Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
She’s going to look like a magical girl, but evil

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Julius CSAR posted:

She’s going to look like a magical girl, but evil

https://twitter.com/cubewatermelon/status/1453173058047553544

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Turns out Tessa is actually a huge Raiders fan, that's just how she dresses up on game day.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Cube, in that Patreon Post posted:

FIRST OFF THIS ISN'T TESSA LOL. I was drawing a Heavy Metal Magical Girl inspired by one of the patron requests, and then I realized her hair was falling the same way Tessa's does. This is not her goopsed form!! XD

Unfortunately I couldn't find any other art from the last month that seemed like it'd make a good bonus pape. I think there should be some more next time! *strange ambiguous winking*

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Turns out Tessa is actually a huge Raiders fan,

Well now we know why she's so depressed.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

I totally respect Mary and what she's going through and I empathize as someone who had a family member suffering from Lewy-body dementia. Any kind of degenerative disease is really brutal. I think she should take as much time as she needs and life comes first.

Simultaneously I have never been more :f5: over a webcomic in my life

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Here we go.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

i let out of a strong guffaw at how blunt she is about this

Also looks like the girl of white is clearing up the gutters a bit around her

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

We can see her eyes this time!

She is not jazzed to be giving Tessa magic wow

Undine's dream, for anyone who wants to look back at it again:
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-23

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

And in case it becomes relevant, here's the girl in white trying to interact with Tessa again
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-12-page-16
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-12-page-17

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I didn't realize this was going to be one big oof.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Sleepless Domain: A Series of Big Ooofs.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I was about to point out the lack of a sheen on her text as a possibility that this isn't our Girl In White, except is the same in the other Tessa scene with her.

Anyway, this feels like it is implying 2 things:

1. The Girl In White may not have an actual choice in who she gives powers to, if her looking like she does not want to do this here is any indication.

2. Desire, at the very least, may be accounted for in determining if you get the dream or not. We kind of see this with Cassidy's flashback as well.

If 2 is true, then it makes the whole celebrity culture around Magical Girls even more screwed up

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Unlucky7 posted:

I was about to point out the lack of a sheen on her text as a possibility that this isn't our Girl In White, except is the same in the other Tessa scene with her.

Anyway, this feels like it is implying 2 things:

1. The Girl In White may not have an actual choice in who she gives powers to, if her looking like she does not want to do this here is any indication.

2. Desire, at the very least, may be accounted for in determining if you get the dream or not. We kind of see this with Cassidy's flashback as well.

If 2 is true, then it makes the whole celebrity culture around Magical Girls even more screwed up

Re: 2, someone on Twitter pointed out that The Woman in White may not want girls to die but has no choice but to recruit new help, as it were, with Goops getting stronger. And so she only gives powers to girls who go willingly and WANT those powers. But the whole romanticization of Magical Girls means that girls aren't doing it to protect the city out of selflessness or heroism anymore, it's because they want the sort of fame and power and glamour built up around it. Not only that, but apparently you get an all-expenses-paid ride to the best school in the city and monetary compensation that a lot of families could really use (like Sylvia).

It makes sense that she wouldn't be happy to see her for that reason. Tessa is another girl who wants to become a magical girl for superficial reasons (fitting in with her friends, regaining power at the top of her teenage social structure, being Special and Gifted). Which, those are all understandable reasons, especially for a girl her age! But these girls are dying, often in truly horrible ways, and they're essentially child soldiers who are thrust into something they're completely unprepared for and can't easily back out of without receiving a ton of social pressure (see: Zoe). All because the media completely misrepresents what it's like to be a magical girl. TWIW is likely not happy about that.

You can see Tessa grimacing about this, too, with a poster from back in Chapter 6 recruiting magical girls. It's bright and friendly and says "you don't have to join the fight... but you can earn money while DEFENDING YOUR FAMILY AND FRIENDS!! :j:". She ends up tearing it down to discourage magical girls from going out there and fighting.

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-6-page-27

This could explain why she seemed to have a warmer demeanor towards Undine, and that Undine said "We talked about something... Something important..." Undine has never been much for fame or attention, so it's possible the desire in her heart to become a magical girl came from a genuine wish to protect people.

Unrelatedly, I don't think we've ever seen, like, fields of grass or anything. I wonder how livestock, food production, etc works. I feel like animals might be threatened by the presence of monsters that come out at night? What about crops?

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
We have seen a food garden on the school roof! Seems like it's all urban farming, which is wild.

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

They have eggs and burgers so there must be some regular farming happening there.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
You have predatory animals in the real world, too; probably the inner barrier also covers barns and chicken coops.

