Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prolonged Panorama
Dec 21, 2007
Holy hookrat Sally smoking crack in the alley!

The layout of movie Arrakeen/environs is a little muddled - the main spaceport seems like it's pretty far from the city, but later Leto points it out to Gurney as if it's within the city. Maybe he's just pointing in its general direction.

The final battle doesn't have to take place particularly close to Arrakeen, just near the spaceport where the Emperor's ship/palace lands. Somehow removing a natural barrier to let the storm/worms in seems like a mandatory plot point. Although if they have the Emperor just take over the Arrakeen palace instead the battle could take place within the city, and removing the artificial wall we saw in the film would then be the tactical trick that lets the Fremen win. We've already seen that there are spots on the surrounding mountains that let you look down on the city. It doesn't quite solve the issue of letting the storm in, assuming they work that in there as well. I'd be sad to lose the design of the Imperial ship, but at this point I think we've got contradictory signals - the space port is away from the city, which points to a novel-like space port finale with the Emperor's landed ships, but the only named Shield Wall is an artificial barrier right next to the city, which might indicate they're moving the action to the city itself. Maybe we'll get a two-parter, with both the mountains and the city wall needing to be breached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
https://twitter.com/hyenasandgin/status/1453500452683849730

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The shield wall as such (geological feature) isn’t mandatory, but there needs to be some reason why the Fremen can’t just run Arrakeen over. Otherwise they’d just do that instead of sit in the desert and talk about it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ulf posted:

Pretty sure there was a “CHOAM Gang” / “witches get sietches” gang tag a few hundred pages back somewhere.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Drone posted:

The thought of Brian Herbert and KJA getting producer credits on a Dune movie would just ruin me

I already have one failson in a beloved franchise with eugene roddenberry, I don't need another

Erm. Don't watch the end credits friend. :(

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I doubt we get a Jamis funeral. It really does nothing for the plot and introduces what’s likely going to be kind of a trigger plot point that I could easily see them dropping and that’s Jamis‘s wife and Paul taking ownership of the family sort of. I could easily see that being a patriarchy problem that ends up on the editing room floor.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

If I'm remembering the film correctly he doesn't say the shield wall is a city construction but rather he's talking about the shield wall as the thopters pass over it and as soon as he's done talking the camera pans downward in a sort of BR 2049 city shot, so I think it's just easy to misinterpret.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They got pretty far in part one

You have to see in part two : spice agonies , riding the worm , mother loving snakes eating saudauker , they killed my son

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

I loved how DUNC made riding the worm look like the dude was going 100mph and holding on for dear life with his cloak in the wind like extreme skports rather than

or god forbid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WVqXE9ZY5wk

the worm can't submerge yo, but that doesn't mean that 90% of its body mass would be on top of the sannnnd :argh:

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
imagine bringing a lazgun to a worm fight

Bubblyblubber
Nov 17, 2014

Jokerpilled Drudge posted:

imagine bringing a lazgun to a worm fight

When all you have is a Duncan with a lasgun, all problems look like a dickless worm

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I loved how DUNC made riding the worm look like the dude was going 100mph and holding on for dear life with his cloak in the wind like extreme skports

e: I'll take surfing a over looking like you're driving a giant stagecoach any day.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 31, 2021

threelemmings
Dec 4, 2007
A jellyfish!

kiimo posted:

I doubt we get a Jamis funeral. It really does nothing for the plot and introduces what’s likely going to be kind of a trigger plot point that I could easily see them dropping and that’s Jamis‘s wife and Paul taking ownership of the family sort of. I could easily see that being a patriarchy problem that ends up on the editing room floor.

It introduces the fremens precision engineering, how deep the ecological dream of the fremen goes as they would die before they touch the cistern, and Paul's first time face to face with death. You could rewrite harah and move a lot of that other stuff around but I'd argue a lot that goes on in the death ceremony is kind of core to Paul becoming part of the fremen

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

I'm always lol at this because it looks like he's using my elementary school jump ropes as reins

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I quite enjoyed the large cast production of Dune, which is the best audiobook version of Messiah?

