Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
I am reminded that at least one sourcebook (the original 'Game of Armored Combat'?) hyped up the Wolf's Dragoons as having an intelligence network on par with ComStar. It was called WolfNet or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
WolfNet was basically the Clan Watch But Actually Good. Which makes sense, since Wolf's Dragoons were a joint project by (apparently all of the only) competent pre-invasion members of the Clan Watch.

I wouldn't say they're on par with ComStar, but they're really good at collecting information about military units and they're probably best in show at actually assessing those units' effective combat strength. Which again makes sense, because that was what the Wolf Dragoons went to the Inner Sphere to learn.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Sep 13, 2021

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

I couldn't remember, so I erred on the side of it being an acronym.

I will say the LIC probably has everyone else beat in terms of sheer creativity. They've worked really hard remain "the good guys" in the eyes of the Lyran public despite being Loki's parent organization.

Being able to notch a win like "we assassinated a Coordinator" probably helps a lot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
House Davion did the same and all it earned them was a warcrime. :haw:

And a multi-year respite in the war they were badly losing while House Kurita distracted themselves trying to sword an entire planet to death, allowing House Davion to eventually fight back to something resembling a draw.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 13, 2021

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

I appreciate all that, and it definitely makes sense with how SAFE gets presented in the most recent novel.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The different intelligence agencies all have pretty wildly different goals, too.

Take the ISF: The Draconis Combine's Internal Security Force. Their chief goal isn't espionage, but keeping the Combine secure and maintaining order by keeping everything in its "proper place" (i.e. keeping the peasantry at an "appropriate-level" of oppressed depending on their station). Which also, coincidentally, involves keeping the peasantry an appropriate-level of rewarded for their service.

Which is why the ISF has a propaganda wing, Voice of the Dragon Productions, which makes movies. And not just Samurai movies, they also make big dumb summer blockbusters with martial arts and BattleMechs. They even go so far as to include DEST as the baddies in a fair number of their action movies because it downplays how dangerous DEST really is while reinforcing the idea that you don't gently caress with DEST and driving up recruitment all in one go.

Compared to that, an agency like SAFE--which exists primarily to keep tabs on potential terrorist threats (internal and external) while not getting in the way of the nobility--winds up looking pretty tame.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 13, 2021

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Hunting Season was pretty good at depicting SAFE as competent on their home turf and the Maskirova as terrifying black ops agents provocateur, which fits pretty well I think.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

While I'm disappointed in the specific time that Hunting Season was set, I am really glad it exists. I think the FWL has a lot of interesting hooks right now and it definitely feels like an area ripe for campaign adventure.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011
Ran a few intro games for the group that was interested in a battletech campaign set in early Clan invasion, just a 2v2 mech intro tech match consisting of a Wolverine 6R and their choice of either a Griffin 1N or or Shadow Hawk 2H for each prospective player with all pilots at 3/4 and they all hated it :pseudo:

Good news is they all want to switch to Alpha Strike which while I have not played looks solid.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Torturing newbies with a SHD-2H is just wrong.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Taerkar posted:

Torturing newbies with a SHD-2H is just wrong.

If you are going to play as a no name merc outfit in 3050 you're going to see them around. Besides, I ended up with it in every game but one. It was more of an issue of the game playing slower than they remembered with the prospect of having 4 to 6 players with me controlling Opfor for each engagement along with wanting to make extensive use of non Mech assets I can understand their apprehension as far a time expenditure is concerned. In person company on company fights are easy to get excited for but actually playing them out can be a huge slog so if that's the scale they want to play at I'll support trialing Alpha Strike instead of classic BT.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!

Defiance Industries posted:

While I'm disappointed in the specific time that Hunting Season was set, I am really glad it exists. I think the FWL has a lot of interesting hooks right now and it definitely feels like an area ripe for campaign adventure.

House Marik was easily the strongest novels to come out of the Dark Age series, with 1 or 2 exceptions (looking at the Fortress Republic duology and SYD)

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Finally got my wave 2 box today. I am very happy with what I received, it was worth the nearly 2 year long wait.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Some minor conversion fun: since I already had a Catapult, I converted the second into a K2 for my Kuritans.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Nice work. 3D printed bits for the PPCs?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

General Battuta posted:

The lead uh…designer I think? on HBS Battletech was a trans woman (and I think maybe the first person to call out JKR as a terf) so I’m sure she played a big role in that game getting a lot of things right.

Also a goon, was active in the battletech thread till goons gooned poo poo up.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

DrPop posted:

Nice work. 3D printed bits for the PPCs?

Yeah, I got them off Thingiverse. Got some spare bits for my Locust and Griffin, too, but I'm not sure I'll use them.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Rhymenoserous posted:

Also a goon, was active in the battletech thread till goons gooned poo poo up.

The worst part of SA.

Contingency
Jun 2, 2007

MURDERER

Contingency posted:

Has anyone had any luck negotiating with QM Logistics about damaged product? They offered a $5 credit on the CGL webstore for a damaged model, and I'd rather they replace or allow me to exchange the box. Haven't gotten a response in almost two weeks.

