Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
The taller the tire profile, the better it will cut through snow. Low profile wide tires are Not Good for traction when it's powdery.

Also those super-speeds look a million times better than the first wheels posted from Tire Rack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kronix
Jul 1, 2004

KillHour posted:

Here's the OEM BMW one holy poo poo it's expensive.

https://www.shopbmwusa.com/product/11336/BMW-829M-INCH-STYLE-829M-COLD-WEATHER-WHEEL-AND-TIRE-SET-IN-JET-BLACK-MATT

There's this guy, and if I assume the $2900 is CAD, that works out to about the same as the tirerack option, and I'm close enough to Canada that I can drive up and have them put on (if they let me in with the Covid poo poo).

https://g80.bimmerpost.com/forums/showpost.php?p=28040309&postcount=35
https://www.super-speed.ca/flowform-rf05rr

Edit: I sent superspeed an email asking them for some more info. Their prices are good and the wheel itself looks a lot better so if it works, I'll be happy.

I have those same wheels on my M340i and I got them on sale for like $2k tires included.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheBacon posted:

I guess it’s good I’ve never covered.

Aren’t 18s better for winter if they clear brakes for more sidewall?

They are but I don't think 18's are going to fit. These are the best pictures I could get of the clearance with the OEM 19's on the front.

I did mention in my email to them that I'd prefer 18s if they will fit. So we'll see what they say.

The amount of brake dust these things make is absurd.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Oct 22, 2021

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Someone mentioned apex earlier, they have fitment guides for basically all prior generations. It might be worth shooting them a call/email see if they have a rec for winters for you, and as mentioned they run pretty affordable. I know for prior gen they have designed their 18s to clear like F80 brakes for some of the profiles.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

TheBacon posted:

Someone mentioned apex earlier, they have fitment guides for basically all prior generations. It might be worth shooting them a call/email see if they have a rec for winters for you, and as mentioned they run pretty affordable. I know for prior gen they have designed their 18s to clear like F80 brakes for some of the profiles.

I'll take a look. Their rep confirmed that the Superspeed 18s won't fit. They recommended the RF05 19*9.5 +25 5x112 66.6 Conical seat with 265/35R19 tires, and that seems like it should be alright as an option. MSRP is $401 CAD, which works out to ~$325 freedom dollars.

KillHour fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Oct 22, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
I liked the Apex wheels I had for my 328. I think they were Arc 8 in 17? Fantastically light. I was going to get a set for the 335 but someone was selling takeoffs with all seasons so that was easier.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

They do ship direct, which would save me a trip. I sent them an email asking what they would recommend and I guess I'll go with them if they have 18s that will work. If not, the Superspeed's seem like a good deal for the money and I like that they're a smaller company.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Hah, when I ordered the wheels, I think Apex had like 3 styles, and fitment was only for BMWs and some Mustangs? The list grew a fair bit!

PA isn't as bad as VT, so I haven't bothered with actual snow tires. I'm wfh now anyway, so the only price of not making the drive to daycare is just my sanity.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

They used to be cheap as chips they’re absolutely not worth it anymore imo

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

definitely going to pry the 340i part off and have a M'Lady badge

Already reserved the vanity plate FAKEM3

What's up FAKEM3 buddy :hfive:

I was super surprised no one had taken that plate yet, but I got it purely for the laugh and to take the piss out of purist M drivers

I've noticed a surprising amount of people taking pictures of it in my rear-view

Just ordered this today as I still felt the exhaust wasn't quite loud enough. I have a feeling this is going to turn the switch from 5 to 11 though

AWE Track edition

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Apex got back to me.

quote:

Hello,

Thank you for your interest in APEX wheels. Unfortunately at this time we do not have G8x specific fitments as the bolt pattern on the new chassis changed to 5x112. We do however have one option that can certainly work for a winter setup.

Our 19x9" ET25 Supra wheel has the correct bolt pattern and centerbore and will fit with a 275/35-19 tire both front and rear. This fitment will be 5mm more sunken in up front compared to the stock wheels and 18mm more sunken in in back. No spacers are needed for fitment, however if you want to mirror the look of the stock wheels, you could use a 5mm front spacer and an 18mm rear. Please be sure to use the correct length extended hardware if going the spacer route.

Here's a link to the wheel discussed:

https://www.apexraceparts.com/store/wheels/sm-10-wheels/19x9-5-et25-apex-sm-10-supra-wheel.html

With all that said, we do plan to release G8X specific wheels in the near future, however we do not yet have an ETA for availability. We will likely have some forged options in early 2022, however performance summer fitments will be prioritized. Flow formed options at a lower price point will follow as production bandwidth permits, however we do not have much of an ETA at this point for those.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

They're cool wheels, but LOL I'm not spending $475 apiece on winters.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Yeah that's a bit much. Detailed and prompt response though, have to appreciate that these days.

At a certain point do you just shop for a beater? Or are all used car prices still so hosed it's unreasonable?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
M\\\ Gloves
Driveway Angles
Automatic uptuned 440ix that can't drive in the winter

This thread has all the best BMW stuff

Nitr0
Aug 17, 2005

IT'S FREE REAL ESTATE

KillHour posted:

Apex got back to me.

