Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Xpost: Finished these inceptors I've been working on for a couple weeks. I forgot to paint the Sgt's helmet stripe. I contemplated adding it in but with everything glued down I figured it would make a mess and be more of a pain. I'm also feeling like the bases are extra plain now that nothing is standing on them. I might add some rocks or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
MMMm that's clean as hell. The purity seals are done really well too. Also, I love the backdrop. Great job dude

Fingat
May 17, 2004

Shhh. My Common Sense is Tingling

Thanks for the love, man. I made sure to add some white to the ushabti bone for the parchment this time.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Definitely some gorgeous inceptors there. I think you may be on to something about the bases, though. Maybe a few rocks or tufts or something just to break them up?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I still don't know what I'm gonna do for basing my Space Marines but I did have a lot of fun free handing the insignia of the Crimean Khanate

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Eej posted:

I still don't know what I'm gonna do for basing my Space Marines but I did have a lot of fun free handing the insignia of the Crimean Khanate

ice/snow?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I think ice/snow with the light blue/grey would be too space wolvesy myself, I'd go something different. Honestly first thing I think is desert sand for some reason, I think it'd be a contrast from the armour but not draw the eye too much, either that or just go with muddy battlefield.

Unless that guy is in fact a space wolf, in which case, yeah, ice/snow all day.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I was thinking slavic and that's what I first thought of. A beach base a la rockfish's tau could be sick too.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Spanish Manlove posted:

I was thinking slavic and that's what I first thought of. A beach base a la rockfish's tau could be sick too.

Honestly I thought beach base too! Desert base would be easier, but beach bases have been amazing every time I've seen someone pull them off. They're really eye catching because they are so much less common than basically any other biome. Plus the pose of that marine is giving me "running while watching where the beach ball is going" vibes.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I was thinking of a dirt and cobblestone base but a beach one sounds a lot more fun. Plus I got all these water effects for my Orks that I still haven't given a try so hmmmmm

Don't know what my White Scars successors are doing on the beach but I guess even the Khanate could use a beach day

John Romero
Jul 6, 2003

John Romero got made a bitch
finally finished building and priming my CSM, first army in like 15 years. I did a real lovely job painting back then (went straight from the pot to the model no thinning) and would like to do a better but still lovely job this time. i'm gonna go to my local games workshop next week so i can get the buy 10 get one free pack, and the free poo poo they give you now for being new. dont want to buy my brushes there, however- there is a jerry's artarama right up the street. any good recs for inexpensive new person friendly burshes?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

John Romero posted:

finally finished building and priming my CSM, first army in like 15 years. I did a real lovely job painting back then (went straight from the pot to the model no thinning) and would like to do a better but still lovely job this time. i'm gonna go to my local games workshop next week so i can get the buy 10 get one free pack, and the free poo poo they give you now for being new. dont want to buy my brushes there, however- there is a jerry's artarama right up the street. any good recs for inexpensive new person friendly burshes?

get some golden taklon synthetic brushes at michaels or some other art store to do most of your painting, and for detail try these guys out

https://www.amazon.com/ZEM-BRUSH-Kolinsky-Artist-Detail/dp/B00M7HPVV2

Geisladisk
Sep 15, 2007

Does anyone recognize this model? It was in a big ebay lot of miscellaneous minis I bought and I have no idea where he is from.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Looks like a random Pict from some historical range.

DarkAvenger211
Jun 29, 2011

Damnit Steve, you know I'm a sucker for Back to the Future references.
I finally grabbed some white ink from a friend and tried out getting this holographic display look working:

I really like how it turned out. Hard to tell from the flash but it is a bit transparent and bright like I wanted. I decided not to try my hand and squiggly text as I like how it looks right now and there's no going back after I mess it up

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

One solar ballache later. The lighting + camera is doing weird things - the reds aren't that vibrant IRL and the base is more earthy brown. Or my monitor is way out. It's like the brown has has gone greeny/yellow while the white and reds went super vibrant. :shrug:

I was experimenting and stumbled across something that could be used to paint fire if you have texture and use fire colours. Again the camera is going nuts on colour. Can click for big.

The base on the right. Method was something like
Start with a black undercoat.
Paint very dark brown (scale 75 dark leather)
Absolutely smash it with a heavy overbrush of white or offwhite, I was using vallejo model colour off white. You just want some dark in the very reccesses.
Apply a 1:4 mix of iyaden yellow contrast with contrast medium. Let it get mostly dry.
Apply snakebite leather contrast.
Grab a paper towel. Dab/rub the towel into recesses.

The picture doesn't do it justice but after dabbing my brain stopped parsing it as earth and went "fire?" If it had some red in the mix it'd be stronger.

I was trying to make stony ground with more mottled colours without going full weathering pigments and it sort of worked in the upper one. Pretty much same recipe except it was going easier on the snakebite and not as forceful on the dabbing.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Eej posted:

I was thinking of a dirt and cobblestone base but a beach one sounds a lot more fun. Plus I got all these water effects for my Orks that I still haven't given a try so hmmmmm

Don't know what my White Scars successors are doing on the beach but I guess even the Khanate could use a beach day

Sometimes you gotta make a beachhead I guess, even in the grim dark future of the so on and so forth!

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

So Instagram disabled my mini painting Instaham account for violating TOS, which, I'm almost 99.9 percent sure I haven't done.

Which sucks, I had built up a decent amount of followers (imho at least) and also followed a lot of really great mini painters and hobby folk.

I've appealed like five or six times so far and haven't heard a peep from anyone at Facebook or Meta or whatever they're called now.

:( lame.

