Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Grapplejack posted:

I/P has the most flashpoints so they're not wrong; you've got Kashmir, plus the water situation. Water for China / India / Pakistan all comes from the same general region, which happens to also be in Kashmir, which the three of them have claims over. This is worsened by global warming and India leaping on fascism as the answer to their problems.

who do you think is likely to nuke the other over water that will be in the fallout radius? Exactly how will this go down, because this honestly feels really shady to have people all 'well you know THOSE PEOPLE don't know how bad nukes are so they'll use them over something stupid like Kashmir any day now' when, ya know, there's only one country that has a record of nuking people so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Truman was a loving monster.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I think there's an idea in america that two nuclear powers cannot have a real fight without nukes flying, because our country has spent the last 80 years telling anyone who will listen that our country will nuke anyone who fights us.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
This is why Iran and NK needs nukes ASAP

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Palladium posted:

NK just showed off they have subs that can launch ballistic nukes. Iran could have a nuke in 4 months if they felt they needed it

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

sexpig by night posted:

who do you think is likely to nuke the other over water that will be in the fallout radius? Exactly how will this go down, because this honestly feels really shady to have people all 'well you know THOSE PEOPLE don't know how bad nukes are so they'll use them over something stupid like Kashmir any day now' when, ya know, there's only one country that has a record of nuking people so far.

It's mostly just that if the water situation gets bad enough that it becomes a survival thing. Like, whoops, most of the glaciers melted and the only way we can continue to provide water and power to our citizens is by rerouting what little water is left to us! Something like that. It's the most likely scenario, especially with global warming making it much worse. The Middle East is also going to be facing this problem tbh, and we've already seen bits of it with Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan fighting earlier this year. China is also facing water stress, it's why you've seen them put a ton of material into the Indian border regions; they need to make sure that they protect their sources.

Palladium posted:

Iran's been focused on breakout ability rather than actually having nuclear weapons. I've talked about the fatwah here before, but that's still in place and I don't think it'll change until Khamenei dies

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

30.5 Days posted:

I think there's an idea in america that two nuclear powers cannot have a real fight without nukes flying, because our country has spent the last 80 years telling anyone who will listen that our country will nuke anyone who fights us.

We paid the rand corporation millions of dollars to come up with the prisoners dillema and it took a Soviet officer a couple of minutes to decide that the extinction of the planet with nuclear weapons was not good.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

AnimeIsTrash posted:

We paid the rand corporation millions of dollars to come up with the prisoners dillema and it took a Soviet officer a couple of minutes to decide that the extinction of the planet with nuclear weapons was not good.

"America spent millions of dollars inventing MAD so they could prevent nuclear war. The Russians used a Petrov."

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

AnimeIsTrash posted:

RAND et al can't be full of poo poo otherwise why do we keep paying them billions of dollars

*insert ANA vs Taliban energy*

Fortaleza posted:

Wonder if a lot of sites are like that because of Japanese font rendering. It always makes a page look dated regardless of the rest of the content and afaik it’d take a shitload of effort to make a fancy new typeset that fits the branding

Chinese exists buddy

Palladium has issued a correction as of 06:49 on Oct 31, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

AnimeIsTrash posted:

It seems weird to assume that 3 nations that have never used a nuke or given any indication that will would suddenly do so.

you dont understand theyre not white countries which makes them suspect in a very non racist way i will explain in my upcoming opinion piece for the new york times

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Palladium posted:

Chinese exists buddy

not exactly a rebuttal given that china is apparently capable of doing all sorts of crazy poo poo no one else wants to do anymore since making new things is hard

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Grapplejack posted:

It's mostly just that if the water situation gets bad enough that it becomes a survival thing. Like, whoops, most of the glaciers melted and the only way we can continue to provide water and power to our citizens is by rerouting what little water is left to us! Something like that. It's the most likely scenario, especially with global warming making it much worse. The Middle East is also going to be facing this problem tbh, and we've already seen bits of it with Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan fighting earlier this year. China is also facing water stress, it's why you've seen them put a ton of material into the Indian border regions; they need to make sure that they protect their sources.

