Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017
Use 2 Walters and Mars. You have massive Speed advantage over your opponents since those Keypage has 2 Dices. Then focus fire on one opponent. Screw clashing. Almost nothing can survive being attacked 6 times. Turning the fight into 3 vs 2 will tip the scale in your favor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.
How you're supposed to do the Carnival is using Fascinating Fabric to block their Tailoring, and then cleaning them all up at once after that. But yeah you can brute-force them pretty easily.

People talk about Walter a lot, but Olga also rules. Three Daring Decisions, and then some other combination of Molar Office cards works great. Margin is your best light/draw source at this point, and the rolls on Daring Decision are high for Urban Plague. You should also check out the General Invitations for Urban Plague, there's some much better stuff in there from this point onwards.

Or you can listen to your heart and make a Brawl deck. Let the Brawl flow through you. Trust in the Brawl and the Brawl will bring you salvation.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Arcvasti posted:

How you're supposed to do the Carnival is using Fascinating Fabric to block their Tailoring, and then cleaning them all up at once after that. But yeah you can brute-force them pretty easily.

Wait, is that how it works? I remember reaching Carnival and just being like :blastu: until they died.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Carnival was always too ez to bother with any gimmicks, yeah.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
Mili released a Ruina mini-album

https://twitter.com/ProjectMili/status/1453949932994392075?t=mC_RnhtKqkSoXcGFv9HaWg&s=19

Obnoxipus
Apr 4, 2011

Acerbatus posted:

It's alright, not my favorite, though I'm a bit confused on if it's just like, a bonus track that PM commissioned?

Poor philip, forever using royalty free music.

apparently it's an alternate opening theme that they wrote before string theocracy, which imo does fit the game's tone better than the newly-released song.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

we who are crowned with the crest of wisdom
Hey, got this game when it went on sale recently. I'm hitting a difficulty spike at Urban Nightmare, and I have two questions while I try to rework my decks.

One, any tips for Queen of Hatred? She is just annihilating whoever she targets and losing anyone seems like its the start of a very fast death spiral.

Two, the card Dark Cloud says "Combat Start: Upon each successful Slash attack this scene, inflict 1 Bleed next scene". I thought this card was bad because it only has one slash dice on itself with mediocre numbers and the Razor Strike passive does the same 1 bleed per slash attack, but does it stack with other people's Slash attacks?

not really a third question: why did they hide a super good key page (Hanafuda) in the general receptions what the heck

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

One option for QoH is just do other stuff, you don't need to beat her immediately.

And there are a lot of good pages in the later general receptions. There should be a reason to do them or else why include them in the game.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

booksnake posted:

Hey, got this game when it went on sale recently. I'm hitting a difficulty spike at Urban Nightmare, and I have two questions while I try to rework my decks.

One, any tips for Queen of Hatred? She is just annihilating whoever she targets and losing anyone seems like its the start of a very fast death spiral.

Two, the card Dark Cloud says "Combat Start: Upon each successful Slash attack this scene, inflict 1 Bleed next scene". I thought this card was bad because it only has one slash dice on itself with mediocre numbers and the Razor Strike passive does the same 1 bleed per slash attack, but does it stack with other people's Slash attacks?

not really a third question: why did they hide a super good key page (Hanafuda) in the general receptions what the heck

1) Do you have Bamboo Hat Kim yet? He's extremely powerful. Emma with Puppet passive is too.

2) Dark Cloud is in fact a bad card even for bleed stacking, it affects all slash card the character that's using it makes that turn.

3) General Receptions after something early like axe gang were made after the story receptions, and they're basically all better than the story reception options until Star of the City. (Where they get outclassed by pages with 4 base light, which general receptions don't get). Even when the key pages themselves are outclassed though, they've usually got good passives to attribute and some decent combat pages.

Looking at you, Worksho Affiliated Fixers.

Obnoxipus posted:

apparently it's an alternate opening theme that they wrote before string theocracy, which imo does fit the game's tone better than the newly-released song.

Oh I see. Weird that it doesn't really seem to relate to LoR.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Oct 30, 2021

booksnake
May 4, 2009

I've been using the Grade 8/Grade 7 Fixer passives for that little extra edge of +1 Damage/Stagger and that was where my expectations stayed at. Good pages like the Workshop pierce cards slotted into the pierce decks I made to go with Porccubus or whatever that pierce abnormality was called. I just was real surprised to find something so deck-defining when the introductory encounters in the other receptions start off so generic. I don't think I've fought any axe gang so maybe I missed some combinations.

I have not seen Bamboo Hat Kim, and I died to Emma. Him being unstaggerable was a real bitch to fight around. I chickened out before fighting sweepers because they have like base 6 dice rolls on half their cards and there's 5 of them. I was going to fight the Section 2 guys but I can tell I'm supposed to do a bunch of damage output management so that I don't kill them too fast and enrage them all, and there's 5 of them again. So now I'm here doing deck tinkering and asking questions.

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

booksnake posted:

I've been using the Grade 8/Grade 7 Fixer passives for that little extra edge of +1 Damage/Stagger and that was where my expectations stayed at. Good pages like the Workshop pierce cards slotted into the pierce decks I made to go with Porccubus or whatever that pierce abnormality was called. I just was real surprised to find something so deck-defining when the introductory encounters in the other receptions start off so generic. I don't think I've fought any axe gang so maybe I missed some combinations.

I have not seen Bamboo Hat Kim, and I died to Emma. Him being unstaggerable was a real bitch to fight around. I chickened out before fighting sweepers because they have like base 6 dice rolls on half their cards and there's 5 of them. I was going to fight the Section 2 guys but I can tell I'm supposed to do a bunch of damage output management so that I don't kill them too fast and enrage them all, and there's 5 of them again. So now I'm here doing deck tinkering and asking questions.

Sweepers are hard but their cards are great and the keypage passives are REAL good, in contention for best in the game.

For Queen, a lot of her attacks are ranged, and if you can clash with a card that leads with a single high roll, it can nullify a big chunk of her deck. Pierce stacked transpierce does a lot of work.

Your Everyday NEET
Apr 26, 2017

WarpedLichen posted:

Sweepers are hard but their cards are great and the keypage passives are REAL good, in contention for best in the game.
And the fight after the Sweepers provide a new deck archetype that's powerful, easy to utilize, and also contains one of the best utility card that's likely to stay in your deck all the time due to how absurdly good it is.

They're really powerful. But so long as you can kill one of them, you get their book.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!

booksnake posted:

You can grab Bamboo Hat Kim from a Nightmare-tier general reception - if you've got a couple of Nightmare books throw them in the invitation menu and grab him. Any two will work. He's probably the best keypage in the game if you're taking into account availability and relative strength - he's an endgame lineup keypage that you can get at the start of Urban Nightmare, the only other one of those that you can get in Nightmare is Yujin.

I'd also recommend going back to Urban Plague for a bit and grabbing the Jeong's Office general reception too - using Hanafuda's passives you can make an discard deck pretty drat strong. Three Stay Calm, three Daring Decision and three Shuffle Hands on Hanafuda's keypage with Olga, Mika and Rain attributed should result in a pretty powerful unit that you can slowly upgrade over the course of the game as you gain access to more archetype support (those being the Mirae Life Insurance general reception in Star of the City and a story boss in the endgame). Discard as a whole is a pretty powerful and consistent archetype, with the only downside being that you can only really have one of them at max power because you only get one copy of all the best passives.

GilliamYaeger fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Oct 30, 2021

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

for the entire game i thought the singleton requirement only applied to the card, not your entire deck. somehow i never figured out that my draw was way too low. oh well

IAmThatIs
Nov 17, 2014

Wasteland Style
So I imagine there’s significant cross over between Slay the Spire and Library of Ruina, so I’m posting this in both threads.

There is a FANTASTIC mod for StS which replaces all default enemies and events with Ruina inspired ones. Needless to say, there are massive spoilers, so if you care about plot don’t get it. Otherwise, it’s a truly remarkable mod which smoothly integrates a variety of Ruina mechanics into the game. I can not emphasize enough how blown away I was when I started playing it.

Here’s the steam workshop link
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2396661789

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Whew, managed to beat The Crying Children on my first go with Yesod's floor and all its wacky pages, even if I kinda sorta might've accidentally left one librarian with the default kit. thankfully der shooty is wonderful for putting a stop to the cherubs shenanigans, getting me into Star of the City!

And the first fight I tried, The Thumb, saw a full floor wiped out without even managing to get a book for my troubles. Guess it's back to the drawing board for me.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I just picked this game up on Steam. Got a few baby questions, sorry and thank you in advance!

How do I tell how much HP/SP my guys have left? Or am I not supposed to know?

Is there any time limit to how long a day lasts, or is it just "until you get enough stuff, then you can quit, try not to trigger the big scary meltdown"? The tutorial told me "look at how much time is left in the day" and I don't see a timer anywhere, only the meltdown thing.

Does anything bad happen from like... NOT attending to an abnormality? Like if I just don't touch a certain one and only focus on the others? Does it have a time limit?

Is there any reason not to like... stick around and grind up my agents' stats by doing work repeatedly with a single abnormality even once I have all the boxes for the day? Does that work?

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Oct 31, 2021

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Tiny Myers posted:

I just picked this game up on Steam. Got a few baby questions, sorry and thank you in advance!

How do I tell how much HP/SP my guys have left? Or am I not supposed to know?

Is there any time limit to how long a day lasts, or is it just "until you get enough stuff, then you can quit, try not to trigger the big scary meltdown"? The tutorial told me "look at how much time is left in the day" and I don't see a timer anywhere, only the meltdown thing.

Does anything bad happen from like... NOT attending to an abnormality? Like if I just don't touch a certain one and only focus on the others? Does it have a time limit?

Is there any reason not to like... stick around and grind up my agents' stats by doing work repeatedly with a single abnormality even once I have all the boxes for the day? Does that work?

HP/SP counts are an early game upgrade, just keep going.

You can keep a day running forever, but you'll eventually hit a point where every cell is getting tagged by a meltdown every new level, which is Bad if you have something that can kill your day if you get too many poor results on it.

Ignoring a Meltdown makes you lose a good bit of energy, and if the abno that's having a meltdown can breach, letting it time out will instantly breach it.

You can grind stats like that, yes, but each tier of abno has a soft cap at which point stat XP plummets. Highly recommend installing Basemod and More Detailed Information, as that tells you exactly how much an agent has gotten.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Thanks!

Another question - she said something about "seems like you've made some sacrifices to get half the energy, don't let it get you down, keep working" but... uhhh... my guys all seem alive?

Also, is there more info on what the clerks do? Do I need to worry about them or are they just kind of background fodder? The tutorial didn't really explain.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Tiny Myers posted:

Thanks!

Another question - she said something about "seems like you've made some sacrifices to get half the energy, don't let it get you down, keep working" but... uhhh... my guys all seem alive?

Also, is there more info on what the clerks do? Do I need to worry about them or are they just kind of background fodder? The tutorial didn't really explain.

That's just a random line that can get thrown out when you hit 50% of your quota, don't worry about it.

Clerks are effectively useless. They might take a shot at a breaching abno (at a 50% chance to do 0-1 damage), or they might freak out and kill themselves. Clerks do give a small bonus based on what department they're in and how many are still alive, but by mid game you'll get a tool that lets you execute them without pissing off any abnos that breach on employee deaths, and you'll be expected to use it religiously.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

The time has come. Soon, the bell shall ring. A new world will come. Rise, my servants. Rise and serve me. I am death and life. Darkness and light.

Tiny Myers posted:

Thanks!

Angela talks, like, a lot... Most of it can be ignored. She's just going through the motions.

You can also check the HP/SP of your Agents before you get the upgrade that shows you the bars by just selecting an Abnormality and looking at them on that window—it'll always show the bars there.

As for the Clerks themselves... uh... hold on, I have an explanatory post. There's nothing particularly spoilery in it if you're worried about that but it explains what Clerks do for you.

But ultimately Clerks don't count. :lobcorp: Best of luck!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Thank you! The information from the tutorial and whatnot was a little overwhelming, but I think I'm digesting it.

One more question - if nothing is currently melting down or progressing, can you just leave the game unpaused without ill effects? Like, are there any timers actively running, or is it the same as if you had hit the pause button, effectively?

Just wondering if I need to micromanage this like I'm going hardcore on the Sims and press the pause button constantly or if I can just let my dudes amble around while I figure out what to do next.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Tiny Myers posted:

Thank you! The information from the tutorial and whatnot was a little overwhelming, but I think I'm digesting it.

One more question - if nothing is currently melting down or progressing, can you just leave the game unpaused without ill effects? Like, are there any timers actively running, or is it the same as if you had hit the pause button, effectively?

Just wondering if I need to micromanage this like I'm going hardcore on the Sims and press the pause button constantly or if I can just let my dudes amble around while I figure out what to do next.

For the most part, yes, but there are a few abnos that either directly act based on time passed, or have a side effect that can very rapidly snowball if you let things run.

Just get into the habit of pausing whenever you're queuing up works.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Just get into the habit of pausing whenever you're queuing up works.

Actually maybe don't do this unless you have to.

Trust me on this one. :v:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

This game is neat but strange. I got a mission for triggering a dusk phenomenon or something but apparently those can't even trigger on the day I'm on so I spent way too much time trying to trigger it. I also lost my first agent (well, permanently, without resetting). Drank a bad soda can and hosed off to an alternate universe to fish on a boat. :911:

I also got like, an orb of... control, or something? And it doesn't say what the 4th tier does, just that they lose the ability to exist, which I'm guessing means they die? I wish it would tell you if it was cumulative for a given agent or just a single sustained session of uninterrupted wear. Seems like it would suck to randomly lose an agent to that.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

LoR: Hey, I did it. I cleared the reception (and met very strong chain-smoker librarian). So new question, how does Eye of Death/Enervation work? "All dice gain +4 power, all dice lose 3 power". Let's see, if I have a 2-7 die. +4 power means it would become 6-11, and then -3 power means it would become 3-8? But then, why wouldn't you just have "All dice gain +1 power"? What am I missing here?

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

booksnake posted:

LoR: Hey, I did it. I cleared the reception (and met very strong chain-smoker librarian). So new question, how does Eye of Death/Enervation work? "All dice gain +4 power, all dice lose 3 power". Let's see, if I have a 2-7 die. +4 power means it would become 6-11, and then -3 power means it would become 3-8? But then, why wouldn't you just have "All dice gain +1 power"? What am I missing here?

It's flavor. The thing about the Shi Association is that they're all super tired and even their abilities have them not at their best. Eye of Death/Enervation is basically just +1 power, worded oddly to reflect the fact that they're tired and it'd normally be much better.

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Oooh. So in a theoretical top condition, they'd be an unstoppable god running at +4 all day. Lmao, doesn't that mean I'm inflicting deathly exhaustion on my librarians by giving them this book? Super rude, but I guess par for the course after Lob Corp.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

booksnake posted:

Oooh. So in a theoretical top condition, they'd be an unstoppable god running at +4 all day. Lmao, doesn't that mean I'm inflicting deathly exhaustion on my librarians by giving them this book? Super rude, but I guess par for the course after Lob Corp.

Shi was added in before keypage attribution, iirc, so they originally had their passives split. This means that you could do exactly that when attribution was added until PM wisely combined everything for them.

TeeQueue
Oct 9, 2012

BisbyWorl posted:

Shi was added in before keypage attribution, iirc, so they originally had their passives split. This means that you could do exactly that when attribution was added until PM wisely combined everything for them.

Yeah, you remember correctly.

