Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I don't get the "do your badges while working" save idea. Especially in Wales where everyone in the game with an interest in coaching is going to have at least a Continental A before starting a management job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I signed a contract with Cefn Druids to stay with them a second season. I've managed to sign a few OK but flakey players. We got thumped something like 3-0 at home and 2-1 away in our only European game. Although that was a big boost to our budget. I'm starting to care about the team a little, especially as I have a few young players coming good, which is making this a much more stressful period.

The thing is though, we were told to "avoid relegation" this year, despite coming third last year. I think we have a better team this year, but again think third is the limits of our ambitions, although we may do better in both cups and if we get a serious injury, one of which we've already had.

I probably should ask the board for something with our budget. Our stadium is fine, our training grounds don't make much difference because we're part-time, we won't be going pro, my wage budget is at just the right level where I can sign the players that'd actually be willing to come to us, the same for coaches, and we don't really need more because as I said, we're part time. I doubt I'll be around long enough to benefit from better youth recruitment, and an increased scouting range doesn't mean much when most of our signings have come from scout knowledge.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
I started as the low-league Belenenses team - kind of, I used create-a-club and gave them a weird name. Awesome facilities for their level, so I'm hoping the finances aren't as turbo-hosed as they were in FM21.
Actually, I just remembered I set their minimum attendance to like 20k. lol

It seems a bit stupidly easy to sign Paraguayan players whose contracts expire 6 months after the standard game start date (1st July), but I'll take any advantage I can get right now.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Facilities cost a fortune to maintain, so unless you did something to inject cash, like long term sponsors, finances are always going to be an issue.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kingturnip posted:

I started as the low-league Belenenses team - kind of, I used create-a-club and gave them a weird name. Awesome facilities for their level, so I'm hoping the finances aren't as turbo-hosed as they were in FM21.

It seems a bit stupidly easy to sign Paraguayan players whose contracts expire 6 months after the standard game start date (1st July), but I'll take any advantage I can get right now.

Which Belenenses are you talking about, because both are very poor at the moment and state of the art facilities will cost you a fortune to sustain.

The best thing about low level FM in relatively popular leagues is to build entire teams on the backs of unemployed trialists. Belenenses will definitely have plenty of suitors, so enjoy!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

kingturnip posted:

In my Sweden save there's a billion homeless Argentinians roaming around my recommendations, plus a bunch of ex-MLS players. Not sure what's happening in the Americas that they're releasing so many.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
It would be nice if the game would just delete them after like a full year of unemployment because all those pointless 41CA/54PA players drifting around (plus equally useless staff newgens) probably contribute a lot to the relentless save file bloat that makes it nigh-impossible to play for more than about 25 years.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm really enjoying inverted wingbacks this year but I do feel guilty ruining the career of a talented left-footed midfielder by teaching him to play right back.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?
Wide centerbacks are just amazing. I tried 4 at the back as Arsenal before realising 3 with 2 wides was defensively better and Tierney still gets down the left just as much. Plus a spare player.

Won the league on the last day of the season, playing what the game calls a 3-2-5 but I'd argue is more a 3-2-3-2.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Masonity posted:

Wide centerbacks are just amazing. I tried 4 at the back as Arsenal before realising 3 with 2 wides was defensively better and Tierney still gets down the left just as much. Plus a spare player.

Won the league on the last day of the season, playing what the game calls a 3-2-5 but I'd argue is more a 3-2-3-2.

I've struggled with back threes this year, but I've only tried them as defensive/counter tactics for sides expected to lose. Much easier to be exposed in the channels teams attacking with width compared to last year, where the 5-3-2 was my go-to underdog system.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Now we just need to do 2 WCB + 1 L all on attacking supported by a couple of attacking IWB with all your midfield and forwards on support and defensive duties

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Azhais posted:

Now we just need to do 2 WCB + 1 L all on attacking supported by a couple of attacking IWB with all your midfield and forwards on support and defensive duties

I see you've watched Swansea City irl this season. In possession our two midfielders are often the deepest players on the pitch.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Someone over on Reddit made up a big chart of personalities and what they mean for attributes. I had a list of good and bad personalities in my head, but never knew specifically how they related to the hidden attributes

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Azhais posted:

Someone over on Reddit made up a big chart of personalities and what they mean for attributes. I had a list of good and bad personalities in my head, but never knew specifically how they related to the hidden attributes

I wonder if you can build a team of mostly temperamental \ spineless \ unambitious players and then recruit some professional \ iron willed \ determined players and see them demoralised for being left out of the main social groups.

