Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.
Nah, the terrible secret behind the utopia of "In the Barn" (by the famed Piers Anthony, "Again, Dangerous Visions") wasn't about incest or free love, it involved breeding facilities for humans grown to be mindless.

A different sort of creepy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Foglet posted:

Nah, the terrible secret behind the utopia of "In the Barn" (by the famed Piers Anthony, "Again, Dangerous Visions") wasn't about incest or free love, it involved breeding facilities for humans grown to be mindless.

A different sort of creepy.

They're talking about "If All Men Were Brothers Would You Let One Marry Your Sister" by Theodore Sturgeon. Where, to be fair, the ending is that everyone who didn't grow up there nopes RIGHT THE gently caress OUT of the concept of incest wonderland, often violently.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Capilarean posted:

Some time back a gave a try to Dangerous Visions, and I'm honestly not sure if that's really what passed for transgressive or if it's just one big troll by Harlan Ellison.

You might consider this a half-assed defence of Dangerous Visions.

It's from a particular time when there was a fashion in boundary pushing, transgressive SF. And the collection was specifically aimed at that, so it applies doubly so. And Ellison is great at talking up his own creations, so triply so. From our distance, the results are decidedly mixed. Some of DV seems almost quaint, like some relic hippy commune, some of it has little to offer but shock value, and some of it still lands.

I can't speak to that story, because I don't remember it.

Is it worth reading? I'd say no, the hit/miss ratio is too poor. Note that The Next Dangerous Visions (unsure about title) is definitely downhill, feeling like all the stuff that didn't get into the first book. And The Final Dangerous Visions? If you want to go into a rabbit hole, read Christopher Priest's takedown of it.

Ellison was a talented writer. But he stayed stuck in his angry young man / I'm an artist damnit schtick and it did him no good.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

nonathlon posted:

And The Final Dangerous Visions? If you want to go into a rabbit hole, read Christopher Priest's takedown of it.

Could be difficult as it was apparently withdrawn from distribution all over the internet, back when that was still possible.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Dabir posted:

Could be difficult as it was apparently withdrawn from distribution all over the internet, back when that was still possible.

There are hard copies available for ridiculous prices, but here is an archived copy of the original essay Priest wrote. (I guess the title was changed later?)

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

nonathlon posted:

You might consider this a half-assed defence of Dangerous Visions.

It's from a particular time when there was a fashion in boundary pushing, transgressive SF. And the collection was specifically aimed at that, so it applies doubly so. And Ellison is great at talking up his own creations, so triply so. From our distance, the results are decidedly mixed. Some of DV seems almost quaint, like some relic hippy commune, some of it has little to offer but shock value, and some of it still lands.

I can't speak to that story, because I don't remember it.

Is it worth reading? I'd say no, the hit/miss ratio is too poor. Note that The Next Dangerous Visions (unsure about title) is definitely downhill, feeling like all the stuff that didn't get into the first book. And The Final Dangerous Visions? If you want to go into a rabbit hole, read Christopher Priest's takedown of it.

Ellison was a talented writer. But he stayed stuck in his angry young man / I'm an artist damnit schtick and it did him no good.

Ellison was just a lovely awful person in basically every way. But it's okay. In SF, you could be a legit monster who only makes everyone miserable and people will still flock to you.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Runcible Cat posted:

They're talking about "If All Men Were Brothers Would You Let One Marry Your Sister" by Theodore Sturgeon. Where, to be fair, the ending is that everyone who didn't grow up there nopes RIGHT THE gently caress OUT of the concept of incest wonderland, often violently.

Ahh, yeah, true.
Well, in the "Barn" the protagonist also nopes the gently caress out off the planet in the ending and rescues an infant girl not yet influenced by the development-stopping procedure.
Not before managing to try to gently caress one of the cattle-women on the premise that no one would know.
That's as much credit as I can give to Piers Anthony, I guess.
... Although knowing the author as I do now, maybe the protagonist's plans for rescuing an infant weren't so noble as I assumed back then.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009

Runcible Cat posted:

That's the initial setup, IIRC. The ending is that the protagonist steels himself for the difficult task of promoting this wonderful lifestyle. At no point is it portrayed as anything but positive,yet misunderstood.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Well, we've seen the results! We gotta do it!

No I have no idea how the transition works, it's probably horrifying for nearly everyone involved but we know it leads to utopia--somehow! We just have to work on dropping thousands of years of extremely reasonable taboo agreed upon by all but the most monstrous, then step two, then utopia!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

shelley posted:

There are hard copies available for ridiculous prices, but here is an archived copy of the original essay Priest wrote. (I guess the title was changed later?)

