Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

loudog999 posted:

Im going to move my Series X to a monitor so I can free up my TV. I have two in my home, LG 27uk600 and a Dell S2721DGF. From what I understand the first allows for 4K HDR and the second 1440 120hz. Which would you guys recommend for the X?

I would personally probably choose the LG because not every game supports 120hz and way more games support HDR. I don't know if the LG has a good HDR implementation, mind you.

Having said that, I often play my Xbox on a 1440p60 monitor and it works great. I think either option will work well for you if you truly have no preference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

HDR on monitors is usually garbo so unless you know it's any good I wouldn't let it factor into your decision.

mfny
Aug 17, 2008

Akuma posted:

HDR on monitors is usually garbo so unless you know it's any good I wouldn't let it factor into your decision.

This, a lot of monitors (usually cheaper "gaming" ips ones )that claim to support HDR seem to lack the ability to do HDR correctly as their max brightness is to low and also lack any local dimming.

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

I’ve since checked them both and don’t see much difference so I’ll just base it on location in the house. Funny that the Dell said it does HDR but in the xbox settings it tells me HDR is not available on this tv. Thanks for the input.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

loudog999 posted:

Funny that the Dell said it does HDR but in the xbox settings it tells me HDR is not available on this tv. Thanks for the input.

Is there more than one input, or maybe it has to be turned on?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Could also be the hdmi cable I think.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Most tvs have different settings per input and many ship with hdr disabled for some reason so fiddle around.

Imo hdr doesnt pop without an oled. Most led backlights cant cut it and the ability to vary backlight intensity across the screen is pretty key to it looking good.

I have a led that has noticable but disappointing hdr and and an oled that looks 400 times better

loudog999
Apr 30, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

Most tvs have different settings per input and many ship with hdr disabled for some reason so fiddle around.

Imo hdr doesnt pop without an oled. Most led backlights cant cut it and the ability to vary backlight intensity across the screen is pretty key to it looking good.

I have a led that has noticable but disappointing hdr and and an oled that looks 400 times better

It may be just the monitor doesn’t support it. It has something called smart hdr in the monitor settings that I have turned on. It looks fine, I’m going to see how much I miss the larger screen before I dick around too much because I may just end up moving it back to the tv anyway.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Real hurthling! posted:

Have they gotten the input leg for OLEDs down to something playable yet? Last time I was looking at them, besides being prohibitively expensive, they were especially undesirable to me because of slower response times and none of them could get as low as an LED.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Was the last time you looked at TVs 2014 or something?

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

Professor Beetus posted:

Have they gotten the input leg for OLEDs down to something playable yet? Last time I was looking at them, besides being prohibitively expensive, they were especially undesirable to me because of slower response times and none of them could get as low as an LED.

Response times and input lag are almost totally unrelated.

Further, input lag can vary immensely between subsequent models of the same brand, even when they use the exact same panel (and thus have the same response time), due to differences in the signal processing.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

loudog999 posted:

Im going to move my Series X to a monitor so I can free up my TV. I have two in my home, LG 27uk600 and a Dell S2721DGF. From what I understand the first allows for 4K HDR and the second 1440 120hz. Which would you guys recommend for the X?

4K HDR in my opinion. You'll get more bang for your buck as far as eye candy goes. I've got a handful of PC games I do prefer on a 120Hz display, but for a console, I'd much rather it target 60 FPS with HDR instead of just SDR.

