Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Lol man Dice's Wikipedia article is sad. He's done like 1-2 things through the 2010's, and it just stops in 2018.

This is the entirety of his "In Popular Culture" section.

On the third season Murphy Brown episode "Brown and Blue," Murphy reluctantly is made to interview a rising yet crudely controversial comedian, Tony Rocket (Michael Chiklis), whose character is loosely modeled on Clay's "The Diceman" and his material during the height of his popularity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Price Check
Oct 9, 2012
Dice got some mild Oscar buzz for A Star Is Born and also got good reviews in Blue Jasmine. He may be washed up as a comic, but he's rebounded fine from his nadir in the mid-00s.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I feel like Dice would really fit in with the Joe Rogan crowd but he's too old.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

gently caress this ref

oops wrong thread

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Bonzo posted:

I feel like Dice would really fit in with the Joe Rogan crowd but he's too old.

He's too old also in the sense that he's stuck in the 80s. He probably doesn't "get" podcasts or "the email" or "interwebs".

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

beep by grandpa posted:

gently caress this ref

oops wrong thread

No this is the correct thread. Scott did not complete those pushups.

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

gently caress this ref

oops wrong thread

Hello yoohooo

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

beep by grandpa posted:

gently caress this ref

oops wrong thread

I demand traction

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

FINE if you're wondering!

dude got fired on live tv ppv https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1454498006871445510?s=20

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Szyznyk posted:

Whenever my little girl is watching Dave and Ava and Hickory Dickory Dock comes on I have to watch myself.

Sometimes the bit pops into my head where it starts with "So I got my tongue up this chick's rear end, and she's like 'Do I know you?'"

Szyznyk
Mar 4, 2008

prefect posted:

Sometimes the bit pops into my head where it starts with "So I got my tongue up this chick's rear end, and she's like 'Do I know you?'"

“She said ‘Gimme 10 inches and hurt me’, so I hosed her twice and hit her in the head with a brick. Oh!”

Goddamn Nora Dunn was right.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Szyznyk posted:

“She said ‘Gimme 10 inches and hurt me’, so I hosed her twice and hit her in the head with a brick. Oh!”

Goddamn Nora Dunn was right.

I wasn't sure what you were referring to, but then I looked it up and read a whole interview about SNL with her. Pretty great stuff.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Ba ba booey loves teen anal

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

My wife was in the shower the other day complaining that there was no cold water.

That would mark the one and only time I picture a Richard call instead of picturing, y'know... my wife, in the shower.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I wasn't sure what you were referring to, but then I looked it up and read a whole interview about SNL with her. Pretty great stuff.

There was an interview with, I think, Jon Lovitz a few years ago where he gives a different point of view. Nora was near the end of her contact and hadn't been on air very much at the time. In fact, she wasn't appearing in any sketches that week. So when she announced this, the rest of the cast was pissed. Many of them were not thrilled with Dice being a guest either but Nora's decision made them all look like they were all OK with it.

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

There was a guy in my high school, a big loud rear end in a top hat who thought he was a comedian and did obnoxious impressions of the all the most offensive bits from Sam Kinison, Eddie Murphy, and of course Dice. I sat next to this dude in class and endured him doing the whole nursery rhyme bit every day thinking man this Dice guy must really suck.

Then the SNL appearance and surrounding controversy happened and I watched it out of curiosity and I remember thinking it was funny as hell. His monologue was insane. People were booing and heckling which never happened on SNL and there was an intensely hostile vibe. At one point Dice responded to a heckler with “yeah, I bet you’re one of these guys who gets off hanging around public bathrooms sniffing other guys’ crap all day” and the audience didn’t know how to respond. As I recall, when the episode was rerun, they edited out that line.

The only actual sketch I remember is one with him and Jon Lovitz doing this goofy slapstick scene from Raging Bull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAsGtkBl74

I don’t think I heard anything from Dice again until around 1997 when I first started listening to the HSS and Dice and Howard had that brutal fight over the phone and Dice came off as completely pathetic.

Edit: Howard’s Dice bashing went on for weeks after that fight and included Wood Yi doing nursery rhymes about how washed up he was.

Ralph Hurley fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 31, 2021

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

i drive a big white cadillac
and i get around
if you wanna know the facts
i can be found
where its at
in DC town
i got howard stern on the phone
i got hillry clinton all alone
and i got i ride a big white cadillac

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

parthenocarpy posted:

i drive a big white cadillac
and i get around
if you wanna know the facts
i can be found
where its at
in DC town
i got howard stern on the phone
i got hillry clinton all alone
and i got i ride a big white cadillac

lol Artie's laughing during this is the best

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Ralph Hurley posted:

There was a guy in my high school, a big loud rear end in a top hat who thought he was a comedian and did obnoxious impressions of the all the most offensive bits from Sam Kinison, Eddie Murphy, and of course Dice. I sat next to this dude in class and endured him doing the whole nursery rhyme bit every day thinking man this Dice guy must really suck.

