Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Adults that insist on having a big celebration for their birthday on their birthday.

We did a get together and gifts this past weekend. Why are you determined to hit the bar on a Tuesday night to celebrate? The actual day doesn't matter. You are 38, just stop it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Idiot drivers who refuse to turn on their headlights at dawn/dusk. To me, that's right up there with drunk driving.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"

Indolent Bastard posted:

Adults that insist on having a big celebration for their birthday on their birthday.

We did a get together and gifts this past weekend. Why are you determined to hit the bar on a Tuesday night to celebrate? The actual day doesn't matter. You are 38, just stop it.

I jokingly mention my birthday a LOT to people when it's coming up. But really I'm not joking at all, I just want them motherfucking presents.

I don't have a big celebration though, cos I've got kids and my life is over.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
It's fly season, and my roommate has apparently taken the fly swatter into her room. There are at least two flies buzzing around me at the moment, and I have nothing to destroy them with.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

It's fly season, and my roommate has apparently taken the fly swatter into her room. There are at least two flies buzzing around me at the moment, and I have nothing to destroy them with.

Adopt a kitten.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

I have a 15 year old cat, she's currently unfazed my them

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Indolent Bastard posted:

Idk, Jesus is 2021 years old and we don't celebrate his birthday on the closest Saturday. And surely I'm more important than Jesus

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Iron Crowned posted:

I have a 15 year old cat, she's currently unfazed my them

One of our cats is a 5ish year old expert fly murderer and ngl, it's loving great

Dude will cartwheel of the walls to catch and eat one of those fuckers. I'm a vegetarian and I feel no sadness.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Killingyouguy! posted:

Idk, Jesus is 2021 years old and we don't celebrate his birthday on the closest Saturday. And surely I'm more important than Jesus

How many people people in the world wear a symbol of you being nailed by some Italians around their necks?

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I have a cat that will catch flies expertly and then just hold them in his mouth. He'll just be laying there, buzzing. It's hosed.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

People letting their dogs off their leads outside of safe areas.

Inevitably they go "oh, oh my god, i'm so sorry, he never does this" when doggo charges across traffic and tackles people, and like... no yeah he clearly does, you're just an irresponsible lazy idiot.

Bonus points when they don't even care, just stand or sit in place and go "NO, NO, COME, HEEL, COME, NO" while the dog zooms around endangering themself. Don't get a dog if you don't want to train and care for a dog, rear end in a top hat. Dogs like being trained. It's their deal. It isn't mean! And use a loving leash when cars and coyotes and all kinds of poo poo are all around!

When someone says "I don't know what happened? He never acts like this." That is code for "He bites everyone he meets. He even bites me first thing in the morning before I let him out to bite the neighborhood kids. I have 12 pending lawsuits against me."

Seriously, all dogs can bite. They have teeth don't they? My dog isn't a biter, but, if she's freaking out, she'll bite you. Just like any dog. So she stays on lead outside of the house.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.

FreudianSlippers posted:

How many people people in the world wear a symbol of you being nailed by some Italians around their necks?

Add "You may be surprised by the answer" to the end and that's a click bait article that I would read.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

When somebody "just realized" something you mentioned verbally numerous times

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
"You're impossible to get ahold of! Every time I call I just get a recording saying to leave a message!"
"Have you tried leaving a message?"
"No, why? :confused:"

Constantly. I don't think I've ever had someone actually leave a message except for scammers.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
There needs to be a youtube option for "never play or recommend this video to me again". I can push "not interested" every day for the rest of my life, but the things keep sneaking into youtube's "random" playlists. I just want this song to heck off forever.

Agaragon
Nov 16, 2018
"Hey, have you lost weight? You look good!"

I have not been keeping track because my anxiety would blow 5 pounds either way out of proportion, and that same anxiety is now trying to buzz its way into my forebrain. Thanks for that!

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Those captcha things should have an "appeal decision" button so I can tell them how wrong they are about me being wrong about typing the thing or selecting the objects they want me to.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

I hate the ones with the pictures the most, sometimes I miss things or there’s a small corner of something in a square or it’s like far off in the distance or something. I had to go through like five pictures before I was allowed to proceed when I was trying to log into something not too long ago :mad:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

For some reason the awful app keeps loading the last post in a thread as blank or partial text, so I have to reload to see what it says.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Brawnfire posted:

For some reason the awful app keeps loading the last post in a thread as blank or partial text, so I have to reload to see what it says.

It is honestly better that my posts are seen only via conscious decision my friend

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The fact that youtube's memory of my viewing habits is shorter-term than mine. If I don't watch something literally every day and i go on a binge of something unrelated, that other thing is just gone from my recommended page forever. There's a show I have watched every week within 2 hours of it being posted for the past 10 months, but youtube doesn't recommend it to me. I'm even subscribed to the page, and it doesn't put it on the front page thing.

Why doesn't this stupid robot know what i want yet

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The fact that youtube's memory of my viewing habits is shorter-term than mine. If I don't watch something literally every day and i go on a binge of something unrelated, that other thing is just gone from my recommended page forever. There's a show I have watched every week within 2 hours of it being posted for the past 10 months, but youtube doesn't recommend it to me. I'm even subscribed to the page, and it doesn't put it on the front page thing.

Why doesn't this stupid robot know what i want yet

Subscribe with an RSS reader. That way you get every video the channels you like put out delivered to you in a convenient list that just sits there until you deal with it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: the way my US and french leftists peers talk about the USSR vs how my girlfriend and especially her dad, who spent more than half his life in it, talk about the USSR.

Specifically how the westerners assume that the actual born KSSR citizens of russian origin are wrong and must be splitter trotskyites on the CIA's payroll or whatever bullshit.

The dude who got sent from Leningrad to Kazakhstan for being a jew, as an infant, to continue the russification and genocide of Kazakhstan, who insists that being an american in 2021 is still better than life in the Soviet Union in his adulthood from the sixties onward, vs some dweeb insisting Comrade Lenin had everything right. Who to trust?????

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 00:19 on Oct 31, 2021

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Peeve: the way my US and french leftists peers talk about the USSR vs how my girlfriend and especially her dad, who spent more than half his life in it, talk about the USSR.

Specifically how the westerners assume that the actual born KSSR citizens of russian origin are wrong and must be splitter trotskyites on the CIA's payroll or whatever bullshit.

The dude who got sent from Leningrad to Kazakhstan for being a jew, as an infant, to continue the russification and genocide of Kazakhstan, who insists that being an american in 2021 is still better than life in the Soviet Union in his adulthood from the sixties onward, vs some dweeb insisting Comrade Lenin had everything right. Who to trust?????

Same, even on this forum some people insist that everyone who got abducted by Soviets were nazis when this topic comes up.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Subscribe with an RSS reader. That way you get every video the channels you like put out delivered to you in a convenient list that just sits there until you deal with it.

I wasn't talking about channels I subscribe to. I know how to do that and I always see those right away. I'm talking about listening to a song for months, but one night I start repeatedly listening to a different one for a week or two. If you asked youtube, I apparently never want to see that original song in my recommended ever again. I feel like I have to continuously remind youtube what music I like to give me good recommendations, otherwise they'll keep assuming I only like what I listened to in the past 1-2 weeks.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I wasn't talking about channels I subscribe to.

There's a show I have watched every week within 2 hours of it being posted for the past 10 months, but youtube doesn't recommend it to me. I'm even subscribed to the page, and it doesn't put it on the front page thing.