They're cool wheels, but LOL I'm not spending $475 apiece on winters.

Why not?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
You can get the base M3 with 18's on the front so depending on offsets and whatnot you should be able to find something in that size that works and isn't stupid expensive.

Just find 2 base cars that got rear ended by a semi. Easy.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

fknlo posted:

You can get the base M3 with 18's on the front so depending on offsets and whatnot you should be able to find something in that size that works and isn't stupid expensive.

*got spun out into a snow bank

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Ugh you're giving me bad flashbacks to the "square roadstar" paradigm.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I still have 2 sets of winters for my f80

The extra OEM 437's I bought with the car with PA4's

And some BBS off tirerack with hakka R3's on them

The hakka's kick rear end.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Alarbus posted:

Yeah that's a bit much. Detailed and prompt response though, have to appreciate that these days.

At a certain point do you just shop for a beater? Or are all used car prices still so hosed it's unreasonable?

I already have 3 cars. It's not about needing to drive the BMW in the snow, it's about preferring it over my other car that I usually daily in the winter. I'm willing to throw a couple grand at that but not $inifinity.

fknlo posted:

The ones that got totalled from water damage in the hurricane.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
I was going to get snows on winter rims for my m2c, but theres such a limited choice of rims that clear the brakes I ended up getting a Honda Ridgeline instead - just going to garage the bimmer for the winter.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I actually talked to the SO about just driving the other car in the winter since I already have winter wheels and tires for it and her response was "I'm not paying $1200 a month for a car to sit in the driveway" so... yeah. I'm probably going to go with the canadian ones. Cheap, in stock and decent looking and I'm not going to go to the ends of the earth just for a half inch more sidewall. I just have to go get a covid test to go get em.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Fair enough! I've liked driving mine in winter so I can't blame you. Well, once I swapped out the aluminum shift knob for the leather M Sport one. That was uncomfortable in winter. :D

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Pulled the trigger on the Superspeed wheels. Total price out the door with mounting and TPMS through Adrena garage in Oakville is 1452 CAD + 188.76 HST. That works out to 1329.46 in freedom bucks. I also got some Blizzak LM-32s on Tire Rack that are getting delivered here for $1278.94 inc. tax. Could be worse, all told. Going to up to Timsland next weekend and have them put on.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!
2008 Z4m question...I was replacing my starter today, and noticed a small coolant leak from the top back section of the engine. It turned into a steady drip when I moved hose #1 in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BT93-USA-06-2008-E85-BMW-Z4_M32&diagId=64_1524
I can't make out what it's connected to, does anyone have any experience with this or should I just order a replacement hose? I'm assuming the hose to plastic quick connect is seeping but I can't see back in there well enough to tell. Does it just mate with some sort of metal hard pipe that's probably okay, or have I awakened the beast of german plastics on top of a hot engine?

Side note, of course this car has a secondary coolant pump just for HVAC. Of course.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

TacoHavoc posted:

2008 Z4m question...I was replacing my starter today, and noticed a small coolant leak from the top back section of the engine. It turned into a steady drip when I moved hose #1 in this diagram: https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=BT93-USA-06-2008-E85-BMW-Z4_M32&diagId=64_1524
I can't make out what it's connected to, does anyone have any experience with this or should I just order a replacement hose? I'm assuming the hose to plastic quick connect is seeping but I can't see back in there well enough to tell. Does it just mate with some sort of metal hard pipe that's probably okay, or have I awakened the beast of german plastics on top of a hot engine?

Side note, of course this car has a secondary coolant pump just for HVAC. Of course.

Self quoting, but I found the pelican parts article about coolant pipe orings so realized I had to get in there. I pulled the intake today, and yup it's just that hose connection, the o-rings are okay so that's good at least. Looks like I just need a $40 heater hose.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
I got bumped back to "Order Received" but after 2 weeks I'm back on the calendar for Week of November 21st Build :hellyeah:

My Subaru keeps getting involved in absurd accidents (rodents eating the wiring, neighbor's trash can impacting the door, truck load of gravel dumped on the windshield etc) so that bitch is gonna have like $1 in trade-in value by the time my M340 gets here

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Which year did BMW start offering the Parking Assistant that not only parallel parks for you, but can park into narrow spaces (either forward or backward) in parking lots between two cars on either side of you?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

truck load of gravel dumped on the windshield etc

How does this even happen

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Had some pedal vibration and squealing on my m2c so took it to the dealer, they said my rotors are warped and are going to replace the front pads and rotors under warranty. Oddly enough the same thing happened on my last car (civic si) but they just turned the rotors and it was fine. Pretty odd this happened at only 10k miles and no track or autox or anything, mostly highway driving. Oh well free new brakes!

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos
Same thing happened to me at around 3k miles. No issues since they replaced everything but I think they even did my calipers too.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
How are you guys warping rotors in 10k miles of highway driving? :psyduck:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
remind me to review my glorious 228i xdrive Grand Coupe for yall

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

you make me sad

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
i have been on a quest to drive the so called worst modern BMW for some time. I got a M-package 228i xdrive Gran Coupe a few weeks ago in Seattle from the rental car place... but when I went to take it out they promptly told me it had an open campaign so I couldn't take it. Off to a good start. This week I found a regular 228i xdrive Gran Coupe and was off to the races.

First Impressions
The exterior is really angular and there's something Hyundai Elantra like about the rising beltline. It's not an attractive car.

Interior
Holy gently caress there are a lot of weird angles and triangles in this thing as well as weird accent lighting. Garish, kind of ghastly.
Cheap materials. The new fake chrome poo poo feels bad and looks worse.
Lots of buttons in the iDrive system that are the dumb touch buttons (I don't know what they're called, but you don't actually press them to press them)
The instrument cluster is a weird high resolution screen that covers the gauges, with a lower resolution screen in the center panel between them. The effect is jarring and the lower resolution screen made me think my eyes were hosed up because the anti-aliasing looks terrible.
The dash sweeps sharply upwards to the top of the cowl. I usually keep my seat on the floor but had to elevate it to loving see over the cowl. Abysmal front and rear visibility.
The trunk is very shallow and it's smaller than the trunk on my 1-series.

Handling
Feels very front-wheel drive to me. It understeers constantly and lifting the throttle brings the nose back in to line just like a FWD car. There's no real sensation of the rear wheels doing any pushing of the car - it feels more FWD than the Golf Alltrack, where you can feel the rear wheels working on a long sweeper. That's not the case with this guy. The steering is artificially heavy and numb. It's heavy for no reason. Putting it in sport mode makes it heavier and doesn't change the feel. The steering is sad. The chassis and suspension feel pretty competent and predictable. Because of the poo poo visibility, it's impossible to locate the front corners of the car. I am sure eventually you would get used to it.

Powertrain
Honestly not too bad, overall. In sport mode, will hold gears and shifts relatively quickly. No flappy paddles is a strange oversight. Doesn't sound great but this is the el cheapo non M sport version. Decent torque and throttle response, light on top end power. Transmission sucks at low speed crawling, which is odd because it's an 8 speed auto not a dual clutch. Start-Stop implementation is jarring but if you keep it in sport mode it stays off, so that's nice.

Other poo poo
Full suite of electronic nannies and gadgets. All seem to work as intended.
Fancy package includes a nice big sunroof, heated seats and steering wheel and stuff. That is nice.
Wireless carplay on a kind of weird small screen.

Probably the best way to describe the car is a BMW-ized Jetta GLI, but worse. The version I drove also costs loving 39 thousand US dollars, a new top trim GLI is 32 grand.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Ha! I have a 228xi ~grand coupe~ right now as a loaner while my M2 is in the shop - I was hoping for at least a 3 series but it makes sense they use them for loaners I guess.

I basically agree with everything you said - it's as if BMW made a worse elantra. It's painfully ugly, the interior is shockingly poor, and I find the seats very uncomfortable and whatever fake leather they used to wrap the steering wheel just feels cheap.
The electronic nannies are really, really annoying if you don't turn them off - basically it's designed to be driven by people who go on instagram while driving - it steers itself around corners so you basically can't crash it if you are phone posting or something, woof.

I drove through a construction zone and the autosteer got confused and jerked the wheel in my hands, just awful.

Start stop is jarring, and it shut off on me a few times before I came to a complete stop and feels like it just stalls out. The fake metal interior trim lights up and looks worse than the lighting in my old fiesta ST.

Overall a fantastic move by BMW to basically make a cheapie FWD econobox for maximum profit for the majority of people who just want the logo and don't give a poo poo about interior quality, driving dynamics, handling, steering feel etc.

You would be downright stupid to spend $40k on this thing - just off the top of my head you could get the following for the same or less:
Audi A3 (superior in every possible way imo)
GTI/GLI
Telsa Model 3

I wonder how the Benz A-Class/CLA/GLA compare to this, no way they are worse.

When I was in Switzerland a few years ago, I rented a 218i 'active tourer' in stick with the 3 cylinder turbo which was much, much nicer to drive and had a great interior and some very nice features:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
wtf, I've never even heard of that. What is the platform? A Mini?

Smaller tail lights would clean it up a lot, it is like a BMW Fit / Fiesta crossbreed

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Euro MPV, they make a 7 seater 2 series in euro land

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Has anyone in here gone straight from an F30 to the equivalent G20, and would they say it’s worth changing up?

I’m perfectly happy with my F30 but BMW is making it very tempting financially to swap into a new G20 that I may consider looking into it further depending on what people say.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Caravana just offered me a giant boat full of money for my Subaru Forester and I’m thinking about taking it and making my dream of finding a silver E46 a reality. Is there a recommended forum with a classified section?

If I found a wagon with a 5 speed I’d never look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
e46forums most likely, but it's a loving terrible forum, just like all the other bmw forums.

or bimmerforums