Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Dad did his in late 2013 with the rustoleum brand kit from the usual big box stores. It's held up very good but it is a heated and cooled garage in Wisconsin so there isn't massive temperature swings. That may be an option if you'd like to save some money and do it yourself.

He borrowed a large enclosed trailer for a week I think and moved everything from the garage into that while he did it. How well it works and lasts comes down to how well everything is prepped.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Suburban Dad posted:

Just for a point of reference, I had my ~450 sq ft garage done for $1-1.5k at my old house in the midwest. They ground the concrete, and put down the color and flakes, I don't believe there was any top coat. It came out pretty decent but it did start to pull up in one spot after a couple years where one of my wife's car tires was parked on frequently. Not grippy tires (A/S and snows in winter) so not sure what happened with it or why. Was only there for 3-4 years after getting it done and it held up well otherwise.

It's just monstrously hard to get a coating to adhere to used concrete. Oil seeps in, road grime gets smashed in with time and pressure, etc.

I've wanted an epoxy floor in the garage for the 15 years that we've lived here, but in that time, I've seen 3 friends use DIY systems and they have all pulled up to some degree. That would drive me nuts and I'd have to throw more money at it.

A professional, knowledgeable company is the most important component of the job, imo. They'll be familiar with the climate in your area, and know what's best for the condition of your concrete.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Yup, older house too so not sure how bad it was. Had asbestos tile in there previously that I had removed. The last rear end in a top hat just epoxied over that before selling the house. Was fun finding 12x12 square cracks start to form. Using a jack broke the tile up in places. :can:

I tried to fill in some low spots and spalling myself with some type of leveler or sealer garage journal recommended but I didn't have enough of it. Otherwise I let them do the prep since as you said it isn't easy on not fresh stuff.

Only other thing I'll say is don't let brake cleaner get on it. Dulled the finish a bit. Welp that's my story.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Just to add my dumbass anecdote to the garage floor chat.
The one and only time I did any sort of garage floor coating, with the Rustoleum brand, from ~ 16-17 years ago, it also mentioned in the instructions that new concrete should be allowed to cure for at least 6 months. Something something moisture still in it or some poo poo.
Don't know if thats changed since then, but it sounds like the OP doesn't have that issue.

Some Guy From NY
Dec 11, 2007
My contractor that did my garage floor used this,

H&C Colortop solvent based solid color concrete sealer. (sold by sherwin williams)

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/homeowners/products/hc-colortop-solventbased-solid-color-concrete-sealer

He swears by this. So far, 2 months in, no complaints. This is the "good stuff" because its not water based. Definitely need to be used in a well ventilated area when applying. It's tintable to pretty much any color.

for prep, he used a concrete grinder first, then acid etched the floor. washed it down, let it dry, then applied 3 coats of this. floor looks great, so far no damage from my cars tires.

Pro tip, don't use a light color for your garage floor. Looks great when clean and easy to see when you drop a bolt or screw, but shows dirt ridiculously easy.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody else have a snack station?

My wife’s old college fridge, some sodas (and beers, not shown), and a rotating selection of snacks.

I just moved an old fridge into my garage! Mostly used for cold drinks and microwave dinners. A godsend for when the job takes a while longer than planned.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I scavenged a cabinet and bought the cheapest countertop available for my garage beers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

StormDrain posted:

I scavenged a cabinet and bought the cheapest countertop available for my garage beers.

Beautiful. Every garage I've ever had has had a collection of random cabinets collected from jobs or curbs.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.

Advent Horizon posted:

Anybody else have a snack station?

My wife’s old college fridge, some sodas (and beers, not shown), and a rotating selection of snacks.

my 1936/7 hotpoint does the trick - pretty much the same, It's got some beers (when I'm in the mood, gave up drinking anything more than a beer about 7/8 years ago) but its perfect for water/soda/snacks, altho I dont really like having any food in the garage. I've been having a mild Chuck E. Cheese issue over the summer and I don't try to give them any excuses to get in to the garage.

In other news: anyone have a slot drain/french drain/sump in front of your garage? If LA ever gets rain again, I really don't want to deal with flooding and what a better fall project than trying to figure out how I'm going to cut a slot in front of the garage to prevent.