KingMob
Feb 12, 2004
Et In Arcadia Ego
Cross-posting from the MCP thread:

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aranan posted:

Definitely some gorgeous inceptors there. I think you may be on to something about the bases, though. Maybe a few rocks or tufts or something just to break them up?

Do a google image search for 'sub mediterranean forest' to get a vision board of crimean biomes.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
In particular I like how the beard came out on this. Also how little modifications I had to make to turn the raven guard chapter master into a space wolf.

Spanish Manlove posted:

I'm not 100% done as I need to wait for the varnish to cure before putting on the shoulder transfer, but I'm very proud of this Space Wolves frost claw captain

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Finished a Primaris Deathwatch Chaplain this evening!

I started off not very thrilled with doing another Chaplain but I want to eventually have a full Reclusiam.

Then about halfway through painting this guy I fell in love with him.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Some kill me team.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

AndyElusive posted:

I started off not very thrilled with doing another Chaplain but I want to eventually have a full Reclusiam.

Then about halfway through painting this guy I fell in love with him.

The edge highlighting on the leather cloak is pro as anything, congrats. It really looks like aged, worn leather.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

mllaneza posted:

The edge highlighting on the leather cloak is pro as anything, congrats. It really looks like aged, worn leather.

Yeah for real. I like how there's some texture to the flat bits that sets it apart from the black armor. They're both "black" but the cloak reads as a brown black while the armor reads as blue black.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It just all ties together well, the leather looks like proper thick worn leather, the nice dusty chalky base and the dust on the leg, very solid. I love the detail on the face and the scrolls.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

That’s proof of the difference that painting texture can make. Awesome work.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Thanks a lot guys. It was my first time really giving the worn leather look a try and I wasn't sure about it at first. Or how much of it to do, or if I was over doing it or if it wasn't reading well. You know, all the usual negative and doubtful stuff that goes through your mind when trying a technique out.

MasterBuilder
Sep 30, 2008
Oven Wrangler
So I left this to the last minute but is there anything you guys see that is egregiously off? I still need to fix the pumpkins and highlight the crown but looking for the any criticism I could fix in 24 hrs.
I was maybe thinking of dry brushing a blue glow from radiating from the base out but that may be gilding the lily.

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer

MasterBuilder posted:

So I left this to the last minute but is there anything you guys see that is egregiously off? I still need to fix the pumpkins and highlight the crown but looking for the any criticism I could fix in 24 hrs.
I was maybe thinking of dry brushing a blue glow from radiating from the base out but that may be gilding the lily.

The helmet/crown could maybe use a little something. I'd give it a little purple wash in the deepest recesses, and paint some gems on it.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

After being traumatised by badger's primers I finally got around to trying liquitex white ink for zenithal priming. Jesus christ that was so easy.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Has anyone used Scalecolor 75 Metal Paints? I've heard some good things about it, but wanted to try one or two bottles before committing to one of their metal colour sets.

Anyone have any recommendations on which ones are the most versatile? I'm thinking something in a steelish colour.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
10mm Trebuchet

machine and crew sculpted by forest dragon. i made the base

ape!!!
Jan 13, 2005

PotatoManJack posted:

Has anyone used Scalecolor 75 Metal Paints? I've heard some good things about it, but wanted to try one or two bottles before committing to one of their metal colour sets.

Anyone have any recommendations on which ones are the most versatile? I'm thinking something in a steelish colour.

I have the Alchemy box set, but I only use Thrash, Black, and Heavy. Those are in the realm of steel and iron. I like them alot.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

PotatoManJack posted:

for steel colors I'd highly suggest just sticking to VMC. The s75 is just "ok" while the VMC is perfect.

However, if you're going for gold the s57 golds are pretty good. better than ok, but not perfect.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Love this little poo poo head, good work

redpleb
Feb 1, 2013
I have an airbrush and one of those booths with a fan for airbrushing indoors but I've been scared to use it because the booth came with this long ventilation tube that I'm presumably supposed to pipe to a window but where my painting set up is I don't really have access to a window for the booth to output to. Is the booth safe to use since the fan has a filter on it to catch all of the paint particles or should I move the booth somewhere near a window if I'm going to airbrush inside?

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team

redpleb posted:

I have an airbrush and one of those booths with a fan for airbrushing indoors but I've been scared to use it because the booth came with this long ventilation tube that I'm presumably supposed to pipe to a window but where my painting set up is I don't really have access to a window for the booth to output to. Is the booth safe to use since the fan has a filter on it to catch all of the paint particles or should I move the booth somewhere near a window if I'm going to airbrush inside?

You'll be fine for occasional airbrushing sessions (wipe down where the tube was blowing afterwards), but if you wanted to airbrush a lot, you'll ideally want that tube blowing out a window. Especially if you're wearing a mask during airbrushing, you don't have to be scared about using an airbrush, it's more about handling the dust afterwards. You're right that the filter will catch a lot of the dust, but smaller particles will still pass through, and you'll only notice it once it starts to build up. If there's zero chance to set it up so that it's blowing out a window, you could try setting it up that the tube blows into a waste bin, or container, or just something with a lid on it that you could swap out and clean.

edit: Also, this kinda depends on your airbrushing area. If you're in a tiny room, the ventilation is a more important issue than in a large garage.

Desfore fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Nov 1, 2021

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

You can also wear a p95 mask to help catch particulate. It won't do anything for vapors, but that's not really an issue if you stick to acrylics. (Ie: Water-based brands like Vallejo, Citadel, Army Painter, etc.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

trying some new stuff. Zenithal primed this guy and thinned all of the colors with acrylic medium to create a nice thin glaze. this is after one coat and a small amount of wash. I'm really digging how easy it was to get the highlights started this way.