Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

obi_ant posted:

Very frustrated that the iPhone HEIF/HEVC file format upload all weird to Google Drive. Looks like I have to e-mail them to myself, then add them into Drive through the e-mail. I know that I can change it to auto save as JEPG if I switch from "High Efficiency" to "Most Compatible", but that's inconvenient for other reasons.

This is true, but man I just use Google Photos (not drive) for all that stuff. For individual photo sharing you can use copy image in your browser to grab the JPG (there is a trick to modify the URL in order to grab full size) or save image. Admittedly I don’t transfer dozens of photos at a time so I’m just doing one by one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Skeezy posted:

It’s pretty annoying that there needs to be a trigger for passes to be removed. Once they are scanned they should be deleted automatically imo.

especially these days, a lot of places check your ticket multiple times - once for entrance, once for vaccine, once for actual seating at the section or whatever

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Honj Steak posted:

Google Apps obvs are better on Android, also there is no way to get GPL licensed software installed on iOS.

Why can't you have GPL stuff on iOS?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Skeezy posted:

It’s pretty annoying that there needs to be a trigger for passes to be removed. Once they are scanned they should be deleted automatically imo.

I don't know if Wallet can tell if a pass has been scanned, but it can surely tell if it was for an event yesterday, which doesn't seem to trigger passes expiring, which is pretty bad!

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

I don't know if Wallet can tell if a pass has been scanned, but it can surely tell if it was for an event yesterday, which doesn't seem to trigger passes expiring, which is pretty bad!

Yeah at the very least it should know dates and be able to see that much.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Skeezy posted:

It’s super fun having to manually delete 28 airline boarding tickets for a family of seven that has two flights per way.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Nitrousoxide posted:

Why can't you have GPL stuff on iOS?

technically the gpl/lgpl and the app store licensing restrictions conflict, see https://www.fsf.org/blogs/licensing/more-about-the-app-store-gpl-enforcement

in all honesty no one gives a poo poo, including apple, unless you're RMS (in which case gently caress off again you creep) or one of the developers with GPL code used in an app store project, in which case the developer has a pretty clear cut case to take down the app

so if it's something you completely built from scratch yourself that you GPL license and put on the app store, you're gonna be fine; but in general it's a pretty easy way to open yourself up to trouble mixing the two

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

Thanks this did the trick! Weird that it’s not any other place.
Yeah I guess it makes sense, but maybe a inadvertently complicated by being too simple. There's multiple volume levels and only two out of [however many] are exposed to adjust somewhere. Speaking of which, iOS 15 took out the maps navigation volume stuff :argh:

veni veni veni posted:

Agh. I washed my airpods in the washing machine. Just the earbuds not the charger. gently caress. I am scared to see if they still charge even if they look dry now. are they probably toast? Can't tell how long to wait because I use them at work all of the time and will probably just run out and buy a new pair if I have to.

I'm guessing they are hosed. That was a good long soak.
Anecdotally it seems like there's been lots of AirPods that have survived washing machines so who knows.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

veni veni veni posted:

Agh. I washed my airpods in the washing machine. Just the earbuds not the charger. gently caress. I am scared to see if they still charge even if they look dry now. are they probably toast? Can't tell how long to wait because I use them at work all of the time and will probably just run out and buy a new pair if I have to.

Given them 48 hours in a well ventilated area at least room temperature and they'll be as dry as they'll ever get. If they won't start up after that then they are likely hosed.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

veni veni veni posted:

Prepare for the cleanest sound you've ever heard.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Digital vaxx card stuff is pretty neat, in WI I was able to download the file from MyChart and export it into Health/Wallet. Kinda unintuitive but it worked and now I have vaxx proof on my watch :toot:

I've got a weird one here - we have been having some lovely power and internet reliability this year, with about a dozen power outages since April and a similar quantity of internet outages. Whenever either happens, my phone should revert to LTE/5G, right? But I don't have any data connection when we lose power or internet. Wifey's Samsung works fine in these situations. When I manually turn off wifi (when it's working) I have a data connection. When I leave the house and get out of wifi range I have data. But when we lose power or home internet, no data on the phone. A reboot does not fix the issue.

Any ideas? IPhone 12 mini, up to date, been happening for a few months.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

This is kind of a minor thing I guess but coming from the 8 plus I’ve noticed something cool with the 13 max. When I’m listening to audio and holding the phone in portrait mode the stereo effect is so good! I don’t know how long it’s been like that but I’m pretty sure the 8 didn’t sound anything like that unless my speaker was filled with earwax and boogers.

The effect is heightened by cupping your hands while holding it and makes me want to 3d print a little stand with wings around the sides to make audio sound better while watching videos and not having to use both hands.

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

Snowy posted:

my speaker was filled with earwax and boogers.

This is my biggest problem with non-Pro AirPods. It’s impossible to effectively clean the mesh.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Evis posted:

This is my biggest problem with non-Pro AirPods. It’s impossible to effectively clean the mesh.

Have you tried a laundry machine?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

veni veni veni posted:

I have washed my Pros MULTIPLE times and they're fine so fingers crossed

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I lost one of my AirPod Pro buds on the train. :doh: It looks like $90 for a replacement. Am I able to do that immediately in-store or do I need to go through the online process? I ask because don’t the buds have individual serial numbers and aren’t they matched so the single replacement bud will have a random one?

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Nov 1, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Why do you give a poo poo about the serial numbers of your Airpods?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't janitor your serial numbers.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Endless Mike posted:

Why do you give a poo poo about the serial numbers of your Airpods?

