Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

I finished the main story of Maiden of Black Water and honestly I don't get the hate. Maybe the bonus missions(which seem to be a Ninja Giaden or DoA tie in) ramps up the poo poo, but mostly the game has been fine. Sure it's not the greatest Survival Horror of all time, and normal mode was easy enough that only died to the insta kill enemy at the end of chapter nine, but it hit the things I want from the genre. The mission structure worked well enough and kept it from having to much back tracking will still giving you the familiarity with the areas that works well for survival horror.
I'm also a sucker for having multiple PCs, even if the differences weren't that big, other than Ren not getting access to the lenses, since his burst isn't as good as the Crush lens.
Did they change anything from the Wii U release because I really expected worse from what I've heard about it. It just amounted to breast physics and the wet shirts which was barely noticeable. Am I just jaded , was it overblown or am I mixing it up with the remake of 2?

Over all I'm ok if this leads to the revitalization of the series, since it's from what I've seen a pretty decent showing.

I remember people making jokes about how it was dumb that they kept going back to the cursed mountain, but I see now that was just dumb people on the internet, since they have pretty clear motivations for it. Like the story isn't anything special but it's competent enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

It definitely benefits from the extra horsepower and no longer being tied to the Wii U tablet. It’s a solid survival horror. I just didn’t like it quite as much as the first four games, but I’m definitely enjoying it more than I did on Wii U.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hel posted:

I finished the main story of Maiden of Black Water and honestly I don't get the hate. Maybe the bonus missions(which seem to be a Ninja Giaden or DoA tie in) ramps up the poo poo, but mostly the game has been fine. Sure it's not the greatest Survival Horror of all time, and normal mode was easy enough that only died to the insta kill enemy at the end of chapter nine, but it hit the things I want from the genre. The mission structure worked well enough and kept it from having to much back tracking will still giving you the familiarity with the areas that works well for survival horror.
I'm also a sucker for having multiple PCs, even if the differences weren't that big, other than Ren not getting access to the lenses, since his burst isn't as good as the Crush lens.
Did they change anything from the Wii U release because I really expected worse from what I've heard about it. It just amounted to breast physics and the wet shirts which was barely noticeable. Am I just jaded , was it overblown or am I mixing it up with the remake of 2?

Over all I'm ok if this leads to the revitalization of the series, since it's from what I've seen a pretty decent showing.

I remember people making jokes about how it was dumb that they kept going back to the cursed mountain, but I see now that was just dumb people on the internet, since they have pretty clear motivations for it. Like the story isn't anything special but it's competent enough.

People generally aren't a fan of the mission based structure, how linear the game is and of course that plot twist with Miu I mentioned before. I broadly agree with the consensus that it's the weakest game but, it's still a solid horror game.

Other than that... nope.

I suspect it won't sell well though. Your chud types are mad that two bikini costumes are only in the original Japanese Wii U version, meanwhile Resetera last I saw was having a meltdown over how sexist and misogynistic the series is because Ryza's outfit is DLC. Add to this a barebones PC port and yeah, I don't think the sales will be strong enough to remake the previous games and make a sixth game. Shame.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Tired Moritz posted:

can some indie company just steal resident evil outbreak's gameplay? please

I really wish we could get a new Outbreak so bad, but at least we have OBSRV, a fan server you can connect to via emulator to play with other people, keeping it held down until then.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Mr. Fortitude posted:

People generally aren't a fan of the mission based structure, how linear the game is and of course that plot twist with Miu I mentioned before. I broadly agree with the consensus that it's the weakest game but, it's still a solid horror game.

I've seen multiple people mention that Miu twist, but I completely missed it, is it only in one ending or hidden in some note I missed?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Monoclinic posted:

I finally played through Dead Space, after years of having it sit in my Steam library. It looks pretty good at high res + high fps, for a 2008 game.

Overall I thought it was pretty good. I liked that all the UI displays and such are "in-world" and the zero G stuff was cool. The plot was sorta generic sci-fi spooks but not bad, and the devs did a good job with putting lots of details + lore into the world.

I played through only using the plasma cutter, which got a bit dull but it's just so good I never really felt the need to explore other weapons.

The gameplay also got repetitive, like it was padded out with various macguffins needing to be fixed to extend playtime.

I enjoyed my playthrough, but I figure I can probably skip the sequels of they are more of the same.

