Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
My kid enjoys her playdates so much that when she sees me coming to pick her up from her friend's house she locks the door, runs into the backroom, and hides under the bed.

Feels bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kids only ever see their cousins maybe once a month.

the older kid looks forward to it like it's fuckin Christmas

the younger one could not give less of a gently caress about seeing anyone

inside of you there are two wolf children

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

lobster shirt posted:

my kid has recently started a fun game when i pick him up from daycare, he will run most of the way towards the door when i knock (door has big windows in it so he can see), and then when they daycare lady unlocks and opens the door, he gets a poo poo eating grin on his face and runs to the other end of the room laughing his head off. its pretty funny, im just glad he looks like he's having fun and isn't, like, running away from me for bad reasons.

My kid has decided that he will not hug me goodbye when i drop him off, opting instead for running up the stairs to the main room. I take it as a great sign that he feels safe and good about being in daycare, and you should too.

On the other end, my ex colleague had major issues with her daycare, and the kid would cling to her as soon as she arrived. That's a bad sign. Luckily, she was able to basically do half time at work with full pay because of majorly incompetent leadership.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Oh for sure. The kid feeling safe and secure enough to say "gently caress off dad, I've got this whole world thing" is something I'm immensely proud of.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

when he first started daycare he would scream and cry at drop off, and also at pickup hilariously enough (because a bunch of other parents had knocked to pick their kids up, and not him, so he just assumed this wouldn't be for him either and would get upset). but after a few weeks he got used to it. the daycare has an app that they send us pictures and videos on, it sure looks liek all the little kids are having fun.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Oh for sure. The kid feeling safe and secure enough to say "gently caress off dad, I've got this whole world thing" is something I'm immensely proud of.

Completely same. First day of preschool, first kid made a sniffling face. Second day, ran in. Second kid, not even the sniffling face first day.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
my kid's art assignment asked me to use a code to join some site and then log in with my kid's district credentials and I'm like "I think I can figure out how to build some dumb poo poo with cardboard without all this so no thanks"

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

my kids only ever see their cousins maybe once a month.

the older kid looks forward to it like it's fuckin Christmas

the younger one could not give less of a gently caress about seeing anyone

inside of you there are two wolf children

if my kid is a sigma im hosed

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

i've been concerned about how best to tell my kids about the injustices of the world, never sure about how much to say. and then a few days ago, my wife got super drunk and ranted to the kids for like 3 hours about how loving awful capitalism is.

this morning the kids brought up capitalism again, unprompted, and shared their thoughts.

my 7-year-old: i think rich people should be punished, for 10 years, because they're mean to poor people

my 9-year-old: rich people should be forced to give everyone else some of their money every year, until their money is gone. and we should take them to their land, and give them 4 pennies. have them throw the pennies in each direction, so the pennies make a shape. they get to keep all the land inside the shape, and the rest gets taken away

me: :sickos:

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

the heck that doesn't make any sense your kid needs to learn a thing or 2 about capitalism.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I do not understand why teachers don't provide substitutes with pronunciation (or preferred nickname) for their students.

every fuckin time we have to go over how to pronounce Ky'mani's name, and that, yes, there are three fuckin Theodores in the class and they all go by different abbreviations and please stop calling Ciaran "Karen" and referring to him as her.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Well, during my kids 5 yr well check visit she loving tells us she doesn't want a black person to give her shots and I'm like getting pretty livid inside so we had do some quick anti racist talk and then on the drive home I was able to get out of her that the older kids during their playground time were saying that poo poo so I spent a lot of time explaining racism and all of that and related it to our experiences and such. So now she's going to be reading all of the cultural books we haven't read in a while. I told her straight up I will not tolerate raising a racist kid. fuckin kids' racist older parents....

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My 4yo threatened to "cut off my brain" this evening :stare:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

brugroffil posted:

My 4yo threatened to "cut off my brain" this evening :stare:

sounds about right. when mine was 4 years old she told me to leave and be a dad to a different kid.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

sonatinas posted:

Well, during my kids 5 yr well check visit she loving tells us she doesn't want a black person to give her shots and I'm like getting pretty livid inside so we had do some quick anti racist talk and then on the drive home I was able to get out of her that the older kids during their playground time were saying that poo poo so I spent a lot of time explaining racism and all of that and related it to our experiences and such. So now she's going to be reading all of the cultural books we haven't read in a while. I told her straight up I will not tolerate raising a racist kid. fuckin kids' racist older parents....