It got patched within 48 hours. :v:

booksnake
May 4, 2009

Beat Emma. Went to go do puppets. /Now/ I get a tutorial on what this yellow die does that Emma was already using. I feel like this is an oversight, and they should've just straight up locked you into doing puppets first. Edit: Beat puppets. Now Chesed is talking about Kali like Roland hadn't already met her, when he has, in my frame of continuity. My opinion on this busted signposting deepens. Edit2: Well, given that I managed to still beat Emma without knowing how that worked, it's kind of fine but still they need to make the tutorial pop in either section

Final edit: I still don't understand the Queen of Hatred fight. She does so much damage, that I don't think I can just no-guard damage race. I burned through ranged pages for defense and she just keeps casting them, so attrition won't work. I saw her go into phase 2 once and she gained 300 hp so that seems like a guaranteed loss condition.

booksnake fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Nov 1, 2021

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

booksnake posted:

Beat Emma. Went to go do puppets. /Now/ I get a tutorial on what this yellow die does that Emma was already using. I feel like this is an oversight, and they should've just straight up locked you into doing puppets first. Edit: Beat puppets. Now Chesed is talking about Kali like Roland hadn't already met her, when he has, in my frame of continuity. My opinion on this busted signposting deepens. Edit2: Well, given that I managed to still beat Emma without knowing how that worked, it's kind of fine but still they need to make the tutorial pop in either section

Final edit: I still don't understand the Queen of Hatred fight. She does so much damage, that I don't think I can just no-guard damage race. I burned through ranged pages for defense and she just keeps casting them, so attrition won't work. I saw her go into phase 2 once and she gained 300 hp so that seems like a guaranteed loss condition.

putting her into phase 2 will basically doom the fight, yeah. You can kill her in phase 1

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I am so confused with what’s going on in the 2nd phase of the final phase of the Keter Realization. Can I get a guide and builds please? I bumbled through the hammer and nail part and now suddenly giant bird fists are pummeling me with +10 dice power?? I know you folks complained about randomness killing you but I’m not sure where that RNG is even coming from

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Lakbay posted:

I am so confused with what’s going on in the 2nd phase of the final phase of the Keter Realization. Can I get a guide and builds please? I bumbled through the hammer and nail part and now suddenly giant bird fists are pummeling me with +10 dice power?? I know you folks complained about randomness killing you but I’m not sure where that RNG is even coming from

They boost their dice power in response to getting hit, so rush them down one at a time.

SITB
Nov 3, 2012

Lakbay posted:

To add to lets hang out's point, Remorse inflicts power null that goes both ways on your nuggets. So you want to clash with those power null nuggets with the feathers.

Also, if you have the Purple Tear key page you can just switch decks and erase the guilt. Smoke + Slash stance PT is pretty good at dealing a lot of damage.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

Lakbay posted:

to add to the above post, use Purple Tear in Slash Stance, with Snake Slit, Ever Spinning Gearwheel, the smoke stagger and puffy brume passive from Smiling Faces, plus other general good stuff and light/card draw. With Nikolai's mark you can kill the adds in 1-2 turns each, and once the front 2 tentacles are dead the others are relatively harmless.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Tiny Myers posted:

I just picked this game up on Steam. Got a few baby questions

Hi sale buying buddy :wave:

I also have a newbie question. How do the EGO gifts work? I see the drop rate, but does work quality factor in at all? Is there a cap to how many gifts you can receive from one abnormality? I just spent 10 meltdown cycles trying to get glasses for the 3 who don't have them yet and nothing.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

booksnake posted:

strategically losing clashes becomes a somewhat important mechanic throughout the later portions of the game, so here's a hint: if you're going to lose a clash, it's best to do so with a block die, since block dice reduce damage from incoming attacks even when they don't win clash. there's a few good cards with lots of low power block dice from very early in the game that should serve well for this fight, particularly Struggle from finn's deck

also, keep in mind that her meter increases when she's targeted by the marked librarian with anything, so cool it with your attacks or use big single die cards on marked librarians

Arcvasti
Jun 12, 2019

Never trust a bird.

booksnake posted:

The key vs the Queen of Hatred is to use Valentin's Singular Strike passive and mostly fill your decks with strong single dice to deflect her ranged attacks. You'll also want a strong summation card to counter her laser: Scratch That! is 15-30 summation and has a x3 Strength multiplier, which is usually more then enough to beat it. You can win just fine if you cause her to transform, as long as you do it fairly early and not right when you're about to kill her. Having your designated villain have mainly weak defensive cards is one way to stop her from transforming, since that'll stop her from building up the pink gauge while also letting your villain survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

just got to the love town

it's been a long while, like years and years, that I got some serious nausea from a game

jesus christ