Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should troll Fancy Pelosi be allowed to stay?
This poll is closed.
Yes 160 32.92%
No 326 67.08%
Total: 486 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pigz
Jul 12, 2004

Nearly as overlooked as Joe Mauer
The Brandon thing is closer to Republicans wearing band aids to the rnc to make fun of Kerry . An embarrassing display by children not a facist call to arms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

InsertPotPun posted:

see i always think i'm being clear, that's my problem:

this is, yet another, "tiki torch parade problem" in that no, i can not prove that the person who supports trump is a fascist or a racist or a white nationalist, i'm sure some trump supporters are fine people so we will have to agree to disagree #notallantivaxprotrumpshitheads

You don't need to prove what's in another person's heart, you just need to exercise a basic sense of proportionality and understand that a statement like "let's go brandon" isn't even conveying support for Trump and also isn't nearly as ideologically loaded as something like "MAGA," so maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be directly equating it with a mob organized by overt white nationalists on behalf of a confederate monument that deliberately evoked Klan imagery while shouting explicit white nationalist slogans. Because doing so undermines your arguments and makes you seem, y'know, borderline deranged.

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG

papa horny michael posted:

A lady I know was just fired as a rape counselor in portland, oregon for not abiding by the vaccination mandate. She's a long time democrat, and doesn't understand how Biden could have done this. Mayor Ted Wheeler just announced he won't be enforcing the mandate against police. She's distraught that all of the police who routinely derided her job, and the people she counseled, will keep their jobs. lol

She never should have trusted the fascist Ted Wheeler, nor the fascist Biden to not shield their fascist troops. What a loser!
I see a real easy solution, here.

Also what the gently caress is this post, is it some unsourced Twitter?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
I am struck dumb at the idea that people in this thread are sincerely equating the cringy I'm-not-saying-gently caress joke with fascist iconography

get a goddamn sense of proportion in your lives, Christ

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

I eagerly await the bulleted list from the True Leftists of D&D of which other Right Wing Dogwhistles are ok to use because they own the libs hard enough.

If you don't like Joe Biden, just say it, stop giving air to nazis because their endless rage and 24/7 workshopping of ways to demonize their enemies vomited up something you thought was funny because it happened to target someone you also think of as an enemy.

BitcoinRockefeller
May 11, 2003

God gave me my money.

Hair Elf

NutShellBill posted:

"Let's go, Brandon" makes it sound like the user has just reached an age of rebellion, and want to show off to their friends; but they're also afraid that they'll get grounded if they use the real words.

It started from people saying gently caress Joe Biden.

Sharkie
Feb 4, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Sanguinia posted:

I eagerly await the bulleted list from the True Leftists of D&D of which other Right Wing Dogwhistles are ok to use because they own the libs hard enough.

If you don't like Joe Biden, just say it, stop giving air to nazis because their endless rage and 24/7 workshopping of ways to demonize their enemies vomited up something you thought was funny because it happened to target someone you also think of as an enemy.

I think the people saying Lets Go Brandon is a BIG Deal! And deserves lots of attention! are giving air to it, for what it's worth. Also "demonize their enemies" what? What does that even mean here lol. Once again, it's nice as a minority to listen to people tell me I should react to the gently caress Joe Biden meme like it's someone calling me a slur.

pigz posted:

The Brandon thing is closer to Republicans wearing band aids to the rnc to make fun of Kerry . An embarrassing display by children not a facist call to arms.

Yeah pretty much but now I guess people have to respond to it because it's super fascist to disrespect America's military honors and awards.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Sanguinia posted:

We've been saying gently caress Joe Biden since before it was cool.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

A big flaming stink posted:

wait what.

Is the airline trying to play chicken with the feds or something

Sure are! https://www.cnbc.com/2021/10/21/american-southwest-ceos-vow-not-to-fire-workers-over-federal-vaccine-mandate-.html

lmao I love everyone ignoring the actual reasons this guy probably said this to instead argue about which one of them's a Nazi. Love this place.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Willa Rogers posted:

We've been saying gently caress Joe Biden since before it was cool.

And I respect you for it Willa. o7

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

Willa Rogers posted:

Let's Go Brandon is a hilarious troll, and overreactions like yours only prove its efficacy.