Then the SNL appearance and surrounding controversy happened and I watched it out of curiosity and I remember thinking it was funny as hell. His monologue was insane. People were booing and heckling which never happened on SNL and there was an intensely hostile vibe. At one point Dice responded to a heckler with “yeah, I bet you’re one of these guys who gets off hanging around public bathrooms sniffing other guys’ crap all day” and the audience didn’t know how to respond. As I recall, when the episode was rerun, they edited out that line.

The only actual sketch I remember is one with him and Jon Lovitz doing this goofy slapstick scene from Raging Bull.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndAsGtkBl74

I don’t think I heard anything from Dice again until around 1997 when I first started listening to the HSS and Dice and Howard had that brutal fight over the phone and Dice came off as completely pathetic.

Edit: Howard’s Dice bashing went on for weeks after that fight and included Wood Yi doing nursery rhymes about how washed up he was.

Did he do a TV series where he played a normal Dad and completely dropped the "Dice" character? Or did I dream that?I do remember seeing his comeback special on HBO and he completely bombed. He ended up lighting cigarette (after admitting he quit years ago), and brought of the Dice act out.

Dice's act is very dated but it seems odd to me that people poo poo on him, but think Sam Kinison was the greatest of all time. It might be that Sam's tragic death earns him some sympathy but if he were alive today I guarantee he'd be a huge right-wing comedian and people would be quick to dismiss him.

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
the day the laughter died is one of the best stand up albums of all time

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

Bonzo posted:

Did he do a TV series where he played a normal Dad and completely dropped the "Dice" character? Or did I dream that?

Yeah, Dice tried to do his own ripoff of Married With Children called Bless This House and it tanked in one season.

Of course it doesn't help when you use a notorious R rated comic and put him on CBS prime time.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

John Romero posted:

the day the laughter died is one of the best stand up albums of all time

Agreed. I’m not a fan of Dice, but this album is just a masterpiece.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftMb7wLrqsw

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

nate fisher posted:

Agreed. I’m not a fan of Dice, but this album is just a masterpiece.

I'm constantly trying to sell people on The Day the Laughter Died, but no one ever takes me up on it. Not even old rear end Dice fans. It is art.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Dice had the same issue a lot of those early 80’s comedians did in that at a certain point their characters that started as parody became their real personas and they bought their own hype. Those first couple of Kinison specials are great. The whole joke is that he’s this sad angry guy who hates his wife but he’s too scared to do anything about it. But then you get the later specials where he thinks he’s some cool rock star. Dice is the same way. Early dice is a parody of all the dumb jersey guys he knew but then he started believing his own hype and thought he was this cool rockstar and bought his own hype.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

DangerDummy! posted:

I'm constantly trying to sell people on The Day the Laughter Died, but no one ever takes me up on it. Not even old rear end Dice fans. It is art.

Well okay, fuckin' blow me.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

DangerDummy! posted:

I listened to it and didn't find it funny.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Odddzy posted:

Eenie Meanie Miney Mo
Type your post I'll tell you it blows

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

The_Rob posted:

Dice had the same issue a lot of those early 80’s comedians did in that at a certain point their characters that started as parody became their real personas and they bought their own hype. Those first couple of Kinison specials are great. The whole joke is that he’s this sad angry guy who hates his wife but he’s too scared to do anything about it. But then you get the later specials where he thinks he’s some cool rock star. Dice is the same way. Early dice is a parody of all the dumb jersey guys he knew but then he started believing his own hype and thought he was this cool rockstar and bought his own hype.

In the 80s/90s, it was getting common for comedians to open for major rock groups on arena tours. Kinison opened for Nirvana while, so he really was living a rock star life. Obviously it ends up making them out of touch. Even today, there are comedians that make a big splash with their first comedy album and ride it in to an arena tour and quickly become irrelevant and loathed. If you look at most comedians that get famous but keep their fanbase, the vast majority of them never play anything larger than a theater and still play in smaller clubs on occasions.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

I swear that whole Blue Collar Comedy thing that Jeff Foxworthy was doing ran for at least a decade. They weren't leading "rock star lives" but they can sell out multiple nights in big venues.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

back in my day if you asked alexa for a joke she'd book tickets for Beacon Theatre instead of redirecting me to twitter

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Odddzy posted:

That is because the purpose of the whole thing is to have Dice walk into a club with no material and unannounced to the audience, and have him bomb while improving to piss off the audience. I completely understand why people find it hard to listen to, because in the end it is comedy for other comedians instead of the supposedly target audience. I can only imagine how many bored comedians have dared other comedians to bomb on purpose just so they can get a laugh at the expense of the audience. Dice just did it when he was one of the biggest draws and made a Rick Rubin produced double album out of it. Might not be funny, but it is art.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

nate fisher posted:

That is because the purpose of the whole thing is to have Dice walk into a club with no material and unannounced to the audience, and have him bomb while improving to piss off the audience. I completely understand why people find it hard to listen to, because in the end it is comedy for other comedians instead of the supposedly target audience. I can only imagine how many bored comedians have dared other comedians to bomb on purpose just so they can get a laugh at the expense of the audience. Dice just did it when he was one of the biggest draws and made a Rick Rubin produced double album out of it. Might not be funny, but it is art.

I understand all that you've wrote and I hope I don't come off as arrogant, which isn't my intention, but I kinda think it's weird that the best comedy album of all time... isn't funny.

What is the funniest comedy album of all time? I'm personally a huge fan of Norm's "Ridiculous" album.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
To be clear I never said it was the funniest. I just said it was a masterpiece and I agreed it was a work of art.

I would have to think about the funniest. I would guess it would be one of Richard Pryor’s albums.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 1, 2021

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
HICKERY DICKERY DOCK OOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!

Zoben
Oct 3, 2001

The_Rob posted:

Agreed about them buying the hype. I didn't really know much about Dice in the 80's/90's other than that he was a big "shock" guy and was really popular. My dad, brother and I were big Kinison fans so I think we didn't like Dice for whatever reason since there was some kind of rivalry (keeping in mind I was born in 1980 so I probably shouldn't have been listening to either of them at that time). Anywho, like 5 years ago a friend of mine was telling me about how Dice was actually a parody character he created, and the humor comes from how over the top and ridiculous it is, as well as how lots of the bonehead fans idolized him as a "real" figure. So we got stoned and watched The Diceman Cometh, which I'd never seen before and I was dying laughing because I kind of "got" it at that point. Not like I try to dissect comedy too much, nor so I think that Dice's act is some kind of subversive masterwork like Norm's Saget roast, but the whole thing is just so absurd that I couldn't help but enjoy it. Plus I already loved Dice Gottfried so all the tics and exaggerated smoking moves made more sense after that.

Bonzo posted:

Dice's act is very dated but it seems odd to me that people poo poo on him, but think Sam Kinison was the greatest of all time. It might be that Sam's tragic death earns him some sympathy but if he were alive today I guarantee he'd be a huge right-wing comedian and people would be quick to dismiss him.
Like most people I look back at things I loved as a kid and am a bit taken aback about how poorly they aged, and Kinison was a big one for me. I relistened to some albums and he had some amazing bits for sure, but to me a lot of it relied on the screaming character too much, and obviously the uncomfortably long anti-gay poo poo was super cringey. Not everything is timeless in its impact though, I also look back at the super random and wacky humor of SA in the early 2000's and I scratch my head as to why I loved it so much

Lifespan posted:

In the 80s/90s, it was getting common for comedians to open for major rock groups on arena tours. Kinison opened for Nirvana while, so he really was living a rock star life. Obviously it ends up making them out of touch. Even today, there are comedians that make a big splash with their first comedy album and ride it in to an arena tour and quickly become irrelevant and loathed. If you look at most comedians that get famous but keep their fanbase, the vast majority of them never play anything larger than a theater and still play in smaller clubs on occasions.
Did he really open for Nirvana? I can't find anything about that online, I would just be a bit surprised given how much homophobic + sexist material Sam had done

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

nate fisher posted:

To be clear I never said it was the funniest. I just said it was a masterpiece and I agreed it was a work of art.

I would have to think about the funniest. I would guess it would be one of Richard Pryor’s albums.

Sorry, I wasn't implying you found it funny, and I agree it's a work of art in a way. I just believe it's ironic how people in comedy love it so much and yet there's so little laughter in it you know?

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Zoben posted:

Did he really open for Nirvana? I can't find anything about that online, I would just be a bit surprised given how much homophobic + sexist material Sam had done

You might be thinking of Bobcat Goldthwait who also had the screaming thing going in his act.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

Zoben posted:

That's my bad. I was thinking of Bobcat Goldthwait, though Kinison did hang with rock stars and released that stupid Wild Thing cover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
On a different topic, I just saw that someone posted the Riley Martin Thanksgiving Special where he is just completely loving hammered: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkhQbcolUmc

The best part is when he starts to answer a stupid question and doesn't even get a sentence out before completely fading out, then proceeds to try and drunkenly promote things and you can't understand a word he is saying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkhQbcolUmc&t=1146s