Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Safari 15.1 is buggy as poo poo. Closed tabs forever showing up in the iCloud tabs list, Feedly can't open tabs in named tab groups, closed tabs reappear at random. Safari is a mess. Safari is a waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
page 1001 snipe

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Data Graham posted:

Jeez, that's the turning of a table. Time was that I championed the Mac app installation/deinstallation process for its self-contained directness: just drag an icon into a folder, or to the Trash. Whereas with Windows you always had to run a deinstall wizard or risk a million weird keys being left all over your Registry, and even then you could never be sure you got them all or there weren't any lurking surprises remaining.

I take it that's no longer a thing in Windows then?

I mean, the old System 7 Preferences folder was basically what Application Support is today.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Data Graham posted:

Jeez, that's the turning of a table. Time was that I championed the Mac app installation/deinstallation process for its self-contained directness: just drag an icon into a folder, or to the Trash. Whereas with Windows you always had to run a deinstall wizard or risk a million weird keys being left all over your Registry, and even then you could never be sure you got them all or there weren't any lurking surprises remaining.

I take it that's no longer a thing in Windows then?

Oh, it's still a thing.

The presumption that you can spew files just wherever is still alive and strong on the Windows side — it's just that some of the more vile attempts will trigger a UAC prompt, and that scares off users, so veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeery slowly, developers have been forced to learn to spew their files incoherently within the confines of the user file sandbox. More restriction hasn't read led to any consolidation — only more sensible selection of places not to consolidate in.

macOS has somewhat suffered the same fate, but from the opposite end: rather than being allowed to hide user stuff within the app packages or in clearly confined, but somewhat arbitrarily placed storage locations, a smattering of “rules” and potential storage spots have been added to the point where files have to be split up, but also don't have a single rule to… well… rule them all. What goes in Library, in Library/App Support, in Library/Containers and .whatever is in large part up the developer's preference and implementation. More freedom mixed with more restrictions has de-consolidated things and has led them to be so in more places.

…and then you have iOS app developers, with its restrictions and conventions, and Windows developers, with its lack of both, mixing in with each other (and with the Mac environment) to ensure that nothing is ever the same as anything else.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Centrist Committee posted:

Safari 15.1 is buggy as poo poo. Closed tabs forever showing up in the iCloud tabs list, Feedly can't open tabs in named tab groups, closed tabs reappear at random. Safari is a mess. Safari is a waste.

You should switch to Firefox. :D

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I mean I'm not sure there's any OS where you can just cleanly uninstall an app and it'll leave zero trace in all cases. It would be cool is Apple Sherlock'd AppCleaner and integrated it into the recycle bin. You'd think the OS should be smart enough to detect "oh hey I dragged an app in here, maybe let's clean up after it if we can" but I mean the fact that it doesn't is why we're having this discussion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Plus arguably it shouldn't. Say I delete Fartr and it leaves all my prefs in a plist. Then I change my mind because I can't live without Fartr, so I reinstall it. The plist is still there and all my prefs are the way I left them.

Either way it's nice to be able to clean it up by deleting a file rather than digging around in $HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE or whatever the gently caress

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh for sure. I mean you can UX it out any number of ways. Big Clippy energy "looks like you're trying to delete an app, would you like to remove all preferences too??" to just having it as a default-off checkbox in system prefs somewhere.

Heck put it in accessibility, with the rest of the useful settings. For some reason.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Martytoof posted:

I mean I'm not sure there's any OS where you can just cleanly uninstall an app and it'll leave zero trace in all cases. It would be cool is Apple Sherlock'd AppCleaner and integrated it into the recycle bin. You'd think the OS should be smart enough to detect "oh hey I dragged an app in here, maybe let's clean up after it if we can" but I mean the fact that it doesn't is why we're having this discussion.

There's some functionality for that with Homebrew casks (with the --zap option), but it depends on people writing their casks to capture all the locations where an application might dump files.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Martytoof posted:

There's nothing built in to cleanly do it, and that does suck, but you can just grab something like AppCleaner from freemacsoft which totally sounds like an adware download site but does exactly what you are describing. It'll analyze the app bundle and try its best to thwonk the leftovers.

Thanks, I saw that and that was exactly my reaction. I appreciate that it's standalone and... portable, I guess is the word.

Martytoof posted:

Oh for sure. I mean you can UX it out any number of ways. Big Clippy energy "looks like you're trying to delete an app, would you like to remove all preferences too??" to just having it as a default-off checkbox in system prefs somewhere.

Heck put it in accessibility, with the rest of the useful settings. For some reason.

Yeah, the Windows uninstaller usually asks if you want to remove all folders, which typically refers to settings or playlists or save games or whatever. The uninstallers may be provided by the developers, though, rather than detected by the OS, so as mentioned it may be a cultural thing between the platforms. Stuff still gets left in AppData all the time, though.