i thought the majority of water came from rainclouds hitting the south/west side of the himalayas or something, not glaciers

edit: oh yeah, and i thought china's moves on the india border were reactions to india aligning closer to america? vaguely remember a RWN episode about american planes getting to refuel at indian bases.

crepeface has issued a correction as of 07:35 on Oct 31, 2021

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
China pressured India on the border in 19 because India started a skirmish with Pakistan prior to that with 2 cross border fights and India made major change to the dispute region with new constitution (revocation of article 370 which gave the residences in the dispute region special status). There are other minor reasons but IMO these 2 reasons were the most important one.

It has nothing to do with water (because the BJP doesn't plan that far ahead.)

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
wait for it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV3fyWuAReY

Some Guy TT posted:

not exactly a rebuttal given that china is apparently capable of doing all sorts of crazy poo poo no one else wants to do anymore since making new things is hard
i also noticed that here. i don't know what they're saying but it's think it's like "i am a gigantic radio telescope." i think "believe in us" is one of the slogans. i like it when the T.V. addresses me directly. it's like that comedy AFSCME ad. "hey, you!" what, me? "yeah! we're talking to you, buster! so while you're sitting around with your finger up your rear end, we're doing all this stuff!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q8z_y0Ye7U

BrutalistMcDonalds has issued a correction as of 10:36 on Oct 31, 2021

thatfatkid
Feb 20, 2011

by Azathoth

Alchenar posted:

The point of the intimidation isn't even to generate espionage assets (although they do do that incidentally). The point is to send the message 'Just because you live in a free country do not for a moment think about exercising those freedoms in a way the CCP disapproves of'. It isn't about creating a fifth column overseas, it's about preventing the Chinese diaspora from forming any sort of polity that would indicate to the world and at home that the CCP and the Chinese people are not one and the same.

lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/SilingWu/status/1454750258567782400?t=QXWuFx3y1vbO7ENxlIomxw&s=19

Mirello
Jan 29, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I know, nyt sucks, but this article is hilarious:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/30/world/asia/japan-election-fumio-kishida.html

It's basically every single friend and colleague of the current japanese PM calling him a boring piece of poo poo, with no charisma. amazing that they don't even hide their names. japanese politics is so awful.

Lyndon LaRouche
Sep 5, 2006

by Azathoth
The LDP might lose outright majority in Japan, but they will at least retain control of government in coalition with Komeito.

Nothing to see here, lol.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Mirello posted:

I know, nyt sucks, but this article is hilarious:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/10/30/world/asia/japan-election-fumio-kishida.html

It's basically every single friend and colleague of the current japanese PM calling him a boring piece of poo poo, with no charisma. amazing that they don't even hide their names. japanese politics is so awful.

so, its america but without the populace obsessed over dumb decorum?

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/TaoJiangScholar/status/1454536830452371459

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

:hmmyes:
Whoever relies on the Tao in governing men
doesn't try to force issues
or defeat enemies by force of arms.
For every force there is a counterforce.
Violence, even well intentioned,
always rebounds upon oneself.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Palladium posted:

without the populace obsessed over dumb decorum?

This sounds exactly the opposite of everything I've ever heard about Japan.

quote:

His self-effacement undergirds a political pragmatism that allows him to pivot when certain ideas grow unpopular or he needs to cater to a particularly powerful constituency. More often than not, that constituency comes from within the party, not the public.

Japanese PMs usually last a couple of years so this sounds fine for a guy who'll probably be gone before COVID.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 16:20 on Oct 31, 2021

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/11/05/national/history/philippines-man-leads-lonely-quest-honor-kamikaze-pilots/

quote:

Seventy years after Japan formed its first kamikaze unit in the Philippines, one local resident remains adamant that the suicide pilots were noble warriors who should be honored in the nation their military occupied.

Daniel Dizon, 84, is co-founder of the Kamikaze Memorial Society of the Philippines and a driving force behind several memorials erected in the pilots’ honor in Pampanga, north of Manila.

He noted that many people disagree with him, but said he believes his achievements will linger beyond his lifetime.

“I have already passed it on to my children,” Dizon said of the kamikaze museum he has set up at his home in Angeles City, Pampanga.

He was speaking as a reporter toured the displays of military memorabilia, some of which was left in the area by Japanese troops.

“My main purpose is to memorialize the kamikazes” in life, before they took off from airstrips for the final time, he said. “At least there I succeeded, and of course in explaining to students who come here that we can learn a lesson or two from the loyalty of the kamikaze.”

Dizon remembers seeing Japanese soldiers stationed in Pampanga when he was a child. However, it was not until the mid-1960s that he came to study the history of Japan’s kamikaze force, and his curiosity grew into a passion. It stemmed from the time he read “The Divine Wind,” a book by two former officers of the Imperial Japanese Navy.

In 1941, Japanese forces invaded the Philippines, which was then a commonwealth under the protection of the United States. Japanese troops occupied the nation until their defeat by U.S.-led Allied forces in 1945.

When the U.S. forces returned to the Philippines in October 1944, the Imperial Japanese Navy organized the very first kamikaze unit in Mabalacat, a town near Angeles, to attack the U.S. Navy.

The first kamikaze sortie took off from the Mabalacat West Airfield on Oct. 21, 1944, but failed to locate targets. Four days later, a mission from the Mabalacat East Airfield, led by Lt. Yukio Seki, hit U.S. targets in Leyte Gulf in the central Philippines.

“I have experienced the war. I have seen a lot of atrocities and the inhuman behavior of many Japanese soldiers. But when I read ‘The Divine Wind,’ it’s so different. It is something that is deep, very deep,” Dizon said.

“It kept me awake nights after reading the book until, finally, I decided to do something for the memory of the kamikaze pilots.”

He cites their discipline and self-sacrifice as the embodiment of nobility.

“I saw them as personifications of the ancient samurai warriors of Japan, and not the ordinary soldiers who committed atrocities here. That alone prodded me to memorialize them . . . in the area where they were organized, which is Mabalacat.”

Having read the book, Dizon set about collecting memorabilia. His artifacts now include a kamikaze pilot’s uniform, an anti-aircraft cannon, a machine gun, Japan’s wartime flag and other items recovered from former airfields in Mabalacat and from houses that had been occupied by Japanese soldiers.

The makeshift museum at his home also includes sketches he has made of some known kamikaze pilots, and the text of letter a kamikaze pilot wrote to his daughter.

In 1974, Dizon’s activism bore fruit with the erection of the first kamikaze monument in the Philippines, at the former site of the Mabalacat East Airfield.

In 1991, when nearby Mount Pinatubo erupted, the monument was buried in ash. It was replaced in 2000 by a wall engraving featuring the Philippine and Japanese flags.

Four years later, to mark the 60th anniversary of the organization of the kamikaze unit, a statue of a kamikaze pilot was placed before the wall.

At the Mabalacat West Airfield site, where a kamikaze tunnel that was used as an air raid bunker has been preserved, Dizon’s efforts resulted in the creation of another memorial in 2004.

Dizon said a majority of local people opposed his efforts, particularly because his activism began at a time when the nation was still broadly anti-Japanese, smarting at the memory of soldiers’ abuses during the occupation.

Moreover, he himself had initial misgivings because suicide is against the teachings of his Catholic faith.

He said he accepts the criticism, but hopes that one day more Filipinos will come to appreciate the central quality of the kamikaze fighters: loyalty to their country.

When students come to see the exhibits he lectures them on patriotism. He said he understands why few Filipinos share his views and why some even condemn him for his actions, but said they would not if they knew the “whole story” of the pilots. He vows to “continue this endeavor because it’s part of the history of this place.”

Ricardo Jose, a professor of history at the University of the Philippines who specializes in Japan-Philippine relations, disagrees with Dizon’s views.

“Well, they can be considered noble, but only from the Japanese perspective. In this particular case, if we see it from Filipino eyes, they were fighting for their country. And at that time, we were fighting against Japan,” Jose said. “It has that kind of inconsistent ring to it, in the sense that, firstly, we don’t even know who our heroes of the war are, and we hardly memorialize them.”

Jose believes it’s wrong to try to convince Filipinos of the nobility of the kamikaze, although he said there is little risk of most Filipinos believing it.

But there is one message from the kamikaze period that people should appreciate, he said.

“If they were willing to die for their country we should be willing to die for ours in the same way. But the Filipino mentality is not that kind of thing . . . we never really close our door on survival. So I don’t think that phenomenon strikes a common chord in the Philippines,” Jose said.

“We can understand them, yes. Maybe, we can appreciate them a little better. But to say that that’s something to be inculcated in Filipinos, I don’t think so,” he said.

what the gently caress is wrong with people

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

lol

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

the ultimate cuck

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Staying in the airplane when it hits the [carrier]? Say what you want about it…not cowardly

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Mantis42 posted:

Staying in the airplane when it hits the [carrier]? Say what you want about it…not cowardly

People always say there are mitigating factors such as, not enough fuel for the return trip, did anyone fly sober back then? etc.

But being on the winning side is cool, and not drowning in seawater and shaming your ancestors, also cool.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/1454820516942991360

the international jokerfication continues

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
the international j—oker

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Centrist Committee posted:

the international j—oker

The only clown to be kicked out of 100 countries

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

30.5 Days posted:

I mean Pakistan is explicitly clear that it has a first strike policy so in the case of a hot war its a matter of who presses the button that turns Northern India into a glowing crater. As much as I hate the current government in India and think delhi is a shithole I don't want it glowing in the dark.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://mobile.twitter.com/Johnny_suputama/status/1454833739083751426

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Al-Saqr posted:

Australians are pretty much the bottom tier of the white world under the New Zealanders.

Traditionally speakin the irish are at the bottom of the white pile.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
why is japan a one party state. i've never really bothered to look into it because i'm a lazy oval office

as far as climate change goes though https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wet-bulb_temperature is the more critical thing in terms of an area being liveable outside of constant natural disasters and guess what Pakistan is hitting it already

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's not a one party state, it's just a parliamentary system that results in a one party state like western democracies.

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
japan has been optimized for best party rule

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Lostconfused posted:

It's not a one party state, it's just a parliamentary system that results in a one party state like western democracies.

the LDP seem markedly less insane than our tories have ever been though

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Jose posted:

the LDP seem markedly less insane than our tories have ever been though

thats mostly because your tories are too insane even for america. like jesus christ how could you elect margerine thatcher. how stupid can a human being get

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Jose posted:

why is japan a one party state. i've never really bothered to look into it because i'm a lazy oval office

the CIA propped up the LDP after the war against the left and japanese electoral districts are insanely weighted towards rural areas, leading to decades of pork barrel clientelism

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It sounds like they are too bland and vanilla to have any ideology. They just cater to whatever voting blocks that can get them elected. So they're pretty much a centrist party with some reforms when needed. The parliamentary system kinda makes that happen when a party can't maintain a majority but will get dragged one way or another by the opposition.

Edit: also yeah it really just sounds like anyone interested in challenging the status quo is either marginalized or dead. While everyone else is just comfortable being a cog in the ruling apparatus. So the country is just still kind of coasting in terms of politics.

Lostconfused has issued a correction as of 19:58 on Oct 31, 2021