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The Bloop posted:

I'm always lol at this because it looks like he's using my elementary school jump ropes as reins

it just occurred to me how little sense it makes that you could pry up a big enough part of a sandworms hide to bother it with your hands, it would be like trying to tickle a building

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i thought it was the sand under their scales or plates or w/e that irritated them, so even a tiny crack would be good enough

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be pseudoscientific. Maybe it lets the furnace-like heat out and it melts sand causing friction? It'd be tough to stand next to a cracked open furnace like that though.

Maybe the worms get some sort of infection from sand plankton or an imported species and their genetic memory keeps open wounds above sand.

Also, is there a quote of how hard the scales are? Maybe worms just aren't as armored as I remember and they are always portrayed as too dragon-y instead of like earth worms.

It's all speculation anyways, although a whale attacked with a harpoon often won't dive, paradoxically. It will pull and stay near the surface. Perhaps there's some Moby Dick influence I've missed?

"What is the name of the early Arabic Muslim prophet that lives in the desert?"
"Ishmael"
"Call me Ishmael"

:monocle:

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Some time ago- 3,156 years ago precisely- having little or no hope in my golden path, and nothing particular to interest me on Kaitain, I thought I would encyst myself within a living integument of soundtrout and see beyond the watery part of the world.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Soul Dentist posted:

I can't think of any reason that wouldn't be pseudoscientific. Maybe it lets the furnace-like heat out and it melts sand causing friction? It'd be tough to stand next to a cracked open furnace like that though.

Maybe the worms get some sort of infection from sand plankton or an imported species and their genetic memory keeps open wounds above sand.

Also, is there a quote of how hard the scales are? Maybe worms just aren't as armored as I remember and they are always portrayed as too dragon-y instead of like earth worms.

It's all speculation anyways, although a whale attacked with a harpoon often won't dive, paradoxically. It will pull and stay near the surface. Perhaps there's some Moby Dick influence I've missed?

"Ishmael"
"Call me Ishmael"

whales come to surface to breath, so they can't dive to the depths straight after

and whales aren't killed by the harpoons, but by the lances

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Arbite posted:

I quite enjoyed the large cast production of Dune, which is the best audiobook version of Messiah?
I think the full-cast audiobook of Dune is somewhat abridged.
To me the best versions will always be the ones narrated by Scott Brick alone.

Although I also have a soft spot for the Danish audiobook produced in 1981 and narrated by Elise Munch-Petersen, because that was my introduction to Dune as a child.

Soul Dentist posted:

"Ishmael"
"Call me Ishmael"

The book (or the appendix/encyclopedia, I forget) gives the answer - they separate the overlapping scales, each several feet big, with the Makerhooks which causes the worm to roll up so as to avoid getting sand in underneath the scales - this is also what keeps the sandworm on the surface. Normally, a worm will travel with one side down, and on an old worm you can typically see which side this is.

Heat (and oxygen) is vented from the rear of the worms, and even Fremen children know to avoid this area.
"You think it's air you're breathing?" "It's worm farts!"

One thing that the visual adaptations fail to address is how the spice harvester attack makes it possible to mount the sandworm when attracted by a thumper.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Oct 31, 2021

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Dune's world is endlessly bizarre, but it has just enough of reality's texture that our brains are lulled into puzzling out details like worm ecology or plastics manufacturing infrastructure.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Enjl3afGNJc

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Tim Hortons New Hampshire.

I'm here all week

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Finally saw the movie in IMAX. It was very good.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Yeah, IMAX was a great experience.I really loved how all the spaceships have such bizzare shapes; everything looks bizarrely top heavy and wrong. I felt like half the movie was people walking out of bizarrely designed spacecraft.