It's just kind of surprising there isn't anything baked in to macOS given how opinionated Apple is on just about everything.

BrianRx fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 29, 2021

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
quote != edit

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Martytoof posted:

I swear I've seen a macOS built-in cleanup behavior like this occur when I've dragged an app to the trash, but I can't remember which one or maybe I've lost my marbles.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Last Chance posted:

I swear I've seen a macOS built-in cleanup behavior like this occur when I've dragged an app to the trash, but I can't remember which one or maybe I've lost my marbles.

Hazel does it, but it's a third party app. When you drag an app to the trash it pops up a window asking if you want to delete all of the app's support files, too.

https://www.noodlesoft.com

I use it for folder automation stuff and it's a nice added bonus feature. (Although I may try switching to Shortcuts for my modest folder automation needs.)

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

This isn't new to Safari 15 TBH. I've had iCloud tabs occasionally refusing to sync for a long time; the newer version of Safari at least seem to sync my bookmarks and leave them in the correct order.

I would really love to know why Apple simply cannot do syncing right, after all these years. iCloud Drive stuff randomly won't sync, and even AirPlaying a podcast to my HomePod is liable to leave my phone not knowing where I paused it, or both the HomePod and the phone playing the same podcast simultaneously but at different points. I've long, long since given up on being able to sync music attributes or even starred tracks. None of it works.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Remember when they had iSync as a standalone app because syncing stuff from your Palm Pilot to your desktop was a thing you had to consciously do?

(And it never worked right either)

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

TACD posted:

This isn't new to Safari 15 TBH. I've had iCloud tabs occasionally refusing to sync for a long time; the newer version of Safari at least seem to sync my bookmarks and leave them in the correct order.

I would really love to know why Apple simply cannot do syncing right, after all these years. iCloud Drive stuff randomly won't sync, and even AirPlaying a podcast to my HomePod is liable to leave my phone not knowing where I paused it, or both the HomePod and the phone playing the same podcast simultaneously but at different points. I've long, long since given up on being able to sync music attributes or even starred tracks. None of it works.

Oh yeah I have a new music playlist that’s supposed to only show tracks I haven’t played and lol that garbage never syncs across devices. Worlds’s most valuable company, baby.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Oh yeah I have a new music playlist that’s supposed to only show tracks I haven’t played and lol that garbage never syncs across devices. Worlds’s most valuable company, baby.

Ah, so you’re getting a kind of syncing feeling.

:v:

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Booooooooooo

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

This is why I still don’t subscribe to iTunes Match or Apple Music. At least the USB cable syncs when I plug it in. Except for like 2 or 3 months a few OSs ago.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Martytoof posted:

Funnily enough, windows 8 era store apps had a operational sandbox so tight, they really had no place to fit files and configurations outside of it. The only vestiges of that is in Xbox one, current windows store lets developers poo poo your computer freely.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
Does any of the stuff left behind impact performance or are we trading tips on computer janitoring?

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

doingitwrong posted:

Does any of the stuff left behind impact performance or are we trading tips on computer janitoring?

It makes the iOS like “remove app and reinstall” trick not solve configuration-based bugs for one, also it will eventually become a problem on lower specs machines esp if the files are data caches.

MarxCarl
Jul 18, 2003

Sad Panda posted:

The cd & git reset was to get it to update as it was giving that error.

I tried brew update by itself in terminal. It fails.

code:
MacBook-Pro:~ obow$ brew update
error: invalid path 'homebrew-cask/'
error: homebrew-cask/: cannot add to the index - missing --add option?
fatal: Unable to process path homebrew-cask/
Error: Could not 'git stash' in /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask!
Please stash/commit manually if you need to keep your changes or, if not, run:
  cd /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask
  git reset --hard origin/master
MacBook-Pro:~ obow$ 
I tried installing a new package with brew using terminal and it gives a similar message and then successfully installs.

code:
MacBook-Pro:~ obow$ brew install --cask webstorm
Updating Homebrew...
error: invalid path 'homebrew-cask/'
error: homebrew-cask/: cannot add to the index - missing --add option?
fatal: Unable to process path homebrew-cask/
Error: Could not 'git stash' in /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask!
Please stash/commit manually if you need to keep your changes or, if not, run:
  cd /usr/local/Homebrew/Library/Taps/homebrew/homebrew-cask
  git reset --hard origin/master
Brew is broken somehow but I don't know where or how.

Yeah, brew is borked somewhere. As Quackles said try brew doctor and see what it tells you, and use the output to try fixing stuff, but the last time my homebrew install was throwing lots of errors I just ended up uninstalling and reinstalling.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

doingitwrong posted:

I think a lot of it is janitoring and mostly inconsequential. That said, as someone who has wandered into Application Support folder a non-zero amount of times in 2021 I do like to know that what I’m looking for isn’t hidden in a sea of old files from applications I deleted two years ago. Just personal preference.

