Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

It's actually just part number 42069 and he's ordered it once

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Had my sump pump guy in for yearly service today. Told him it worked fine during Ida except for one spot in the corner where it seeped through the floor. He said it was just volume, too much for the system to keep up with.
He said for the first time in his career he has doesn’t have the answers. Wonders if NJ will be more like Florida / Texas, houses without basements cause they can’t keep them dry anymore.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT
In good news for the thread. I visited my 90 year old grand father last weekend and his dryer gave up the ghost.

We called the repair company he subscribes to...
It ends up being a simple $150 fix.
(For call out and an hour or so of labor, that is not bad at all.)

It sounded like the cord frayed in the back and ended up shorting something inside or something...
I didn't get photos as I was busy cleaning gutters.

Almost 40 year old washer and dryer, still keeping on...
So happy he can use the washer and dryer without any issues.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sweeper posted:

I too am having cooking problems. Oven preheats very slowly and doesn’t reach high temperatures anymore. Repair guy said the heating elements wear over time and their effectiveness wanes. Wants to replace the thermometer and all three (bake, convection, broil?) heating elements on the oven for a grand total of $775. The oven is “inset” into a cabinet and I’m guessing this is mostly labor. I’m in NYC so everything is more expensive, but this seems like a lot to replace some not incredibly expensive heating elements. I need to get more quotes obviously, but I’m asking to see if my sticker shock is unwarranted before I get more expensive quotes…

One of the relays in your oven is busted, that's it. Either lefty or righty doesn't click on anymore and your oven is only getting 120v to do a 240v job. Can you solder?

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

One of the relays in your oven is busted, that's it. Either lefty or righty doesn't click on anymore and your oven is only getting 120v to do a 240v job. Can you solder?

I can if pressed, how complicated are we talking here?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sweeper posted:

I can if pressed, how complicated are we talking here?

Depends on the range. Could be modular. It's a lotta juice, thin solder probably isn't going to cut it. Make model?

(also this is a confident guess not a guarantee.)

CongoJack
Nov 5, 2009

Ask Why, Asshole
Had the power flicker a couple times on the weekend, enough to reset clocks. Clock on the Original to the home stove said "FFF." That made me laugh. Used the range daily just fine but when I went to use the oven nothing happened. Googled the F error code on an old GE oven range and it means the board is dead and will need to be replaced.

F indeed.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

Depends on the range. Could be modular. It's a lotta juice, thin solder probably isn't going to cut it. Make model?

(also this is a confident guess not a guarantee.)

It’s a bosch hbn8451uc/02 according to the sticker, sits “in” a cabinet, not free standing if that is important

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

brb just going to sear some food on the stove and place the skillet in my toaster oven to finish

Also yeah, this is the first year we’ve had any moisture problems in our otherwise good and dry 100+ year old basement. So much rain, I think the soil just got overwhelmed and the humidity got crazy.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

The nor`easter from earlier this week knocked us out of power for a day and a half so now I'm in the market for something that can keep our essentials up and running while we wait out the power company. Standard stuff, 2 refrigerators, some lights, a few non-heating electronics and phone/device charging. I'd prefer an inverter generator that uses propane for the noise and smell.

I've read Honda is the gold standard but they're obviously more expensive than others. Anyone know if the EU2200i would be big enough to fill those needs? If not, the next scale up (EU3000IS) would really pushing the budget so I might need to look into alternative options.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sweeper posted:

It’s a bosch hbn8451uc/02 according to the sticker, sits “in” a cabinet, not free standing if that is important

Might be a whole board that gets replaced. Check out page 27 of this manual, does this look like your oven?

https://f01.justanswer.com/Dan-appliances/d29464de-248d-42cb-baa5-e0c69a982abe_HBL8451UC_service_manual.pdf

Don't bother turning it on until you do this, it will never get more than heating-pad warm.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Diva Cupcake posted:

The nor`easter from earlier this week knocked us out of power for a day and a half so now I'm in the market for something that can keep our essentials up and running while we wait out the power company. Standard stuff, 2 refrigerators, some lights, a few non-heating electronics and phone/device charging. I'd prefer an inverter generator that uses propane for the noise and smell.

I've read Honda is the gold standard but they're obviously more expensive than others. Anyone know if the EU2200i would be big enough to fill those needs? If not, the next scale up (EU3000IS) would really pushing the budget so I might need to look into alternative options.

The 2200 should work for that. It may get cranky if/when both fridges try to start at the same time. I mean....so would the 3000 so whatever. Other than startup inrush on stuff like that you should be fine.

You start getting into needing larger generators when you have things like well pumps that need to run.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

I have a dual fuel Champion I got from Sam's for $350 which ran a fridge, freezer and skillet for exactly 40 minutes at the tail end of a six day outage. The propane option is fantastic, I hope I never have to put gas in it. Nowhere near as quiet as a Honda of course!

