Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
Yeah, I mean, 99% of the movie is in an incredibly dry desert, with the blistering sun blazing down. I don't think at any point it gives off the impression like "nah you're fine for water".

I get that the whole "tut tut Siona you've left your mask off for 20 minutes now you're definitely going to die of thirst" thing is more of it than just "The desert is dry", but I don't think it really adds all that much to be like "No you don't get it, they EXTRA care" unless you're going to do something with that, which in this film, they don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
It‘s so incredibly hot and bright outside that the Non-Fremen can walk around at will without sunglasses, hats, sunscreen, stillsuits or any other kind of protection in broad daylight.

I think as in many other movies, these things only get emphasized whenever it serves the plot because otherwise the movie would be unwatchable.

Gabriel Grub
Dec 18, 2004

Mr. Smile Face Hat posted:

It‘s so incredibly hot and bright outside that the Non-Fremen can walk around at will without sunglasses, hats, sunscreen, stillsuits or any other kind of protection in broad daylight.

They are at the north pole, and all the outdoor scenes happen at sunrise or sunset.

Also, if you look close, Arrakeen is a completely covered city.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Popoto posted:

Dune about to break 300M at the box office.

Yeah, I think we’ll be good to have the rest of the books done if the good will follows along the coming years.

Has anyone ever reported how much they got from HBO

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

jeeves posted:

I was thinking if they depicted the worms mostly eating from below- how would Fremen ever get it up above ground to ride on, but then I remembered the Paul and Jessica scene and then realized they never really showed why it came above ground.

Bruh they need that vitamin D

Even goons are rumored to leave the house sometimes

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

!Klams posted:

Yeah, I mean, 99% of the movie is in an incredibly dry desert, with the blistering sun blazing down. I don't think at any point it gives off the impression like "nah you're fine for water".

I get that the whole "tut tut Siona you've left your mask off for 20 minutes now you're definitely going to die of thirst" thing is more of it than just "The desert is dry", but I don't think it really adds all that much to be like "No you don't get it, they EXTRA care" unless you're going to do something with that, which in this film, they don't.

seriously though seona put on the mask or you are spice grounded

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
If I were to choose one water-scarcity scene to include, it'd probably be the dew collectors reaping the morning flower fields and mulching them up.

Leto's change in expression from "hey maybe Arrakis is pretty after all" to "oh god I hate this place" doesn't even require any extra dialogue.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

The tent scene and the close up of the sand mouse also establish the water issue

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Beginning to think David Lynch's decision to just hammer people with the background details is probably ahead of its time, given the modern audience's complete inability to loving pay attention to the drat movie.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
saw this in imax over the weekend. holy poo poo.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

star eater posted:

one of the few movies i've seen which properly utilized imax

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM

star eater posted:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

sebmojo posted:

I have to say that the Sci-Fi (now d/b/a Syfy) channel's three-part remake of Dune and even their sequel miniseries series Children of Dune were superior to this current remake, and that's with an understanding that Children of Dune was in no way good. From the first scene in this remake, it's boring, the actors don't appear convincing as their characters and there is little to draw the viewer in. Dialogue seems truncated from prior tellings of the story, leaving the viewer feeling disconnected from the characters and their struggles.

Technobabble, a hallmark of most science fiction, is mentioned here and there in the order familiar to those who know the plot, but it's like they're just checking off boxes on a list someone told them they had to include. Pauses between lines and scenes are overly long and melodramatic, making scene transitions and stretches of silence have more dramatic impact than the actual bits that advance the plot or could provide character development.

Also I was less than impressed but hardly surprised that they felt obliged to make the first Fremen we see on camera Black. What's the point of that? Doesn't it break immersion for everyone else? There's this group of natives, not presumed Earth-descendant outsiders like the Attreides, but native people of Arrakis called the Fremen and they have common ancestry and hate outsiders... but oh yeah, this one's Earth African and that's totally normal and not jarring. I know that later in Herbert's books, in Chapterhouse Dune, they actually have the Bene Gesserit encounter literally Jews in Space 26000 years in the future, but this is meant to be a retelling of the original story which didn't include such anachronisms. I understand why they make such decisions, which makes me like it even less.

Thumbs down on 2021 Dune.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

kiimo posted:

lmao forgot about this. What is happening here? Wrong answers only

New Dandy Warhol just dropped

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 1, 2021

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!
Did the Harkkonen servants have heart plugs in the remake? I didn't notice any. Really liked how they depicted the Baron. Though I did wonder -

Baron promised not to kill Jessica. But isn't his roundabout way of dealing with her going to be super obvious to a bunch of psychic nun ladies? He's wary enough not to openly defy them, I feel like trying to rules lawyer your way through the problem won't work.

Why didn't Jessica use the Voice when she was scared that Paul might die in a duel with that Fremen warrior?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I went to see it with my wife, who hasn't read the books. She thought the baron was a snake dude like jabba the hut or something because of the long rear end dress thing he wears when he first floats up.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Super Waffle posted:

I went to see it with my wife, who hasn't read the books. She thought the baron was a snake dude like jabba the hut or something because of the long rear end dress thing he wears when he first floats up.

I loved that scene, as he's rising he says something like "Arrakis is mine" and I immediately saw that scene as a trial for god emperor.