I'm not sure it's a hilarious troll so much as it is people scared to say "gently caress Joe Biden". Like they could just say "gently caress Joe Biden" which is their right and I don't think anything would happen to them. I'm probably late with this.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

As pointed out, "let's go brandon" originated with people explicitly saying they didn't like Joe Biden, and I don't think anyone on the left is particularly shy about continuing to express their pre-existing disdain for Joe Biden. At the same time, there's zero reason for any leftist to take liberal demands/special pleading about messaging and being nice to their politicians seriously, ever. I've yet to see leftists busting out "let's go brandon" in earnest, and the real objections have come to people suggesting "gently caress Joe Biden" must necessarily be read as an expression of Turbo Racism and nazi sympathies, because that is, y'know, completely ridiculous (with genuinely offensive liberal subtext given Biden's actual record). And that very ridiculousness and the accompanying meltdowns are in fact quite funny, and get ever funnier the more and more people insist that no, this almost completely anodyne expression of disdain for a terrible politician with very obvious liberal analogues during the previous administration is in fact a Very Serious Racist Dogwhistle, basically the Next Charlottesville.

e:

Ghosts! posted:

I'm not sure it's a hilarious troll so much as it is people scared to say "gently caress Joe Biden". Like they could just say "gently caress Joe Biden" which is their right and I don't think anything would happen to them. I'm probably late with this.

They did say "gently caress Joe Biden," there's no fear involved whatsoever, the actual subtext is more media criticism and culture war grievance mongering about conservative "oppression" (rather that the racism that's being asserted), as well as juvenile naughtiness at "sneaking" it into inappropriate contexts, and then you get a nice feedback loop of overreaction/conservative doubling down as it successfully "triggers the libs" in ways that "gently caress Joe Biden" doesn't.

LGD fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 31, 2021

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

LGD posted:

You don't need to prove what's in another person's heart, you just need to exercise a basic sense of proportionality and understand that a statement like "let's go brandon" isn't even conveying support for Trump and also isn't nearly as ideologically loaded as something like "MAGA," so maybe, just maybe, you shouldn't be directly equating it with a mob organized by overt white nationalists on behalf of a confederate monument that deliberately evoked Klan imagery while shouting explicit white nationalist slogans. Because doing so undermines your arguments and makes you seem, y'know, borderline deranged.

I agree with most of what you say here, but "Let's go Brandon" is most definitely an expression of explicit support for Trump. It has nothing to do with Biden other than he embodies opposition to Trump.

It will be co-opted, ironically or not, to have other meanings, but its original use is about Biden only as a means to signal support for Trump.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

LGD posted:

I've yet to see leftists busting out "let's go brandon" seriously, the serious objections have come to people suggesting "gently caress Joe Biden" must necessarily be read as an expression of Turbo Racism and nazi sympathies

For the record, I have never and will never object to anyone saying gently caress Joe Biden. Leftists have plenty of reason to be pissed off at him. I'm plenty pissed off at him about certain issues. But once things start getting chanted by masses of white supremacist neo-nazis at Trump rallies, they're expressions of turbo racism and nazi sympathies by definition. Not repeating them just because they're funny or whatever takes no effort.

And yes, I know it started off as those same neo-nazi's literally just chanting "gently caress Joe Biden," before it evolved into the Brandon thing because of the newspaper editor being a decorum golem. That doesn't change the fact that the memetic form has become a Right Wing dog whistle and people should treat it that way. They're not chanting it because they have the same problems with Joe Biden you do, they're chanting it because they want their fascist strongman to retake the government via military force and murder you.

Ghosts!
Jan 6, 2004

LGD posted:

They did say "gently caress Joe Biden," there's no fear involved whatsoever, the actual subtext is more media criticism and culture war grievance mongering about conservative "oppression" (rather that the racism that's being asserted), as well as juvenile naughtiness at "sneaking" it into inappropriate contexts, and then you get a nice feedback loop of overreaction as it successfully "triggers the libs" in ways that "gently caress Joe Biden" doesn't.

Are you asserting that all of the people that are now using "lets go brandon" did say "gently caress joe biden"? I mean I am sure that is their intent and meaning, but the point seems to be the use of coded words so they don't have to say "gently caress joe biden". I totally agree that it is juvenile naughtiness, but to me it seems like they are scared to utter the words out loud for others to see. Imagine the airline pilot or the florida representative saying "gently caress joe biden" vs "lets go brandon".

To be clear, I don't care if people say gently caress joe biden. gently caress joe biden for his many failures.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

pthighs posted:

I agree with most of what you say here, but "Let's go Brandon" is most definitely an expression of explicit support for Trump. It has nothing to do with Biden other than he embodies opposition to Trump.

