Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

I wish the characters had dialogue while exploring like sometimes Papet Oz chimes in with

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Is the new character secretly evil? No. Is Childe planning on doing something sinister with the Domain? No. Story done.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah theres a thematic beat of trust vs distrust and which is right that kind of just doesnt get resolved. like there's no real moment where the protag/paimon have to choose between trust and distrust and are rewarded or punished for picking one or another. its just 'lets keep an eye on them.' 'oh it worked out.'

Redmark
Dec 11, 2012

This one's for you, Morph.
-Evo 2013
I don't feel like the dialogue was all that stretched. Rather it just feels like no one really cares about Xinyan or Shiki Taishou, which, :shrug:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

hell, i like xinyan! thats why i wish her character influenced what happened in this event more. she gets some decent lines but in terms of the plot she could be literally anyone

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

It's OK Childe got to call me his comrade so I'm satisfied

That guy is really warming on me

Kale
May 14, 2010

The secret is to have bishoujo characters or vulnerable young boys with really tragic back stories. Mihoyo tried to get to cute with a down on his luck paper shikigami and a rocker chick bonding over rock and roll music though

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

perhaps the answer lies... in the middle

it's a lot of dialog for the amount of information that is necessary to convey. unless your name is Kujou Sara.

however, having the characters be wordy means there is some degree of reframing the info in their own particular style/viewpoint, which makes them feel more real. it's very valuable in that way.

the amnesiac plot is i think a bigger culprit for my complaints, Shiki is just kind of a weight until his big cutscene moment and then we've already spent most of the time we get with him (for now). i also think more could've been done with Xinyan's inclusion as trust and prejudice are her whole things and Childe barely gets to interact with that story angle. also going back to that cutscene, what the gently caress was up with the subtitle formatting and timing? awful

Kale
May 14, 2010

Thats probably about the least :mad: face version of Sara we've seen to date though. I'm sure we'll get the full dose in Ittos story quest though.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

The endless talking in the middle of combat especially on the last floor really annoyed me because it was distracting and blocked large chunks of the screen with :words:

The actual cutscenes were-fine ish if still restating the same points over and over

Sexual Aluminum
Jun 21, 2003

is made of candy
Soiled Meat
I feel like there were two story arcs that were cut for some reason during the Labyrinth event

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Perhaps the complaint isn't "too much dialogue" but is actually "the pacing and characterization is dogshit, hire better writers"?

Captain France
Aug 3, 2013
Really the problem isn't even too much talking, it's too much talking and no way instant or near instant text display.

I like every character involved here, especially Xinyan, and their voice acting. (Hey maybe you're prejudiced against people with Xinyan's accent, I sure am. But it works for her and it's one of the most unique voices in the whole game.)

But there is only so much standing around talking I want to see at anything slower than my reading speed, especially when I wanted to play a video game.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The puppets talking is the videogame.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

QuantaStarFire posted:

Perhaps the complaint isn't "too much dialogue" but is actually "the pacing and characterization is dogshit, hire better writers"?
no, because wanting people to lose their jobs because an event in a videogame was somewhat overly wordy is sociopathic behavior

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
If I roll on a limited-time character banner, will all the 4* characters I pull be one of the three featured 4*s, or can I still get other 4*s?

If I can get other 4*s, what's the split between featured 4*s and non-featured 4*s? 50/50?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

you can get non-rateup 4*s, yes (including 4* weapons), but it does the same thing that 5*s does where if you get a non-rateup the next 4* you get will be rateup (one of the three, so you can keep getting the same rateup and miss the one you actually want)

Bloody Emissary
Mar 31, 2014

Powawa~n

Endorph posted:

no, because wanting people to lose their jobs because an event in a videogame was somewhat overly wordy is sociopathic behavior

I've also heard that the English translation is quite a bit wordier than the original CN dialogue, so...best ask somebody who's seen both versions for their perspective before blaming it on the writers.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Pope Urbane II posted:

People complaining about the talking want a worse game with poorly realized characters. More dialogue please.

Oh god, this is Eula and Raiden Shogun's character quests all over again.

NO. People aren't saying cut dialogue out, they're saying let the editor hack away at things like Indiana Jones chopping away overgrowth with a machete. We don't need to reiterate the same point 6 times over, that's approaching Golden Sun levels of redundant dialogue.

Between this event and the last Tsurumi Island quest, I got to ask what is up with us suddenly being so reluctant to tell people poo poo now? Tell Xinyan that Childe's a high ranking member of the Fatui and nearly got a giant ocean monster to destroy Liyue! If something went wrong and he was injured, I'd much rather her leave rather than risk her life trying to help him. And she should know in general in case he tried to pull some poo poo and she wouldn't be taken as a hostage or anything. He's blasé about who he is, it wouldn't have mattered if she was on her guard around him since he only case about the Traveller since they beat him in a fight three times already.

Bloody Emissary posted:

I've also heard that the English translation is quite a bit wordier than the original CN dialogue, so...best ask somebody who's seen both versions for their perspective before blaming it on the writers.

Oh right, duh, of course the translation also plays a factor in things too, I didn't even think about that.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Bloody Emissary posted:

I mean, that's just a language difference. Both Japanese and Chinese can communicate more in less words/characters than English can. Given the way the camera cuts I really doubt they're adding dialogue boxes whole cloth, so I imagine the 'same information repeated multiple times' thing still applies.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

metal gear?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

dogsicle posted:

metal gear?
huh, metal gear...

Boat Stuck
Apr 20, 2021

I tried to sneak through the canal, man! Can't make it, can't make it, the ship's stuck! Outta my way son! BOAT STUCK! BOAT STUCK!
Given how very often during cutscenes Paimon's mouth will stop moving halfway through a sentence, I suspect the English translation is quite a bit longer than the original.

Boat Stuck fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Oct 31, 2021

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Yeah it's just bad writing, the event dialogue is so circular and keeps going back to the same points about things you don't know. I can't really think of a good character quest but take Albedo for example. He took specific interest in the traveler and paimon, the dialogue in his quest was relevant to what you were doing. There's maybe a line or two about questioning his motives but it isn't a constant recurring discussion. Or Hu Tao's quest where she isn't being forthright with you and you confront her about it. That dialogue is productive.

Write a quest for Tsurumi island that tells you about Tsurumi island before you get there. "Go here and look for a zither for my fiction novels" is terrible. Tell me there's a spooky mist-cloaked island where the sun never shines, tell me every adventurer gets lost and turned around, tell me there are rumors of people that live in the mist, tell me there's an ancient legend of a powerful beast that controls the fog. That sounds cool, now I want to go to that island and discover the fate of the rumored inhabitants.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Boat Stuck posted:

Given how very often during cutscenes Paimon's mouth will stop moving halfway through a sentence, I suspect the English translation is quite a bit longer than the original.
again, though, that's just language. they aren't creating sentiments out of nothing, you can say more in a shorter amount of time in both chinese and japanese. that's why everyone talks so fast in speed racer and old kung-fu movie dubs, they're trying to communicate the same amount of info with a language that takes way more time to communicate the same ideas, while matching the lip flaps.

Sanctum posted:

Yeah it's just bad writing, the event dialogue is so circular and keeps going back to the same points about things you don't know. I can't really think of a good character quest but take Albedo for example. He took specific interest in the traveler and paimon, the dialogue in his quest was relevant to what you were doing. There's maybe a line or two about questioning his motives but it isn't a constant recurring discussion. Or Hu Tao's quest where she isn't being forthright with you and you confront her about it. That dialogue is productive.

Write a quest for Tsurumi island that tells you about Tsurumi island before you get there. "Go here and look for a zither for my fiction novels" is terrible. Tell me there's a spooky mist-cloaked island where the sun never shines, tell me every adventurer gets lost and turned around, tell me there are rumors of people that live in the mist, tell me there's an ancient legend of a powerful beast that controls the fog. That sounds cool, now I want to go to that island and discover the fate of the rumored inhabitants.
counterpoint, an endless string of kino's journey jokes is way better

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i've barely touched Tsurumi but the second you get there it's already setting up mystery with the ceremony and weird characters who are probably dead, so the quest seems more like "oh it just has a weirdly goofy/implausible inciting event."

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

It's more likely they mistook pre-Inazuma survey results like "give us more story" with "add more dialog" when the two are not by necessity related.
You can say a whole lot and deliver very little information, which is what this event and the first 90% of the Raiden Shogun main quest line is.
You can also deliver way too much information without saying very much, which is what the last 10% of the Raiden Shogun main quest line is.

What would be nice is a balance. Say what needs to be said and make the dialog actually meaningful, without adding tons of irrelevant padding.

Like, we got all of two sentences from tortellini mentioning something actually important and overarching-plot-relevant, at the very end of the event quest line. Why was there only two sentences, and why was it at the end? You could literally chop 50-75% of the event dialog and lose absolutely nothing of importance to ether the event-specfic story or overall story.

It's annoying. Much like "cutscene ends after telling you to go pick up a thing, which is 5 feet away, and you are given control again to walk those 5 feet and press a key before the next cutscene starts".

Chernobyl Peace Prize
May 7, 2007

Or later, later's fine.
But now would be good.

More cat shrine quests, more people talking about the cat shrine, etc. More NPCs saying "did you know Neko is cat?" and more NPCs being like "hey I heard about a cat island. Let's check that out next."

Those are the things I want when people talk about dialogue, characterization, quests, story. Anything else is just justifying a gacha box.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No, you're still supporting gacha

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you buy a monthly pass on the same day one runs out, does it give you one less day overall since it's 30 days?

akulanization
Dec 21, 2013

Acerbatus posted:

If you buy a monthly pass on the same day one runs out, does it give you one less day overall since it's 30 days?

It’s claiming the primos that makes Welkin count down. So no, it keeps track of if you claimed it for the day or not.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

QuantaStarFire posted:

Yeah there's plenty of games I'm totally fine with sitting through long cutscenes for, Metal Gear Solid 2 is one of my favorite games ever. Even just in the realm of phone games Fate/Grand Order has single chapters that are basically as long as entire visual novels.

The thing there though is that in the broadest terms, they're generally better written. MGS2 has a lot of weird tangents that can sometimes be funny or interesting or you can look back later and see how they actually are relevant despite seeing inane at the time ("REMEMBER PRE-RIPPED JEANS?"). FGO has a large cast of characters that fall into broad archetypes, yet are generally well characterized enough that even two really similar characters like Jeanne Alter and Saber Alter talking doesn't feel like white noise, and they're usually saying something funny or interesting or whatever too.

This event in Genshin, and frankly most of Inazuma, I couldn't really tell you what was going on or who did what and why because it's loving boring.

Mondstatw as kinda whatever, but Liyue was generally fun which makes it stand out more having done them all in quick succession.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Which competitors are these? I'm interested

Most recent is Tower of Fantasy. I have no idea about the company behind it, maybe they suck, but what I've seen is basically 1:1 to Genshin (down to animations and stuff) with a different setting, a custom character, mounts to cut down on travel time and combat that's more like Honkai's (which I had more fun with than I usually do with Genshin's).

So it's entirely possible it'll be awful or dead with content, but it seems like it's trying to be a competitor as opposed to hoping people click it in the app store when they're bored and drunk.

Previous one was PSO2 New Genesis but it ended up being incredibly meh.

Acerbatus fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 31, 2021

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
Haven't played the new event yet because I'm in the middle of moving, so I can't speak to that. But I though Moonchase was dialogue heavy while still having a compelling story.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
As it turns out the mystery of guoba is more compelling than the mystery of some guy we've never met with a generic NPC model.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Ytlaya posted:

My Ayaka has the highest crit damage of any character I've ever built - 230-something%. I could probably do with some more crit rate, but due to cryo resonance + blizzard strayer it still ends up okay (I have something like 19% crit rate before resonance + artifact bonuses, which I guess works out to ~74% if stuff is frozen and 54% if it isn't). I just got exceptionally lucky with crit damage sub-stat rolls.

Her ult, assuming it manages to stay in contact with the enemy, is hands-down the most damage I'm capable of dealing. Though the "assuming it stays in contact" part is pretty relevant for any enemies that move around.

Like this? With resonance, 82% crit rate on frozen enemies. Ayaka's got some juicy numbers. If only my substats were better.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

No Wave posted:

As it turns out the mystery of guoba is more compelling than the mystery of some guy we've never met with a generic NPC model.

one could've hoped he would be a cool playable onmyoji 😔

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

No Wave posted:

True. And the dialogue added to the event added characterization and brings back all of your favorite characters. This event beins in Xinyan and Childe, but only Xinyan really gets a few good lines, and that's all interspersed with the "Well that's good!" "well that's too bad!" dialogue that every character feels to compelled to add whenever anyone says anything at all.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

honestly i loved Childe's insane "i am a weapon" speech

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I put Dragon's Bane on Hu Tao and with Xinqiu it's about as good as the Deathmatch I had on her though it tanked her CR, but now I have two Deathmatches that no one can use, great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Acerbatus posted:

Buying another pass just queues up 30 more days at the end of the current the pass duration. You could buy up to 6 welkin moon passes in one day if you wanted, and you'd get 1800 instant genesis crystals + 180 days of 90 crystals per day.

Acerbatus posted:

Most recent is Tower of Fantasy. I have no idea about the company behind it, maybe they suck, but what I've seen is basically 1:1 to Genshin (down to animations and stuff) with a different setting, a custom character, mounts to cut down on travel time and combat that's more like Honkai's (which I had more fun with than I usually do with Genshin's).

So it's entirely possible it'll be awful or dead with content, but it seems like it's trying to be a competitor as opposed to hoping people click it in the app store when they're bored and drunk.

Previous one was PSO2 New Genesis but it ended up being incredibly meh.

Oh neat, I hadn't really thought about MMOs as competition but it kinda makes sense.
It's a shame what happened to NGS though, it released with such a tiny world and nothing to really explore/do beyond just farming the same enemies in different environments.