Long story short, there has never been a flooding issue in this garage since new, but since the house was added on to extensively 8-10 years ago, I have issues whenever we get substantial rain which has been maybe 3-4 times since the addons were done, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe this coming year we may have issue, its been a bit too long since. I know this photo doesnt really describe the space too well, but I don't really have too much space on the clear side (behind me in the photo) for a big sump, I'm thinking about going down maybe 1/2' and doing a deep bucket with a french drain style bottom and a pump that shoots the water out to the grass and front yard, about 100' to my left in the photo. I'm planning to make the hose detachable so that it can be installed only in case of emergency

So I kinda want to start thinking about some ideas that arent going to cost a fortune.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I wonder how a big box store floor epoxy kit would work in conjunction with a couple of linoleum "rugs" positioned where the wheels and tires end up? A tweed-jacket-with-elbow-patches floor that is 99% epoxy except for the parts most likely to peel up due to tire-epoxy interaction.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Slugworth posted:

Beautiful. Every garage I've ever had has had a collection of random cabinets collected from jobs or curbs.

I at least got this upper and lower from one source, but I installed rhe upper upside down to change the way it swings.

LobsterboyX posted:

my 1936/7 hotpoint does the trick - pretty much the same, It's got some beers (when I'm in the mood, gave up drinking anything more than a beer about 7/8 years ago) but its perfect for water/soda/snacks, altho I dont really like having any food in the garage. I've been having a mild Chuck E. Cheese issue over the summer and I don't try to give them any excuses to get in to the garage.

In other news: anyone have a slot drain/french drain/sump in front of your garage? If LA ever gets rain again, I really don't want to deal with flooding and what a better fall project than trying to figure out how I'm going to cut a slot in front of the garage to prevent.

Long story short, there has never been a flooding issue in this garage since new, but since the house was added on to extensively 8-10 years ago, I have issues whenever we get substantial rain which has been maybe 3-4 times since the addons were done, and I'm keeping my fingers crossed that maybe this coming year we may have issue, its been a bit too long since. I know this photo doesnt really describe the space too well, but I don't really have too much space on the clear side (behind me in the photo) for a big sump, I'm thinking about going down maybe 1/2' and doing a deep bucket with a french drain style bottom and a pump that shoots the water out to the grass and front yard, about 100' to my left in the photo. I'm planning to make the hose detachable so that it can be installed only in case of emergency

So I kinda want to start thinking about some ideas that arent going to cost a fortune.

Is that the lowest point in your property? If not, I would try to route the drain line to the lowest point and let it be passive. If you can daylight it somewhere and the water can just flow out, it'll be a lot more reliable.

Alternatively I would feed it to a sump pit and Plumb the pump to somewhere permanently. Expect that you'll get flooding while you're on vacation.

The install is painful but not complicated. Rent a saw and cut the asphalt, place a trench in there, pour it back in with concrete. Lots more digging for the pipe. I put one in and used solid pipe until I was away from the house and perforated after that so most of the water just seeped back into the soil, then daylighted out if that was also saturated.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
LBX, in your planning stage you should identify the source of water. Perhaps instead of a trench you just need to collect a downspout or two. Since you mentioned that the house was added on, I'm thinking this is more runoff that would have been absorbed into the earth, its being collected by new roofs a dropped off at your garage stoop.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I have no idea how I missed this thread.

We bought our first house in June this year after a long time looking. A garage was one of my must haves, or at the very least a space where I could eventually build one. The rental we lived in for a few years had a tiny old garage that was barely 1 stall and had a dirt floor.

We ended up with a 1950s mid century ranch in Seattle with an attached single stall but it's pretty large for a single, much deeper. Our home is post and beam construction with exposed beams in the vaulted ceiling and it carries through to into our garage. The ceiling height adds some useful storage space plus. The tricky part will be how I use the space to maximize usability. The water heater is out the. I don't really plan to park our car in there, maybe occasionally work on it but mostly it's a space to work on my bike, store hiking gear, and work on house stuff. The shelves are currently pretty awful so I'll take them down and put up something better. I'm leaving towards metal shelving or tall cabinets. The photos don't really show the height very well. Ideally I'll coat the floors, run more electrical, and I definitely need a new door opener.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I finally did something I really wanted to do for a long time. I hate most garage parking indicators because they all seem to be dependent on parking the same car in the same place all the time, and they use cues from the front of the car. Like the laser beams that you shine on your dash, or the sensors that bounce off the front bumper, or the mini speed bumps, etc. I used to always use the racquetball on a string method but everyone played with it and would knock it off the string or mess up the adjustment, or it'd be in my way while working or cleaning. And of course the next problem, memorizing how it worked for different cars.