It will be co-opted, ironically or not, to have other meanings, but its original use is about Biden only as a means to signal support for Trump.

How so? Obviously the vast majority of (if not all) people chanting "gently caress Joe Biden" at a NASCAR event are in fact Trump voters, but I'm unaware "gently caress Joe Biden" as a statement/chant has an origin as a particular expression of loyalty to Trump, and lacks any animus towards Joe Biden (even if only as an avatar of the Democratic party/the libs). Indeed, its very genericity and specificity would seem to make that difficult/impossible? If there's an actual history here I'd genuinely like to know.

Obviously there's a conversation to be had about how much of modern GOP identity is tied up in loyalty to Trump, and one could argue from the non-specificity of "gently caress Joe Biden," but we're also >9 months into the Biden administration and "gently caress Trump" was a perfectly popular statement that I never interpreted primarily as an expression of support for Hillary or Joe Biden rather than animus towards Trump himself.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Not everyone on the right who's going to say gently caress Joe Biden is a neo-nazi. Again southwest is in a big dumb anti-vax fight. I don't think that inherently makes you a neo nazi to be anti-vax and be mad at Joe Biden about it. Just dumb and stupid and probably loud and whiny and scared of a bunch of poo poo. This is like legitimately saying everyone who yelled gently caress Trump was an anarchist. Like yeah, anarchists yelled it. So did Hillary supporting moms in pink hats.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

Sanguinia posted:

For the record, I have never and will never object to anyone saying gently caress Joe Biden. Leftists have plenty of reason to be pissed off at him. I'm plenty pissed off at him about certain issues. But once things start getting chanted by masses of white supremacist neo-nazis at Trump rallies, they're expressions of turbo racism and nazi sympathies by definition. Not repeating them just because they're funny or whatever takes no effort.

And yes, I know it started off as those same neo-nazi's literally just chanting "gently caress Joe Biden," before it evolved into the Brandon thing because of the newspaper editor being a decorum golem. That doesn't change the fact that the memetic form has become a Right Wing dog whistle and people should treat it that way. They're not chanting it because they have the same problems with Joe Biden you do, they're chanting it because they want their fascist strongman to retake the government via military force and murder you.

It's hard to take the dire warnings about "white supremacist neo-nazis" seriously when that term is being used to encompass people at a NASCAR race, because that basically amounts to an assertion that all GOP-aligned voters are in fact klansmen and Democratic preferences in messaging must be adhered to at all times. I know right-wingers aren't my friends, doesn't mean I need to take that sort of hyperbolic rhetoric seriously (whether sincere or intentionally being instrumentally used for partisan purposes). Or that I really want to engage in circular and internally inconsistent arguments about the extent to which GOP-aligned voters are necessarily white supremacist, not because I don't think that they are (they are), but because y'know, Joe Biden is the Democratic president.

I'll also say that part of the reason "Let's Go Brandon" succeeds as a troll is because it is a dogwhistle used by the right wing, but not all dog whistles are created equal or convey the same things, which is why saying people "should treat it that way" is counterproductive, because what's being conveyed actually has very little ideological baggage and is a widely shared sentiment, so reacting to it the same way as someone dropping dogwhistles conveying allegiance to actual white nationalist ideology just makes you (rightly!) look unreasonable/unserious. (And that's where you'll get your real overlap with serious white nationalists dropping the "Let's Go Brandon!"'s because the overreaction gives them cover.)

Ghosts! posted:

Are you asserting that all of the people that are now using "lets go brandon" did say "gently caress joe biden"? I mean I am sure that is their intent and meaning, but the point seems to be the use of coded words so they don't have to say "gently caress joe biden". I totally agree that it is juvenile naughtiness, but to me it seems like they are scared to utter the words out loud for others to see. Imagine the airline pilot or the florida representative saying "gently caress joe biden" vs "lets go brandon".

To be clear, I don't care if people say gently caress joe biden. gently caress joe biden for his many failures.

Oh I doubt it would have ever occured to the pilot to drop a casual "gently caress Joe Biden" at the end of his address, because it's such an obviously crass and wildly unprofessional expression of partisan sentiment in a work context. At the same time, dropping "let's go brandon" is a "fun" and "of the moment" way to express that sentiment in what he (in a fit of wild dumbassery) thought was a sufficiently disguised manner to get away with, and again juvenile naughtiness. At the same time I don't think that really indicates that the pilot is somehow remotely "afraid" to say "gently caress Joe Biden" in other contexts. Similarly, while I'm sure there's crossover with old people who do the "bless your heart" thing, my experience with memes (and political shibboleths) over the last couple of decades really makes me doubt all of the people saying "let's go brandon!" have any real "fear" about saying "gently caress Joe Biden." There's no need to say "gently caress Joe Biden" because they already did, and people not in on the joke not knowing that are less important than conservatives who get it and libs who get "triggered." Similarly, using it as code doesn't necessarily convey "fear" - there are lots of contexts where people want to get messages past censorship but nothing is actually at stake (think school yearbooks, sports jumbotrons, vanity license plates, curated comment sections, etc.).

LGD fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Oct 31, 2021

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
There is one thing that the Far Left and the Far Right agree on, and it's that making Liberals mad is really funny, so they will both think "Let's go Brandon!" is funny. And it's definitely making those people made, so it will only grow from here on out. Why did that reporter have to pretend she was hearing something completely different?

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

I was saying let's go Brandon

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

LGD posted:

just like "lock her up" wasn't support for trump
or the hunter biden laptop.
because this time the mindless chant used by trump supporters is a sincere desire to...have intercourse with biden based on their honest opinion of his presidency so far.
like how everyone was doing the tomahawk chop because of their sincere support of their chosen baseball team.
these are all people you're giving the benefit of the doubt to.

i think it's a safer policy to not give them the benefit of the doubt and heavily frown on it's use in society instead of just shrugging it off because you don't feel it effects you. i personally would not like to be under the control of a police officer with a "let's go, brandon" tattoo, it would make me very uncomfortable. i know those are just my feelings though so they don't matter to the argument, to me it's just factual that i would be uncomfortable if a senator tweeted out a picture of someone being dropped from a helicopter

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

InsertPotPun posted:

because this time the mindless chant used by trump supporters is a sincere desire to...have intercourse with biden based on their honest opinion of his presidency so far.
like how everyone was doing the tomahawk chop because of their sincere support of their chosen baseball team.

i think it's a safer policy to not give them the benefit of the doubt and heavily frown on it's use in society instead of just shrugging it off because you don't feel it effects you. i personally would not like to be under the control of a police officer with a "let's go, brandon" tattoo, it would make me very uncomfortable. i know those are just my feelings though so they don't matter to the argument, to me it's just factual that i would be uncomfortable if a senator tweeted out a picture of someone being dropped from a helicopter

Ah, you're doing a Fancy Pelosi-esque bit. Carry on then.

e: Though I guess to properly adhere to D&D rules on the assumption of good faith, I should instead say that this post indicates I should up my previous assessment a bit from "borderline." Happily, my resulting course of action remains unchanged.

LGD fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 31, 2021

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

InsertPotPun posted:

Did this happen?

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
ok let's compromise, we'll promise to not execute anyone for using fascist code words unless we're really sure they're fascists by looking at other things.
this avoids our crazy stupid fear of living in a world where there is a blanket "ok" to use fascist code supported by trump children and your completely rational fear that cancel culture will catch up to and destroy all the well meaning and good people shouting fascist slogans.

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
"Let's go Brandon" has become a thing because the media by far and large runs cover for Biden, and this entire thing was easily avoidable. Critiquing Joe Biden doesn't make somebody a fascist. And are you seriously trying to argue that the "Hunter Biden laptop" wasn't real or. . .?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Gumball Gumption posted:

Not everyone on the right who's going to say gently caress Joe Biden is a neo-nazi. Again southwest is in a big dumb anti-vax fight. I don't think that inherently makes you a neo nazi to be anti-vax and be mad at Joe Biden about it. Just dumb and stupid and probably loud and whiny and scared of a bunch of poo poo. This is like legitimately saying everyone who yelled gently caress Trump was an anarchist. Like yeah, anarchists yelled it. So did Hillary supporting moms in pink hats.