There’s always the chance that an installer has dropped a system service or helper application or something. Most of these come with their own uninstaller script but then you have to remember to run them and not just drop the whole kit into the trash.

Ultimately the experience is inconsistent I guess. But still mostly janitoring I think. My work mac doesn’t run noticeably worse where I install and uninstall tools regularly, vs my home Mac where I keep a tidy ship with appcleaner.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 31, 2021

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean, at least they're not leaving extensions in your kernel anymore

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Another syncing feature I like about Apple, deleting all the spam text messages I get these days from iMessage, "this will delete the conversation across all your devices, are you sure you wanna do this????"

Never once has it deleted the conversation across all my devices

lignicolos
Dec 6, 2001

Another syncing feature I like about Apple, deleting all the spam text messages I get these days from iMessage, "this will delete the conversation across all your devices, are you sure you wanna do this????"

It works great for me with both iMessages and SMS on my Macs, iPhone, and iPad. The only hiccup is it won't remove SMS from my Apple Watch, although it will remove iMessage threads.

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
edit: wrong thread, sorry

Xabi fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 31, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Got a few questions rolling around in my head.

1. My Time Machine backup to my Time Capsule regularly tips over 1GB. I tried a utility like BackupLoupe, but didn't pay for it as it didn't seem like it really knew what was up either. Has anyone run into this before?

2. Related to question 1, I've bought a 2020 MBP 13" to replace my early 2015. I've been using the same image since probably 2008 thanks to a couple Time Machine jumps. Would I be well served by just using Migration Assistant for some data, rather than performing a full Time Machine backup? I figured it would give it the best chance for stability and reducing issues.

Thanks for any insight!

Violator
May 15, 2003

Yeah, I have the same problem. But I haven’t tried since the last update so I’ll try again and see what happens.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Is there a way I can check if my Mac is sleeping correctly?

I use ‎Amphetamine to keep it awake when I'm using it and it appears to sleep when I use an Alfred command or a Hot Corner but I just want to check that it definitely is and it's not just the displays that are turned off.

Edit: It looks like checking the 'Forced Sleep' option in Amphetamine would do what I want but I'd still appreciate a way to check

101 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 1, 2021

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

101 posted:

Is there a way I can check if my Mac is sleeping correctly?

I use ‎Amphetamine to keep it awake when I'm using it and it appears to sleep when I use an Alfred command or a Hot Corner but I just want to check that it definitely is and it's not just the displays that are turned off.

Edit: It looks like checking the 'Forced Sleep' option in Amphetamine would do what I want but I'd still appreciate a way to check

I use Sleep-Wake Logger

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Yeesh.. seems like Monterey 12.0.2 is a necessity, since 12.0.1 seems to be leaking memory hard for some apps..

https://www.macrumors.com/2021/11/01/macos-monterey-memory-leak-user-reports/

Reported misbehaving apps include Firefox, Apple's own Control Center, Calendar..?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Wait, there's a Monterey 12.0.2?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

No, but there oughta be one shortly to fix this leak mess

Edit: there's a 12.1 beta, build 21C5021h, but I doubt it fixes this issue

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 1, 2021

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ah poo poo I installed Google Drive on my new mbp and I guess they made some changes to the client since I last updated it? Is there any way to get the old ~/Google Drive/ folder back instead of having it sync to /Volumes/Google Drive/My Drive or whatever it's doing now? I literally just want it as a subfolder of my home directory :(

Gonna Send It
Jul 8, 2010

Martytoof posted:

Ah poo poo I installed Google Drive on my new mbp and I guess they made some changes to the client since I last updated it? Is there any way to get the old ~/Google Drive/ folder back instead of having it sync to /Volumes/Google Drive/My Drive or whatever it's doing now? I literally just want it as a subfolder of my home directory :(

Does right click -> make alias suit your needs?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I dunno it might, I’ll have to check. Mostly I’m annoyed that Mackup no longer detects a working Google Drive installation to sync all my settings. Ah well.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
Another cool thing about Apple software: sometimes I’ll try to airdrop a picture from my phone to my computer, but if I don’t have finder open on the airdrop tab, it’ll just make the little airdrop sound but the image will be nowhere to be found. Open finder to the tab, try again, and then oh hey it works as expected. Quality software, 11/10 heckin puppers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aendarasi
Oct 2, 2007
no relation

There's some crap with Monterey 12.0.1 where the windowserver process ends up eating a whole core at 100+%. Goes through battery pretty fast even on the new 14". Might be related to playing videos in fullscreen, but unsure. Killing it thru Activity Monitor seems to fix it but, logs you out hard (no chance to save work, etc) .

I also experienced Safari stuttering scrolling the forums. Restarting fixed that, I now think it was a memory leak but did not think to check at a time.

What I'm saying is, hang back from installing Monterey right now.