Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Love how, like the first xcom and diablo, the players' actions only led to failure and now the sequel is about the consequences of that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I saw a portrait of the Ancestor in one of the Academy Shrines.

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS
Jester actually rules in this game so far. Low damage but both his attacks move him around and inflict combo, which is super potent.

The action costing on strength seems a little weird so far by the way. Some stuff like the jester's battle ballad has a move on it, but others like invigorating vapors (give strength to someone for 1 action) are not costed well since you... could just use that action to attack twice.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

it's weird that occultist completely blows as a healer in this game. In DD1 the balance on Wyrd reconstruction was that it could give insane heals that were like, 10x better than anyone else's, but could also whiff and heal basically nothing and cause bleed. In DD2, Wyrd Reconstruction can still whiff and heal nothing and can still cause bleed, but the ceiling for it is the same as all the other heals. And it has limited uses now. Occultist is still fine as a debuff man but you can't use him as a healer at all. Which means that, since Vestal doesn't exist, you absolutely need a plague doctor in your party, all the time, forever.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

Out of combat regen makes healing in battle not that necessary anymore, I feel, especially if you bring classes with self-healing. I've run without PD a couple of times and didn't miss her healing that much.

Occultist is also a pretty solid DPS now. Chaotic Offering + Burning Stars looks like a meme, but it's comparable to what a HWM would be dishing out after a Take Aim.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

blizzardvizard posted:

Out of combat regen makes healing in battle not that necessary anymore, I feel, especially if you bring classes with self-healing. I've run without PD a couple of times and didn't miss her healing that much.

Occultist is also a pretty solid DPS now. Chaotic Offering + Burning Stars looks like a meme, but it's comparable to what a HWM would be dishing out after a Take Aim.

Yeah, occultist isn't bad, he just can't heal.

Healing in combat is absolutely necessary, though. You can get away with having like, Occultist and Runaway, maybe, since Runaway could cover the big fuckups, but this isn't really a game where you can afford to have people die often. Indiscriminate Science and Battlefield medicine are more miles ahead of all the other healing abilities, though. Battlefield Medicine actually clears DOTs and Indiscriminate Science can be like, a 70% heal that also clears debuffs.

cock hero flux fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 29, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Lmao there's a positive quirk that gives you -10 stress when you hit Deaths Door. I got it on my Hellion it's fantastic.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I might have missed a tutorial somewhere, but what does it mean when you get a to a fork in the road and the different routes are highlighted blue or yellow?

I know those colors correspond to buffs/penalties or buffs/gains elsewhere in the UI, but I don't know what they mean for the route choices.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Blue roads are more likely to have one of those barricades that start a fight. These are also usually easier than your normal Resistance point fight that you see on the map.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Lmao there's a positive quirk that gives you -10 stress when you hit Deaths Door. I got it on my Hellion it's fantastic.

there's also one that just gives you -1 stress per turn

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

cumshitter posted:

Blue roads are more likely to have one of those barricades that start a fight. These are also usually easier than your normal Resistance point fight that you see on the map.

Yeah this matches up with the broken/solid lines on the map which indicate the same thing, broken lines = road battle, solid lines = no battle.

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
TIL there's an option in the settings to make the wagon handle more responsively.

Anomalous Blowout
Feb 13, 2006

rock
ice
storm
abyss

It makes no attempt to sound human. It is atoms and stars.

Jetrauben posted:

your otherwise up-until-this-point sometimes cowardly or selfish party just totally want to throw down

Aaaaa I am thrilled this is the impression you got because that's exactly what I was going for. Those lines were some of my fav bits to write. :shobon:

Xibanya posted:

Another really amazing thing about this game is that for the majority of development everyone was working from home. (Well unless they move me to Canada I will always be working from home.) It probably helped that most of the team knew each other IRL before the plague hit, but the cohesion/organization was real good and even though we’re all still working our asses off, the launch was pretty smooth. I’ve worked in both enterprise softdev and gamedev and it’s probably the least dysfunctional professional environment I’ve spent any amount of time in.

This is so true. I was brought onto the project late compared to most folks and like Xib I will almost certainly always be fully remote (I live in the opposite hemisphere), but even at my level of remove, all this is apparent. The two games I shipped this year are both a product of incredible company culture from the founders on down and they deserve every iota of success.

Xibanya posted:

:neckbeard:

It’s ultimately Chris Bourassa who is responsible for how amazing the game looks since everyone on the team was there to make it look exactly the way he wanted but I’m still insanely proud to have been the one who set the bar for “great cel shading.”

I’m not allowed to talk about how I did it now but I’ll be able to when we’re out of EA so I’m looking forward to that.

Annnd following up on this one as well to say Chris handles all the narrative direction as well. Never worked with an AD anything like him before. He has this combination of high-level vision, top-level execution, and direction/feedback style that just makes him so easy to work with??? Stepping onto a project where I was taking over someone else's writing work, having to edit it in a way that preserves tone etc, with ten separate characters that all have distinct voices could have been a mess. Instead from the first meeting onward it felt like we'd been working together for ten years. Best AD I've ever worked with by a significant margin. (Sorry team Mini Metro/Mini Motorways I can say this here because I don't get marching orders from the AD on that game!)

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
The Syphillis bark is still a placeholder? Come on, that stuff writes for itself!

:syoon: "I'll never leave your side"
:v: "PLACEHOLDER_SYPHILLIS_BARK_08777432"

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Hulk Krogan posted:

The Mastery system is cool but I don't love how you get the one point to spend at the first inn and are pretty much forced to take one of the stress-reducing upgrades. The combat system opens up quite a bit once you make it to the second inn with a few points to spend on other stuff, but that illusory choice at the beginning doesn't feel great.

Edit: Also I had a run where my Plague Doctor got Breacher as her starting positive trait and man, that sucked.

it also leads to runs with the same team feeling "samey" until the second inn, I'd like it if prestige ranks gave you a mastery point or two

Crasical
Apr 22, 2014

GG!*
*GET GOOD
I liked Wyrd Reconstruction in DD1 but wow it's real bad now

The little flick he does to get the blood off his dagger before re-sheathing it is *so good* though.

Crasical fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Oct 30, 2021

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Just had a run with two Peacemakers in the party and steamrolled everything.

Extremely powerful. My party was just high-fiving and hugging and falling in love and bosses fell over.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

I think I found my favorite team comp for now: Hellion/Leper/MAA/Occultist. Hellion/Leper/Occultist are all extremely heavy hitters, while the MAA glues the team together with tanking and support skills. It's got two stress healers and self-healers to boot. It may look like a weird mix at first, but the team just has good synergies all around.

I also appreciate Hellion a lot more now; big damage numbers aside, Raucous Revelry being able to stress heal without mastery means you're free to spend your first mastery point on something else.

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
They need to give Ounce of Prevention a 50/50 chance of stress heal on the base version. It would make the base skill actually worthwhile and make the mastery not an automatic no-brainer first pick when you have a Plague Doctor. The whole balance of some of the base/mastery skills feels completely out of whack.

That said the game is super fun and I keep making new parties and skill sets. Had a really awesome party of Runaway/Highwayman/Occultist/Plague Doctor that was just throwing out and detonating combos left right and center, had plenty of debuffs and healing to keep my guys safe too. The only annoying thing was my damage needed time to ramp up so the roadway battles could sometimes be hard to finish in 5 turns if I didn't get lucky.

I'm hopeful we will see the Crusader returning as a hero somewhere down the line, he was my favorite from DD1.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I hope later on we get the option to spend Hope points on a starting 'loadout', letting you pick between more supplies/trinkets or an extra mastery point or two.

There's one random reward that gives THREE extra mastery points, which combined with picking fights (not sure which ones give you them exactly) means you can stack up quite a bit.

Another nice detail is Jester's "Hit recovery" animation has him doing a little giggle.

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
This series has done a surprisingly good job making a jester in literal motley look and feel like a badass.

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

Jetrauben posted:

1: Calling it now: I'm almost positive this is going to end up being some sort of "you actually did all of this" and/or "this whole thing is in your head", given the nature of the first boss.

Yeah getting similar vibes as well. There being 5 stages starting with denial is a fairly obvious reference to the stages of grief. In typical Lovecraftian horror, you're probably locked up in a sanitarium somewhere, gone mad from the events of the first game and trying to get a grip on reality.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

Yeah getting similar vibes as well. There being 5 stages starting with denial is a fairly obvious reference to the stages of grief. In typical Lovecraftian horror, you're probably locked up in a sanitarium somewhere, gone mad from the events of the first game and trying to get a grip on reality.

This is my guess, but taking it a step further and its gonna turn out to be the Ancestor all along using some kind of Lovecraftian Inception voodoo to crack open the mental barriers you put up to keep yourself from giving the information to open the portal.

"Ah, my old friend, its a tragedy! The portal was opened, and the end of the world was upon us! You wouldn't happen to know the exact incantations and rites that happened to release the five seals were, would you? You know, so we can, ah, try to, uh, reverse the process? Here's some hope, why don't you take it to the mountain and put in your own PIN number and see if that helps!

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

AtillatheBum posted:

They need to give Ounce of Prevention a 50/50 chance of stress heal on the base version. It would make the base skill actually worthwhile and make the mastery not an automatic no-brainer first pick when you have a Plague Doctor. The whole balance of some of the base/mastery skills feels completely out of whack.

That said the game is super fun and I keep making new parties and skill sets. Had a really awesome party of Runaway/Highwayman/Occultist/Plague Doctor that was just throwing out and detonating combos left right and center, had plenty of debuffs and healing to keep my guys safe too. The only annoying thing was my damage needed time to ramp up so the roadway battles could sometimes be hard to finish in 5 turns if I didn't get lucky.

I'm hopeful we will see the Crusader returning as a hero somewhere down the line, he was my favorite from DD1.