Definitely play DS2.
Not going to spoil it, but its on a space station, so civilian places to get creeped out on.
Dead Space is best for its audio to me, I would stop and listen to it in different places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W9BQXaMq0s

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

happyhippy posted:

Definitely play DS2.
Not going to spoil it, but its on a space station, so civilian places to get creeped out on.
Dead Space is best for its audio to me, I would stop and listen to it in different places.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W9BQXaMq0s

Thanks for the rec. I started a playthrough of DS2 yesterday because of responses to my post, and when I realized I must have bought it on sale years ago and already owned it. Fun and creepy so far!

Also got World of Horror and am greatly enjoying that game as well, love the aesthetic and retro feel.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!

Tired Moritz posted:

can some indie company just steal resident evil outbreak's gameplay? please

For what it’s worth there’s a mini franchise of indie games on steam literally called Outbreak that are attempting exactly this. The latest one seems like it’s gotten pretty close too! I haven’t played either but they do explicitly state that recreating the magic of outbreak is the goal.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Scorn put out another fantastically pissy update.

Ebb Software posted:

In this update, we will highlight the most common issues people have regarding this project and the reasoning behind some of our decisions. We have addressed some of these issues before but we will repeat them once more. Because, if you want to create something ambitious and consciously (or not so much) bite on something that you can barely chew (scope and production-wise), especially the first time around, you have to set up priorities and keep less important things to a minimum.

What were we doing since the latest trailer was released in October last year?

There is no big revelation here. We were just developing a game and that is nothing more to it than that. A year is not such a big period when it comes to game development. Some people really, really dislike us staying silent for such long periods. It’s that way by design for a few reasons. The only thing that will get the game out of the door faster is concentrating all the effort on development. That is our main priority.

There is a reason why big companies show CG trailers done by some other studio. They don’t want to interrupt the development team in the middle of production. CD Projekt RED had great PR for Cyberpunk 2077 but that didn’t help when the final game. Cyberpunk 2077 should’ve been delayed for a year, but the hype and the pressure from shareholders were more important. Maybe if they didn’t push their developers to create marketing content they could’ve put more time into fixing the game.

No amount of updates are going to make the game better, or make it come out sooner, quite the opposite. It’s just more tasks on the already enormous list of tasks to finish. It’s time-consuming to make your game look presentable to the public. That is done at the very end of the development process.

The problem of “Hype”

“Hype” can be a big problem if you need it at the beginning, but still need to work on a project for a considerable amount of time afterward. We didn’t do the marketing for the market, but for the potential investors. We are going to do proper marketing close to release. Presenting the game constantly just creates a vicious cycle. Every update creates anticipation, that turns into disappointment for some because the game is not out yet. We realize the frustration, but at the end of the day, we think it’s better to lay low and have most people put the game out of their minds than constantly bait them.

The reason we needed the hype, in the beginning, is rather simple. Let’s imagine that we live in some magical world where out of nowhere you just receive all the resources for the game you want to make as a completely unproven, new studio. In this magical scenario, the public wouldn’t know about our game because we wouldn’t announce it until 6 months before the release (whenever that may be) and then just have a steady stream of marketing (hype) up until release.

But in the reality we inhabit, nobody will even acknowledge you if they don’t see the “hype” upfront. This is why we showed the game (not some vain idea of showing off the work) and now we are stuck with the expectation to constantly feed the beast for years. We decided not to go that route, as we want to finish the game in the shortest time possible.

Yes, handling the time leading up to release is really bad on our end, but as much as our financial situation has improved we still have to dedicate resources to specific things, and we think that creating a good game should receive the overwhelming majority of our attention, rather than trying to constantly keep the marketing flames going. How we spent the time leading up to release should not be of consequence on the release date. Only the quality of the game will.

It’s a strange thing, if some didn’t know the game existed they would enjoy the 6 months of marketing and then the game, but now the very knowledge of its existence feels unbearable to them. Even if it turns out to be a great game they simply won’t be able to enjoy it because my god they knew about it for so long. Some people just burn out on the hype. If we released it on time and it sucked they would forget about it in a day.

Development hell

Development hell is a term that is thrown around quite often. It should be used on projects that changed their core idea or scope mid-dev and can’t adjust to. That doesn’t apply to our products for the most part. In our case, a lot of mistakes were made and will make more in the future, but it’s a normal process for a new, inexperienced team. Everything that was done up until the middle of 2018 has been reworked, 90% of it completely scrapped. It’s about making it what we want it to be, not releasing it just because we gave some arbitrary release date. If it’s not ready, it’s not ready. Why would people want to play something that the developers think it’s still not up to par?