Yeah, regardless of your position on whether supporting a politician who has white-supremacist and fascistic beliefs makes that person themselves a white supremacist as a matter of course, calling literally everyone who is right-wing or voted for Trump a nazi is going to make anyone but extremely tuned-in politics junkies think you’re hysterical; they are just going to respond/think that no, they aren’t nazis or neo-nazis, because those are two specific groups of monstrous people, not a general term for extremely right wing. There are certainly arguments you can make that what’s relevant is who they’re supporting, and thus that they are nazis in effect, but that isn’t how most people are going to think about it. It’s also very strange to call even Trump himself a nazi, for the same reasons. He can be described as a white supremacist, a racist, an authoritarian demagogue, a fascist, a transphobe and homophobe, and, generally vile; those same terms most likely apply to devoted trump fans. Really even to call every open white supremacist a nazi is a bizarre flattening that’s going to be taken as wrong on its face and hyperbolic. Are the KKK nazis? They share many many beliefs, but they are still different groups. Perhaps you would say that they are effectively nazis because they want the same things, but that doesn’t make them nazis, because what they are are KKK members. People can be accurately described as horrible without lumping them all into a group which has the cultural image of “the worst and most evil bad guys ever, absolute pinnacle of evil, villains in decades of classic film and tons of other media,” which is going to cause people to write you off; without saying that some rear end in a top hat who owns a line of ski-doo dealerships voted for Trump because he’s in the income bracket where Republican fiscal policy results in him paying lower taxes, or more easily acquiring new properties, is literally a nazi. That guy (and the more fervent trump supporter who loves and agrees with everything he says) is still a massive shithead, and I’d argue that that level of selfishness and callous disregard of all the other things republicans like to do (or even just loudly champion whether they pull off what they want) is legitimately evil in its effects, but being evil and being a nazi are just… not the same thing.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

Yeah, regardless of your position on whether supporting a politician who has white-supremacist and fascistic beliefs makes that person themselves a white supremacist as a matter of course, calling literally everyone who is right-wing or voted for Trump a nazi is going to make anyone but extremely tuned-in politics junkies think you’re hysterical
i say we treat "let's go brandon" in the same way as we treat that pepe frog or "fren" or "pede": assume the person using it is a chud. that's it, that doesn't seem "hysterical" to me. worst case scenario people who use the phrase will be seen as a slightly different type of rear end in a top hat. best case scenario fascists can't hide behind "they just don't like biden" because, again, i assume some of the people using it are honest to god giving their heartfelt and insightful commentary on the administration. #notalltrumpsupporters

like how not all anti-maskers are trump supporters, don't listen to them about the mask thing, but honestly? let's hear them out on other social issues because, hey: #notalltrumpsupporters they might have some really good ideas on marriage and race in america. #openyourhearttotrump

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Peter Daou Zen posted:

"Let's go Brandon" has become a thing because the media by far and large runs cover for Biden,

Like on the Afghan withdrawal

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rust Martialis posted:

Like on the Afghan withdrawal

Biden gets constant cover and is tread with kid gloves in most regards, but your Afghanistan withdrawal example and how the media hated it shows how awful U.S based media is.

I'm talking more about stuff like when Biden was running for office and it was close to election time, news outlets like CNN made it a big deal to tell everybody that "Hunter's Laptop" wasn't real and was Russian Propaganda and that we shouldn't even be curious as to what's on it or even look at it, at all. OR, they pretended like it didn't even exist at all and we know that they would be talking about a "Don Jr laptop" forever and ever.

The "Lets go Brandon" isn't going to go away.

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

InsertPotPun posted:

ok let's compromise, we'll promise to not execute anyone for using fascist code words unless we're really sure they're fascists by looking at other things.
this avoids our crazy stupid fear of living in a world where there is a blanket "ok" to use fascist code supported by trump children and your completely rational fear that cancel culture will catch up to and destroy all the well meaning and good people shouting fascist slogans.

Do you think words get infested with fascism cooties and you can catch those cooties if you then use those words?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
I think one thing some people are missing here is that a right wing dogwhistle saying "gently caress Joe Biden" is not just saying "gently caress Joe Biden."

That would be, in general, fine. Although I'd like to point out when I was a cashier I wouldn't have gotten away with saying that to one random customer who told the boss, let alone a whole plane full.

It's saying "I know this right wing dogwhistle, from frequenting places where they are generally used or at least listening to people who do, and I still choose to use it even though I most likely know about at least some of the other right wing dogwhistles that say things much more reactionary than "gently caress Joe Biden." Also gently caress Joe Biden." It communicates not just the obvious meaning, but also group affiliation with people who use right wing dogwhistles--which includes a hell of a lot of fascists even if you DON'T think that's every Republican after Trump.