I feel like knowledge of the books adds a lot of dark humor to the movie. It's weird and I chose to believe Denis did it for the meta-experience of our own foreknowledge being used to evoke feelings of prescience.

Samuel L. Hacksaw fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 1, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Anyone else think the Baron in his out of focus rising up like a snake thing remind you of Leto II, worm king and fake dong extraordinaire?

Just me?

e: lol ^^^^^^

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Panfilo posted:

Why didn't Jessica use the Voice when she was scared that Paul might die in a duel with that Fremen warrior? [/spoiler]

Its not in the movie, but in the books she tries this and the Fremen instantly recognises it and gets really mad about it so she has to keep it in when they continue the fight.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Panfilo posted:

Did the Harkkonen servants have heart plugs in the remake? I didn't notice any. Really liked how they depicted the Baron. Though I did wonder -

Baron promised not to kill Jessica. But isn't his roundabout way of dealing with her going to be super obvious to a bunch of psychic nun ladies? He's wary enough not to openly defy them, I feel like trying to rules lawyer your way through the problem won't work.

Why didn't Jessica use the Voice when she was scared that Paul might die in a duel with that Fremen warrior?

Technically, the bene gesserit aren't psychic they're just superhumanly good at reading body language among other things

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Every post has already been made, will have been made, before you post. You are trapped in a net of people who think too much like you, there's no hope of escaping...

THE GOONY PATH

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 14 days!

Buller posted:

Its not in the movie, but in the books she tries this and the Fremen instantly recognises it and gets really mad about it so she has to keep it in when they continue the fight.

That makes sense. My assumption was she wanted the fight to be fair because she was so confident in Paul so there was no need to cheat.

Shageletic posted:

Anyone else think the Baron in his out of focus rising up like a snake thing remind you of Leto II, worm king and fake dong extraordinaire?

Just me?

e: lol ^^^^^^
I didn't catch that imagery but I did like how he used his floaty gadget to constantly pull himself above everyone else.

Or how he floats to the traitor and it shows him in profile, his belly about to knock the guy over.

Cheap Trick
Jan 4, 2007

uber_stoat posted:

that stubborn frenchie is never gonna let us see any of this poo poo.

Not cut footage. That's just Ferguson and Chalamet fighting over the last donut on the catering table.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Panfilo posted:

It would have been super obvious what she was doing, and they needed to make a good impression.

Paul especially, since at that point in the story his image and possible reputation with the Fremen is what's keeping them alive.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

moths posted:

It would have been super obvious what she was doing, and they needed to make a good impression.

Paul especially, since at that point in the story his image and possible reputation with the Fremen is what's keeping them alive.

You can't voice a room full of people (without them realizing it) as far as I know!

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

moths posted:

Yeah, it's a duel, outside interference is obviously cheating and the whole point is to win over the Fremen. Aristocrats are going to get how a duel works even if they don't fully get Fremen culture. Your family and friends don't get to chip in, it's single combat.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
they're brutal

https://twitter.com/SecretsOfDune/status/1455199462477946887?s=20

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Paul is championing Jessica in the first place so no one will have to take on the opprobrium of fighting a weirding woman/Sayyadina. Be kind of rude for her to insert herself back into things.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I definitely got Leto II vibes off of that baron scene, so my wife thinking he was a snake dude tells me it was 100% intentional.

I would have liked to see a short scene of Duncan's body being dragged off screen or something after his death. Or Raban mentioning they have his body to the baron.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Panfilo posted:

Did the Harkkonen servants have heart plugs in the remake? I didn't notice any.

That's a Lynch movie thing, not a book thing

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Super Waffle posted:

I definitely got Leto II vibes off of that baron scene, so my wife thinking he was a snake dude tells me it was 100% intentional.

I would have liked to see a short scene of Duncan's body being dragged off screen or something after his death. Or Raban mentioning they have his body to the baron.

I would have liked to see any check in with the Atreides retainers and the Harkonnens at the end. Duncan’s body is still sitting in a hallway somewhere, but Thufir and Gurney both just dropped out of existence pretty much.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That's a Lynch movie thing, not a book thing

If you had to choose between one lynch thing for new Dunc

milking the poison cat

or

heartplugs

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Vampire Panties posted:

milking the poison cat

or

heartplugs

Milking the cat. Thufir with his little parasol gently pulling on cat teats must be in the 2bd part.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Vampire Panties posted:

milking the poison cat

or

heartplugs

Lightning surrounding the sand worms

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

its really funny how they include that scene, make it super memorable by adding something to the book, and then write thufir completely out of the movie so it doesn't actually matter at all

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Cheap Trick posted:

Not cut footage. That's just Ferguson and Chalamet fighting over the last donut on the catering table.

I hope they scanned it for poison.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

StashAugustine posted:

its really funny how they include that scene, make it super memorable by adding something to the book, and then write thufir completely out of the movie so it doesn't actually matter at all

They wrote and filmed the scene at the end where he succeeds in not assassinating Paul. It’s in alternative redux fancy pants edit. just got cut from the theatrical because Dino de Laurentiis was an absolute madman

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

No electricity when the worms surface was a ding against the new movie but no version will ever live up to the molten fan art worms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I really liked Thufir and Piter going white-eyed when doing their mentat calculations.

I really liked literally every single thing about this movie.