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

lol LG's OLEDs have the lowest input lag among high-end TVs

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Oh, I guess I just hosed up and thought response time had anything to do with input lag. Good to know. If I ever have a bigger budget for a tv I'll at least be better informed about what I want from it. Regardless I don't think there was a single OLED in my price range when I upgraded to 4k.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Yeah my LG B8 is basically instantaneous. The Sony LED tv I was going to buy has a 200ms delay in game mode according to rtings.com

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
if you haven't gamed on a 4k HDR OLED you haven't gamed at all

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mr. Neutron posted:

Unless the game is 30fps then it feels like dog poo poo because the response time is so good.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Mr. Neutron posted:

This is actually partially what got me more into consoles and less PC gaming around last gen, before working from home 100% killed my desire to sit at a pc outside of working hours

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Mr. Neutron posted:

This is what I was afraid of.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

This is actually partially what got me more into consoles and less PC gaming around last gen, before working from home 100% killed my desire to sit at a pc outside of working hours

I completely understand. I play 99% of PC games (everything outside of WoW and GW2 these days, basically (and god do I wish GW2 had controller support)) via steam big picture on my TV.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Holy poo poo, the Forgotten City was insanely good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

26GB!! Wasn't this like an Oblivion fan mod at one point?

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

26GB!! Wasn't this like an Oblivion fan mod at one point?

It was altered and expanded heavily between the mod release and the full game release.

Skrill.exe
Oct 3, 2007

"Bitcoin is a new financial concept entirely without precedent."

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Holy poo poo, the Forgotten City was insanely good.

It's so well constructed. Game premise spoiler: Each loop always results in a few new threads to pull at. You're never just going through the motions to get back to where you were at the end of the last loop. Nor are you ever just looking around for the next clue with no leads to go on. Also the inclusion of Galerius as a little automated tool to get certain questlines to the right state without needing your direct involvement is brilliant.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I just finished it, all endings. My GOTY

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
I started it and the premise cool but the world feels very empty to me so I stopped after a little bit. Maybe I'll give it another try soon.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way
Whatever-ing Forgotten City. Game's absolutely incredible, and the ways in which they leapfrog some of the shittier aspects of time-loopy games are inventive and make the whole experience so, so much better. I was worried at first that it was gonna be too sprawling and impossible to navigate, but it turned out to be so much more tightly wound than I thought.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I was a little stuck until I realised that you can steal things, activating the Golden Rule, but then reset time while still keeping the item you stole.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Got a couple hours into The Forgotten City and it seems pretty cool so far. It also looks quite a bit better than I would have expected, minus some weird facial animations. Good acting and dialogue, though.

It actually reminds me a lot of The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time which I loved as a kid. The whole "travel back to a doomed ancient civilization shortly before its collapse to figure out what went wrong" is an eternally cool concept.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

It actually reminds me a lot of The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time which I loved as a kid. The whole "travel back to a doomed ancient civilization shortly before its collapse to figure out what went wrong" is an eternally cool concept.

Gotta look this up

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can get it for 3bux on GOG right now. I don't think it was ever updated to go higher than 480p so you'll be clicking through those glorious pre-rendered environments as God intended.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

Okay now I am sold on the Forgotten City, I just needed to see a comparison to the Journeyman Project.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

https://comicbook.com/gaming/news/xbox-series-x-headphones-update/

A future update will auto mute TV sound when you turn on the wireless headset. About loving time. Finally catching up to the PS4.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
https://twitter.com/Wario64/status/1454985415614623745

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Put goddamn Jet Set Radio onto my Xbox

CHU CHU MOTHERFUCKING ROCKET YOU SICK SONS OF BITCHES

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster

God drat it, just loving buy them. GIVE ME KNUCKLES IN THE NEXT KILLER INSTINCT.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Blast processing… IN THE CLOUD!

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Lammasu posted:

God drat it, just loving buy them. GIVE ME KNUCKLES IN THE NEXT KILLER INSTINCT.

Comedy option: Dreamcast 2 out of nowhere!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Lammasu posted:

Idris Elba Knuckles please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boz
Oct 16, 2005

highme posted:

Anyone else grab Riders Republic yet? I’m still trying to dial my preferred control scheme as they start you off using the face buttons for rotation and it’s the least intuitive way I’ve pretended to ride a snowboard.

I tried using right stick for tricks for a bit but I went back to using the face buttons because I like to use the right stick to look around.