George R.R. Martin posted:

The 1978 volume of my own 'New Voices/Campbell Awards' anthology series
will probably be published some time in 1985, so I don't think I'm the
person to make pronouncements, stern or otherwise, about the lateness of
TLDV. I know all too vividly how easily and how badly these things can get
out of hand. Still, there's no doubt in my mind that the lengthy delay of
TLDV has been a tragedy--a tragedy for readers like myself who have been
looking forward to the book, a tragedy for the field that badly needs a
shot of the sort of literary adrenaline the previous DV volumes have
supplied, a particular tragedy for the writers involved, and especially a
tragedy for Harlan himself. I can only hope that, somehow or other, this
tragedy will turn out to have a happy ending. Despite everything, you
know, I'd still like to read the book, and so would a lot of other people.

hahahahahahahahaaaaaaaaa

Dabir has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Oct 29, 2021

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Good poo poo.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Man the last two spoilers I've clicked on have been incest

I think I'm gonna stop clicking on spoilers

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
That's the thing, it's incest all the way down.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Ok, so, "beach reading" type thrillers are obviously a free square for this thread. But permit me to bitch about Survive the Night, a new thriller by author Riley Sagar.

Mr. Sagar has several novels under his belt already - and until now I thought they were surprisingly decent for pabulum genre. I know, I know, I don't have to defend my reading choices or whatever, but I listen to books like this one while I run; I cozy up with physical books that demand a lot more attention. I read a lot. I read anything I can get my hands on. But running? Yeah, then it's time for dumb thrillers. Ruth Ware is my friend when I'm pounding the pavement.

So I've listened to every one of Sagar's books, and they're... fine. Actually a cut above the usual crap. Sure, you know who the killer is early on, and, sure, you have to suspend your disbelief that the heroine didn't even look in the attic for weeks until the killer happened to be right there on a dark and stormy night. Eh, it's a cheap thrill. But Sagar usually writes... dependably, I guess. He doesn't try to throw twist after twist at you. The killer kills, the single mom lives, the hot groundskeeper dates the mom, the kidnapped daughter returns unharmed. They're not good, but they're better than a lot of the genre.

Enter Survive the Night.

The premise is a good one. It's 1990ish, so we're pre-cell-phone, which is a good start for a thriller. Our heroine is a college student whose roommate has been murdered by The Campus Killer, and she's wracked with guilt about leaving Roomie at the bar that night. So she's bailing on college and on her boyfriend - going home to Nana. She's described as neurotic and paranoid and scared with good reason (see: murdered roommate, serial killer at large). She checks her university's rideshare board and sees some guy is going in her direction and wants riders. Best of all, he's willing to leave the next night. As midterms are currently underway for the rest of the non-ditching student body, her options for leaving right now are limited, and so she decides to trust the random dude Josh and ride with him.

Throughout the night, though, she starts to get nervous. See, little clues keep landing in her lap that make her think Josh might not be who he says he is. Like the fact that his wallet... lands in her lap, and his driver's license says Jason on it. She starts to suspect he might be the Campus Killer, but she isn't sure, because she's neurotic and paranoid and scared. She can't call her boyfriend because no cell phones. OK.

This isn't bad so far. You're stuck in a car and you don't know if you're being paranoid or if there really is something to worry about.

But most women - particularly those whose roommates just up and got theyselfs killt - would leave the situation. Claim diarrhea and disappear at the rest stop; claim you need a tampon and tell the night clerk at the 7-11 that you need help; claim you forgot you told Nana you'd call her before you left and she'll kill you (heh) if you don't get to a pay phone.

So we have to add another reason Charlie stays put as the flashing warning signs pile up.

Enter "unreliable narrator."

Unreliable narrator is very, very hard to do well. Charlie's particular unreliability comes from the fact that she "sees movies in her mind". Instead of just making her paranoia war with her desire to obey social conventions, Sagar decides that she literally lives in daydreamed movies sometimes and can't separate fiction from fact. Adding to the fact that this is just... really stupid, Sagar can't write it well. Obviously, her vision of her dead roommate handing her a cupcake is a "movie". And just as obviously, Josh's coy allusions to intimate knowledge of the killing is real. But Charlie is utterly paralyzed by stupidity and indecision. She is four hundred pages of meek passivity.

She has So. Many. Chances. To. Escape. and takes none of them.

Sagar makes the choice to tell us, the reader, early on, that Josh is indeed a bad guy. We learn that he has handcuffs, duct tape, and hunting knives in his trunk "and plans to use them all on Charlie, soon." We readers get his inner monologue that Charlie will never make it to Nana's house. So seeing Charlie continually decide not to leave (after starting the process each time) is frustrating as hell.

For hundreds of boring pages, Charlie constantly starts action to leave - asking for help at a rest stop, calling the cops at a diner, gearing up to jump out of the car - and then in each case she decides at the last minute not to leave. Nothing external ever prevents any of these escapes; in each case, Sagar makes her internal monologue talk herself out of it.