LEFT AIR POD MUST HAVE A SERIAL NUMBER ONE LESS THAN THE RIGHT AIR POD.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Where do you even see the serial number of each AirPod? I can see where it's printed on the inside of the case, but that seems to be the case, not for each individual AirPod.

I don't even know where I'd start looking for something like that. It ain't in BT settings.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Nov 1, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

In 30 years, we will be seeing numbers-matching AirPods selling for five figgies and won't we be the fools?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just a reminder to everyone that got a new iPhone, download the Target app to get some iCloud/Apple trials:

Inner Light
Jan 2, 2020

lol.... I don't think Josh is asking about the serial number for HIS benefit, because he cares about the number. I think he is checking if the serial number matching will affect pairing a new bud to your Pros case.

The answer is no.... the Apple Store will handle all that if you're going in physically for the replacement. Not sure how they handle it if they mail it out to you but I assume they have a workflow.

It's an interesting question nonetheless if the individual buds are serialized..... I think they are, but I'm guessing it's mainly used for internal Apple stuff like inventory and manufacturing data. I don't know if it's visible to a consumer in any way.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Apple isn't going to send you a replacement airpod that doesn't work with your case.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

iirc putting any pod in a case pairs it with that case and the other airpod

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Inner Light posted:

lol.... I don't think Josh is asking about the serial number for HIS benefit, because he cares about the number. I think he is checking if the serial number matching will affect pairing a new bud to your Pros case.

The answer is no.... the Apple Store will handle all that if you're going in physically for the replacement. Not sure how they handle it if they mail it out to you but I assume they have a workflow.

It's an interesting question nonetheless if the individual buds are serialized..... I think they are, but I'm guessing it's mainly used for internal Apple stuff like inventory and manufacturing data. I don't know if it's visible to a consumer in any way.
Yeah this is it. I wouldn't even know about serial numbers on the individual buds except when I returned a set to Costco, they spent a while trying to read the tiny numbers on them.

In any case, I scheduled a Genius Bar appointment. A needless $90 down the dtrain.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 1, 2021

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Wistful of Dollars posted:

my last iphone was a 4 I think. I've been using old nexus and inexpensive motorolas for years. They've been fine but I decided I wanted to go whole hog and get something that'll last for years.

They will literally last years. The upgrade every 2 or such nonsense. I've still got a fleet of iPhone 6s that are slowly dying not because of the hardware but rather the battery. I can't change physics and they would keep going if Verizon didn't have a .99 device upgrade to iPhone SE options. (I pay full tax but its negligible, like 50 bucks)

On the health app: I think my QR code is busted for my VAXX card. I have it, and its downloaded as well, but when I click the link to add to wallet it goes to health.apple.com.

I also don't have an immunity card option in my health app, which is weird. Xs w/ 15.1. Rebooted.

incoherent fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Nov 1, 2021

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

just swap buds with your pals and see what happens

as a bonus you'll build up a more diverse auditory microbiome

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Bad Purchase posted:

just swap buds with your pals and see what happens

as a bonus you'll build up a more diverse auditory microbiome

"more diverse auditory microbiome" is certainly not a phrase I thought I'd read today. :stonk:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My first impressions of gen 3 AirPods couldn’t be worse. I hate these things. They took a perfect product and made it worse. I think I’m going to return them.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

My first impressions of gen 3 AirPods couldn’t be worse. I hate these things. They took a perfect product and made it worse. I think I’m going to return them.

What is it you hate about them?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The main thing is that instead of just tapping them twice on the side, there is now a little pressure strip you have to hold down at the bottom of the stem. So what once was effortless, now involves holding down on a tiny hard to find part of the earbud and nearly pulling it out of my ear. I can’t even use it while driving because it feels so much more involved.

It also defaults to Siri on both sides and despite reading the instructions and multiple resets I cannot get the tap control customization options to pop up in the settings. I don’t know if it’s a bug or what but I can’t pause or anything and it’s driving me nuts.

I am honestly baffled as to why they thought this was better than just tapping the side.

Also if you use Siri while music is playing it just continues to play now and you can’t hear anything. They are less comfortable and fit my ears worse in general and feel easier to drop due to the weird shape. There’s not a single thing I like about them so far.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I love the side pinch if it is anything like the pros. It's way better and gives feedback. I always hated the tap on the first gen ones. It took a few days to get used to it, but it's pretty natural now, but I understand it may not be better for everyone.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

veni veni veni posted:

It also defaults to Siri on both sides and despite reading the instructions and multiple resets I cannot get the tap control customization options to pop up in the settings. I don’t know if it’s a bug or what but I can’t pause or anything and it’s driving me nuts.

Also if you use Siri while music is playing it just continues to play now and you can’t hear anything.

Are you on 15.1?

veni veni veni posted:

I am honestly baffled as to why they thought this was better than just tapping the side.

I went from AirPods 1 to the Pros and I vastly prefer the new method because you're not uncomfortably tapping them into your ears. I think that was a pretty frequent complaint too.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

looks like beats fit pro were just released - true wireless, noise cancelling, $200. I can't tell from pictures whether the tips are like normal IEMs or like the ones on airpod pros

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Clark Nova posted:

looks like beats fit pro were just released - true wireless, noise cancelling, $200. I can't tell from pictures whether the tips are like normal IEMs or like the ones on airpod pros

They kinda look like IEMs. Look pretty drat comfy honestly.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
The new Beats look nice, but they left out wireless charging for some reason.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Are those the replacement for the power Beats Pro or a completely different line?

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Rusty posted:

The new Beats look nice, but they left out wireless charging for some reason.

they'll sell you wireless charging case next year for $100

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I have a wireless charging case for my pros and it rarely ever actually charges them. Now I just plug them in so I am certain that they are charged.