Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

dang, it really has been 20 years since I read them. all I remember of Min was "third wife" and knife throwing. the WoT wiki says both Min and Avhienda are the 2nd wife, so maybe even they're rusty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

My head canon considers her the 1st wife since she gets boned the most :dong:

Hexel fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 30, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
How would you rank?

Min saw him first, Min got into bed with him first*, Aviendha fucks him first, Elayne has his first kids.

Amount of boning probably averages out over the course of their lives.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

all I remember was boring wife, hot wife, fun wife. she was the fun wife

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Hexel posted:

My head canon considers her the 1st wife since she gets boned the most :dong:

Same to me, though more because Rand/Min are the only pairing of Rand's that feels like an actual relationship in the slightest - they spend a significant amount of time together, they actually talk about their relationship, and Rand has actual feelings for her.

Even when he is slowly descending into madness, Min is a true source of comfort to Rand, and it's the threat to her that starts him along his final descent in The Gathering Storm.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Oct 30, 2021

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I mean he had some makeout sesh with Elayne in the Stone of Tear and then doesnt see her for a few books then they pork like1-2 times and she gets pregnant. Aviendha spends most of their relationship hating him and then they have the ice igloo sex.

Min spends a ton of time with him banging it out basically every day when he's going full Lews Therin towards the end.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

igloo sex was the best one tho

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Hexel posted:

I mean he had some makeout sesh with Elayne in the Stone of Tear and then doesnt see her for a few books then they pork like1-2 times and she gets pregnant. Aviendha spends most of their relationship hating him and then they have the ice igloo sex.

Min spends a ton of time with him banging it out basically every day when he's going full Lews Therin towards the end.

I think the big thing is because of the wonkiness of how the series handles time skips it seems like he spends a lot less time with Elayne than he did. They were running around in Tear for a couple months, it was just mostly offscreen because the first few books have some strangely large time skips that mostly disappear after The Shadow Rising.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Given the bit in the trailer where Rand's like "I don't want to lose you," and Egwene replies "You won't," and combining it with the scene in the teaser where they're half naked together, I have to think that Rand and Egwene's relationship will be much more serious than in the books. Which makes me very curious how it's going to go once Min gets added to the mix near the end of this season and Elayne early next.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
That's more and better communication between Rand and Egwene in all of book 1 on paper.

Zore posted:

I think the big thing is because of the wonkiness of how the series handles time skips it seems like he spends a lot less time with Elayne than he did. They were running around in Tear for a couple months, it was just mostly offscreen because the first few books have some strangely large time skips that mostly disappear after The Shadow Rising.

Though they would have encountered each other repeatedly over the course of the month or so in the Stone, they weren't together together for more than maybe about 4 days, when Egwene and Elayne hatched the plan to "pass" Rand between them. Rand the woolhead didn't know what was up until that point (and arguably didn't know what was up after that point).

What I like to point out is that what Rand does with the High Lords and armies of Tear didn't solidify until he and Elayne got together. Moiraine wanted him to take those guys to attack Illian, Thom picks out a person he wants to help with his Daes Daemar skills and doesn't much care exactly what that person does with it so long as he likes him/her, and Rand was hyperfocused on his plan on going to the Waste to recruit the Aiel (you can double check on his selection of reading when we visit his rooms in the Stone). It is very likely that Elayne gave him her understanding of what statesmanship and diplomacy can accomplish that she learned from Morgase.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 30, 2021

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

yeah the two talking about their relationship at all is very unfaithful to the books. ideally in future seasons no one will ever talk to each other about their issues

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

The dangers of the sexes refusing to talk to each other is a major theme of the story!

I think having some couples who do talk to contrast with those who don't will be needed for the visual medium. You don't have access to everyone's inner thoughts so you can see how they are foolishly misinterpretating each other.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

I kinda hope we get the boys "I wish X was here, he is so much better with women" mumbled under their breath while a character walks away just to show that part of each of them.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I keep thinking about a WoT rpg but in my mind it's a throwback to early 90s 16 bit ones and it looks like FF6 with an overworld and random battles but with cutscenes done in a 16 bit anime style with lots of parallaxing backgrounds. Jeff hire me please!!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I keep thinking about a WoT rpg but in my mind it's a throwback to early 90s 16 bit ones and it looks like FF6 with an overworld and random battles but with cutscenes done in a 16 bit anime style with lots of parallaxing backgrounds. Jeff hire me please!!

theres a lovely 1999 abadonware fps if you're bored enough on a saturday afternoon

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

eke out posted:

in a weird way it might be a lucky break, since there's exactly one character that spends the first book mostly literally possessed by an otherworldly force of evil that gets cured and becomes a better person in book 2

would've been way worse if they'd whiffed the casting of rand/egwene/nynaeve/perrin
Yeah, in my mind the actor for Rand has to be absolutely perfect in a way none of the other Emonds Fielders have to be. Like to honor the books it would have to be some Breaking Bad level acting. From the trailers that guy looks fine, hoping he can blow my mind.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Nitrousoxide posted:

The dangers of the sexes refusing to talk to each other is a major theme of the story!

I think having some couples who do talk to contrast with those who don't will be needed for the visual medium. You don't have access to everyone's inner thoughts so you can see how they are foolishly misinterpretating each other.

