Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

sleepwalkers posted:

They are bright lights and if your finger doesn't cover the entire thing, it's uh... a bright light.

I guess I've never had it not cover the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
It is impressively bright. My thumb turns bright red when I do it but it works well so whatever.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Is there no way to remove the at a glance box on the top of the main screen page? Even when turning at a glance off it still displays the date and doesn't let me put any other widget or icon there

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

The fingerprint light is bright but not "blinding" whatsoever.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgOvpIK_kSA

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Seriously, WTF is wrong with Google assistant?

A couple months ago when I was trouble shooting, I used the command "remind me at 9pm to take out the trash" and it would always respond with some variation of "I'm unable to do that, try again later" or just open a Google web search.

I opened assistant today, and without saying anything, it set a reminder at 9pm to take out the trash'.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

It's been working fine for me :shrug:

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Some things I've noticed after a few days with the Pixel 6 Pro compared to my OnePlus 7 Pro:

--apps are kept in memory much longer
I had battery optimization turned off for a lot of stuff on my oneplus but even so, the pixel is a lot better about keeping apps in memory and that's really nice to have.
--fingerprint reader is slightly worse
Shame that physical sensors just arent feasible for a flagship anymore considering they function better and are cheaper to make but it is what it is.
--display is noticeably more muted than the oneplus, which i had on the least vivid setting
Really stood out to me at first, but I got used to this very quickly.
--AOD is fantastic
It's strange that it's not enabled by default since it keeps the fingerprint scanner active and thus makes the phone more convenient to use.

Overall I'm very happy with my purchase despite some minor flaws that I guess just won't ever go away on Android (choppy scrolling in some apps, share menu and password autofill still being somewhat poor).

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Camera performance when looking directly at the sun is pretty impressive. On Samsung this would just be a big black silhouette.

Also got the bellroy leather case and it's super high quality look and feel but probably zero drop protection and extremely stiff buttons.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Camera performance when looking directly at the sun is pretty impressive. On Samsung this would just be a big black silhouette.

Also got the bellroy leather case and it's super high quality look and feel but probably zero drop protection and extremely stiff buttons.

That's definitely auto HDR, which I thought most phones could do by now. But I guess implementation can vary.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

That's unfortunate to hear. It's the best looking case I've seen, and I was hoping to get one when certain colors came back in stock.

This Spigen Liquid Air is fine and functional, but I'm tired of plain black lumps. I miss my 3xl fabric case.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Hire Kenny G to play for me in the elevator.

TVGM posted:

There's a system-wide One-handed mode. I don't know if it's phone specific, but on the 6 Pro it's under Gestures.

https://www.howtogeek.com/736287/how-to-use-one-handed-mode-on-android/

edit: looks like it goes back to full-screen after about 10 seconds if you don't touch the screen

Unfortunately this is a feature of Android 12 and she's on 11. Also as you said, it disappears after a few seconds.

Is there no way through root adb commands to accomplish this? Or even just some sort of app that will make the screen size smaller permanently?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Blooster posted:

Or even just some sort of app that will make the screen size smaller permanently?

Buy a smaller phone...

Edit: I went back to make sure I wasn't an rear end in a top hat by saying this about someone who lost mobility or something, but it turns out that I'm an rear end in a top hat.

Slimy Hog fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Nov 1, 2021

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ilkhan posted:

Done it twice more since posting this. Definitely going back to the 4XL. Not quite sure if perma or just during exchange.

You shouldn't have to, I know. But you should factory reset first just to give it a try for a day or two.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Ola posted:

That's definitely auto HDR, which I thought most phones could do by now. But I guess implementation can vary.

For sure; here's something I just took the other day looking right at the sun with my Pixel 5 -

Sure you can make out the house in the trees and everything, but SexFart's picture is definitely more "well defined" or however you'd describe it.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Sab669 posted:

For sure; here's something I just took the other day looking right at the sun with my Pixel 5 -

Sure you can make out the house in the trees and everything, but SexFart's picture is definitely more "well defined" or however you'd describe it.

The other photo has better conditions for it. The sun is shining down the river so stuff on the riverside is lit up fairly well. In your picture, the shore is completely in the shade, but you can still see some detail so it's not too bad.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

My Pixel 3 has recently starting randomly pausing any media I am playing (Youtube, Plex, any of my audio apps, etc.). I can't find any rhyme or reason to it - bluetooth headphones connected, disconnected, updated from Android 11 to 12, optimized apps, unoptimized, it happens regardless of all of that. It's never unpaused anything though. Googling this is getting me nowhere.

