Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Come And See posted:

Could anyone recommend me a fancy indoor stationary bike?

I don't own a normal bike, I've finally moved into a house with space, this would be my first exercise equipment and I want to lose weight over the winter. I'm a big guy, 6'1", 280lb.

My budget could go as high as $4000. I rarely ever treat myself (I can afford it, I'm just crazy frugal) and I want to get something I can be proud of that will last me.

I want the best bike my budget can buy within reason, but don't need fancy software for entertainment (I plan on watching Netflix) and am averse to anything subscription-based. Tech for health tracking is fine but not a requirement.

I already own a large industrial fan.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Pure honesty here.

You shouldn't spend $4000 or even $2000 on this. This is based entirely on your own description...since you don't need fancy software and don't want a sub, you don't need to spend a lot. You basically want a spinbike with knob that pushes a brush or magnets closer to the flywheel/wheel. Also losing weight really isn't about doing massive amounts of aerobic activity because doing massive amounts of aerobic activity will make you hangry af. It's cliche, but what you really need to do is cut your portions first.

Also any fitness tracking / calorie counting based off indoor bikes that aren't in the $2500 range won't be reliable, but for your goals spending that much makes no sense at all.

My advice? Get a real bike and ride it. Eat less. You can eat as often, just eat less with every meal/snack. Even seasoned/hardcore cyclists find it hard to train indoors...it's something very few people can stomach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
For me, I got a lot out of chasing stats and tracking data that indoor riding with a subscription service makes easy. There are specific training plans, primarily HIIT based, that take the guess work out of trying to figure out how long to ride and how hard to go. Sure you can plan on just riding for two hours while watching a movie but you're more than likely going to fall into an easier pace, burn less calories and ultimately be less efficient with your time.

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Any reasons not to get a Kickr Core as a first trainer? I have a wahoo computer and my frame should be compatible as well.

Seeing it online for 700 instead of 800 recently and wondering if that’s due to a new model coming out or similar.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

That’s a fine trainer. It’d be great.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
I would seriously not be concerned about the possibility of any new versions. I have a Kickr and most of the time for my usage it functions very similarly to the Tacx Bluematic turbo I bought a decade ago for around 1/10th the price.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

After a season of this, I’d almost suggest any wheel on trainer and training tire if you’re not really into tri or serious riding. If you can stick with it or fall in love with the gamification then by all means upgrade and offload the thing to someone who is starting.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Trainer smarts and features are basically played out. They can only really get cheaper or add little features like barely squishy feet or hardwired connections a heavier flywheel or whatever. If you want a trainer, buy one now. They are easy to sell on the used market if you want the latest/greatest some time down the road.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc
What apps do you guys use on the trainers besides Zwift, Trainerroads, and Strugglefuck or whatever?

I'm checking out Rouvy. Looks like what I'm after. A route to ride, some realistic backgrounds, and some simple analytics.

I did a gentle tour of Foggy Berlin and didn't hate it. There's not a ton of audio (unless I hosed something up), and it doesn't sync via a companion app. Still figuring out how to set it up properly.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2020/03/cycling-indoor-trainer-app-guide.html

Have fun, it’s a lot of words

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
I failed to get the GTAV mod working, but I definitely want to try again.

https://www.gta5-mods.com/scripts/gt-bike-v

LRADIKAL fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Oct 6, 2021

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

Thank you!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

That's now rebranded after Wahoo bought it

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's now rebranded after Wahoo bought it

strgglfck

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I’m back on the TR low volume plan until cross is over, then I’ll go to mid volume once December starts. I wasn’t very diligent last year since all my hard work the previous winter went largely to waste without racing. Not looking forward to dying in the basement.

Why can’t I get faster without doing the work??

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Why can’t I get faster without doing the work??

Because you don't know any spanish doctors

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Because you don't know any spanish doctors

Dm the hookup

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Cannon_Fodder posted:

What apps do you guys use on the trainers besides Zwift, Trainerroads, and Strugglefuck or whatever?

I'm checking out Rouvy. Looks like what I'm after. A route to ride, some realistic backgrounds, and some simple analytics.

I did a gentle tour of Foggy Berlin and didn't hate it. There's not a ton of audio (unless I hosed something up), and it doesn't sync via a companion app. Still figuring out how to set it up properly.

I use golden cheetah because my main thing is running, and I wasn't interested in paying a subscription fee to do basic controls. I doubt it's what you're looking for though

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

Design by Kamoc

gwrtheyrn posted:

I use golden cheetah because my main thing is running, and I wasn't interested in paying a subscription fee to do basic controls. I doubt it's what you're looking for though

I appreciate the suggestion.