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Diva Cupcake posted:

I have an EU2200i converted to nat gas and propane, and that's my plan for it. You might invest in a kill-a-watt wattage meter and check the wattage of your must-have appliances to make sure it's sized for what you plan to run. You should ideally use around 50% of a generators capacity as standard for the best fuel efficiency with it. So if you're idle load is towards the top end you may want to jump to a beefier gen.

My fridge uses <200 watts when running and since all my appliances that can be natural gas are, maintaining my house at <900 watts (50% of 1800) of electricity in a winter emergency is actually really easy.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

Thanks for the sizing info. My hangup on the EU2200UI was no propane but I didn’t know you could get a converter. Did you buy it modified or did you do it yourself with a kit?

That looks like the one to get.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Diva Cupcake posted:

Thanks for the sizing info. My hangup on the EU2200UI was no propane but I didn’t know you could get a converter. Did you buy it modified or did you do it yourself with a kit?

That looks like the one to get.

I bought mine already converted but the conversion kit doesn't look too hard to install.

This is the company I bought mine from:

https://www.genconnexdirect.net/

My first one actually arrived damaged because UPS dropped it a bunch, and Genconnex replaced it for free immediately. Sample size of 1 but I was pretty impressed they didn't even charge me for return shipping.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If I didn't live in a condo, I think a generator would be the first thing I'd buy. $1000 is a chunk of change, but being able to run a 500w space heater and a microwave and your fridge, as well as keep your internet connection online for 2-3 days at a time sure seems like a nice luxury the once every two years you need it

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Hadlock posted:

If I didn't live in a condo, I think a generator would be the first thing I'd buy. $1000 is a chunk of change, but being able to run a 500w space heater and a microwave and your fridge, as well as keep your internet connection online for 2-3 days at a time sure seems like a nice luxury the once every two years you need it

* your internet connect will not stay online because the lovely incumbent provider will absolutely have worse infrastructure than your $1000 generator, and even if they technically do they didn't test them and/or don't have the fuel contracts in place to keep them running for any extended outage.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Is there any kind of regulatory forcing factor lever I can lean on here

Right after we moved in we lost power twice and whatever 20 year old sealed lead batteries are in the Telecom closet subbasement are obviously dead and the customer service guy doesn't have a check mark on his screen for "replace DR batteries at this site"

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Is there any kind of regulatory forcing factor lever I can lean on here

Right after we moved in we lost power twice and whatever 20 year old sealed lead batteries are in the Telecom closet subbasement are obviously dead and the customer service guy doesn't have a check mark on his screen for "replace DR batteries at this site"

Did your cellular or dial tone service go out? If not, no. If so, yes. Short of the cell site literally burning down.

You do get paid GOOD money to be the moron driving a tank of diesel up the fire roads. :stare:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

It's Google fiber and the Telecom closet is physically in my building so setting fire to it in the medium term is not beneficial to my interests

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

SpartanIvy posted:

I bought mine already converted but the conversion kit doesn't look too hard to install.

This is the company I bought mine from:

https://www.genconnexdirect.net/
Awesome. The 6 week wait time sucks but they’re actually sort of local so I’ll call them and see what they have available. Much appreciated.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Hadlock posted:

It's Google fiber and the Telecom closet is physically in my building so setting fire to it in the medium term is not beneficial to my interests

You have seen the batteries with your own eyes?

I only meant you have a regulatory leg to stand on if pstn dial tone or cell service went down and the infrastructure didn't literally burn down. Aka things you use to dial 911. (catv/fiber dial tone all come with a "THIS IS NOT FOR 911" warning to get around that. At least they did the last time I saw a sign up kit.)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Well I guess I'm signing up for landline service tomorrow

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum

Diva Cupcake posted:

Awesome. The 6 week wait time sucks but they’re actually sort of local so I’ll call them and see what they have available. Much appreciated.

One thing to keep in mind is that generators running on propane or natural gas usually make less power than they do when run on gas, if you look at the specs on most hybrid generators you'll see a second lower rating for propane.

I glanced at the site and didn't see anything addressing this in the faq either way, if the generator is on the cusp of not quite being big enough for you I'd check with the company before buying anything.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Elem7 posted:

One thing to keep in mind is that generators running on propane or natural gas usually make less power than they do when run on gas, if you look at the specs on most hybrid generators you'll see a second lower rating for propane.

I glanced at the site and didn't see anything addressing this in the faq either way, if the generator is on the cusp of not quite being big enough for you I'd check with the company before buying anything.

This is a good thing to point out and it does have it on the site under each of the generators as a bullet point.

Here is the info for the EU2200i:
2,200 Watts Peak (1,800 Natural Gas)
1800 Watts average

So really for natural gas you just lose the 400 additional watts of peak power.

It's also noted in the brochure and manual, both of which I would recommend anyone read if they are considering purchasing a generator.
https://genconnexdirect.net/Liturature/Manuals/Genconnex_Bi-Fuel_EU2200i_Supplement_70-0019r2.00_EC.pdf

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

This is a good thing to point out and it does have it on the site under each of the generators as a bullet point.