I definitely agree with this. Some of skill upgrades are worthless (stuff like battle field medicine only getting 5% more to the heal). It would be cool if all skills had a 3rd level that cost more points or something.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Battlefield Medicine also competes with upgraded indiscriminate science, which can purge off debuffs and heal.

A lot of the melee attacks just do...a bit more damage when upgraded, and frequently this barely improves their maximum damage.

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
As someone who played the first Darkest Dungeon from the earliest beginning of early access to the very, I remain optimistic, since I remember how much they constantly tweaked things then.

This sequel has some great ideas, now they just need to be fine-tuned and re-balanced for a while.

Oh, and I've beaten Denial three times now. The latest run had Occultist who picked up Breacher from Academic's Study near the beginning. Was a barrel of laughs that one, with Leper in the team, let me tell you that.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Warden posted:

As someone who played the first Darkest Dungeon from the earliest beginning of early access to the very, I remain optimistic, since I remember how much they constantly tweaked things then.

This sequel has some great ideas, now they just need to be fine-tuned and re-balanced for a while.

Oh, and I've beaten Denial three times now. The latest run had Occultist who picked up Breacher from Academic's Study near the beginning. Was a barrel of laughs that one, with Leper in the team, let me tell you that.

This is what I like about the Jester, because he has a Jester forward, back/Ally forward back set of skills now.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
kind of put off, for now, by the knowledge that any new run inevitably includes a plague doctor and an immediately upgraded Ounce of Prevention. I hope they find a better solution for early stress relief.

edit: also feels like a whole lot of abilities benefit from Combo but very few apply it

peer fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 1, 2021

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Yeah, I think I posted this earlier, but the combat system really opens up in a fun way once you have more than one mastery point to spend, and it's kind of a shame that getting to that point feels so much shallower and more unforgiving.

I have a run going right now with a Leper-Jester-Highwayman-Plague Doctor party and it's fun as hell now that I have 5-6 skills mastered. There's some really cool interplay between the first three with the combo system, positioning, and the upgraded version of the Leper's main attack ignoring blind if the target has a combo token, but you have to slog through playing stress Triage to get to that point.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

peer posted:

edit: also feels like a whole lot of abilities benefit from Combo but very few apply it
as you unlock more classes it gets better... Leper, Occultist and I think Jester all apply combo easily

but even then, you can only start to exploit and enjoy combo mechanics after like the second inn, which again leads to runs feeling samey until you're halfway through them

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

Soothing Vapors posted:

as you unlock more classes it gets better... Leper, Occultist and I think Jester all apply combo easily

Highwayman too. The Mastery for Tracking Shot adds it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Point Blank shot has it right out of the box.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Right now my Leper has the trinkets that give him guaranteed crit token and 75% block token when he misses an attack. It turns out the crit tokens also apply to heals, so if his health is low he can use solemnity next turn and heal back for 40+ hp or Chop for about the same amount.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

I only just unlocked the Leper but he seems insanely good generally, especially once you get a reliable way to place combo markers and Master Chop so it ignores blind on targets with combo tokens.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Hulk Krogan posted:

I only just unlocked the Leper but he seems insanely good generally, especially once you get a reliable way to place combo markers and Master Chop so it ignores blind on targets with combo tokens.

Occultist Daemons pull brings em into Chop range and puts a combo point on them and you don't even have to upgrade it to do all that.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

:allears: Darkest Dungeon: I like to rhyme and commit crime

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

blizzardvizard posted:

:allears: Darkest Dungeon: I like to rhyme and commit crime

:hmmyes:

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
From Twitch stream with devs (I missed alot of the start) : patch this week.

Random: Collector probably in soon ™. Antiquarian encounter has higher chance if you have lotsa trinkets. Schrödinger's hound (they won't commit to info about new/old characters except a broad yes with no specifics.) Relationships will continue to be tuned (but they think it's funny cuz ppl in love are annoying.) Want to reduce noise but still have memorable random moments. They are monitoring feedback in their discord channel. Hope progression guesstimate was 50 = 100 hours. They are proud that you unlock bad things. Creates a more diverse and interesting game ecoverse that evolves over time.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I think Riposte is almost too good and should be nerfed so ranged attacks / melee attacks from rank 4 don't trigger it. Highwayman isn't Nightcrawler so he shouldn't be able to counter long-distance poo poo or enemies who are too far away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtillatheBum
Oct 6, 2010

Justice ain't gonna dispense itself.
Just finished a run where my Runaway died on the last battle before the inn. Was annoying because she got extremely unlucky to get on death's door in the first place but the real problem was that she died because my Graverobber did an outburst that prevented my PD from using a heal on the Runaway; of course the very next attack killed her. The kicker? it was an outburst FROM AMOROUS. A positive relationship got my character killed. What a crappy moment.

I was able to get to the inn and still win the run with the reinforcement but that battle completely soured the whole thing. I'm gonna set this game aside for a bit until we get a bit more content and hopefully some of the bullshit interactions adjusted.