Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glass_cliff

Oof, a horrible snipe. I'll put this here too because it's good: https://www.thechatner.com/p/succession-of-dune

quote:

Kendall: The Duke wanted me to ask if there’s any way through this. An asset swap. Or something else. An arrangement that leaves you happy and him in control? That’s the move. Where do we find it?

Sandy: Well — as you know — our position is — my position is — control the Spice, control the universe. Encompass your doom. Seed betrayal in your very house, with a traitor worth more than ten legions of Sardaukar.

Kendall: Sure. Okay. Obviously our public line will be that we’re considering that, but it doesn’t matter what you seed, because it’ll never clear the Spacing Guild, which means you’re due to start bleeding cash. He’ll start bleeding cash too, but he doesn’t care about that part. It will never end. That’s the important part. And maybe it’ll kill him, but if it doesn’t — if you don’t kill him, he will aim to kill you. And if that takes going bankrupt, or going to jail, okay. He will beat you on Arrakis and if that doesn’t work he will send people around. Send men to kill your pets and your mentats and gently caress your wives and it will never be over.

Sandy: Good. Well, let’s move ahead with that process then, shall we?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

poo poo, great point with the glass cliff there.

EDIT: I think that even folks like Frank and Karl are competent but don't do so well when being constantly browbeaten or starved.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Oct 29, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gerri will probably be fine until she pisses them all off. Look at what happened to Rhea.

indiscriminately
Jan 19, 2007

Professor Spatula posted:

I'm very interested to see where Geri goes this season. Logan has made it clear that she's just an insulator for the rest of the family while the crisis blows over, but she's clearly aware of the reality of the situation and is probably more cunning than Logan gives her credit for. She does seem to have legitimate affection towards Roman and I thought she was being pretty genuine on the phone call with Roman during the meeting at Kendall's. If she gets Roman solidly on her side and doesn't majorly gently caress up while CEO, they could be a major threat to the rest of the family.

Logan elevates her to CEO then hours later pointedly snubs her at the airport while the cameras are rolling and describes her in private as "a full chemical and biological suit". :whitewater:

Professor Spatula
Apr 16, 2007
Clearly, poo poo's going to keep get stirred up since the show is renewed through season 4 at least. I just think that it's been so heavily emphasized that the interim CEO is basically a dead (wo)man walking, that I would be surprised if the outcome is simply Gerri takes the blame for everything. I agree it's unlikely that she will ultimately come out on top, but I think they're setting up a Sophie's choice situation for Roman where he will be unable to avoid backing either Logan or Gerri and scorning the other.

Also, Carl and Frank eating poo poo from Logan is one of my favorite parts of this show.

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

Can’t believe no one in the thread pointed out that James Cromwell told Greg ”That’ll do”.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

MokBa posted:

Can’t believe no one in the thread pointed out that James Cromwell told Greg ”That’ll do”.

loving lol

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

This is so good and the writer totally nails the characters. Greg and Tom with the gom jabber then this was just perfect:

quote:

Logan: I blame myself. I spoiled you. And now you’re hosed. And I’m sorry. I’m sorry you’re a hothouse flower with damp hands, that you’re nothing. You’re curdled cream. You have no water discipline. I wouldn’t even take your water. Your knife was chipped and shattered before you unsheathed it. Maybe you should write a book or collect sports cars or something. But for the world? Nah. I’m sorry. You’re not made for it. Manners of a rabbit. I wouldn’t put your blood on my knife.

Kendall: [Breathes shakily]

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

What time will the new episode be up on HBOMax?

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

What time will the new episode be up on HBOMax?

It goes up at 9pm ET - I have it up on HBO Max now.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I've always been self-conscious about my wrists

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This show is so, so loving good. God drat.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
I honestly don’t know how the show keeps growing in strength, when it was already at a level few shows ever hit.

There is just something about a good HBO show that hits different. No other network really hits that note where you feel like you are watching some special unfold.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Roman's body language has been hitting it out of the park.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

TyrantWD posted:

I honestly don’t know how the show keeps growing in strength, when it was already at a level few shows ever hit.

There is just something about a good HBO show that hits different. No other network really hits that note where you feel like you are watching some special unfold.

I was wondering if I was just having a minor manic episode but no you’re right. Watching this season does feel special. It’s really exciting and makes me very happy

Mirotic
Mar 8, 2013

withak posted:

Roman's body language has been hitting it out of the park.

This, that little lean when he was refusing to sign Shiv's letter was saying a lot for him.

But also Jeremy Strong's face work. That walk through the hallway at the knockoff Full Frontal, focused on his face? He took us on an entire journey.

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
“These are the ones that don’t gently caress off”

“I know who you are” -_-

cheese eats mouse fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Nov 1, 2021

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
"If you see them, that's what that is" lol

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

gently caress kendall for not buying greg that watch

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
thank you for succession for parodying the half hour downer after your show *not insecure*

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

drat near died when my all-time favorite Nirvana song played during Siobhan’s damage-control presentation

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
who planted the stereos? kendall?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
That town hall was something else. It’s amazing how it’s this insane blow to Siv while still remaining incredibly offensive to anyone who was actually harmed by the cruise stuff.