I can't run further than a mile without my papertowel knees fall clean off :(

Serendipitaet
Apr 19, 2009
Thanks for the input everyone, all very helpful.

Partycat posted:

After a season of this, I’d almost suggest any wheel on trainer and training tire if you’re not really into tri or serious riding. If you can stick with it or fall in love with the gamification then by all means upgrade and offload the thing to someone who is starting.

Sounds very reasonable, too. I came across a service that offers a 3 month rental period with an option to buy at the end, perhaps I’ll try that.

DJ Burette
Jan 6, 2010
I just picked up a Tacx Flux from a friend but it doesn't come with a freehub. Do I need to buy the freehub listed on the tacx website or can I buy a cheaper one from somewhere else? If I can buy a cheaper one is there anything I need to watch out for? It's been a while since I bought a freehub of any sort and there seem to be a needlessly large range of different types.

Looking forward to moving from my extremely loud wheel on turbo to something slightly quieter and more accurate, I'm sure my neighbours will approve too.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So I bought this DMASUN exercise bike in anticipation of not wanting to bike outside in the winter and since it's on sale. I'm just kinda looking for confirmation that I didn't do something really stupid with my money; item hasn't shipped yet so I can return it if the thing sucks or there's something more cost effective I could get.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why not get a wheel on smart trainer for a little more and do zwift? The motivation and reinforcement from using any of the apps is what keeps me riding.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

EvenWorseOpinions posted:

So I bought this DMASUN exercise bike in anticipation of not wanting to bike outside in the winter and since it's on sale. I'm just kinda looking for confirmation that I didn't do something really stupid with my money; item hasn't shipped yet so I can return it if the thing sucks or there's something more cost effective I could get.

That’s not great but you could add power pedals to it for zwift or trainer road or whatever.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I might be misunderstanding the subject of this thread, I'm just looking for a substitute bike like thing to keep me from getting too far out of shape during winter and I'm looking to do it as cheaply as practical. I'm getting from context that trainers aren't a direct overlap with exercise bikes?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
Instead of buying that bike off of Amazon that will most assuredly fall apart within a year and probably be wildly uncomfortable to ride you could buy a used Kurt kinetic for $100 and use your current bike to better results. Or, as someone upthread mentioned, spend a little more for a smart wheel on trainer and have access to fun integration with various trainer platforms.

I don't personally know of reliable exercise bike brands, but I just know that the one you linked is a bad idea in the long haul.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Am I seeing somewhere where they mention owning a bike though?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
You had me double checking and no it's not actually explicitly stated. I guess I took the "not wanting to bike outside this winter" comment and inferred ownership from that.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So maybe I'll start from scratch and offer some context so people can make sense of the less than helpful ways I've phrased my questions. First off, I didn't realize going into this thread that trainers are distinct from exercise bikes because I suffer from a crippling lack of reading comprehension and I'm also very dumb.

I do own a bike, I've gotten back into riding about two months ago after a long hiatus. I don't plan to bike outside often, or maybe at all, over the winter and my goal is to have something to keep me in decent biking shape until it warms back up; my primary thing right now is to find the most cost effective option that fulfills that goal, whether that's an exercise bike, a trainer, or some undiscovered other option. On account of cost I'm not really looking at any virtual biking offerings for right now at least.

I mentioned earlier that I bought this exercise bike and aside from it not being a trainer, it sounds like people don't think it would be reliable. I still have a window of time to cancel the order. I didn't go digging super deep but I didn't see an exercise bike thread, but I'm hoping someone here might help me out then with cost effective exercise bikes, or to convince me that's a dumb idea since I already own a bike and could just get a trainer.

Cost effectiveness is kind of a vague term, but if we say I'm willing to spend up to $500 on a trainer or an exercise bike, what would be my best option? Or, should I just hold on to my $500 and get something when I'm willing to throw more money at it?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

Cost effectiveness is kind of a vague term, but if we say I'm willing to spend up to $500 on a trainer or an exercise bike, what would be my best option? Or, should I just hold on to my $500 and get something when I'm willing to throw more money at it?

I can't answer any questions about trainers (I don't have a real bike or have interest in getting one), but I got this exercise bike at the beginning of the summer and it has been great for Apple Fitness+ for me and my wife.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08JCLKHHW/

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

or to convince me that's a dumb idea since I already own a bike and could just get a trainer.

If you just want to sit there and do some exercise without worrying about Zwift or anything but increasing your heart rate, cheap wheel on trainers can be had for $100 or less. Maybe you'll want to invest in a trainer tyre, but again that's not a great outlay. No need to spend money if you're on a budget and you don't have to.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
The main issue I have with pretty much every stationary bike that doesn't have a power meter is they're waaaay overpriced for what they are. They're pulling in sales from people that see Peloton prices and think $500 is a bargain. Seconding the advice to get a wheel-on (or even direct drive if you want to save a little more space) trainer to use with your existing bike and save a bunch of money.

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
I'd definitely look at getting a Kurt on your local marketplace for your situation and I wouldn't pay anything over $100. They're all over the used market right now and since they're built like tanks they hold up incredibly well. There's plenty you can buy to go with it (lord knows I've done that over the years), but the only thing you really truly need is a fan and a couple of books to put under your front wheel. My first few years or so with a trainer I never had a plan or anything. I figured if I'm going to be sitting here watching these movies there's no reason I can't be pedaling at the same time.

Other cool things you can get but absolutely don't actually need:
towel under the bike (this is as close to a need as you can get though)
towels or "bike thongs" over the bike
exercise specific mat under the bike
fancy tire holding thing for your front wheel
sketchy as gently caress piece of wood with a QR attachment on it for your front fork
insanely expensive auto adjusting fork mount thingy from wahoo
some kind of table to put in front of you to hold fans or computers or phones or.....
a side table to hold water bottles or food or phone or....
an extra flywheel attachment for more road like feeling
more bigger fans
fancy as auto adjusting fans from wahoo
subscription services for fun or profit
a second tv for said subscription services
a bike computer to track these rides
never turn off the gps on said computer so you end up drawing weird scribble maps around your house on strava
speed sensor and/or heart rate monitor for MORE DATA in your bike computer
power meter for even MORE DATA in your bike computer
headphones for some cool tunes while you ride
bt headphones so you can hear the TV over the fans without waking the baby
foam roller for that post workout recovery
theragun for that percussive post workout recovery
homemade rocker plate system using tennis balls
fancy rear end rocker plate system with bearings and poo poo

I'm kinda having fun making this list. Am I forgetting anything?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Crumps Brother posted:

I'm kinda having fun making this list. Am I forgetting anything?

rollers so you can practice falling off

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
I am scribbling furious notes.

I was looking at local marketplaces a while back and wasn't searching for Kurts, but didn't see them either. Are there any other reputable enough brands I might want to look out for?

I'll take another look tonight and actively search for Kurt and we'll se what happens

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
The deal with the Kurt Kinetic is that their fluid trainers don't leak. Like ever, I guess. And I guess all the others will at some point because of some fundamental difference in the design. If you grabbed a used wind or magnetic trainer I think the brand you get will start to matter a lot less. And to be perfectly frank, my wife has a diamondback fluid trainer and it's going on four or five years now and is leak free still. CycleOps is another big brand and I spent a year on a magnetic one of those. Lots of others too, I'm sure. My knowledge isn't very wide on the whole range of availability.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
So I'm not seeing a lot of listings for trainers in general in my area, but there is a listing close by for a Kinetic Rock and Roll and a trainer tire for $400. It's been listed for about a half a year, is that a decent price supposing the guy still has it and there's nothing wrong with it? I'm not really certain what the MSRP is because it seems like Kinetic hates model numbers. I'm thinking about picking it up even though it's a bit more expensive than what I was looking for; worst case I can resell it.

bicievino
Feb 5, 2015

So I'm not seeing a lot of listings for trainers in general in my area, but there is a listing close by for a Kinetic Rock and Roll and a trainer tire for $400. It's been listed for about a half a year, is that a decent price supposing the guy still has it and there's nothing wrong with it? I'm not really certain what the MSRP is because it seems like Kinetic hates model numbers. I'm thinking about picking it up even though it's a bit more expensive than what I was looking for; worst case I can resell it.

That's not a good price unless it includes the power meter add-on.

EvenWorseOpinions
Jun 10, 2017
It says it has Bluetooth capability, is that the same thing or is it different?

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game
It's $479 brand new so I wouldn't look any further on that one. Bum deal about your availability. And as much as I tout the Kurt bandwagon, that only goes as far as dumb trainers. Their smart trainer lineup is rife with software issues and seeing as it's been that way for years now I wouldn't count on it getting better any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

The magnet and sensor kit isn’t super pricy but yeah at this point I would not grab one that close to MSRP.

The smart upgrade is more than half the price of it new too , to keep in mind.

Do we have a Zwift … thing … for group ride or whatever ?