My problem is that my household now has 5 different cars that will be in the garage from time to time, in either left or right spots. I want to know when they're in the door, and I work in front of the cars so I want them as close to the door as possible without getting scratched. I also don't want to memorize different signals for when a car is parked in a different spot than it usually is.

So I took one of the ceiling mount lasers and made a defacto single beam light curtain. I mounted the laser to a shelf on one side:

It's at bumper height (for all the cars I drive), and has a selector for one or both beams. I'm using one beam because I'm running it on batteries for the time being, until I can get a power cord over to it. Plus, I really don't need a pair of beams spaced 3 inches apart. The motion detector kicks it on when the door opens.

Then I bought a cheap swiveling cube speaker mount, and a plastic mirror. I made a bracket from some scrap shelf bracket material and made a reflector:

So it shines a laser spot high on the front garage wall that I can see from either car. As soon as the light comes on, I know I'm in far enough that the door won't hit me, with like a 4 inch buffer. And if either the laser or the mirror get bumped, the light won't be visible. And as long as both cars are in far enough, it'll be on no matter which car I'm parking. I really loving like it and I'm prouder than I should be.

Here's the poo poo I bought if anyone's interested in copying it. Cost just under $40.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0835R1QWZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OCGC7G8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004JJC4N4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
For those who may not frequent the chat thread..

:siren: AI:SS reminder :siren:

We are fast approaching the deadline for sign ups! Please sign up now! It's the most fun you can have with dicks in a box!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3981364

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

LloydDobler posted:

So it shines a laser spot high on the front garage wall that I can see from either car. As soon as the light comes on, I know I'm in far enough that the door won't hit me, with like a 4 inch buffer. And if either the laser or the mirror get bumped, the light won't be visible. And as long as both cars are in far enough, it'll be on no matter which car I'm parking. I really loving like it and I'm prouder than I should be.
I don't park my cars in the garage but I can absolutely appreciate this project. That's cool as hell.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

LloydDobler posted:

Sharks with frickin' laser beams

This sounds awesome, but I'm having a hard time visualizing. Any chance I could convince you to make a video demo?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

It took me a minute the first time I read it but I'm pretty sure it's this (top down view):

When the car isn't far enough in, the bumper blocks the laser. When it pulls far enough in, the laser bounces from the mirror to the front of the garage and lights up the wall in a spot visible to the driver.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

That's it. My garage is a little too embarassingly messy to do a video right now tho.

ryanrs
Jul 12, 2011

No one with a clean garage would have invented laser-guided car tetris.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
will the cross braces of a 1938 garage support the weight of a 1932 ford frame? Asking for a friend*

*me

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

What size are they and what sort of shape do they *appear* to be in?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

What does the frame weight and do you have any way to add supporting pillars or some kind near where you are lifting? Or at least a way to spread the load over several rafters?

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

I hung a 25 pound bike from the rafters of a garage that was built in 1926, hope this helps :v:

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Yeah the answer to that question is going to WILDLY vary from "yes because a craftsman built this thing and its very overdesigned" to "holy poo poo oh my god no what are you doing they didn't have codes back then"

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

StormDrain posted:

Rent a saw and cut the asphalt,

I’ve actually done a decent amount of asphalt cutting in my driveway with just a skil saw and masonry blade. It’s not fast but it worked a drat sight better than it had any right to.

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
wow, I said that more in jest than anything else. The fact of the matter is that I'm dumb and I can't say no to a deal. I looked at the garage and there really is no way to fit a frame up there with all the other crap I have up there already ... soooo I have an outdoor shop with an overhang out back and it will probably fit there with the belly tanks and other bullshit I've collected.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
Got the lathe up and running! Still some work to do, but it does turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pBA4hdy8eY

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

LobsterboyX posted:

will the cross braces of a 1938 garage support the weight of a 1932 ford frame? Asking for a friend*
*me

How wide is the garage? If it is a two-car garage with no center support I would definitely lean to "no".

