Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Sash! posted:

I'm trying to think of a WWII movie that isn't Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo where AIRPLANE GAS is a major plot point.

Dunkirk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sash! posted:

I'm trying to think of a WWII movie that isn't Thirty Seconds Over Tokyo where AIRPLANE GAS is a major plot point.

Memphis Bell, Tuskegee Airmen, the catch 22 amazon series

I dunno, fighters getting shot and their gas tanks getting emptied / bombers making long range missions etc is a pretty common thing??

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Yeah, it’s usually at least a minor plot beat for almost every fighter/bomber centric movie.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Heck, in Pearl Harbour it defines the ending.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

jng2058 posted:

Oh hey, don't forget "why the gently caress is the Resistance Fleet out of fuel when fuel's never been an issue in Star Wars before?" Also explained in the comic books. :rolleyes:

In addition to what's been mentioned, the Rebels crew definitely have a few fuel run episodes, including the one where they meet Mon Mothma

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Backtracking a little, but

Vinylshadow posted:

People were nitpicking the outline of the X-Wing used in the logo to try and place it

Sequel X-Wings have larger half-circle engines and those look like smaller full-circle like the OT ones

Arquinsiel posted:

This has come up in the various threads at least once per thread already, with the exact same path of pointing at the logo.

Did nobody bother checking the teaser where somebody very deliberately rendered a T-65 X-Wing and not a sequel one?

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Hazo posted:

Backtracking a little, but

Did nobody bother checking the teaser where somebody very deliberately rendered a T-65 X-Wing and not a sequel one?

I mean, the movie hasn't even started production, so the logo and that "teaser" would all just be thrown together with whatever they had available laying around to say, "Look, a Star Wars thing!". Unless you think the planes on the side are also going to factor in. The fact is, we have no idea until we get more information.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

thrawn527 posted:

I mean, the movie hasn't even started production, so the logo and that "teaser" would all just be thrown together with whatever they had available laying around to say, "Look, a Star Wars thing!". Unless you think the planes on the side are also going to factor in. The fact is, we have no idea until we get more information.

:shrug: You might be right, but Occam's Razor and all. I feel like if this was going to be set in the sequel era, it wouldn't be hard for Lucasfilm and Disney to pull the T-70 model from their assets to use for the teaser.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Finally

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Pfft, only two pieces of Beskar and an ice cream maker? I want to see the baby.

SolarFire2
Oct 16, 2001

"You're awefully cute, but unfortunately for you, you're made of meat." - Meat And Sarcasm Guy!
Remember Werner Herzog? He's back! In figurine form.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Arc Hammer posted:

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Arc Hammer posted:

He comes with the frog, the soup cup, and the ball from the gear shifter.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

I no longer want to see the baby

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Arc Hammer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfYBlBNreCY

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

I've been watching Rebels for the first time just to get the back story that'll show up in Ahsoka and whatever else.

Is the Resistance series good backstory for anything coming up, considering that it's in a different time period than most of the stuff that's on now? People have mentioned that it's not as good as the other animated shows, but I will probably end up watching it since I've burned through The Clone Wars and Rebels. Just curious if it can wait or if it would be helpful for any of the upcoming series.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Resistance is a very take it or leave it show that doesn't really do anything besides expand the conflict between the First Order and the Resistance a little bit. Rebels is smaller scale than Clone Wars and Resistance is downright miniscule in how much impact it has on anything outside of its own story.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Was it going somewhere and just got cancelled? Or was it just low effort work to keep the wheels turning?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

pik_d posted:

Was it going somewhere and just got cancelled? Or was it just low effort work to keep the wheels turning?

It only got 2 seasons and had a very long production process. The second season basically ran right into TLJ storywise. If it was insanely popular I'm sure it would have gotten more seasons but given the preproduction process on the third film was really hosed up its just as likely that they didnt want to lock themselves into a year+ production with so much stuff still up in the air.

I'd recommend watching it if only for the novelty of the gorgeous (imo) art style. I love the look of all the aliens and characters and how it is better able to convey speed compared to the rebels/clone wars look.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

pik_d posted:

I've been watching Rebels for the first time just to get the back story that'll show up in Ahsoka and whatever else.

Is the Resistance series good backstory for anything coming up, considering that it's in a different time period than most of the stuff that's on now? People have mentioned that it's not as good as the other animated shows, but I will probably end up watching it since I've burned through The Clone Wars and Rebels. Just curious if it can wait or if it would be helpful for any of the upcoming series.

Resistance is the one where, like all the other star wars cartoons, they started by aiming for the 7-12 crowd, got feedback that nope, its a bunch of 18-40 year olds watching; but this time they didn't adjust.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I doubt that there's much that will reference Resistance any time soon since there's not anything big coming out during the sequel era, and even Disney's EU seems pretty hazy on whether they're going to do much with that. I've heard that it's not great, never seen it, but here's a list of things that keep tempting me.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
The fireball in xwing is fun but not Meta yet

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo
Rise of the Resistance was very cool.