:crossarms:

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
The way YouTube remembers where you left off in videos also makes no sense. Two minute video that I left 45 seconds into because it sucked? YouTube remembers exactly where I left off, even three years later, and won't stop recommending it to me. Twelve hour video that I left seven hours into because I had to go to bed? Completely forgotten in under a day.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It puts it in my notifications, but not my front page.

loopsheloop
Oct 22, 2010
This might be revealing my own stupidity but I hate it when an options menu has unlabeled toggles and it's not clear which side is on/off

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

loopsheloop posted:

This might be revealing my own stupidity but I hate it when an options menu has unlabeled toggles and it's not clear which side is on/off

Oh, "off" is imperceptibly greyer

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

loopsheloop posted:

It is so frustrating when it goes like this:

ALL TECHNOLOGY THAT EXISTS: If the toggle reads 'on', it means the thing is currently on and pressing the toggle will turn it off

OUR SPECIAL PROPRIETARY TECHNOLOGY: If the toggle reads 'on', it means it is currently off and pressing the toggle will turn it on as if it's a big shiny button on a conveyor belt or some poo poo because this is hell and we are all burning

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dip Viscous posted:

The way YouTube remembers where you left off in videos also makes no sense. Two minute video that I left 45 seconds into because it sucked? YouTube remembers exactly where I left off, even three years later, and won't stop recommending it to me. Twelve hour video that I left seven hours into because I had to go to bed? Completely forgotten in under a day.

You: Click a video link so you can add it to your watch later list.
YouTube: OK, I've just made a note that you have now watched that video in its entirety. Hope you didn't want to use the "remove watched videos" feature at all, ever.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

CJacobs posted:

OUR SPECIAL PROPRIETARY TECHNOLOGY: If the toggle reads 'on', it means it is currently off and pressing the toggle will turn it on as if it's a big shiny button on a conveyor belt or some poo poo because this is hell and we are all burning

Oh god, yes!

I worked for a publishing/media company for a bit and they had some bought-in content management system that was like this.

In particular, the media player showed the crossed-out speaker symbol when it wasn't muted (because you'd click the button to mute it) and showed the 'speaker with a sound wave coming out of it' symbol when it was muted.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

It is so frustrating when it goes like this:

ALL TECHNOLOGY THAT EXISTS: If the toggle reads 'on', it means the thing is currently on and pressing the toggle will turn it off

I made a complete rear end of myself at my new job because of one of these motherfucking software toggles and I hope the guy that thought it was okay is currently roasting in an unimaginable hell.

I shouldn't be able to gently caress up the whole database by clicking a completely confusing button!

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

There needs to be a youtube option for "never play or recommend this video to me again". I can push "not interested" every day for the rest of my life, but the things keep sneaking into youtube's "random" playlists. I just want this song to heck off forever.

I know it's not possible to get an ad for something I'd ever buy, but could I just not get the same ads over and over again?

All insurance is a-la-carte, I don't have to pay for monkey coverage to get window glass coverage. Seriously, stop telling me "pay only for what you want." All insurance works that way. You just get better rates by bundling insurance. However, bundling doesn't really help with life and auto, go ahead and shop. Either way, no-one makes me choose that plan. It's always my choice. I can get health insurance that has no drug coverage. You can do that. I can get drug without health, not recommended but you can. Stop acting like you're special whatever company that advertises it. Your ads are so bad, I don't even remember which company it is even though I see it dozens of times a day.

The "Constant Contact" ad. "Be prepared..." etc. At least I remember who they are. It reminds me not to use them because I can't stand their ads. Good job ad man, now I hate the company.

The "Sometimes it feels like everything is my fault. Then my dad said..." Hit the skip button. Everything is your fault and I still don't know what you're selling. Shut up shut up shut up.

How about an ad for something I might want. Keep it short. I don't need an ad for Amazon. All those ads remind me is that I'm a bad person by not buying some things locally that I could. Reminder for me to take 10 minutes out of my life to got to local business instead of getting Bezos enough money to put a yacht in his yacht that he keeps on his yacht.

Please let me have ads for things I want. Then, when you harass me, I might buy them.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

fizzymercury posted:

I made a complete rear end of myself at my new job because of one of these motherfucking software toggles and I hope the guy that thought it was okay is currently roasting in an unimaginable hell.