I think the idea with the rooftop gardens is that there just isn't enough space, so you have to use all of it that you can.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I assumed the rooftop garden was because it's apparently a somewhat common thing in Japanese schools and a huge trope in Japanese schoolgirl media (see: Beastars)

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

It’s interesting that the team were all friends before getting their powers. And Tessa feeling excluded and envious as one-by-one all the friends in her social circle got the dream before her. Definitely feels like a euphemism for something.

Are You There Woman in White? It’s Me, Tessa

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Maybe there's a cadre of magical girls who have the power to create meat, eggs, dairy and vegetables.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

nimby posted:

Maybe there's a cadre of magical girls who have the power to create meat, eggs, dairy and vegetables.

Ah, my favorite mahou shoujo, Chicken Chancellor

floofyscorp
Feb 12, 2007

I'm not sure which is weirder: the power to manifest living chickens, which you immediately kill to make food out of, or the power to manifest slabs of chicken-meat.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Gonzo as a magical girl.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

Wittgen posted:

Gonzo as a magical whatever.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

nimby posted:

Team Soylent.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Maybe I'm grasping at straws, here, but I feel like the pink silk is a bit of a visual callback to Tessa's nightmare in Chapter 12:

I also noticed that the magical girls are all wearing a featureless dress in their dream (that we've seen so far), which appears similar to the Woman in White's outfit. Not that we have much of a sample size, since we've only seen Tessa and Undine's dreams.

Tiny Myers fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Oct 29, 2021

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I think it might be intentional. When Undine passes back through to talk to White again, she's now transformed but I imagine in the "original" dream she was in that same gown she had falling through the water.
in the part just before this, all the girls carrying tessa were also in a simple dress.

The simple featureless dress might be the "default" and then customized by the user once given power.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
it's not the same dress - Tessa's is a strapless ballgown

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-6

That's interesting. The memory effect actually gave her a headache or something this time. And the Women in White couldn't seem to bring herself to look Tessa in the eyes as they were fuzzing out...

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm surprised we're actually seeing the Woman in White's eyes this time around. Every time we saw her before from Undine's point of view, her eyes were hidden in whiteness, like a inverse shadow beneath her hair.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

https://www.sleeplessdomain.com/comic/chapter-page-6

That's interesting. The memory effect actually gave her a headache or something this time. And the Women in White couldn't seem to bring herself to look Tessa in the eyes as they were fuzzing out...

Good catch. I only noticed Tessa pausing with her hand over her eyes for a moment, I didn't catch the fuzziness in her eyes in the next panel, or the fuzzy effect at the top and bottom of the headache panel itself.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The real reason she doesn't want to give Tessa magic:
https://twitter.com/dril/status/685244467213897728?lang=en

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

So we've now learned that both the woman in white chooses people to become magical girls (since that's her own wording for it) and that she does so in response to them calling out for it. Also that different people have different capacities for magic, so it's possible there's a lot of girls out there that badly want powers but won't get them because they just wouldn't be strong enough to be safe.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It's strange that we're seeing the memory effect in the dream itself, considering that this part of the dream is what magical girls always forget after and has been shown to be related to the memory stuff (like Undine's eyes fuzz over when she's trying to remember the end of the dream). I'm wondering if Tessa was about to say "Are you the Founder?". Like the memory stuff doesn't just pertain to The Woman In White but also figuring out the extent and specifics of who and what she is.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Tiny Myers posted:

It's strange that we're seeing the memory effect in the dream itself, considering that this part of the dream is what magical girls always forget after and has been shown to be related to the memory stuff (like Undine's eyes fuzz over when she's trying to remember the end of the dream). I'm wondering if Tessa was about to say "Are you the Founder?". Like the memory stuff doesn't just pertain to The Woman In White but also figuring out the extent and specifics of who and what she is.

That's more or less what I assumed - that it was still in effect to prevent that particular connection being made. Possibly in the dream she can't say 'The Founder.'

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Actually, given the only person in there is them and her, and they dont usually remember their dream at all anyway, is it possible the additional eye fog effect is also meant to keep the Woman In White uninformed of something as well as keep others from realizing certain facts?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
panel three is viscerally unsettling to me

What exact part of Tessa's question got neatly snipped out of her mind so that it leaves what's left by panel 4?

If that's how the memetic censor works, it's be obviously noticeable IRL - people halting mid-sentence and such

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Presumably the censor itself is also censored

Ocean of Milk
Jun 25, 2018

oh yeah
It seems obvious to me that this is not at all what Tessa's actual dream was, but instead all staged by goops to tilt her (even further).

a computing pun
Jan 1, 2013
Well, it certainly could (or just as easily could not) be within Goops's ability to show Tessa a fake dream. But this one seems entirely in keeping with what we know about Tessa, so I don't see any reason why it couldn't be true. And if Goops can get the result she desires (whatever exactly that is) by showing Tessa the truth then why bother making up an entire fake dream out of whole cloth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
I hadn't noticed that this chapter isn't numbered. Curious...