If anyone is in a similar boat, I was able to negotiate a model replacement--just tell them you prefer a model replacement and refuse the $5 CGL credit. I haven't received it yet, but sounds like they're parting out boxes to replace individual models.

Also, Barnes and Noble has a forcepack with the Annihilator sculpt:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/battletech-forcepack-wolfs-dragoons-assault-star-bn-exclusive-catalyst-game-labs/1139270744

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

Contingency posted:

If anyone is in a similar boat, I was able to negotiate a model replacement--just tell them you prefer a model replacement and refuse the $5 CGL credit. I haven't received it yet, but sounds like they're parting out boxes to replace individual models.

Also, Barnes and Noble has a forcepack with the Annihilator sculpt:
https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/battletech-forcepack-wolfs-dragoons-assault-star-bn-exclusive-catalyst-game-labs/1139270744

Oh god it looks like a cartoon and someone just hit it with a mallet

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Barnes and Noble has the box back in stock if you don't want to pay $300+ for it.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

The annihilator has always made me feel comfortable. Just like me, you can tell that it used to be an okay shape but it's really quit taking care of itself and is now just carrying a shitload of weight around the middle.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

PoptartsNinja posted:

The new models are also (slowly) getting metal reprints made at Iron Wind Metals.

I was in town and stopped by Iron Wind Metals yesterday morning. Got a tour, met the moldmakers and other workers, it was really cool. I wish I had a shopping list but I didn't prepare very well... left with several bags of stuff ($60/lb for anything I could find) but probably nothing terribly interesting. I'm a poor and usually get 3D printed plastic mechs so these are my first metal mechs since the nineties. I have to figure out how to put them together and paint them now...

I plan on going back soon (my brother lives in the area and I visit probably once a year, maybe more) so hopefully I'll be better prepared next time.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

CornHolio posted:

I was in town and stopped by Iron Wind Metals yesterday morning. Got a tour, met the moldmakers and other workers, it was really cool. I wish I had a shopping list but I didn't prepare very well... left with several bags of stuff ($60/lb for anything I could find) but probably nothing terribly interesting. I'm a poor and usually get 3D printed plastic mechs so these are my first metal mechs since the nineties. I have to figure out how to put them together and paint them now...

I plan on going back soon (my brother lives in the area and I visit probably once a year, maybe more) so hopefully I'll be better prepared next time.

Ugh so jealous.

I've got a massive collection of 3D printed mechs, but nothing beats metal if you want to alter anything. Iron winds reproducing the new style mechs is such good news.

Crazy Joe Wilson
Jul 4, 2007

Justifiably Mad!
Is Tamar Uprising out yet for everyone?

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
No, like Shattered Fortress a few years back, they released a limited number of hardcopies for GenCon but the main release (including PDF) has yet to happen.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
Actually, 6E Shadowrun was MASSIVELY that a couple years back, like three-six months later for the PDF other hardcopies.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

I am extremely proud to be part of the 8-10% of US backers who have not received their stuff and will likely be missing stuff when I get it o7

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Here is my current Battletech collection. So many duplicates now thanks to the Kickstarter, but that is okay! How the gently caress do I find the time and energy to paint all of this though? :psyduck:

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Generally, I start by getting drunk and putting on some chill music.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Generally, I start by getting drunk and putting on some chill music.

I like how you think. Going to probably just dunk these in Citadel Contrast paints to start with. Those work really well for Battletech miniatures.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
its me who just realized that the joke behind the PPC drink is that it's almost entirely white (man-made) lightning.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I finally got box 2 of 2 of my shipment, specifically ONLY box 2 of 2, which contained a pack of die-cut standees.

:sigh:

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Finally got my stuff (US). I opted for getting everything in a single wave 2 shipment. I think some of the pilot decks were messed up, but otherwise I believe I got everything I ordered.

It feels good to have a nice, non-printed Black Lanner sculpt after waiting for about 2.5 years. Or several decades

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Apparently they doubled up the Mercenaries of Inner Sphere II deck for multiple people?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Yeah I got one in both shipments. So if anybody wants one...

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Yeah I got one in both shipments. So if anybody wants one...

Same here, I don't know why I have two of them now.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Deck I isn't real

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Today I discovered Mechwarrior: Destiny aaaaaaaaand it's making me want to run a campaign for it, but set in 3132 instead of 3025 or 3050. Yes I want to go nuts with conversions of goofy IndustrialMechs and stuff.

also I have never GM'd a game before except once as a teenager, half-seriously with a pre-made D&D box set and my cousins who were very curious about it. I have a few player candidates in mind, all of who I'm very good friends with, but they would form a pretty motley crew demographics-wise and it would involve mixing friend groups...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Der Waffle Mous posted:

its me who just realized that the joke behind the PPC drink is that it's almost entirely white (man-made) lightning.

I think one of the worst moments in battletech besides Aleric Wolfs parentage was the description of that drink and what was used to cut it. Ugh.