Microsoft, Kowloon, Kepler deals

People are wary of big companies and for a good reason most of the time, but in our case, it was nothing but support from everyone involved. We are even surprised by how smooth everything has been. Some think that influx of resources would create more problems and that we should finish the game with as little resources.

Creating an interesting and engaging game requires time and resources. Period. Money is what allows us to create something of quality. Enthusiasm alone can only take you so far. We are obliged to periodically give them updates on the progress, but the builds that we are sending them are the builds we are making anyways. These builds don’t have to be polished as industry people understand unfinished builds (games in development). For the general public things need to be polished. That is a major difference. Some people just want to see the progress and don’t care that it’s work in progress, but others will judge it as a finished product.

We hope to create a great game and our backers will receive that great game, that is the bottom line and our main goal. We will get there sooner with as few distractions as possible. If people want to stay with us till the end, great, if they don’t want to, we still offer a way out.

Release plans

For the record, yes, the game has slipped into 2022 and we will have an official confirmation of the delay on the 10th of December. It was supposed to be announced in October, but circumstances out of our control postponed it. If it turns out not to be on the 10th by our or someone else’s will, don’t hold it too much against us.

And for the end, a bit of friendly advice: If lack of communication is so bothersome just ask for a refund and be done with it. It’s just a game. You can play it when it’s out if you are still interested.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
" If lack of communication is so bothersome just ask for a refund and be done with it. It’s just a game. You can play it when it’s out if you are still interested."

This is actually a fantastic line and I wish people would actually do this with tons of games, tbh.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It’s a somewhat antagonistic tone and I don’t really know the context for it, but they aren’t wrong in anything they are saying here.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
i finished the medium, its nowhere near as bad as some of you seemed to think... the ending and post credits scene are pretty poo poo i will grant you. going through the hound's world was also pretty boring, though i liked the look of it. i liked the look of the whole game, in fact. though the character faces could have used some work. the soundtrack was good too. there's barely any jump scares, unlike bloobers other titles

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

More like...The Pretty Good? :monocle:

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

There was a lot to the blowback against The Medium because Bloober hyped the everloving gently caress out of it and when it came out it was a somewhat subpar, bog standard horror game. The game was only mildly offensive but Bloober was so stuck up its own rear end that the hubris annoyed players.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If I got Akira Yamaoka to do new songs for my game I'd be hyping it up too

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

CuddleCryptid posted:

There was a lot to the blowback against The Medium because Bloober hyped the everloving gently caress out of it and when it came out it was a somewhat subpar, bog standard horror game. The game was only mildly offensive but Bloober was so stuck up its own rear end that the hubris annoyed players.

They’ve turned making mediocre games into an artform

Everything they make feels like it has this hard limit on quality, always reaching ‘interesting but nothing really stands out’ every time

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

I had multiple crashes and since I was playing it on game pass I had nothing invested in it so I uninstalled it and relegated it to the list of buggy games I can't be bothered to finish.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Hel posted:

I've seen multiple people mention that Miu twist, but I completely missed it, is it only in one ending or hidden in some note I missed?
It's been a couple years since I've played it, and I've yet to start the PC port, but I thought it was brought up pretty obviously....somewhere? Maybe it was a note, but I felt like it was actually just a cutscene at some point in the game where they were talking about Miu's backstory.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Lifeglug posted:

I had multiple crashes and since I was playing it on game pass I had nothing invested in it so I uninstalled it and relegated it to the list of buggy games I can't be bothered to finish.

i only had severe slowdown in like two parts for like 5 seconds, and some fps drops in earlier areas (but not later ones for some reason). i assume it was loading at the time, but the medium does a lot of those masked loading bits games like to do - like the SUSPICIOUS amount of narrow ledge shimmying and sliding through narrow passageways lol

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
The Medium relying on SUICIDE IS THE ONLY ANSWER and NAZI PEDOPHILIA RAPE AAAA is gauche enough, and that before Bloober's previous games being pretty strongly pulled from other titles and the second they get an 'original idea' (the two world system) they patent it all comes out to moving perception from 'these guys are at least trying even if their games are a bit poo poo' to 'gently caress these guys.'

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

discworld is all I read posted:

It's been a couple years since I've played it, and I've yet to start the PC port, but I thought it was brought up pretty obviously....somewhere? Maybe it was a note, but I felt like it was actually just a cutscene at some point in the game where they were talking about Miu's backstory.