The author struggles mightily with this, because it's so stupid. Repeatedly, Charlie has to tie herself in logical knots to come up with a reason not to go. The funniest one is with the cop, who is standing beside her at the diner: "I'm a strong woman, I am going to handle this myself! I'll get back in that car and give him what-for! Nobody gonna Campus Kill me!"

It's maddening. She does nothing. Four hundred pages of nothing happening.

With only four characters in the novel (Charlie, Josh, the waitress, and the big strong boyfriend), it's pretty obvious that dear boyfriend is the REAL killer. Josh kidnaps Charlie and turns her in to the waitress, who is the roommate's mother. Waitress starts to torture Charlie to get the truth about who killed her daughter. Josh knows this and planned to handcuff her, hurt her, and hand her over. Boyfriend shows up and identifies as the killer. In a pathetic action scene involving fire and a loving Hollywood scramble for a gun, Charlie and kidnapper-Josh fight off Boyfriend.

Charlie forgives Josh and marries him.

I think Sagar is an idiot.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry
Thank you for that break-down. I had previously read Sagar's Final Girl and thought it was... fine. Fine! I might've given this a shot at some point but now I won't because that sounds loving intolerable.

Also (spoiler for Final Girl) isn't he literally just reusing the loving twist from Final Girl? Not exactly, but the beat of 'the guy you think is the killer wasn't and the handsome love interest was!!'

UwUnabomber
Sep 9, 2012

Pubes dreaded out so hoes call me Chris Barnes. I don't wear a condom at the pig farm.

Thursday Next posted:

She checks her university's rideshare board and sees some guy is going in her direction and wants riders. Best of all, he's willing to leave the next night. As midterms are currently underway for the rest of the non-ditching student body, her options for leaving right now are limited, and so she decides to trust the random dude Josh and ride with him.

Is he intentionally recreating the death of Jane Mixer?

Btw if you look up the graveyard there's a picture of her corpse in the google reviews. (Its not even five minutes from my house)

UwUnabomber has a new favorite as of 16:50 on Oct 30, 2021

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Dabir posted:

Like Shelley noted, you can find the original essay. And when I looked (some years ago admittedly) it was fairly easy to find various versions of the story scared about the web. And the abbreviated versions are possible as long as the story needs to be.

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

https://twitter.com/KirstySedgman/status/1454503687460638726

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

That excerpt reads like you need to say it in one breath

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Legitimately disappointed that's not on audible so I can delight in the narrator's pain

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

"My book was panned by virgins! Here's an excerpt that implies I have never interacted with my genitals and am terrified by them"

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Liie Zorro. :whitewater:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

In reality, the only Z's are from his attempted sexual partners

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That's not even the worst thing Giles Coren's ever written. The worst thing would probably be the article he wrote for the Times about going on holiday with just his three year old daughter and how it was the "sexiest" holiday he'd ever been on.

E: In trying to find this quote I've learned that he also wrote one where he speculated about her giving blowjobs when she's older.

Dabir has a new favorite as of 04:34 on Nov 1, 2021

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

W H Y

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Dabir posted:

E: In trying to find this quote I've learned that he also wrote one where he speculated about her giving blowjobs when she's older.

There was no reason in hell we needed to know this.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You can either be an author or a sane person, you can only choose one

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Yeah, I love my daughter too

Yeah, she's beautiful

Well, uh, no I don't think I'd say that--

Dude if you weren't an article I'd be about to kick your rear end

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I thought it was that you could choose whether to be an author, and no normal person would choose "yes".

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Captain DIEgiene posted:

You can either be an author or a sane person, you can only choose one

Am a (non-fiction) author, can confirm.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Am a (non-fiction) author, can confirm.

What paraphilia do you pepper your prose with?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

There was no reason in hell we needed to know this.

Take it up with him

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dabir posted:

That's not even the worst thing Giles Coren's ever written. The worst thing would probably be the article he wrote for the Times about going on holiday with just his three year old daughter and how it was the "sexiest" holiday he'd ever been on.

in addition to the obvious problem with this passage, i really think you should not give coca-cola to three-year-olds

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
NOPE NOPE NOPE OH MY GOD

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Brawnfire posted:

What paraphilia do you pepper your prose with?

John le Carre allusions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

lmao I forgot that was giles coren as well

extremely normal man

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

OwlFancier posted:

lmao I forgot that was giles coren as well

extremely normal man

I wonder if David Mitchell has ever punched him during a family dinner.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/Mr_Considerate/status/1455121559362932736?t=5s1OPrZEJhZOQIlp3QyDWg&s=19

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

:dogstare: Well, this takes some of the joy I got out of Supersizers Go/Eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Not gonna lie kind of curious how A gets to B here