Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

spouse posted:

The only ones I usually insta-disbelieve are cuckolding stories, since probably 5 times across iterations of this thread I've found "hahah, i got em" posts later from people linking to the article and claiming to have made it up to troll people. There's a huge undercurrent of racist cuckoldry trolling coming from 4chan because I guess they think they're "owning" people by... posting about the (largely false) inadequacies of white men (that stem from their own insecurities)?

They're trying to radicalize sexless dorks against women and minorities. Why see women as people when your relationship can only last as long as it takes for your partner to encounter one of Obama's breakdancing bodyguards from that famous SA post?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Alchenar posted:

Thanks for this, not just for the laugh but because when we hear about traditions like "x must insist on paying for the meal" we very rarely hear about the nuanced set of expectations and norms behind the tradition that make it work.

In my family and their extended circle of friends there are very specific mathematical rules for how many dishes/beverages/amount of soups/vegetarian dishes etc. to ensure literally everyone is taken care of appropriately*. If someone pulled the stunt mentioned in this story in my families hometown you could expect literally every single dinner involving that cousin until their tragic death as a never dated spinster would involve reminding them and their parents.

*Caliber of hosting situation has different rules, obv. Alcohol is basically the calculus to foods linear algebra and Im not doing a ted talk on those rules.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

What famous SA post? I have not seen that one.

Also,

WIBTA if I reported a family friend who outed my pregnancy to her place of work?

quote:

I (20F) recently found out that I’m pregnant, which came as a surprise because I’m on bc. I made an appointment with an OB that’s close to me with high ratings to confirm the pregnancy, and when I walked in I was immediately concerned because the woman behind the desk is a friend of my mom’s. They’re not super close, I hadn’t seen her in years, but they’ve known each other since high school and I know they sort of keep in touch. I didn’t feel ready to tell anyone other than my bf and obviously dr about the baby, so I was freaking out a little, but my bf assured me that she wouldn’t be able to say anything to my mom about the baby without my consent.

When I got home my mom was waiting for me because she already knew about the baby. Apparently her friend had texted to congratulate her before I could even make it home. Everything is going to be okay and my mom is being supportive, but honestly I’m pissed at this lady and I want to report her to the OB. My family is supportive of the baby, but if she had opened her big mouth to someone with a different kind of family, the outcome could have been really bad. My bf agrees with me but thinks it’s kinda Karen-ish, on the other hand my mom thinks her friend crossed a few lines, but to report her and potentially put her employment at risk would be petty and an rear end in a top hat move. I think mom’s friend is an rear end in a top hat, and a potentially dangerous one at that. WIBTA for reporting her big mouth to her employer?

Tl;dr: the receptionist/office manager at my OB office, who is a family friend, told my mom about my pregnancy, now I want to know WIBTA for reporting her to her employers.

ETA: it’s been asked a few times, so adding that I’m in the US.

I have spent my entire life trying very hard *not* to get people pregnant, so I have a limited scope on this one, happy to hear other opinions.

Reddit is up in arms about how issa HIPAA violation, as they always do. I would think, can't you just call this lady up and tell her she's a dumb rear end in a top hat for ruining your pregnancy announcement, that your mom didn't know, it wasn't her right to tell, and if you wanted to, you could get her fired in an instant and you want a sincere apology and a fatass bridal shower gift and then call it good?

She's totally in her right to pursue a complaint if she wants, I work with PHI and I would never share any of it, I get uncomfortable the few times I've come across someone I know in my work, and I'm careful to read as little as possible, but like... I dunno, feels like you could solve this one with a swift backhand without the rings.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

spouse posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3790452&pagenumber=385&perpage=40&userid=0#post508102689

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Thank you for sharing that :drat: :obama:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

spouse posted:

She's totally in her right to pursue a complaint if she wants, I work with PHI and I would never share any of it, I get uncomfortable the few times I've come across someone I know in my work, and I'm careful to read as little as possible, but like... I dunno, feels like you could solve this one with a swift backhand without the rings.

Nah, I'm quite strong on 'at will employment' being an abomination and workers having security and protections and generally treating people generously but there are some jobs where if you can't keep your mouth shut then you need to be sacked immediately before you ruin someone else's life. She fired a bullet and by pure luck it didn't hit someone considering an abortion with a hardover religious family.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

spouse posted:

Also,

WIBTA if I reported a family friend who outed my pregnancy to her place of work?

I have spent my entire life trying very hard *not* to get people pregnant, so I have a limited scope on this one, happy to hear other opinions.

Reddit is up in arms about how issa HIPAA violation, as they always do. I would think, can't you just call this lady up and tell her she's a dumb rear end in a top hat for ruining your pregnancy announcement, that your mom didn't know, it wasn't her right to tell, and if you wanted to, you could get her fired in an instant and you want a sincere apology and a fatass bridal shower gift and then call it good?