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

Am I missing something, or is there no way to bring up the dugout during highlights? I'm fed up of some observation by my AM flashing up for a nanosecond and it being ten minutes more game time before I can read it and respond

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Why in the world would you ever want to listen to anything the rear end Man says, that sounds like a feature to me

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pipski posted:

Am I missing something, or is there no way to bring up the dugout during highlights? I'm fed up of some observation by my AM flashing up for a nanosecond and it being ten minutes more game time before I can read it and respond

The tiny little tablet button?

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

sassassin posted:

The tiny little tablet button?

Nah, that only brings up the tablet side of the screen, unfortunately.

Eric the Mauve posted:

Why in the world would you ever want to listen to anything the rear end Man says, that sounds like a feature to me

Fair point.

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
I just want the AssMan to suggest things I already agree with, and I'll just keep firing them annually until I find one that does

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Super realistic manager mode: Turn all attributes off and rely only on agent recommendations, staff suggestions and social media to make all your decisions. Make sure everything is someone else's fault when you spend 40 million on an absolute donkey because your fitness coach liked the look of him

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Please don't make the mistake I did and demote players to the "Second XI" in anger after they get sent off in a game you were winning 4-0. I cannot for the life of me find anywhere in the UI where you can access it, and they no longer appear in the lists for squad registration. If you can't remember the player in question because you did it when you were drunk at 2am they'll get very mad at you for not being included in the CL squad and you'll have to reload 2 times before you figure out where they've gone.

Also United are, predictably, utterly broken. Scoring 4/5 goals per game consistently. At about the midway point in the first season Ronaldo and Cavani had 20+ PL goals each.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The first thing I do in every new save is go through United's players with the editor and un-insanify their hidden attributes.

the sex ghost posted:

Super realistic manager mode: Turn all attributes off and rely only on agent recommendations, staff suggestions and social media to make all your decisions. Make sure everything is someone else's fault when you spend 40 million on an absolute donkey because your fitness coach liked the look of him

There's a skin that shows you only colors for attributes, no numbers. I keep meaning to try it one of these years, I like the concept.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Manchester UFC did come 2nd last season and sign Varane and Ronaldo so it shouldn't be a surprise they do well. Their CA16 rating is still some distance behind Liverpool and Man City.

FM Ole seems a better tactician than the one irl though. Pep's style of football never seems to find much success.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

EvilHawk posted:

Please don't make the mistake I did and demote players to the "Second XI" in anger after they get sent off in a game you were winning 4-0. I cannot for the life of me find anywhere in the UI where you can access it, and they no longer appear in the lists for squad registration.

SI seems to have this weird fixation on hiding squads you're not personally managing.
Go into 'Staff Responsibilities' --> 'Training' and assign yourself to either 'General Training' or 'Individual Training' for your Reserves, U-19 squads. Then those squads will appear at the bottom of the menu bar

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Sweden save died. Picking a new team to manage is the hardest part of the game.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Go with the Slovenian second division and enjoy the salary cap

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

sassassin posted:

Pep's style of football never seems to find much success.

I'm still mad at that Match Engine that loved Jose Long Ball Football and Jose would win the league 8 years in a row with United.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Started in Denmark and just had my first female referee (that I've noticed).

Gave me a soft penalty so I'm all for this equality lark.

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.
Ach, I've just spent ten seasons carefully turning Forest back into an all-conquering force then the game just threw a spanner in the works by generating a player with the stupidest name I've seen for a long time, and now I'm going to have to buy him & drop someone good, FFS. I feel I'm not going to be able to train Jack Jack into anything like a good player, but he's going to be playing anyway

RobertKerans fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Nov 3, 2021

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

RobertKerans posted:

Ach, I've just spent ten seasons carefully turning Forest back into an all-conquering force then the game just threw a spanner in the works by generating a player with the stupidest name I've seen for a long time, and now I'm going to have to buy him & drop someone good, FFS. I feel I'm not going to be able to train Jack Jack into anything like a good player, but he's going to be playing anyway

Sounds versatile.

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

i just had a scottish player come though at celtic called scott scott my fiorentina save.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
A very threatening physio...

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Aggression: 21

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

irl lmao

RobertKerans
Aug 25, 2006

There is a heppy lend
Fur, fur aw-a-a-ay.

Hahaha, this is incredible

Pipski
Apr 18, 2004

He'd better make the most of that fine head of hair, it won't be with him long.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

I had the game generate me a player called Chad Male once, and it was somewhat fitting that he had a whole half a star worth of potential

yugioh mishima
Oct 22, 2020

i had a martin martin come through my youth academy. meanwhile in the first team there is one left footed belgian called thibaut vandamme and another left footed belgian called thibeau vandamme

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yugioh mishima posted:

i had a martin martin come through my youth academy. meanwhile in the first team there is one left footed belgian called thibaut vandamme and another left footed belgian called thibeau vandamme

Are they orphans who were raised in France and Hong Kong respectively?