Despera posted:

who planted the stereos? kendall?

He gets into his office, can’t log on to his computer and then gives that “shopping list” to one of his flunkies. Then afterwards you see the boxes in his office.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
tom surpassing my expectations this episode w/ that phone reveal. ill say that.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
So just a reminder that the security dude was the same one at the wedding who was involved with “cleaning up the mess”.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Holy poo poo somehow feeling bad for Ken again

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Holy poo poo somehow feeling bad for Ken again

he doesnt have the fbi up his rear end

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

i wish they dumped the whole season in one go , this is excruciating

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Solkanar512 posted:

So just a reminder that the security dude was the same one at the wedding who was involved with “cleaning up the mess”.
I feel like every episode there's 1 person's face or name who I don't recognize and makes me feel bad for not rewatching the first 2 seasons because I'm lost. Thanks for this reminder.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

DaveKap posted:

I feel like every episode there's 1 person's face or name who I don't recognize and makes me feel bad for not rewatching the first 2 seasons because I'm lost. Thanks for this reminder.

It was just a lucky guess and I had the app open. I need to rewatch all the old stuff too!

Cranappleberry
Jan 27, 2009
About the second episode of the season- I get that they are all a morass of insecurities, built by their narcissistic father and being so sheltered, and their group dynamic is incredibly toxic such that they can't communicate anything other than pettiness but 40 minutes of them just going "uhhh so... uh...," "well," and "gently caress off" along with some sarcastic retorts and Connor trying desperately to be a relevant peacemaker seems kind of excessive.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Fucker posted:

tom surpassing my expectations this episode w/ that phone reveal. ill say that.

I missed this, what?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Did anyone else play air guitar when Nirvana came on?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
"No way, it's got to be like, 65, 62 in here."

What the gently caress, you can't control the temperature in individual rooms in a high rise, get over yourself. The room is cool because no one has been in there for a while.

Also, Shiv is around the age where she hears those first guitar riffs and knows the song immediately, right? There just has to be some internal sense of dread as the chorus approaches.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 1, 2021

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

HootTheOwl posted:

I missed this, what?
After making his pitch to Logan he quietly called a lawyer that his off-screen friend recommended. If he's looking to cooperate with the DoJ he's setting himself up well to be closer to Logan.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

obviously she had more immediate and pressing problems, but the fact that her discussion of witness intimidation happens in the same episode as a brief return from the politico who (in a world-historical stupid act) gave her the name of the witness she intimidated is a nice reminder that shiv is as directly implicated in all this as anyone, and likely way more directly exposed than Roman, based on what we've been shown.

It's interesting to consider what we've seen everyone get up to. Connor's only crimes we know of are against good sense and taste, Kendall killed that kid but we don't have a clear sense of his involvement in the cruises crimes beyond that he was clearly aware of them to a significant extent, Roman's in a similar spot because the west coast division he oversaw served as a pipeline for cruises, and Shiv got very directly involved in intimidating a victim whistleblower about to go before Congress. Based on this, I can only conclude it will be a sad but necessary day when Connor gives up his grassroots-popular presidential campaign to give Waystar a steady, unstained hand at the tiller, since his father's clearly lost it and all his siblings are criminals, perverts, and junkies.

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

nooneofconsequence posted:

After making his pitch to Logan he quietly called a lawyer that his off-screen friend recommended. If he's looking to cooperate with the DoJ he's setting himself up well to be closer to Logan.

this could also have lead to the FBI raiding the office and tom seeming relatively calm about it

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

also shiv has the worst loving instincts, god she sucks at anything related to the business. maybe this was just bad luck, but she went out and knifed kendall in public which is going to be immediately overshadowed by the FBI raid. her big move is going to amount to nothing!

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

also shiv has the worst loving instincts, god she sucks at anything related to the business. maybe this was just bad luck, but she went out and knifed kendall in public which is going to be immediately overshadowed by the FBI raid. her big move is going to amount to nothing!

You're absolutely right, but I think the flaw here wasn't in releasing the letter, but in getting tilted by the stunt Kendall pulled. She should have told the sound person to cut the sound, stay there and wait until it was gone, then apologize for what happened and the culture that it represents. Then she looks like the loving adult in the room compared to some vandals making a mess. But she doesn't have experience, she doesn't have confidence in herself to do that, so she just left. Not that it was an easy situation, but she's a president, she should have taken charge.

Bonus points if she took a moment to explain the anti-rape meaning of the track but that would require being a human being for once.

Solkanar512 fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

Solkanar512 posted:

You're absolutely right, but I think the flaw here wasn't in releasing the letter, but in getting tilted by the stunt he pulled. She should have told the sound person to cut the sound, stay there and wait until it was gone, then apologize for what happened and the culture that it represents. Then she looks like the loving adult in the room compared to some vandals making a mess. But she doesn't have experience, she doesn't have confidence in herself to do that, so she just left. Not that it was an easy situation, but she's a president, she should have taken charge.

yeah but kendall is right that she does have a guilty conscience — you can see it in how she got rattled, and you could see it in her one on one convo with logan this episode where she is clearly trying to hide she thinks her dad is a bad person who knows about all the bad poo poo