I disagree, dumbass receptionist's "honest mistake" could have ruined this girls life; in other circumstances they could have got someone killed (what-ifs be damned, what if she'd been cheating and had a jealous/violent partner? What if she wanted to abort but family were pro life?) Telling family about someone's pregnancy is a HUGE DEAL and there's a bloody good reason some women keep it to themselves.

Health worker confidentiality violations are like drunk driving, there are rules against them for very good reasons, they can ruin lives, and just because nothing bad happened *this time* doesn't mean you should let that poo poo slide.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
r/relationships: In retrospect I wish I kept the ice cream.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

spouse posted:

Also,

No this is an actual no poo poo HIPAA violation and fully deserves to be reported. It’s super dangerous to reveal medical info like that, and if she’s doing it this time she’s going to do it again. Furthermore, I believe there’s liability for the practice as a whole if the OBs office does nothing about it, so you nip it at this level immediately.

Everyone has the right to medical privacy and to control who knows when. The receptionist violated this, and should suffer repercussions as is standard.

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

teen witch posted:

No this is an actual no poo poo HIPAA violation and fully deserves to be reported. It’s super dangerous to reveal medical info like that, and if she’s doing it this time she’s going to do it again. Furthermore, I believe there’s liability for the practice as a whole if the OBs office does nothing about it, so you nip it at this level immediately.

Everyone has the right to medical privacy and to control who knows when. The receptionist violated this, and should suffer repercussions as is standard.

you're right but it might be worse than "she's probably gonna do it again", there's a very good chance that this isn't the first time she's done this

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
posting this because the comments make me want a Raytheon knife missile to the Reddit servers

My sister faked a high school diploma to get into a CNA program and was accepted

quote:

My sister is 41 and never finished high school or got her GED. Despite this, she decided she wanted to become a CNA for better job prospects.

I already knew her faking the diploma was a bad idea and could get her into trouble, but she was actually accepted into the program and is almost finished with it at this point. She said she attended a high school out of state that has since been closed down, so I imagine no one bothered to do any further digging and just took the forged diploma at face value.

My question is mainly, in what ways could this potentially come back to bite her legally? It was bad enough that she’s been accepted, but I assume if they find out it was faked after she’s (potentially) started working as a CNA, the ramifications would be more serious than if it were just faked to get into school.

I’m not sure though! I’m just concerned for her; she won’t listen to anyone when we tell her it’s a bad idea. Maybe if I actually understand the legal issues behind it I can make a better argument?

The one reasonable response has -17 downvotes.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

It's not like she saw the mom at the church pot luck the next weekend and just couldn't stop staring until mom asked her what was up either, just straight up texted her from the receptionist desk at the office with the file in her hand.

Dongsturm
Feb 17, 2012

spouse posted:

Also,

The people who do this already know the rules and are determined to break them. There's no cutesy "backhand" that will change their mind about being allowed to blab a patients personal information. Toss them out the door and put a note in their permanent record, because they will never ever stop doing this.

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

Tarkus posted:

I forget the name of the show but it involves houses that are supposedly haunted. The owner will complain of weird poo poo and the show will hire some psychic and a mechanical guy. Invariably the mechanical guy will find a squeaky door and a drafty window solving the mystery but the owner of the house will choose to believe the psychic's story of murder or whatever.

8one6 posted:

Paranormal Home Inspectors

Jenny Nicholson has a great half hour video on that show if you're interested in learning more about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wG9m-eYNiM

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

Fair points on the preggo responses. I figured with it being mom's friend, wanted pregnancy, perfect storm blah blah, but I wouldn't want this happening to anyone else either.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

The fact that the receptionist did it so incredibly quickly suggests that she didn't even think twice about whether or not to do it - she's definitely done stuff like this before.

HazCat
May 4, 2009

spouse posted:

Fair points on the preggo responses. I figured with it being mom's friend, wanted pregnancy, perfect storm blah blah, but I wouldn't want this happening to anyone else either.

OP got pregnant despite being on birth control, so not really a 'wanted pregnancy' by the normal definition.

E: actually, on second thought I think it technically is, but I think it's more complicated than if she was actively planning to become pregnant, or was just open to it happening vs. actively trying to prevent it.

HazCat fucked around with this message at 10:02 on Oct 31, 2021

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
That receptionist needs to be lit on fire. HIPAA is incredi-loving-bly serious business, and that she broke it this quickly? No. No second chances. No explanations. Go right to the nukes.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Mx. posted:

My (33m) wife (30f) thinks our house is haunted and wants to sell it and move

just pay a guy on craigslist $20 to pretend to exorcise the house, she seems dumb enough to fall for that

Divorce. If she's spooped by the house, kick the wife out. Problem solved. Imagine marrying someone, having two kids, and never doing the due diligence of finding out whether they're so medically stupid they believe in loving ghosts and are worried about being harmed by them.