Here is the info for the EU2200i:
2,200 Watts Peak (1,800 Natural Gas)
1800 Watts average

So really for natural gas you just lose the 400 additional watts of peak power.

And average. It's going to be a % reduction across the board. Expect to see 1400-1500 average as well on nat gas.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

This is how I get talked into the 3000i

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts
What's a reasonable price for replacing a hot water tank with tankless?

We just got quoted $20,000 which seems incredibly high.

Also quoted $5,000 to just replace the hot water tank with a new one of the same.

Northern Virginia, SW of DC so I expect it will be higher, but that seems astronomical from what I'm finding on quick online searching. I'm guessing this guy is just throwing out gently caress you quotes?

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

Rasputin on the Ritz posted:

Also quoted $5,000 to just replace the hot water tank with a new one of the same.

Northern Virginia, SW of DC so I expect it will be higher, but that seems astronomical from what I'm finding on quick online searching. I'm guessing this guy is just throwing out gently caress you quotes?

We did our entire heating (3 zone hydronic from old steam) and hot water system for 28k in the Boston area and we probably overpaid a bit as a data point

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

Get more quotes. Use Yelp or whatever to find other outfits. Check with HVAC/plumbing/electrical big guys in your area.

Rasputin on the Ritz
Jun 24, 2010
Come let's mix where Rockefellers
walk with sticks or um-ber-ellas
in their mitts

Inner Light posted:

Get more quotes. Use Yelp or whatever to find other outfits. Check with HVAC/plumbing/electrical big guys in your area.

Yeah, we're going to get a bunch of quotes. The tank failed so we had to have someone come out to cap it off so we can at least have cold water while we figure it out. I'd have given the job to him right then and there if the quote wasn't used car money, but with saying twenty grad we're going to be looking around a lot. I just wanted to know if that was on the high end of normal or just crazy.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

H110Hawk posted:

Might be a whole board that gets replaced. Check out page 27 of this manual, does this look like your oven?

https://f01.justanswer.com/Dan-appliances/d29464de-248d-42cb-baa5-e0c69a982abe_HBL8451UC_service_manual.pdf

Don't bother turning it on until you do this, it will never get more than heating-pad warm.

That does look like our oven, but our oven does get hot… eventually, but also won’t reach 475 it seems. It gets close, but never quite gets there

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

It might be incredibly high, it might just be a little bit high. it depends on the job.

If gas: Fuel like upgrade (they need a lot more gas than a tanked heater)?
If electric: Almost definitely requires running a higher amperage circuit. Box full? Need an actual service upgrade?

Not to mention the plumbing changes to do it right. You're looking at a day of labor and a grand of copper on top of the cost of the tankless to set one up properly.

Where you live also matters, because labor rates aren't all the same.

But yeah, get more quotes.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
It'd still be good to get more quotes. My tank replacement was like 2300 and labor here isn't cheap either (Seattle). It wasn't as far into the shortage hellscape though. June of this year

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Diva Cupcake posted:

This is how I get talked into the 3000i

You know you really want to get the 7000is (or 2 to run in parallel)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Sweeper posted:

That does look like our oven, but our oven does get hot… eventually, but also won’t reach 475 it seems. It gets close, but never quite gets there

Gotcha, when you said "warm not hot" I thought you meant like temperatures you could like warm plates with but not cook food. Yeah that does sound like a bad element then, though it's out of my depth. If you can touch the inside then it's a relay, if you can't it's something else.

Don't go tankless unless you desperately want the space back. Don't go tankless ever if it's electric. Like for like normal old hot water heater, nothing fancy, should be like $2500 and half a days work for a plumber. Like, they have 20 of those suckers in the warehouse. In the before times you could possibly get it done for like $1500 with the cheapest effectively-zero warranty tank around. Is the old tank gone? If so, tell the person on the phone that. "Hey my water heater went out, I need a (gas|electric) X-gallon heater, the old tank is gone, when can you come by and install a name-brand replacement like Rheem?"

If you have a handy friend you can truly DIY this assuming you can lift the water heater into place.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm building some bookshelves for the back wall of my office and want the shelves to have some lighting. I feel like this has come up on the forum before but couldn't find it in this thread.

My plan was to add some lip to the front of each bookshelf cover and mount a bracket to make LED tape lights downcast by 45 degrees and diffuse it. So just cut those to length for my bookshelves, and run wires up to the brackets.

Questions:
  • Is this a good plan to light up my bookshelves to provide some ambiance?
  • Thoughts on that bracket above? How do those get mounted to the shelf?
  • I want RGB/warm-white led strips, any recommendations on brand/type?
  • What to use to power/control the RGBwW strips? I have ZigBee/Zwave but want home assistant to be able to control.
  • I'll have almost 36 linear feet of bookshelf space, any other considerations for power/control?

Thanks, I feel like this would be a fun project to really make these cabinets "mine" but really haven't messed with LED strip lighting before.

Upgrade
Jun 19, 2021

Aluminum dryer vent hose - how hard is this to replace? Just patch with aluminum tape instead?

Upgrade fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Ideally you replace the original part, but yeah