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Any suggestings for a 20A electric heater? My garage has a dedicated 40A circuit for one with a 20A NEMA plug in the ceiling, was looking at this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/KING-4000-Watt-240-Volt-Electric-Portable-Fixed-Mount-Shop-Space-Heater-PSH2440TB/307678973 but I wanted something a bit higher end.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Can't recommend a specific one, but I went over to a friends garage a few years back and he had a couple of those infrared heaters permanently mounted overhead in his garage, and I must admit they did a better job than I expected.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Voltage posted:

Any suggestings for a 20A electric heater? My garage has a dedicated 40A circuit for one with a 20A NEMA plug in the ceiling, was looking at this one: https://www.homedepot.com/p/KING-4000-Watt-240-Volt-Electric-Portable-Fixed-Mount-Shop-Space-Heater-PSH2440TB/307678973 but I wanted something a bit higher end.

Hire a plumber to run natural gas into the garage and get one of those ceiling-mounted gas heaters.

Failing that, a propane heater and a carbon monoxide detector.

Third option, if heated doesn't necessarily mean warm: a mini-split with a heat pump.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Voltage posted:

I've got a 5700 watt King : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000PSFRTG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's on a 30 amp circuit, with matching outlet, and I think it is close to 30A at it's maximum. It is configured, though, so you can lower its output and, in turn, lower the draw.

It can keep my 3 bay garage at 70* with a 0* outside temperature.

PBCrunch posted:

Hire a plumber to run natural gas into the garage and get one of those ceiling-mounted gas heaters.

This is the best option, I just didn't want to pony up the money for a gas line extension.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
The community I live in doesn't allow gas unless I get a giant propane tank, which I do not want to do, so I need electric - I may just wire in a 30A outlet so I can do the 5000+ watt, its a pretty massive 4 car garage - I'm planning on doing a big update to it in the spring, I'll post some before pics shortly.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Voltage posted:

The community I live in doesn't allow gas unless I get a giant propane tank, which I do not want to do, so I need electric - I may just wire in a 30A outlet so I can do the 5000+ watt, its a pretty massive 4 car garage - I'm planning on doing a big update to it in the spring, I'll post some before pics shortly.

Don't forget to insulate.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

What size ‘giant’ tank are we talking about here, and what’s your price per kwh?

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Similar topic, are there any smaller natgas garage heaters I should look at? Currently have a 5000W 240V ceiling mount, which does a decent job of keeping the garage at 45-50° even in the depths on MN winter, but I do have a gas stub-out and 120v/15a circuit dedicated for a gas heater. I just feel like even 30k BTU is overkill for a fully insulated, 80% tuck-under 750sqft garage. Plus the smaller the better, has to be ceiling mount though.

If 30k is the smallest practical heater, whatever brand has the quietest and shortest height would be ideal.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I have a Modine Hot Dawg 45000 BTU and it's fairly small and compact, according to their data sheet they make a 30K as well. The 45K does my 32x26' triple quite well. The biggest issue is all the heat loss through the garage doors. You can insulate the walls and ceiling as well as you like but overhead doors can only get so good.

https://modine.worksmartsuite.com/PORTAL/io_modules/IOGETIMAGE.php?type=stream&filename=6-114.pdf

The 30k appears to be similar physical size to the 45k.

The 2 big names, around here at least, seem to be modine and reznor. I haven't heard anything bad about either but when I bought mine, Modine was made in the USA and Reznor was off shore. For the smallish residential sizes at least. Not idea if that matters to you or is even accurate now.

Remember, there is more to it than running a gas stub. They electrical isn't rocket science but you do need to vent it. Either through the wall or ceiling/roof. Personally, I found that more intimidating to do properly than anything else and I had my home builder do it.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Oct 31, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And if you're looking to minimize height there are inline type units as well. I think that's what one of our AI goons put in their new addition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ionn
Jan 23, 2004

Din morsa.
Grimey Drawer

afen posted:

Got the lathe up and running! Still some work to do, but it does turn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pBA4hdy8eY

Oooh nice! I have the very same model. About twice as much lathe as I have any business operating, but it sure gets it done.