While it is the classic comedy option, you really can't indulge behavior like this as it just causes idiots to demand ever more expensive monster sprays or candles that smell like Gwyneth Paltrow's gooch.

Funktastic posted:

AITA for being annoyed when my nephew always orders the most expensive food on the menu?

"I have a nail in my head. No I will not pull the nail out of my head. It is very normal in Asia to have a nail in your head."

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

These stories always end up being carbon monoxide leaks causing severe hallucinations.

Carbon monoxide unfortunately affects normal people just as much as it does stupid people. If that were at play, OP and the kids would also be seeing strange things. I'm kind of inclined to believe occasionally his kids move the remote, they're still finding established places for stuff after moving into a new house, etc versus him ignoring CO symptoms. If he hasn't replaced the batteries in the carbon monoxide detector lately, by all means it's worth checking, but it seems to be a pretty clear case of chronic fecal encephalopathy for the wife.

cumshitter posted:

Engineers are truly the worst people to ever live. I don't know if the profession attracts broken people or if it's the education that shatters their mind. Either way they think they're smart like doctors, who are also stupid but at least have the excuse of having to work for years on a schedule designed by people who took cocaine all day and then heroine to fall alseep every night when you could buy miracle speedball tonics everywhere.

Every engineer I have ever had to deal with has been a uniquely terrible client in their own way.

Idiot chuds are drawn to engineering. If you knew any of the people who later became engineers when they were younger, they were always Like That. Doctors are occasionally good within their field, but are famously Bad With Money. If you look into your state's monthly newsletter of which doctors lost their licenses, it's usually not to do with malpractice, but embezzling from their practices so they can invest in crypto or dog heelies or soup tubes.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

In my experience, good OBGYN clinics go hard on HIPAA violations, because statistically pregnancy is the most dangerous time of a woman's life, and not because of the pregnancy itself.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

AngryRobotsInc posted:

In my experience, good OBGYN clinics go hard on HIPAA violations, because statistically pregnancy is the most dangerous time of a woman's life, and not because of the pregnancy itself.

Then I hope this is a good one. She needs to be fired, preferably into the sun.

AITA for not wanting to eat off my friend’s half-clean dishes?

quote:

I (23F) went over to my friend’s place for dinner, and while she was cooking in the kitchen for like half an hour, she was going off on a tangent about random different things, and she mentioned at some point that she hand-washed the dishes today instead of using her dish washer.

I thought I heard wrong and actually asked her to repeat to make sure. I started looking at the dishes we would be eating off sitting on the table, knowing they weren’t truly clean, and I started getting nauseas thinking of eating off half-dirty dishes and all the gross pathogens probably on them. I started thinking of her cleaning them by hand with a filthy rag instead of using the sterile machine, and I got so grossed out I felt sick and didn’t want to eat the dinner anymore.

I made up a good excuse and said I had to leave and couldn’t stay for dinner. She seemed offended like I didn’t like her cooking. I’m sure the cooking was great, but I couldn’t stand to eat off unhygienic plates with unclean silverware. AITA for leaving?
And here I thought "eh, the water will get it" was just restricted to r/relationships men when it came to washing their assholes in the shower.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dishwashing machines aren't sterile.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
OP's being a pathological clean freak.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

That sounds like some OCD cray. I don't have cleanliness related obsessions, but that sounds right at my usual level of "If [x], then [semi-related or entirely unrelated batshit y]" level of crazy.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Alchenar posted:

Dishwashing machines aren't sterile.

No, but if you're using your knives to eat and not perform surgery, sanitizing them is adequate.

If you have a working dishwasher, you should use it. It gets your dishes cleaner than hand washing them and uses a ton less water.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

cumshitter posted:

Engineers are truly the worst people to ever live. I don't know if the profession attracts broken people or if it's the education that shatters their mind. Either way they think they're smart like doctors, who are also stupid but at least have the excuse of having to work for years on a schedule designed by people who took cocaine all day and then heroine to fall alseep every night when you could buy miracle speedball tonics everywhere.

Every engineer I have ever had to deal with has been a uniquely terrible client in their own way.

It's very attractive to people who can't handle uncertainty and need the one true answer from an authority, because that's what engineering offers. It actually crosses cultural boundaries, and a disproportionate number of Islamic extremists are engineers as well.

