimistic, and yes it's getting in the food chain.

it's possible to build a pond in places that aren't deserts. I will not contend that it's a less than ideal solution but, sans more information about the site and pond engineering, I would naively consider it to be likely that the dude will have a loving massive pond in a decade and that having a massive pond is worth the environmental cost of laying plastic in terms of environmental gains of having a massive pond

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Homocow posted:

gonna be fun to watch normal people slowly come to realize how hosed up things actually are

which isn't actually that bad! ... yet

You see how a truly staggering number of people seemingly completely lost their loving minds overnight in 2020, and subsequently started drinking bleach and injecting horse paste? And now spend all their time online aggressively denying the pandemic exists to anyone who will listen?

Yeah, that. Except climate related.

I don't look forward to a drat thing on that front, why the gently caress do you think I've been aggressively trying to buy a house or land decently far away from other humans for years and years (and constantly being outrun by asset price inflation the whole time, despite my income, LOL) .

It's not because I have a delusion of "prepping for the apocalypse" and subsisting on rice - it's because when North American society at large crack pings on this topic it's going to be loving unreal and truly scary and I don't want to be anywhere near the cities when it happens.

And I don't think we have long for that, with how fast things are coming apart socioeconomically now and how loud the dire messaging is getting.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

kecske posted:

"yeah high density housing would solve a bunch of problems as well as making stuff like mass transit systems more straightforward, but only for other people because I need a sprawling suburban home just for me and my cats. You wouldn't understand."

Suburban life in general and the American suburb/sprawl/development cycle in general seems awful to live in and for multiple other reasons, but I think it's a lot more complex than this. I moved out of the city, (way the gently caress out), because cities stress the hell out of me, aggravate my tinnitus, are generally expensive, and being surrounded by quiet natural sounds and far fewer people makes me feel calm. There's a reasonable amount of research into all the reasons this might be more than a personality quirk of mine, from studies about stress responses to noise to the higher density of pollution and shitheads that you generally have to deal with in actual cities.

I realize that my lifestyle is privileged well, well beyond what's sustainable for even the current population of the planet, and I have certainly spent a fair amount of time thinking about a bunch of the implications of that.

All I am saying is "I don't want to live in high density housing if I can possibly loving avoid it" is a statement I think can be backed up by pretty reasonable takes about what leads to personal happiness for some people. Even if our practices and population have accelerated to the point where the most environmentally responsible thing I could do would be to pack my family up and move into a same-priced 1100 square foot condo in Burlington, I don't want to and I am not going to, and it has everything to do with me and my wife and jack poo poo to do with my cats (who, for the record, lived totally happily with us in a 1100 square foot condo).

As far as personal responsibility goes, I feel about as guilty about this as I do about not turning lights off at night if I forget. As long as Chevron is writing our energy policy, I don't feel much agency and beyond obvious poo poo like "don't have a bigger vehicle than is necessary", I am pragmatically just going to try to be as comfortable as I can with my family for as long as I can.

In terms of equity my math is that if every existing human family was somehow equally distributed across every acre of habitable land (obviously a dumb and impossible thing to do), then each family would be living on about 7 acres. So, anything more than that, which includes basically all of rural VT including a number of shotgun shacks I know of, is inequitable at least from the perspective of pure space allocation.

edit: also when I lived right out DC some of the people I knew who did live in walkable, high density areas still did really dumb poo poo like own two BWMs and drive 300 miles a week because they felt like they needed to get out of the city on the weekend and the only way to do it is to.... drive through 2 hours of sprawl. It only works if it's well designed and also in line with the expectations and behavior of the community.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 22:05 on Oct 30, 2021

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
gently caress you

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Cabbages and Kings posted:

As far as personal responsibility goes, I feel about as guilty about this as I do about not turning lights off at night if I forget. As long as Chevron is writing our energy policy, I don't feel much agency and beyond obvious poo poo like "don't have a bigger vehicle than is necessary", I am pragmatically just going to try to be as comfortable as I can with my family for as long as I can.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Boring. Been doing that for 40 years apparently.

Wake me up when his head's underwater. Then things will be that bad.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Suburban life in general and the American suburb/sprawl/development cycle in general seems awful to live in and for multiple other reasons, but I think it's a lot more complex than this. I moved out of the city, (way the gently caress out), because cities stress the hell out of me, aggravate my tinnitus, are generally expensive, and being surrounded by quiet natural sounds and far fewer people makes me feel calm. There's a reasonable amount of research into all the reasons this might be more than a personality quirk of mine, from studies about stress responses to noise to the higher density of pollution and shitheads that you generally have to deal with in actual cities.

