Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

I've discovered that uber eats will also deliver printers from costco and toner ink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’ve decided to stop doing cocaine btw. I’ve seen the results. Back to coffee for me.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

https://twitter.com/Coding_Career/status/1454293034179317764/photo/1

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

drat, I thought that was your real resume

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Bamboozled!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I’d never work for Facebook. Sorry meta.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The worst thing about the name change is that I can’t use FAARTNG anymore

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

ONE. MORE. YEAR. OF. ESU BABY!

i've reduced my Windows 7 to the minimum and I'm still gonna pay the same as last year. My Sophos re-up is going to be $$$$, however.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

The Fool posted:

The worst thing about the name change is that I can’t use FAARTNG anymore

Now it's MANGA.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

So Roblox has been down like 48 hours or more at this point. Some folks out there are having a real lovely weekend. My kids are also going through terrible withdrawals

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

jaegerx posted:

I've discovered that uber eats will also deliver printers from costco and toner ink.

Very cursed product but I like that other stores besides restaurants are on the local delivery platform over here too. Saves me an hour of travel to go shopping in my favorite Korean grocery store.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

skipdogg posted:

So Roblox has been down like 48 hours or more at this point. Some folks out there are having a real lovely weekend. My kids are also going through terrible withdrawals

https://twitter.com/roblox/status/1454900890180063238?s=21

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

I don’t know what roblox actually is and at this point I’m afraid to ask.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

jaegerx posted:

If Minecraft was made by Lego.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

jaegerx posted:

Its a platform that lets people make little games, and then somehow gets money from people. Its pretty much the game kids play before they get into Fortnite.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

jaegerx posted:

It's Minecraft but they figured out how to monetize child labour.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
So a toy that is connected to the Cloud but you can't play with it if there's no connection?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

It's a video game

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CitizenKain posted:

Its a platform that lets people make little games, and then somehow gets money from people. Its pretty much the game kids play before they get into Fortnite.

My kids much prefer Roblox to Fortnite, Minecraft or anything else right now.

The variety of games is what keeps them going back. Like you said, it's a platform that allows other people to develop games, and then people can play them. There's a platform currency called Robux, that you can purchase, and then use in various developer created games on the platform. My kids usually buy monthly passes to some games that unlock extra benefits, private servers, or they'll buy in game costumes. Developers then turn Robux people spend on their game into real money somehow. It's kinda like a Carnival with tickets, meets Steam maybe..... hard to explain and I'm so old I remember blowing on 8bit Nintendo carts.

Arsenal - basically Roblox counter strike
World Zero - basically Roblox World of Warcraft
Wild West - another RPG like game

My daughter is obsessed with the Pet simulator games. My son likes Funky Friday (a music rhythm game).

It'll also run on drat near anything. It'll run on an iPhone/iPad, my kids old Amazon tablets, Xbox, their computers with built in graphics.

It's stupid popular with the current elementary/tween crowd. Older kids tend to move on to other things, but there are a scary number of adult "content creators" for Roblox games on Youtube, and it's caused issues in my house to the point where YT was blocked for a while. gently caress I hate content creators sometimes.

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]

Sickening posted:

My crazy CISO has made the decision to require all phones need to be joined to MDM to access email and teams, which almost has a justification. She has also decided that passcodes on phones must be 10 characters long as well as about every other invasive policy people will refuse to join their devices to your mdm for. We don't have any company phones, these are meant for people personal phones.

Crazy CISO notwithstanding, why not just use the InTune App Protection Policy to do this, (or use Workspace ONE/Airwatch's Employee-owned profile) so you're just mucking with the business apps/data and leaving the user alone?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Crazy CISO notwithstanding, why not just use the InTune App Protection Policy to do this, (or use Workspace ONE/Airwatch's Employee-owned profile) so you're just mucking with the business apps/data and leaving the user alone?

I'm so glad my current company does this, and doesn't require full control over the phone. We use Citrix's Workspace offering, and the only thing I think they can touch is the managed Workspace apps.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Lord Dudeguy posted:

Agree on intune... to an extent.
You're gonna have to do some serious work to convince me that Airwatch isn't still a steaming pile of poo poo.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

Queer Salutations posted:

It's Minecraft but they figured out how to monetize child labour.

It’s pretty bad too. They target children to develop content to sell to other children under the idea that they can make money but they take a large cut of the profits and they make it difficult for the vast majority of developers to pull money out of the robux ecosystem. It has made the company one of the most profitable game studios off literal child labor and it’s largely ignored by everyone because it’s for kids.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

It's an unintentionally good introduction to capitalism and worker exploitation

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

jaegerx posted:

They also have one of, if not the largest Nomad deployments globally. I've heard some rumblings about the cause of the outage but am looking forward to an actual writeup, as I've been working on a very large Nomad deployment for the last few years and want to see if they blew up on the same kind of stuff my old company did.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
welp this is gonna be fun.

I was just informed that all users can access our ERP through applications such as Excel and Access and that they can apparently retrieve any information they want meaning that outside of the ERP application, there are no DB permissions.

It gets worse... We can't disallow applications from connecting to the DB because people have to use Crystal reports / ODBC / Excel / Access for whatever reasons.

We apparently want to keep this ability intact, but also somehow lockdown DB permissions for users accessing the DB outside of the ERP application. All the ERP permissions exist in solely to limit data access the ERP app, and are not applied to the DB itself? I think? I don't know. How this has been an unidentified problem for like a decade is beyond me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Wait so the ERP app just connects to the database as "service_account", has full access to the DB, and then enforces permissions in the client? And this DB server accepts connections from anywhere, and has to because that's how your company uses it?

:laffo:

Unless you firewall it off and proxy every DB request and check each query against a set of permissions I can't see how you can fix this.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I was just informed that all users can access our ERP through applications such as Excel and Access and that they can apparently retrieve any information they want meaning that outside of the ERP application, there are no DB permissions.

It gets worse... We can't disallow applications from connecting to the DB because people have to use Crystal reports / ODBC / Excel / Access for whatever reasons.

We apparently want to keep this ability intact, but also somehow lockdown DB permissions for users accessing the DB outside of the ERP application. All the ERP permissions exist in solely to limit data access the ERP app, and are not applied to the DB itself? I think? I don't know. How this has been an unidentified problem for like a decade is beyond me.

Do you work for my company? Been like that for as long as I've worked here.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
worse. ERP app connects to DB as user but enforces app perms within the app referencing a table within the db but doesn't actually do anything to restrict DB access, just front end access.

So like... everyone has a separate account and each account has full rights to the DB? I think? IDK I didn't develop the loving thing I just know it's a shitshow.

I could maybe enforce logon triggers to restrict other app access entirely but there's no loving way I can selectively enforce this poo poo the way that's being asked, if this works the way I think it does.

GreenNight posted:

Do you work for my company? Been like that for as long as I've worked here.

my coworker just asked me "wait don't we know other companies that use this software? why can't we ask them how they handle it?"
I'm in tears from laughing so hard, because I already know what their answer is gonna be.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Nov 1, 2021

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

my coworker just asked me "wait don't we know other companies that use this software? why can't we ask them how they handle it?"
I'm in tears from laughing so hard, because I already know what their answer is gonna be.

lol the amount of times I've heard a customer say, "We can't be the only ones using $Application like this, right? How has no one else even seen this before?".

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

It's worse than you're making it sound. Tightening permissions won't matter because the DB password for the ERP system is on sticky notes under every keyboard on your floor.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Don't worry a team of Hitachi/Fujitsu/IBM/Oracle/Whatever contractors can get your ERP under control for one or more million(s) of dollars and have effected no change in years despite consuming whole FTE's worth of your time.

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

How can you call it no change when I, a C-level executive, will emerge with a piece of paper saying the problem was corrected?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Remember when Congress called in all the IT executives to explain why the affordable care act website went down and they were all like we can fix it but they had no idea how it works. They didn’t write it or even host it.

That was good times.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

The tubes were full, didn't Congress explain it to them?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

jaegerx posted:

Remember when Congress called in all the IT executives to explain why the affordable care act website went down and they were all like we can fix it but they had no idea how it works. They didn’t write it or even host it.

That was good times.

There is this weird ecosystem of IT executives that testify in anything as a real source of income and notoriety. I happen to know one myself. They have even testified in front of congress!

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Sickening posted:

There is this weird ecosystem of IT executives that testify in anything as a real source of income and notoriety. I happen to know one myself. They have even testified in front of congress!

Same I only remember cause rackspaces cto was called up.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Goons, I have spent way too much of my time so far this week learning more about salesforce security.

This is all a pile of poo poo.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Sickening posted:

This is all a pile of poo poo.

New thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

skipdogg posted:

New thread title

:emptyquote: