Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
yeah but the fun is guessing who is doing it in which thread about what topic. sometimes I forget what my own bit in a given thread is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

inside job is such a weird show

the first four episodes are the most boilerplate netflix animated sitcom around, then it turns into something pretty close to futurama. except its also very episodic and depends on a lot of callbacks so you cant just skip to the better half

verdict: keep it on in the background while youre cooking/doing laundry and then only start paying attention during the yacht episode

also the big twist that the curmudgeonly deadbeat science dad doesn't have a hidden heart of gold and is the most hosed up sociopath in sitcom history was well played

Bro Dad has issued a correction as of 03:41 on Nov 1, 2021

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

the yacht episode is bullshit because the writers obviously couldnt be bothered to spend like five minutes researching how the flat earth conspiracy theory actually works

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

Also Dunc

God bless the nerd discourse!

Where are the hot Dune takes at? Im craving that discourse.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Yadoppsi posted:

Where are the hot Dune takes at? Im craving that discourse.

Mostly these two:

https://twitter.com/nataliereed84/status/1453471620496912387
https://twitter.com/UrsulaV/status/1453547237259235331

First one at least looks like obvious trolling to me, but who knows?

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Bro Dad posted:

inside job is such a weird show

the first four episodes are the most boilerplate netflix animated sitcom around, then it turns into something pretty close to futurama. except its also very episodic and depends on a lot of callbacks so you cant just skip to the better half

verdict: keep it on in the background while youre cooking/doing laundry and then only start paying attention during the yacht episode

also the big twist that the curmudgeonly deadbeat science dad doesn't have a hidden heart of gold and is the most hosed up sociopath in sitcom history was well played

My only big complaint about the show is that the emotional arc of the first season is completely unearned. Otherwise I'd agree with you - it's fine, has some good aspects, but overall it's nothing special.

ETA: Also, the animation is... distractingly fluid? Every episode I'd think to myself at least once after a scene, "that was way more frames than I was expecting." It's not a bad thing, just unexpected.

Falstaff has issued a correction as of 10:25 on Nov 1, 2021

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

YaketySass posted:

Mostly these two:
<snip>
First one at least looks like obvious trolling to me, but who knows?

Lame. Pretty standard failure to realize depiction doesn't equal endorsement. I was hoping for something out there like "Hollywood is white-washing the Fremen unless they cast only Taureg or Bedouin actors." Or a book fan screaming they ruined the Baron by not making him some mincing queen.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i started watching "foundation" because i enjoyed the novels as a kid, and i gotta say this is a pretty bad adaptation. like they threw a decent chunk of money at it so we get plenty of cgi spaceships and trantor looks cool, but at a certain point we're back to the classic rock quarry sets that every show since "blake's 7" has used to depict an alien world. basically the show is focused entirely on the first crisis of the foundation and i'm guessing their goal here is to make a multi-season sprawling production that does one crisis per season. it's a pretty bad way to adapt the book because the characterization of the various people across the foundation's existence is super-thin to the point where they're inventing whole character arcs for emperor cleon to fill time. not really digging it. lee pace is hot, of course, and i always dig seeing clark peters in things, he's just a charming actor. jared harris is pretty much the safest choice for hari seldon imaginable

the only interesting moments of the show are when they say something overtly political and you get whiplash from being pulled between the reality of our dying empire and the fantasy of theirs

at one point jared harris looks into the camera and says something to the effect of "the powerful always fear change, but what they fear most of all are the harbingers of that change" which is referring to his psychohistory bullshit but reads as a comment on climate change. which is weird, because harris did the exact same thing in "chernobyl" too

clark peters, as salvor hardin's father, gets a line where he explains that life on trantor (the metropole planet of the empire) was great and he lived among miracles. but he came to recognize that his life, as an ordinary worker, was built on the backs of trillions of people across the galaxy that worked so that he could enjoy those miracles. i'm sure this will lead to no self-examination by the western viewers of the show

i try not to care too much about anticapitalist moments in pop culture. its all in line with mark fisher's "capitalist realism" where these moments just serve as a pressure release valve on viewers' own problems with the capitalist mode of production. they occur, you feel seen for a moment and you think you're not alone (which you aren't) and you move on, assured that this means those sentiments are building and surely one day someone will do something about them? people have been conditioned to think that politics are downstream from culture, and the cultural signifiers they see in their media will lead to some sort of political change eventually