I'm disappointed they didn't actually show the Heighliners folding space. With all the advancements in special effects, I would think that was something they would want to show off.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
HOUSE ATRIEDES FTW!!!!!!!!!!!

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

Tree Bucket posted:

Dune's world is endlessly bizarre, but it has just enough of reality's texture that our brains are lulled into puzzling out details like worm ecology or plastics manufacturing infrastructure.

People have developed the unimaginable technology to fold time and space accurately and repeatedly.

They use this technology to fly to other worlds and hit each other with swords, because reasons.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I;m sad they didn't have the dinner scene

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
Does stillegar come to house Atriedes on arrakis in the book. I remeber spitting on the table thing but was that stillgar? I thought they first meet stillgar in that scene in the desert where jessica "bests" a freeman but im not sure.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit
Lady jessica

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
He does yes.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Vampire Panties posted:

They use this technology to fly to other worlds and hit each other with swords, because of expensive worm poop.

epic 2012 username
Mar 26, 2021

by Hand Knit

Flakey posted:

He does yes.

Interesting OP. I guess I didn't remeber it was him because I didn't know of his great import at the time....

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Vampire Panties posted:

People have developed the unimaginable technology to fold time and space accurately and repeatedly.

They use this technology to fly to other worlds and hit each other with swords, because reasons.

People hitting each other with swords is one of the great literary themes.

Sir Terry Pratchett posted:

And even though it was "The Lord of the Rings," in those days, "The
Lord of the Rings" wasn't exactly "The Lord of the Rings!" if you know
what I mean. It was a comparatively new book. It was assumed almost as a
matter of course that it wouldn't be any good and not a proper book and
so they put it on one side for me to read. So I started off reading
fantasy but then there wasn't much of it, so I started reading folklore
and mythology because, you know, what the hell, they're pretty much the
same things, guys with helmets hitting one another with swords and I read
all the folklore and mythology that I could find in the library and then
I started reading all the ancient history because, you know, it was guys
with helmets hitting one another with swords and some kind of magic
happened. One book led to another book and I think I read most of the
nonfiction shelves by in large, at least the ones that had anything
interesting to say. So while I read quite a lot of science fiction and
whatever fantasy there was around, an awful lot of my reading career has
been reading nonfiction.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Panfilo posted:

Yeah, IMAX was a great experience.I really loved how all the spaceships have such bizzare shapes; everything looks bizarrely top heavy and wrong. I felt like half the movie was people walking out of bizarrely designed spacecraft.

I'm disappointed they didn't actually show the Heighliners folding space. With all the advancements in special effects, I would think that was something they would want to show off.

they sort of do but it's really subtle and easy to miss.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

threelemmings posted:

It introduces the fremens precision engineering, how deep the ecological dream of the fremen goes as they would die before they touch the cistern, and Paul's first time face to face with death. You could rewrite harah and move a lot of that other stuff around but I'd argue a lot that goes on in the death ceremony is kind of core to Paul becoming part of the fremen

You can show all this without the funeral. Don't get too attached to it is my suggestion

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

uber_stoat posted:

they sort of do but it's really subtle and easy to miss.

Yeah it’s weird. It’s like the heighliner was acting as a bridge between two distant points that you then fly through. It’s the scene where the Bene Gesserit ship is approaching Caladan. There’s a shot where you’re looking through the heighliner and at one end of the hole is a totally different space.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

epic 2012 username posted:

Does stillegar come to house Atriedes on arrakis in the book. I remeber spitting on the table thing but was that stillgar? I thought they first meet stillgar in that scene in the desert where jessica "bests" a freeman but im not sure.

He comes to tell them that they better not show those Crysknives to anyone. This is also where you learn about Fremen water recycling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Re: wormriding

I know that they keep their open flaps topside, but the irritating part to me is why does sand bother sand worms?

They literally move through it and filter it internally! I know the answer is "science fiction" but it just seems wrong.