It's more subtext I think. We know Miu is a Shadowborn and that Miku doesn't have long to live, we know Shadowborn are born from the union between the living and dead and we know Miku is still hung up over Mafuyu's death so you just put the pieces together.

I recently learned that Miu wasn't even supposed to be in the game. The game was originally going to focus on just Yuri and Ren but Nintendo mandated that Miku be included in the game in some way as they felt Fatal Frame 4 was too disconnected from the previous games and wanted 5 to have a more direct connection. Makoto Shibata compromised by creating Miu since he felt Miku's story was done. It also explains why Miu only has two chapters where she's playable. So it's kinda funny one of the biggest issues people have with the story was done at Nintendo's insistence and I honestly think the story would be massively improved and even pretty good if Miu either wasn't in the game, or her connection to Miku was left mysterious and ambiguous like Hisoka's connection to Rei from the third game.

Anyway speaking of which, Koei-Tecmo has a survey for MOBW.

https://www.gamecity.ne.jp/form/ffzero_na

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I filled it in and all my comments were Final Fantasy Warriors

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Prob should have made one 'port the others' rip

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Bogart posted:

The Medium relying on SUICIDE IS THE ONLY ANSWER and NAZI PEDOPHILIA RAPE AAAA is gauche enough, and that before Bloober's previous games being pretty strongly pulled from other titles and the second they get an 'original idea' (the two world system) they patent it all comes out to moving perception from 'these guys are at least trying even if their games are a bit poo poo' to 'gently caress these guys.'

I haven’t played The Medium because all the pushback surrounding it turned me off immediately, but isn’t their wild and innovative two world thing just that one mission in Dishonored 2 over a whole game, or am I misremembering their concept?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
far worse. it’s a persistent split screen where the two worlds exist simultaneously with little interaction between the two

somehow it was also optimized poorly enough to make the game extremely taxing on PC, don’t know what the console versions are like

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

That sounds both nauseating to play and a terrible unnecessary resource hog. The best of both worlds!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not on all the time and the PS5 version ran fine when I played it :v:

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 7, 2021

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Now we just need an adventure-game (minimal to no combat) that fleshes out Dishonored 2's time-travel mission to game-length.

Before Bloober somehow gets a patent on that too.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Nov 7, 2021

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Bussamove posted:

That sounds both nauseating to play and a terrible unnecessary resource hog. The best of both worlds!

Which is why it was pushed to help launch the new Xbox, because only the brand new system could render that stupid horseshit in the glory it was intended!

The dual world system could have been interesting but wasn't, because it wasn't empowering, but it also wasn't sufficiently disempowering. In Titanfall the dual world thing in that one level was great because you could use it to beat the poo poo out of the enemy and also dodge environmental hazards. In Silent Hill (which Medium was supposed to be cribbing from) the other world is something you are forced into as a hostile environment that is actually dangerous. But here you are just walking down an empty hallway, and then there is a ghost wall in the other world that blocks your way, so you have to take a short side trip to get rid of the wall that doesn't do anything to endanger you other than just block your path down a perfectly empty hallway.

They *patented* this system.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it also effectively chops your field of view in half, which is maybe not the best choice for a fixed-angle third-person game

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Apparently, the developer who made the Yume Nikki fangame rust released another game last year and I'm only now hearing about it! https://lol-rust.itch.io/milyabroken

Piss Witch
Oct 23, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

it also effectively chops your field of view in half, which is maybe not the best choice for a fixed-angle third-person game

Tbh wouldn’t that just make the resolution effective 4:3 or square which would actually be more in line with most fixed angle horror games?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Bogart posted:

Apparently, the developer who made the Yume Nikki fangame rust released another game last year and I'm only now hearing about it! https://lol-rust.itch.io/milyabroken

WHAT

teenage me loving loved rust and .flow and all that poo poo, im downloading this poo poo immediately

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Did anything ever come out of the bloober silent hill rumors y'all got worked up over?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not yet!

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Len posted:

Did anything ever come out of the bloober silent hill rumors y'all got worked up over?

Konami did confirm they have a partnership with them, but they later came out to say it is based on outdated info so it is not 100% certain they will make a silent hill (they probably will make a mediocre game, regardless of the ip)

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.
Cant wait for Bloober Team's Downpour 2.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I have it on good authority that Bloober Team has now been greenlighted to develop all the video games you loved as a kid and has vowed to destroy them all.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Manic depressive miner

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

Bloober Team's Jet Set Radio would be weird enough I'd kinds be into it though