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
they're doing one season per crisis? that's insane. the whole first book/season should be anthologies of one or two hours per crisis so that season 2 can have the mule

Serf
May 5, 2011

mastershakeman posted:

they're doing one season per crisis? that's insane. the whole first book/season should be anthologies of one or two hours per crisis so that season 2 can have the mule

yes exactly. the book is a series of scenes where people have meetings in a boardroom once every century and hari seldon's hologram appears to tell them vaguely what to do. you'd think that would mean shooting it anthology style, but within the season, have 1-2 episodes with a cast, get some decent names in there for each little arc, then move on to "foundation and empire" or whatever if you really wanted to do multiple seasons for some reason. instead we have to learn everything about salvor hardin and emperor cleon

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

it’s good actually. I never read the books cause they seem really dumb but the actors are very good and the production is unbelievable for a tv show. it has problems but “not adhering closely enough to the lovely books” isn’t one of them

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Serf posted:

yes exactly. the book is a series of scenes where people have meetings in a boardroom once every century and hari seldon's hologram appears to tell them vaguely what to do. you'd think that would mean shooting it anthology style, but within the season, have 1-2 episodes with a cast, get some decent names in there for each little arc, then move on to "foundation and empire" or whatever if you really wanted to do multiple seasons for some reason. instead we have to learn everything about salvor hardin and emperor cleon

which is extra funny since they could hvae just started with the prequel book about hardin on trantor but doing that ruins the second foundation reveal, so they won't. i guess they want the first season to end with the triumph of Science over Religion?

indigi posted:

it’s good actually. I never read the books cause they seem really dumb but the actors are very good and the production is unbelievable for a tv show. it has problems but “not adhering closely enough to the lovely books” isn’t one of them

every major, immediately forgotten streaming show has phenomenal production values. remember maniac? didn't think so

mastershakeman has issued a correction as of 16:23 on Nov 1, 2021

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

ToxicAcne posted:

This is most upper middle class and above families in Pakistan. At least in Lahore, they tend to be Christians from an untouchable background.

A huge part of why I can't take North American Desi discourse seriously is how blond most people are to how much privilege they have.

Desi discourse is ftw

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

every major, immediately forgotten streaming show has phenomenal production values. remember maniac? didn't think so

no they don’t

e: lol maniac had community college production value that poo poo wasn’t phenomenal and I liked it

Serf
May 5, 2011

i wouldn't say that "foundation" has particularly high production values anymore. there's some very good cgi, but most of that budget is used up in the first episode to make trantor look the way it does. the rest of it is pretty standard. the 6th episode has some pretty bad cgi and lots of gravel pit/rock quarry action scenes that were laughable. the only location that i really like is synax, it actually has a cool style and feels very realized, even if the gaal's backstory is stupid

i looked it up and the 9th episode is titled "the first crisis" so i guess they are indeed going to try and stretch every crisis into an entire 10-episode season of hour-long television lol

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

they were deliberately sent to colonize a gravel pit planet I think it’s supposed to look like that. costumes & set design are A+ in every episode

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

mastershakeman posted:

which is extra funny since they could hvae just started with the prequel book about hardin on trantor but doing that ruins the second foundation reveal, so they won't. i guess they want the first season to end with the triumph of Science over Religion?

maniac rules

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

maniac was quite good but its true i had forgotten about it until mastershakeman mentioned it.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

it was deece I wouldn’t say it rules

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

maniac was pretty enough to make up for the rest of its shortfalls

similarly, remember altered carbon

Serf
May 5, 2011

terminus is explicitly an oceanic planet in the book with one large island and many small islands. synax proves that they can do ocean planet, so i dunno why they chose gravel pit for terminus. i agree that the sets look generally good, but the costuming is uninspired. lee pace in particular get stuck in that plastic-looking armor with the puffed up chest that looks weird on him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Serf posted:

in the book

there’s your problem

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

maniac was pretty enough to make up for the rest of its shortfalls

similarly, remember altered carbon

altered carbon had a good premise and dogshit everything else

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Altered Carbon was awesome, everything was stupid on 11 and the action was fun and you got to see Marc Antony’s dick again which I always appreciate. Poe was good and the part where the Mexican Granny got sleeved into a neonazi was adorable

e: Maniac was probably “better” but I remember so much more from Altered Carbon. second season sucked really really bad though I never even finished it

Serf
May 5, 2011

indigi posted:

there’s your problem

lol. i mean for me personally i would prefer to see them use an ocean planet as the backdrop rather than the drab and uninteresting gray hills of the gravel pit planet. terminus as depicted in the show is pretty boring, with the only visually interesting place being the vault and its field of colorful flags

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Falstaff posted:

My only big complaint about the show is that the emotional arc of the first season is completely unearned. Otherwise I'd agree with you - it's fine, has some good aspects, but overall it's nothing special.

its really weird how the early episodes seem to hint that the main characters ambitions of becoming the girlboss queen of evilcorp are in fact terrible ambitions that are making her neurotic and miserable but by the end of the series were supposed to be cheerleading her getting a promotion because her toxic rear end in a top hat employees who have done nothing but be toxic assholes for the entire show are apparently her friends now

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
Altered Carbon was interesting to watch it go from unbalanced cyberpunk noir to something that felt more like YA fantasy between seasons. Too bad for Mackie, it was loveable garbage and I would have liked to see how a 3rd season with two Kovacs still running around would have progressed.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
has anyone gotten less of a return on method acting than jared leto?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

it's a shame altered carbon didn't get a better adaptation because you could do a really good story once you get it away from Morgan being a weird rear end in a top hat, but they kinda dropped the ball

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

one of the problems with the second season of Altered Carbon is that it wasn’t sexy enough. I don’t mean having sex scenes or romance I mean like dudes and ladies in the background of scenes with their gennies out like it’s nbd, super sexy outfits, showing off muscles and skin, just horny ambiance. helps keep you interested between absurd exposition and overwrought emotional scenes

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Judakel posted:

has anyone gotten less of a return on method acting than jared leto?

I almost feel bad for him. Almost.

but it's also very funny to go so hard, trying so hard to outdo Heath Ledger like keeping a journal of things the Joker would think are funny that you're mailing your co-stars used condoms, for a movie that you end up being almost entirely cut from lol

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

raised by wolves is pretty good, it’s probably the most imaginative of the recent science fiction streaming shows even if it does lean a bit into silly cliches with the back story and somewhat one dimensional religious faction. it’s basic premise is interesting enough to sustain the broader plot threads about Kepler 21-B, I’m curious to see if they completely gently caress it up or manage to turn the bizarre story about android alien reproduction into something coherent and connected to the other stuff

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Good comics news?
https://twitter.com/cbwupdx/status/1455189356684009476?t=Qs2ZzGcipMpl477uGSD0FA&s=19

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Frog Act posted:

raised by wolves is pretty good, it’s probably the most imaginative of the recent science fiction streaming shows even if it does lean a bit into silly cliches with the back story and somewhat one dimensional religious faction. it’s basic premise is interesting enough to sustain the broader plot threads about Kepler 21-B, I’m curious to see if they completely gently caress it up or manage to turn the bizarre story about android alien reproduction into something coherent and connected to the other stuff

its one of the worst written shows ever produced

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

click the link

https://twitter.com/guymrdth/status/1455188412483440645

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

lmfao

take THAT, Marty!!!

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

why would you ever sit at the head of a table, indoors, wearing a helmet

DesertIslandHermit
Oct 7, 2019

It's beautiful. And it's for the god of...of...arts and crafts. I think that's what he said.

Every Disney critic who is absolutely thesaurasing their way through a review, good or bad, is absolutely an op now.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

embed for those who dont like the twitter videos that make you go to twitter

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOJ1cw6mohw

so im sure im going to regret asking this but uhhh didnt boba fett die at the same time and for the same reason jabba did

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

in the comics boba fett actually lived because star wars is dumb. i think they brought that back in the mandalorian? i can't remember