And of course it pays well which has a well noted power to turn relatively normal people into ghouls.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

teen witch posted:

posting this because the comments make me want a Raytheon knife missile to the Reddit servers

My sister faked a high school diploma to get into a CNA program and was accepted

What's so bad about these responses? What was the "reasonable" response?

comforthawk
Apr 15, 2018

teen witch posted:

the high school I went to offered various like, vocational job training seals you could get on your diploma, and several different licensing paths--I got my CNA license while still enrolled in high school. we got on the job training at different assisted living facilities and hospitals in the area during our class time, and we even got shuttled by bus to take our licensing exam during the school day. our schedule was shuffled so that we essentially had our afternoons for the offsite training. it was a great opportunity; a lot of the people who completed this program went on to pursue being LPNs and RNs, and having stable work that paid marginally higher than retail and food service helped a ton with like, working through school. this was the very rural south, so not a ton of opportunities.

if a freshly 18 year old kid is qualified to be a CNA prior to graduating, I think the lady with a couple more decades of lived experience is probably going to be fine too.

[I only ever used my education and license to be my grandmother's end of life carer bc going thru the program caused me to realize that working as a CNA is horrible backbreaking work and I did not want to do that as a job.]

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
The reason I hate engineers so much as clients is because I have one engineer client who tracks his own performance and makes me check it against his math, despite me working for a bog standard investment advisor who is GIPS compliant. GIPS is short for Global Investment Performance Standards, which is what every company uses to calculate investment returns. Long story short, you basically do the math to account for deposits and withdrawals in a managed investment account to accurately calculate performance.

And what does he send me every quarter? An Excel spreadsheet. Not even an Excel spreadsheet with formulas or references in it, just an Excel spreadsheet where he copies numbers into it with no calculations or functions or anything. God I hate him.

Engineers are basically socially incompetent specialists who point at a blank spreadsheet while screaming "Do you see!? Do you see!?" Red Dragon style and they don't even realize the actual torture is trying to understand their genius.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

you, an idiot: as long as it’s dry and there’s no food gunk it’s fine. soap does a good job of removing bacteria, and whatever bacteria is left won’t grow in a dry environment

me, a genius: dishes and silverware were never truly clean until commercial dishwashers were invented

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The main sanitising action in dishwashers is heat. They typically run hotter than a human hand-washing the dishes would be able to stand (even with gloves).

Proper hand washing is sufficient, but it is not as good since it lacks that sanitising step. OTOH it has a QA step where you review each dish to see if it's properly clean, which a dishwasher lacks.
(If you want to you can add a sanitising step by rinsing dishes in dilute bleach, but that's more effort than most people want to go to)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I just throw away dishes after every meal because Im not some filthy plebeian

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

I pour food directly from the pan into my mouth, no fuss, no muss.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Olewithmilk posted:

How do you wash the pan?

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

Olewithmilk posted:

i used to do this with mac and cheese in college

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

The comments from dishwashing guy are mildly infuriating. I'll just quote him without the things he's replying to - it tells a story on its own.

quote:

Every American family requests a house with a dishwasher and is grossed out if shown a house without one.

quote:

I’m a military kid and middle class, so your assumptions are wrong.

quote:

You literally do have to be upper class to be “privileged.” The word is pretty stupid to begin with, but that’s what it means.

quote:

Whatever, I see know need to argue since I’ve lived in the US my whole life and see how things are here.

quote:

Yet, all the poor people I know have dishwashers since we’re in the US. They generally come with the house.

quote:

Lol, don’t be bitter that I’m more worldly than you. All I’ve done is state facts proving your assumptions wrong.

Computer viking fucked around with this message at 12:04 on Oct 31, 2021

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

wow we've been out gooned by that OP

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

I’ve been without a washer for long enough that I’m just used to hand washing. I’ve been seeing a lady recently, first time I’m over there her sink is full. I look around, get some soap and an old scrubbie.

She’s all what the heck. I’m like, she has no dish towels and no drying rack. Eventually she directs me to the dish washer. It’s full, I help put everything away, load it back up with dirty dishes, then have more left over so I keep scrubbing. Next time I’m over there she has actual sponges sitting around

Dishwasher are good but they’re not a necessity ???????

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Invisible Clergy posted:

If you have a working dishwasher, you should use it. It gets your dishes cleaner than hand washing them and uses a ton less water.

Handwashing dishes is nothing like not wiping your rear end you complete loon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Lone Badger posted:

The main sanitising action in dishwashers is heat. They typically run hotter than a human hand-washing the dishes would be able to stand (even with gloves).

Proper hand washing is sufficient, but it is not as good since it lacks that sanitising step. OTOH it has a QA step where you review each dish to see if it's properly clean, which a dishwasher lacks.
(If you want to you can add a sanitising step by rinsing dishes in dilute bleach, but that's more effort than most people want to go to)

:stonk: