Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Luffy contains the explosion by turning Onigashima to rubber, causing it to balloon cartoonishly complete with a puff of smoke escaping from the island's mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
Kroom = Knife Room

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Crazyeyes posted:

Kroom = Knife Room

So it's pronounced.... .....room.....? :haw:

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
nah it's definitely a hard k, law's a big fan of old english

i'm glad we're starting to see awakening make a more mainstream appearance, because it's a really refreshing counterweight for haki in that it allows creativity to forefront itself in battles again. fighters are rewarded for inventive application of the expanded boundaries of their devil fruit powers and it allows those powers a fresh face and and a reinvigorated spotlight. even if it's got a singular theme of externalizing a power in some way devil fruits are so varied and so often abstract that it allows for a lot of cool supposition on how awakening might manifest itself for a given power. relatedly i'm relieved kid didn't job after the last chapter's impact. as far as 'where was it before', the way they're talking about their experience with it and its effects on them i'm getting the impression they basically stumbled into this recently and in the moment.

i'm reiterating myself for probably the dozenth time now but i appreciate kanjuro so much as a villain, he's really exceptionally disquieting and effective. just a resolutely disturbed piece of work who's had several unsettling and upsetting moments to his name since the reveal of his betrayal, and the vibe during orochi's speech to him and kanjuro's manipulation of the spreading fire is another one of them. the evocative interactions between him and the other scabbards and the ongoing emotional and psychological effects his backstabbing and machinations have had on them is really vivid poo poo. i love how completely embodying of his kabuki theme his disposition is, like it'd have been way less effective to have him do the whole villainous heel turn spiel after announcing himself boasting about his con job or whatever, but instead he was earnestly and completely their brother right up until he wasn't, and it's so much more of a gut punch that way.

otherwise i'm mostly just pissed at myself for not calling the ace in the hole with kin'emon and law and i'm surprised i never ran into the prediction in the wild ahead of time. i hope there are some other fun 400+ chapter threads related to law's early chaos without getting too pell about it. also i spent the whole chapter anxious for who was going to die or sacrifice themselves or whatever based exclusively on the title which just wound up being some unspoken changing tides poo poo lol, including holding my breath for basically every panel after it was shown kiku survived. i'm on a knife's edge with wano.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.
I don't think I will ever understand how Laws powers work.

edit: I bet the Zorro using Kin'emon's fire cutting is going to come up in the fight with King.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 30, 2021

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Law can do magic surgery in his magic operation room. Sometimes that room is Big Mom.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Oct 30, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I've said it before, but I'm seriously stoked for Luffy getting a 'conventional' Paramecia Awakening simply because 'the entire battlefield is rubber now' is the sort of concept that Oda would be able to go absolutely nuts with.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Oct 30, 2021

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Violen posted:

nah it's definitely a hard k, law's a big fan of old english

i'm glad we're starting to see awakening make a more mainstream appearance, because it's a really refreshing counterweight for haki in that it allows creativity to forefront itself in battles again.

i think i only..sorta agree. kidd's awakening is a pretty logical next step, and though it could have been part of his core power, framing it as a surprise technique does add another element cuz then its logical that big mom would be surprised. what we saw this chapter of law's is just so amorphous i can't pretend it's creative

Violen
Jul 25, 2009

ohoho~
i meant creativity from the perspective of the characters themselves more than oda if that makes sense, like in terms of them coming up with battle tactics that aren't just 'haki harder', although i realize that's a little reductively glib lol. but like, one of my favorite aspects of luffy's character is how inventive and surprisingly incisive he is in battle against the expectations from his ostensible simple-mindedness and lackadaisical attitude outside of battle, the same way his personality gives him a surprisingly sharp empathetic eye for cutting to the heart of a conflict, especially one internal to a friend of his. at a wider level while i think haki has enough going on conceptually not to get too statically power level-ish and luffy in particular has kept its use varied and cool, i still think it's had a muting effect on the vivaciousness of fights and particularly on devil fruits and how their users apply them effectively (or not) being a major highlight of success when a given fight concerns them.

either way ill grant you what you said since i guess what i'm bloviating about is really only a semantic separation at the end of the day given oda's the hand behind anything the characters do anyway, but i still think the avenue of awakening is a promising one for future use from either perspective removed from what you think of law's (especially since issues someone might have with law's kind of extend to his powers generally

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1453739884653465602?s=20

…Ok then

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

ThingOne posted:

All of them is an exaggeration but Thousand Arrows and Sixteen Holy Bullets are both direct references to the things the people said while he was being crucified.

Oh wow!

Sixteen Holy Bullets felt like such an oddly specificly named and designed attack. Suddenly it makes sense and is, uh, a lot more disturbing.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

E: Also imagining Luffy using Awakening to ricochet his opponent off the wall/floor back into his fists repeatedly like a boxing speed bag and it will be awesome.