Oh dude this sucks, at least she's got parents who will set her on a better path.

Fwiw my 7yr old told me last week that I "throw like a sissy girl" when we were playing catch at the park last week in front of half a dozen neighbors and their kids. She must've heard that talk at school, certainly not in our home.

It was fuckin embarrassing but I nailed the parenting teachable moment, I think. Fuuuuck though.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

sonatinas posted:

sounds about right. when mine was 4 years old she told me to leave and be a dad to a different kid.

Oof that’s a deep cut

A few months ago my kid was playing with the neighbor kid and I was sitting outside watching them. He asks “hey Nate do you want to play soccer with us?” and I said “no you kids play I don’t feel like playing right now “ and was reading the forums on my phone. Then he said “you’re like a sad internet man that never goes outside”

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

sonatinas posted:

My four year old gets mad at me and says she is going to go live with "basement daddy."

She also drew a bear a few weeks ago and gave it "many eyes" cause that's what the bear she is friends with has. Also her recent drawing of me resembled the Babadook.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

B-Rock452 posted:

My four year old gets mad at me and says she is going to go live with "basement daddy."

"Captain Howdy would let me eat all the chocolate biscuits!"

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:
I mean don't get me wrong I love her art and how creative she is. Not sure where "many eyes" actually came from though. Or why I look so weird in her drawing of me

This is her drawing of me, I have very short hair and do not wear glasses.

And here is the bear with "many eyes"

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

B-Rock452 posted:

I mean don't get me wrong I love her art and how creative she is but I do like how creepy she can be.

This is her drawing of me, I have very short hair and do not wear glasses.

And here is the bear with "many eyes"

Beauty is in fact in the eye of the beholder - in this case, it's eyes.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

B-Rock452 posted:

I mean don't get me wrong I love her art and how creative she is. Not sure where "many eyes" actually came from though. Or why I look so weird in her drawing of me

I'm seeing double here! Four B-Rock452's!

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I think a lot about how when I was a kid I spent my entire fall every year trying to spoil Christmas for myself (I usually succeeded in some capacity) but my own two children, who could easily just open a drawer in my closet and see tons of presents, just don't do that.

I'm sure at some point this system will break down and I'll actually have to try to hide stuff but it's kinda nice that they're not criminals like I was as a child.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
my kid brought home one of those fundraiser catalogs where if you sell enough overpriced trash food you get a lovely prize and i honestly had no idea schools were still doing those. this one was like frozen Italian food so a frozen 12 inch cheese pizza was $25.50. Sausage Pizza? $27. Cheesy Bread $20, M&M cookies - $18?

and the prizes were way worse then i remember as a kid. If you sold 5 $25 pizzas you got some bendable straw erasers. If you sold 40-49 things you got some lovely headphones that look like they're at most $50. And there's some levels in between but if you sold 100 $25 trash foods you got.....apple air pods. The headphones that are so small your kid will immiedatly drop them in the couch cushions or down a sewer grate. I threw that catalog in the trash before anyone saw it and got any ideas.

I mean I'm pretty sure i already fundraise like $5000 and change for my kids school district ever year in the form of property taxes. Now they want me to push a $30 frozen Stromboli on my friends and family too?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

I remember in the 5th grade going to an assembly for one of those things where they show you all the prizes you can earn and immediately understanding it wasn't something my parents would ever let me do (nor would they do it for me) but also I got all of my classmates worked up about doing it because I was an rear end in a top hat poo poo stirrer.

I remember pumping my fists and cheering during the assembly and my teacher being like "I know what you're doing stop it now."

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

I think a lot about how when I was a kid I spent my entire fall every year trying to spoil Christmas for myself (I usually succeeded in some capacity) but my own two children, who could easily just open a drawer in my closet and see tons of presents, just don't do that.

I'm sure at some point this system will break down and I'll actually have to try to hide stuff but it's kinda nice that they're not criminals like I was as a child.
I was worried about this last year, but then realized we use the kitchen cabinets top shelves to hide presents, and not even my spouse can reach up there. So unless my first grader can somehow procure a ladder, we're safe for many years to come.