I shouldn't be able to gently caress up the whole database by clicking a completely confusing button!

Ooh, that's a good one. Poor design and execution.

I once broke a database by fixing a disconnected SQL database by changing a 1 on to a 0. This was just to turn on a button in the software. The pisser is, that the software was designed to sync databases both directions when the connection came up. The stupid thing is that it synced settings up first, then synched settings down, before synching up the local data to the remote data. Then it would synch the entire remote database back to the local. Development somehow figured out a way to corrupt an entire database because of setting which button is visible. What the hell does the sales data have to do with a button availability? They somehow made it work that way. I've live modified databases a many times and re-synched them without consequence. Yet they made it so it would ruin everything. They never set priority as to which data was primary.

The reason I had to make the change was also a known problem and the solution was to turn that field from a 1 to a zero. Just like I did. That was the published fix even though it would corrupt all data 50% of the time. As such, you had to leave the disconnect permanent until you could manually replace the remote database overnight, then re-synch. Even that was not safe either.

They could have fixed the button problem in the software, but they didn't. That problem always seemed to happen on a Sunday. It was the worst.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Holy poo poo I'm never eating fast food again hahaa. This morning I went to McDonald's for breakfast and they were out of chicken so I couldn't actually get anything because I'm quite limited in my diet choices- this is not their fault or the peeve it's just the set up, the pet peeve is do your job right please. I go to the other McDonald's and nobody comes to the intercom even though they're open. I go to Dunkin and just get a coffee and donut and the coffee is someone else's coffee. I return, am given a new coffee, and it's someone else's coffee a second time. I think some kind of glass dome government mist plague has spread throughout my town and it only affects people who work in fast food.

edit: This is as good an excuse as any to get fit and start eating home cooked meals I guess! Make everyone else on the fuckin planet suck at making food from a list of ingredients and I'll get good at it instead!

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 23:45 on Oct 31, 2021

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

CJacobs posted:

Holy poo poo I'm never eating fast food again hahaa. This morning I went to McDonald's for breakfast and they were out of chicken so I couldn't actually get anything because I'm quite limited in my diet choices- this is not their fault or the peeve it's just the set up, the pet peeve is do your job right please. I go to the other McDonald's and nobody comes to the intercom even though they're open. I go to Dunkin and just get a coffee and donut and the coffee is someone else's coffee. I return, am given a new coffee, and it's someone else's coffee a second time. I think some kind of glass dome government mist plague has spread throughout my town and it only affects people who work in fast food.

edit: This is as good an excuse as any to get fit and start eating home cooked meals I guess! Make everyone else on the fuckin planet suck at making food from a list of ingredients and I'll get good at it instead!
Just try to be patient with anyone in a service position right now. It's almost guaranteed they hate how terribly their job is being done as much as you do. They're absolutely not paid enough to give a gently caress about it.

You and everyone else should stop eating at any fast food place forever anyway, though. The labor shortage and supply chain issues are going to get worse for a very long time. Most fast food as we know it is probably going to go away or vastly change in price, choices, and experience. And since absolutely none of those huge fast food corps are going to start making sure people are paid what they're worth and treated like human beings that deserve respect, that's fine. It's a broken system that needs to die. No one should have to do those jobs with the way they're currently treated.

Also cooking is way more fun than getting grumpy in a drive thru pretty much every time.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
It's actually not my job to get the food I order correct, it's theirs

edit: But I get what you mean though. I live in a college town and because it's the start of the semester and 1/3 the class hasn't dropped yet the lines get quite long and untenable. When it's only you and the person who is running the restaurant though by comparison it is really lame for them to get it wrong twice in a row. There wasn't even someone else to give coffee to the second time it was the same order from before

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:26 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s like that for everyone. Unless your food is completely inedible just deal with it tbh. I know it’s a peeve but I worked in food for a bit and no one intentionally makes mistakes. It’s just human