This is an amazing idea and I hope upon hope it happens :allears:

I'm picturing a temp big rubber Kaido bouncing back from the way a rubber ball jets back with force from smacking the poo poo out of a wall, except the wall just ricochets him back instead of crumbling away, right into Joe Blow Haki Fists ✊

White Light fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Oct 30, 2021

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

re: luffy awakening, What If Luffy one-shotted Doflamingo into the ground with Kong Gun, but instead of Dressrosa splitting in half, Dofly just bounced right back up into another Kong Gun, repeat until happy
EDIT: Sixteen Holy Guns

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Are mochi donuts even a thing?

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Darth Walrus posted:

I've said it before, but I'm seriously stoked for Luffy getting a 'conventional' Paramecia Awakening simply because 'the entire battlefield is rubber now' is the sort of concept that Oda would be able to go absolutely nuts with.

Oh poo poo oh poo poo just imagine Luffy dressed up as a Luchadore bouncing himself and his opponent off the walls and doing a flying clothesline attack. :aaaaa::vince:

RatHat posted:

If they aren't, then they should be. :colbert:

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Oct 31, 2021

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

RatHat posted:

they're made using rice flour

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

RatHat posted:

They sure are, there's even a chain called Mochinut.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
ಠ_ಠ

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>
#include <SaberToothed_Tiger.h>
#include <Tyrannosaurus.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

tbp posted:

i think i only..sorta agree. kidd's awakening is a pretty logical next step, and though it could have been part of his core power, framing it as a surprise technique does add another element cuz then its logical that big mom would be surprised. what we saw this chapter of law's is just so amorphous i can't pretend it's creative

It seems to jive with what we've seen of awakened Paramecia fruits anyway; though there's only been two other examples so far, Doflamingo and Katakuri. Like them, Kidd gives other objects properties of his own power. Law's is as nebulous as the rest of his power set; I kinda took it as it gave him a surefire way to bypass all protections like Haki, etc. Law's powers being so poorly defined bugs me as well, as knowing the limitations is part of what builds tension. Still badass though with him being one of the few to actually draw blood on Big Mom though.
Awakened Zoans seem to be very different. And I don't think we've had any hint at what an Awakened Logia would entail.
I like how wakening has been kinda a parallel power up to everything else. I feel in a lesser manga, it would've been introduced in the same arc Luffy learns it, and it'd be more of a straight powerup. Something like... Dressrosa, where Doflamingo has an Awakened fruit, so Luffy needs to learn to awaken his in order to defeat him. That would've be boring.
Instead, I really look forward to what creative moves Luffy is going to come up in the future. I just imagine a "bouncy castle"; turning the walls rubber to punch Akainu into and just rebound off to keep punching him again. I'm sure Oba has some neat special moves planned.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what if luffy turns his opponent to rubber but only temporarily, so they absorb all the shock but dont get blown away like with foxy's power. then when he unrubbers them, all of the damage hits at once

that said i think turning something into rubber so blackbeard cant destroy it with the gura gura no mi seems like the most likely thing that happens if luffy awakens his fruit

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Zakutambah posted:

It seems to jive with what we've seen of awakened Paramecia fruits anyway; though there's only been two other examples so far, Doflamingo and Katakuri. Like them, Kidd gives other objects properties of his own power. Law's is as nebulous as the rest of his power set; I kinda took it as it gave him a surefire way to bypass all protections like Haki, etc. Law's powers being so poorly defined bugs me as well, as knowing the limitations is part of what builds tension. Still badass though with him being one of the few to actually draw blood on Big Mom though.
Awakened Zoans seem to be very different. And I don't think we've had any hint at what an Awakened Logia would entail.
I like how wakening has been kinda a parallel power up to everything else. I feel in a lesser manga, it would've been introduced in the same arc Luffy learns it, and it'd be more of a straight powerup. Something like... Dressrosa, where Doflamingo has an Awakened fruit, so Luffy needs to learn to awaken his in order to defeat him. That would've be boring.
Instead, I really look forward to what creative moves Luffy is going to come up in the future. I just imagine a "bouncy castle"; turning the walls rubber to punch Akainu into and just rebound off to keep punching him again. I'm sure Oba has some neat special moves planned.

Punk Hazard is our hint at what awakened logia's can do. We can assume the Admirals have awakened their fruits

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

Begemot posted:

It's also the name of Katakuris onlyfans.

Brandfarlig fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Oct 31, 2021

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Zakutambah posted:

Law's powers being so poorly defined bugs me as well, as knowing the limitations is part of what builds tension.

Law's power does have a couple weaknesses in that it actually tires him out to use it which doesn't seem to be a problem for most other fruit users, and also it's ultimate technique is one he can never use cause it'll kill him. I think people find Law's power confusing because it's not a simple "You are Rubber" or "You are Fire" type of power. It's the most JoJo's type power in the series and I think that throws people off.

I think probably the easiest way to think of it is that the fruit makes you a Surgeon and the world around you is the Patient. Law's Room is an Operating Room. A surgeon cuts people open without killing them, thus Law can cut people or things up without killing them. A surgeon can transplant stuff, therefore Law can "transplant" whatever he wants anywhere in his room. A surgeon can administer electrical shocks with shock paddles, thus Law can electrocute people, etc.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
with all this talk of Awakening I have to wonder if Ace’s was awakened too, or at least on the way there. He was doing weird poo poo even for logias like his own version of the Hellzone Grenade where he just conjured a chain of fireballs around Blackbeard, and when asked about the logistics of logia powers in an SBS Oda iirc said that you just expel/manipulate your power from your body normally but Ace just achieved a degree of proficiency that let him externally manipulate it.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

Drakkel posted:

Law's power does have a couple weaknesses in that it actually tires him out to use it which doesn't seem to be a problem for most other fruit users, and also it's ultimate technique is one he can never use cause it'll kill him. I think people find Law's power confusing because it's not a simple "You are Rubber" or "You are Fire" type of power. It's the most JoJo's type power in the series and I think that throws people off.

I think probably the easiest way to think of it is that the fruit makes you a Surgeon and the world around you is the Patient. Law's Room is an Operating Room. A surgeon cuts people open without killing them, thus Law can cut people or things up without killing them. A surgeon can transplant stuff, therefore Law can "transplant" whatever he wants anywhere in his room. A surgeon can administer electrical shocks with shock paddles, thus Law can electrocute people, etc.

This a good point, and true. It's a very open ended power; I suppose as well, absolutely terrifying in the hands of someone like Law who also has the knowledge of a surgeon. He can be much more creative with it than most.
There is a direct line between his stamina, and how large of a room he can create. That was made very clear after the time skip
I think what loses something in that in the end, it gets a bit reduced to just delivering some sort of shockwave to his opponent.

Zakutambah
Jan 17, 2007

#include <Mastodon.h>
#include <Pterodactyl.h>
#include <Triceratops.h>

void megazordSequence();
College Slice

AtomikKrab posted:

Punk Hazard is our hint at what awakened logia's can do. We can assume the Admirals have awakened their fruits

Oh true. The island was permanently scarred with the elemental effects from Akainu and Aokiji. That would be inline with a step above a normal Logia.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

what if luffy turns his opponent to rubber but only temporarily, so they absorb all the shock but dont get blown away like with foxy's power. then when he unrubbers them, all of the damage hits at once

that said i think turning something into rubber so blackbeard cant destroy it with the gura gura no mi seems like the most likely thing that happens if luffy awakens his fruit

Going by how nearly worthless being rubber was for Luffy before he spent years training, turning an opponent into rubber in between your attacks would probably work better. They'll be all but incapable of attacking, and what flailing attempts actually manage to land will be weak.

So turn the guy into rubber, where gravity starts pulling on their extremities like silly putty. Robbing them of virtually all offense and defense. Then, right as your attack is about to land, un-ruberfy them and let them take the unguarded hit.

Or just done a sick wrasslin costume and turn the world into a giant bounce house/ring combo.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Do you think Crocodile’s (retroactively) awakened his fruit? His powers to dehydrate objects/people is pretty different from just being made of his element like other logias are, and he seems to be able to control sand in the environment around him in addition to his own.

RatHat posted:

Aurora posted:

they're made using rice flour

Begemot posted:

There are foods made of glutinous rice flour that are often called mochi in western countries, but they aren’t actual mochi. Their squishy, mochi-like texture is still called “mochimochi” though. At some places in Japan you can find mochimochi donuts (which are like the link posted) but they’re not exactly the same as Katakuri’s.

Regular mochi, which is what I’m assuming Katakuri is, is made of pounded glutinous rice grains. You can theoretically make them into a donut shape, but I don’t believe they sell them like that. Rice cakes made with glutinous rice flour are dango, by the way.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dangonut has a better sound to it tbh

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

AtomikKrab posted:

Oh man it would be cool if that constant lightning island we saw in the New World is where Enel/Eneru ended up

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Kinemon :allears:

Ever Disappointing
May 4, 2004

Guy A. Person posted:

Oh man it would be cool if that constant lightning island we saw in the New World is where Enel/Eneru ended up

Theres a few places like that in the Grand Line, like Enies Lobby which is always in daytime

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm a shameless nerd, where's a good place to get a winter hat with a star hat logo other than Amazon?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
New chapter is officially out btw

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1010464

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Zakutambah posted:

The Mino guards in Impel Down were apparently awakened Zoans, which seems to greatly increase durability and recovery time but you lose your mind(maybe only if you don't have a strong enough will?). Chopper's monster point is probably his awakened form that he got early by "cheating" using drugs.

By the way there were actually 2 more Paramecia awakenings in the movies, the main villains of One Piece Gold and Stampede. It basically only made their abilities stronger and with more range though

RatHat fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Oct 31, 2021

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i can understand people not liking the turn with kinemon but its such an unbelievably stupid joke that i love it

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Lot of people are mad we got another fakeout death and dont like the fart legs Kinemon but im gonna say it: its very good, and genius actually, that punk hazard kinemon is coming back clutch when he should otherwise just be slowly bleeding out in that room.

Anyone who dislikes this is a coward, tbh

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
im glad kikus alive

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Jose posted:

i can understand people not liking the turn with kinemon but its such an unbelievably stupid joke that i love it

I'm basically here with it as well. I thought his death scene was narratively and emotionally satisfying. This is satisfying in a "Oh wait, this is One Piece" kind of way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This is honestly the most I've laughed at kinemon in a while, and tokage port was Really loving Funny