Probably not a good choice for my three year old daughter though. She's 103cm so she rode all the rides you can if you are over 102cm. Matterhorn, Cars, etc. She likes roller coasters but the hyperreality was too much. During the ride, I was able to affirm it was just pretend and she was safe. She is still convinced we went to space. She just knows that she was never in any real danger.

Great ride but lol at Disney keeping it under wraps. We had no idea it was that intense.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

pik_d posted:

No. It's entirely possible it will be referenced by something in the future, or become important, but as far as we know now, both in regards to shows that exist already and shows we know are coming, Resistance isn't backstory for anything. Watch it if you want, but you don't need to watch it for anything else, so you're good waiting a bit if there's something else you want to watch first.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

WAMPAS!

TOOKAS!

I wonder how many wars were kickstarted by the errant paws of a tooka

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it really makes me feel bad that i'm ten minutes into the star trek prodigy show and i can tell it's way over like an entire seasons worth of any filoni show budget wise

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

site posted:

it really makes me feel bad that i'm ten minutes into the star trek prodigy show and i can tell it's way over like an entire seasons worth of any filoni show budget wise

Didn’t Lucas pump like 1.5mil into each TCW episode on average? There’s no way CBS is matching that.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
watch it. it is honestly embarrassing how much better prodigy looks

site fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 31, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Didn’t Lucas pump like 1.5mil into each TCW episode on average? There’s no way CBS is matching that.
They spend over $8 million an episode on Star Trek Discovery

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Resistance might be the hardest I've ever bounced off of any Star Wars related property with maybe the exception of those Ewok Movies. It's just really really rough in parts. I know folks say it vaguely gets it together towards the end but it feels like such a dead end in so many ways.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The United States posted:

They spend over $8 million an episode on Star Trek Discovery

Discovery is a "real" live action Star Trek show and the show that site is talking about, Prodigy, is an animated show aimed at kids.
This is like comparing the budget of an episode of Clone Wars/Rebels/Resistance to an episode of The Mandalorian.

Anyway, since it's been brought up, is Prodigy any good? We've gotten screwed over in the UK again and I don't think it's on any services here, so I would have to put actual effort into pirating it if I wanted to watch it.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 31, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Veotax posted:

Anyway, since it's been brought up, is Prodigy any good?

It depends. Do you like eyeballs?

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

First episode was real promising, I thought.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Definitely promising, but it has this weird thing going where the lighting and environments look excellent but the animations have that TCW-S1 frame-y-ness/stiffness. A bit off-putting imo

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Oct 31, 2021

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Prodigy is good, I like that for a show aimed at kids they set up a lot of mystery without hitting you over the head with "we have got to solve this mystery?!?!"

Minor spoilers: what part of the galaxy are they in, we see Kazon and we hear him say he brings criminals from the Delta quandrant. How did the ship get there, who and what else are trying to get it, where did the protagonist come from, was he born on the prison world since no one recognizes his species, etc.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

swickles posted:

Prodigy is good, I like that for a show aimed at kids they set up a lot of mystery without hitting you over the head with "we have got to solve this mystery?!?!"

Minor spoilers: what part of the galaxy are they in, we see Kazon and we hear him say he brings criminals from the Delta quandrant. How did the ship get there, who and what else are trying to get it, where did the protagonist come from, was he born on the prison world since no one recognizes his species, etc.

Answer: The Window of Dreams that Dal keeps talking about was mentioned in season 7 of Voyager, so it's close to the Delta/Alpha quadrant border, nowhere near where Voyager started their journey. I'm not sure why there's all these species in this region of space, but the USS Protostar has trans warp capabilities as seen on one of the LCARS displays, so that explains some of it.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

I checked out the trailer for Prodigy and it certainly looks good, but I wouldn't say its leaps and bounds better than late season clone wars/bad batch. Clone Wars has a very established aesthetic art style so they work within that style to make the show as beautiful as they can.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
watching something like prodigy really accentuates how clone wars/rebels aesthetic is flat, low detail textures and minimal light source usage

of course, it would seem like sw is kinda dead animation wise for now so who knows what it might look like in the future, if they ever make a new show

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

site posted:

watching something like prodigy really accentuates how clone wars/rebels aesthetic is flat, low detail textures and minimal light source usage

of course, it would seem like sw is kinda dead animation wise for now so who knows what it might look like in the future, if they ever make a new show

What? We're getting more Dad Batch

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-bad-batch-season-2

Not to mention the Visions anime stuff and the kids creatures thing

pik_d fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 31, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
oh yeah i forgot they confirmed bb s2, that's a my bad