For all the weird poo poo with Saldeans, Bashere and his wife had a not so bad relationship. They cared about each other and had been together long enough to be able to communicate without having full on discussions. They also knew when to push things and when not to.

Though missing out on Perrin's smelling Faile's emotions and being confused by what she's acting like will really be hard to convey on screen.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Just hit the part in wheel takes where they start calling Morgase 'mayonnaise' and it almost made me turn the pod off

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Just hit the part in wheel takes where they start calling Morgase 'mayonnaise' and it almost made me turn the pod off
Some time ago I hit the part where they talk about Thom throwing a dis track at Morgase and I almost threw up from laughing

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Agreed I often have to pause the pod to laugh as well

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

CainsDescendant posted:

Agreed I often have to pause the pod to laugh as well

Yeah that's what I meant

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I kind of wish they had stuck with "male gaze" for Morgase. By the point I'm at (mid TSR), they've mostly dropped the nicknames, beyond Knife and Gwen, which mostly stick around out of fondness.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Hexel posted:

Aviendha doesn't hate Rand. She hates that the Wise Ones are throwing her at him. She feels that a relationship won't be her choice, and there's still a big part of her not being willing to give up the spear.

Mage_Boy
Dec 18, 2003

This hotdog is about as real as your story Steve Simmons

seaborgium posted:

Though missing out on Perrin's smelling Faile's emotions and being confused by what she's acting like will really be hard to convey on screen.

They might be able to do this with colors emanating from the person.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

With your Amazon prime subscription, you can get two day shipping on a set of scented oils to represent Perrin's sensory experiences episode by episode

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Jedit posted:

Aviendha doesn't hate Rand. She hates that the Wise Ones are throwing her at him. She feels that a relationship won't be her choice, and there's still a big part of her not being willing to give up the spear.

Well that, and she's extremely frustrated because she promised Elayne to make sure he stayed loyal and Aviendha has a lot of feelings for the woolhead. Really, she has a lot going on in her life and the Aiel's honor system is making it all even more complicated for her. I totally get why all of that mixed together would result in her projecting all of that onto Rand as his fault (if it weren't for Rand, I wouldn't feel this shame/have to give up the spear/etc) and making him think that she hates him. She doesn't hate him as a person, but for a while she absolutely hates what he represents and what turmoil he's causing her. After the igloo she gets out of her own head a bit and everything goes a bit smoother, and then it gets better again once she confronts Elayne afterwards.

Soysaucebeast fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 30, 2021

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
The parts of TSR/TFoH where Rand accidentally courts her are the best, because you know she's told him at least in passing about some of those and nothing stuck in Rand's head (because he's distracted by staring off at the peddlers, or the Wise Ones and Moiraine, or thinking about Couladin, or whatever). Then he goes off to the Maidens' roof and TELLS HER FORMER SPEARSISTERS that he's looking for a gift that she would like.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

Huh? Why?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Barreft posted:

Huh? Why?

Some people really hate mayonnaise.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Vavrek posted:

Some people really hate mayonnaise.

Yeah I guess. everyone needs to be offended by something nowadays

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Barreft posted:

Yeah I guess. everyone needs to be offended by something nowadays

heyoo [golf swing] I'll be here all night folks

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Vavrek posted:

I kind of wish they had stuck with "male gaze" for Morgase. By the point I'm at (mid TSR), they've mostly dropped the nicknames, beyond Knife and Gwen, which mostly stick around out of fondness.

Isn't she listening to these in audiobook format? I read the books at my leisure, and I still consulted the glossary from time to remember who people were.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

i say swears online posted:

edit on IMDB, Min has 3 episode credits this season and Thom has 1, lol. was Min even in the first book??

IMDB episode counts can't be trusted, especially before a show actually airs

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

ninjoatse.cx posted:

Isn't she listening to these in audiobook format? I read the books at my leisure, and I still consulted the glossary from time to remember who people were.

Yeah. I read the books in print a few times before trying the audiobooks and even then had a moment of "are you loving kidding me?" when Bayle Domon was heading to Arad Doman and got attacked by a damane.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

I got to the part in my reread in the Dragon Reborn right after Falme where they are camped out in the Mountains of Mist.

They're kinda hiding out and random women keep coming to visit Moiraine with news of whats going on in Almoth Plain, I cant remember if it is ever explained how or why these women are being summoned like this?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Blue Ajah has a Randland wide network of informants since they're like the political causes Ajah. I assume she sent messenger pigeons out and once a few people showed up she could instruct them to reach out to other contacts and tell them to meet up.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice
Plus I think she had her own network.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Ah yeah that makes sense

During the battle of Falme when Rand is fighting Ba'alzamon his pov changes from just a normal "human" one to the kind of top-down view from the clouds

Is that a product of the horn or just some kind of saidin transcendence taking place? He doesn't ever become cloud Rand again right?

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I just realised we don't have anyone announced as Ishamael yet. I really hope they're holding back on a big name to surprise us with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Barreft posted:

Huh? Why?

Some people find the "cutesy" nicknames annoying.

I listened to the podcast some more into the great hunt, and the nicknames are still the worst part.

Are there any other pods with first time readers?