First grader on the drive to school yesterday said aloud "black lives matter!"
Me driving, "hmm?"
"Black lives matter, black lives matter, sooo many black lives matter signs. Why do sooooo many houses have signs that say black lives matter on them?"
While saying this they're doing goofy cute hand gestures exaggerating the point

So for the remaining minutes of the commute I tried my best to explain BLM to a first grader, stumbled through it of course, but it was an interesting conversation.

Where the BLM for Kids books at

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

there's a book called "a kids book about racism" that is pretty fuckin good. the author/publisher has one about sex and bodies too.

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

last weekend our 4 year old got something in his eye and we were trying to convince him to let us rinse it out with water, and his mom showed him some photos of when she was washing people's eyes out as a street medic. and he started asking questions and somehow it ended up with her telling him that there was a police car on fire there. then he changed the subject and we forgot about it

until later that night when i was trying to teach him a dumb joke for fun, so i got him to memorize the delivery of "what's black and white and red all over? a newspaper!"

so he goes over to his mom and fumbles the delivery, so she tries to help him and asks him "pancake rabbit jr, what's black and white and red all over?" to which he proudly responds

"a police car on fire!"

:vince:

pancake rabbit has issued a correction as of 05:49 on Oct 30, 2021

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

lmao that rules

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Good soup! posted:

lmao that rules

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

:lmao:

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

you might be aware of this already but your kid rules

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

holy poo poo :laffo:

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

kid's going places

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

I remember in the 5th grade going to an assembly for one of those things where they show you all the prizes you can earn and immediately understanding it wasn't something my parents would ever let me do (nor would they do it for me) but also I got all of my classmates worked up about doing it because I was an rear end in a top hat poo poo stirrer.

I remember pumping my fists and cheering during the assembly and my teacher being like "I know what you're doing stop it now."

It’s really like a mini lesson in capitalism is what it is. The one year I did it I managed to convince my mom
To guilt enough friends and family into buying poo poo and I ended up getting this piano shaped piggy bank.

But after everything is over there was an assembly and the top performers in the school got to go up on stage while the principle told the entire school how amazing they were for selling $1,000 worth of…I wanna say frozen cheesecakes?

Josherino
Mar 24, 2021

BonHair posted:

My kid has decided that he will not hug me goodbye when i drop him off, opting instead for running up the stairs to the main room. I take it as a great sign that he feels safe and good about being in daycare, and you should too.

On the other end, my ex colleague had major issues with her daycare, and the kid would cling to her as soon as she arrived. That's a bad sign. Luckily, she was able to basically do half time at work with full pay because of majorly incompetent leadership.

I can definitely relate here. I mean yeah, I get caught off guard at how quickly my kiddo is growing - but I forget how awesome that independence felt at their age.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

My kid enjoys her playdates so much that when she sees me coming to pick her up from her friend's house she locks the door, runs into the backroom, and hides under the bed.

Feels bad.

My kid loves kindergarten and her least favorite day is Friday because she has to spend the next two days at home. She reminds me of this daily.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Took my daughter with me to sign for the final paperwork for an awesome daycare center after moving to the Providence area (long story but moving with a 9-month-old and two screaming anxious cats lol), and she continues to be a social superstar

Was just chilling, hanging out, smiling, laughing, all that poo poo

Then when the main lady in charge of the "crawlers" class came over to say hi, she just reaches out like "ok you're good, you gotta hold me now"

We are only days settled in and we have kept her to her routine and she hasn't missed a beat - sleeps through the night and handled an ear infection like a champ

This kid fuckin rules lmao

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Probation
Can't post for 24 hours!
I’m going to feel real loving foolish if I bought all this candy and we don’t have any trick-or-treaters. We are keeping our kid home* and now I’m wondering if other parents are doing the same. Usually by this time a bunch of the really young children have already started showing up. I looked outside up and down the street and there is just no one.

*Partly because of COVID but also she is still young and has a sleep schedule we like to keep. She also wakes up at the same time every day regardless of how late she went to bed, so if she doesn’t got to bed early enough she turns into a real gremlin he next day.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

Halloween plus: three year old was very into trivia about her triceratops costume, especially it's horns and boney frill.

Halloween minus: three year old using said horns and frill when she gleefully ran up and head-butted a girl in a T-Rex costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Halloween plus plus: three year old using said horns and frill when she gleefully ran up and head-butted a girl in a T-Rex costume.

There we go