I'd say it's like okay signs and Pepe, but at least those had previous uses people might be using/attached to. This is pretty much just a dogwhistle and nothing but.

Also, only somewhat related, but gently caress Joe Biden. He loving sucks.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Peter Daou Zen posted:

"Let's go Brandon" has become a thing because the media by far and large runs cover for Biden, and this entire thing was easily avoidable. Critiquing Joe Biden doesn't make somebody a fascist. And are you seriously trying to argue that the "Hunter Biden laptop" wasn't real or. . .?
"Let's Go Brandon" is a meme. It's just a loving meme. There's no conspiracy behind it or some media cover that led to it. The reporter who you claim was "running cover for Biden" was a loving sports reporter trying to hide the fact that the crowd was saying a bad word behind him.

It's the same as chuds calling themselves Deplorables. They saw a thing in the media that they could use to mark themselves as part of an in-group and ran with it. It does not need to have some lengthy explanation or spawn a multiple-page derail about what it really means and how "avoidable" it was.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Booourns posted:

I was saying let's go Brandon

:pusheen:

gently caress Joe Brandon (this is dialectics)

Peter Daou Zen
Apr 6, 2021

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

"Let's Go Brandon" is a meme. It's just a loving meme. There's no conspiracy behind it or some media cover that led to it. The reporter who you claim was "running cover for Biden" was a loving sports reporter trying to hide the fact that the crowd was saying a bad word behind him.

It's the same as chuds calling themselves Deplorables. They saw a thing in the media that they could use to mark themselves as part of an in-group and ran with it. It does not need to have some lengthy explanation or spawn a multiple-page derail about what it really means and how "avoidable" it was.

That particular time was just another example on the pile of the media pretending like Biden is Doing a Very good Job, just in a different way.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"the media" here defined as "a single sports reporter live on the air"
she heard people chanting "gently caress joe biden" and decided (or remembered her orders) that joe biden must be protected even to the cost of her credibility
with that sort of razor sharp instincts her talents are wasted reporting on...car racing??

edit: it occurs to me that the whole reason she tried to cover up the dirty word was because of puritanical laws created and supported by the type of person who would chant "gently caress joe biden" at a racecar event., who endlessly complained about eminem saying mean things about trump on tv

InsertPotPun fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Oct 31, 2021

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Jizz Festival posted:

Do you think words get infested with fascism cooties and you can catch those cooties if you then use those words?

I mean, if a term I don't really need to use is likely to make fascists and their allies think "Oh, one of us!" hearing it, or people wary of fascists and their allies think "Oh, one of them," I'll probably use a different term. If my preferred user name is already taken on a site I'm not gonna add 1488 after it. Does that count as fearing cooties? I could use other random number strings. Like I could say "gently caress Joe Biden" in ways that don't sound like "gently caress him for being a leftist tyrant."

Also the last time I looked into the story, Hunter Biden by all appearances had a hacked cloud account where the juiciest contents were basically revenge porn. Guiliani and his backers badly wanted said revenge porn all over the news but rightly figured that news outlets would be hesitant since that kind of stuff about a random private citizen could get them Gawkered. However, a story with an elaborate chain of events that led to a legitimately purchased laptop in Rudy's possession had legal cover. He was really bad at making it plausible and hosed up enough details to even make a lot of Trump-friendly media get cold feet about it at the most critical moments. So the pics of Hunter's dong and crack pipe are real yeah.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Failed Imagineer posted:

:pusheen:

gently caress Joe Brandon (this is dialectics)

Go gently caress Biden!

wait

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

Go gently caress Biden!

wait

You might get some takers for Hunter.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
^^^^^ Only if I can get some of that art sale $$$ ^^^^^

It was really annoying and tiring hearing the constant right wing accusations of democrats and whatever they support being communist-stalinist-marxist-(insert word here)ists word jumbles, now I get to experience such joy here with nazi-neo nazi-fascist-white nationist-whatever else you want to label a meme.

I mean, I get it, it's not like there isn't a foundation to something being co-opted into a coded meaning (three finger OK sign, etc), but instantly reacting to something that caught on because a dumbass announcer on TV tried to cover up a anti-Biden chant by stating those chanting are ready to fill showers up with Jews and Zyklon B is...well it's something.

On the flipside of that, I think it was this week that jury selection for the Charlottesville neo-nazi rally was finalized so gently caress this timeline, you think what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pilots should be required to say “gently caress joe biden” on takeoff and again on landing.