I realize that my lifestyle is privileged well, well beyond what's sustainable for even the current population of the planet, and I have certainly spent a fair amount of time thinking about a bunch of the implications of that.

All I am saying is "I don't want to live in high density housing if I can possibly loving avoid it" is a statement I think can be backed up by pretty reasonable takes about what leads to personal happiness for some people. Even if our practices and population have accelerated to the point where the most environmentally responsible thing I could do would be to pack my family up and move into a same-priced 1100 square foot condo in Burlington, I don't want to and I am not going to, and it has everything to do with me and my wife and jack poo poo to do with my cats (who, for the record, lived totally happily with us in a 1100 square foot condo).

In terms of equity my math is that if every existing human family was somehow equally distributed across every acre of habitable land (obviously a dumb and impossible thing to do), then each family would be living on about 7 acres. So, anything more than that, which includes basically all of rural VT including a number of shotgun shacks I know of, is inequitable at least from the perspective of pure space allocation.

edit: also when I lived right out DC some of the people I knew who did live in walkable, high density areas still did really dumb poo poo like own two BWMs and drive 300 miles a week because they felt like they needed to get out of the city on the weekend and the only way to do it is to.... drive through 2 hours of sprawl. It only works if it's well designed and also in line with the expectations and behavior of the community.

I'd advise you to have a look at the Not Just Bikes channel on Youtube, and specifically their videos like this one on urban environments in sensibly designed places vs US cities. Here's another one. American and Canadian cities are hellish because of deliberate design, not because cities have to be that way.

MightyBigMinus
Jan 26, 2020

look idgaf what you do, but just recognize what you're doing here is such an annoyingly common america-brain cliche its starting to rank up there with "teenage libertarian white boy" on the rolleyes scale

you don't hate cities, you hate cars. all of the noise problems are from cars/trucks/motorcycles, not from humans.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.

MightyBigMinus posted:

you don't hate cities, you hate cars. all of the noise problems are from cars/trucks/motorcycles, not from humans.

I've never had the opportunity to live surrounded by humans in close proximity without urban noises, and I doubt if I ever will, but at least as much of my stress around cities arose from the constant human stimulation and forced interaction with humans that happens in public spaces.

I'd definitely prefer living in a well designed city to living in a poo poo city, but I think it's quite a stretch to imagine I'd rather live in a well designed city with 1000s of people within a couple square miles, than in a tree-filled landscape with far fewer people.

Complications posted:

I'd advise you to have a look at the Not Just Bikes channel on Youtube, and specifically their videos like this one on urban environments in sensibly designed places vs US cities. Here's another one. American and Canadian cities are hellish because of deliberate design, not because cities have to be that way.

American (and maybe Canadian?) urban planning has been poo poo for well beyond my lifetime and it certainly contributes to my dislike of cities. I have no idea if it's wholly responsible for them, or not; a lot of that also comes down to the toxicity of general American culture, etc.

I will watch these videos, because my belief at this time is that even the quietest, most well designed city (in existence now, or in hypothetical existence) would still expose me to a lot more stimulation in general than I get being in the middle of nowhere. People do things, things create noise and lights. Animals also do things but they rarely create light and the noises are a lot less, therefore we're happier in the woods, as are a lot of people are here, evidently. I am lucky enough to not have to commute; some of my neighbors drive 2 hours a day to avoid living in what passes for sprawl around here. (gently caress driving, if my job was Burlington bound, yea, we'd live there, and I'd be looking for remote gigs with all my free time).

edit: if there's any kind of "reference city" globally that is "the quietest and most walkable and private", I'd be curious to know. I know that Reykjavik consistently rates highly for "quiet", and based on my one week there, that's still way too much buzz and hustle for me. I have not had the chance to visit most other cities because they are places like Helsinki, and if there's a confluence of "quiet city" and "walkable, private city" I am likewise unaware.

Cabbages and VHS has issued a correction as of 00:30 on Oct 31, 2021

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Cars are poo poo

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
north american suburbia is the greatest misallocation of irreplaceable resources in human history and will be nearly impossible to fix l o l

Rapacity
Sep 12, 2007
Grand
I'm buckled in for all the world's leaders minus most of the big ones to come together to fix the little problem of massive overshoot and co2 by spending 5 days arguing protocol and finally probably going to the maldives or whatever for a big gently caress party harpooning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hubbert posted:

north american suburbia is the greatest misallocation of irreplaceable resources in human history and will be nearly impossible to fix l o l
I remember when I used to think Kunstler was a little bit too doomery to really take seriously but pretty much everything in the Long Emergency turned out to be loving spot on