Does anyone have any idea what could be happening? It's extremely annoying.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Does audio cut in or out? I'm wondering if your charge port is thinking a headphone adapter is plugged in? I've seen it happen if enough crud gets stuck in there over the years.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
YouTube pauses for me when going into power save mode. But I don't think PocketCasts does.

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Slimy Hog posted:

Buy a smaller phone...

Edit: I went back to make sure I wasn't an rear end in a top hat by saying this about someone who lost mobility or something, but it turns out that I'm an rear end in a top hat.

You're not rear end in a top hat but we looked up phones for the better part of two hours and no small phones came up. Like literally none 5" and smaller.

Is there a way we can do this with a resolution change? I just don't think the screen will leave some black space for her and would probably just stretch the image or something.

BONESAWWWWWW
Dec 23, 2009

Good thinking about the charging port (thanks!). I cleaned it out just in case, but I don't think that's it. I caught it happening a couple times the other day while plugged in to my car using Android Auto.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Blooster posted:

You're not rear end in a top hat but we looked up phones for the better part of two hours and no small phones came up. Like literally none 5" and smaller.

Is there a way we can do this with a resolution change? I just don't think the screen will leave some black space for her and would probably just stretch the image or something.

what about Palm?
https://palm.com/pages/product

I kinda want one lol
e: under $70 on eBay... hmm

Stevie Lee fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 1, 2021

frh
Dec 6, 2014

Stevie Lee posted:

what about Palm?
https://palm.com/pages/product

I kinda want one lol

That's actually a great idea, I asked her though and she said she needs the unlimited photo backup of Pixel phones.

I feel like there's gotta be a way to have one handed mode on permanently. Even if it's just changing the phone's resolution somewhere using adb or something

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

The Plam phone is awful and unless you can find an unused one you can genuinely watch the battery tick down a percent per minute.
They're hilarious as a novelty tho

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

FWIW, no restarts here with my P6P since I got it so it really seems like an outlier.

I have to say, I'm fully enamored with this phone. Feels good to be back to stock Android (switched away from the Pixel 5 for daily use after the OP9P came out and been using the Z Flip 3 since release). Having stuff like call screen back is super nice.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the Z Flip 3, but I think it'll only be pulling duty when I want a light carry and aren't worried about taking pictures.

I hate to admit it since I liked the phone, but the only thing the OP9P has as an advantage now is charging speed and that's just not enough to keep it around. Also can't really see the point of the OP10P now, how could it possibly improve enough to justify any higher price than the P6P?.

Same with S21 Ultra. It just holds a slight advantage at specific zoom situations, but otherwise the P6P is a better experience all the way around. I was going to hold on to it to maybe trade in on the S22 Ultra since they were talking about it basically being a Note, but I really don't know what I would actually do with it at this point so probably just going to sell it off instead.

I wish it had a flat screen, but otherwise I think they nailed the shape. I've been wanting them to tighten the radius of the screen corners for awhile now and they are significantly more squared off than the previous iterations of Pixel and OnePlus. It really has more of a Note shape which I like, just a little rounder.

I agree that night sight is a little hot as far as how much it brightens stuff, but that can be managed. I'm also really impressed with the low light shots it takes without night sight engaged.

2x digital zoom on the main camera has also been super useful for framing because I'm not really noticing any softness. I'm curious how they are doing it because they are still 12.5mp images. I would have thought if it was just a straight crop of the pixel binned output, it would be lower resolution. So, super rez zoom is doing some wizardry there. The metadata also retains the same focal length as 1x as well, but that could be a bug.

Battery life has been great for me, been on track for 7-9hr SoT over the course of a waking day which puts it up there with some of the best Android phones I've used.

Most of the improvements I could think of for the P6P are mostly just software tweaks at this point. I can't really think of any feature that I find outright missing or deficient.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Blooster posted:

she needs the unlimited photo backup of Pixel phones.

Do they even still have that?

I like how you have the choice between two objectively hideous color options or just black. Jesus gently caress would it be so hard to make a phone thats not ugly? We dont all slap cases on them

Also p cool that buying direct, they will finance the $200 protection plan buttttt not the phone itself? What the gently caress is that? I'm hosed anyway, if I wanna ditch my S20 I have to pay off my 9 months remaining tab balance plus the bonus they gave me when I got it to lessen the up front cost, so thats over $500 in one shot. I gotta deal with this crapola for another 6 months at least.

codo27 fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Nov 1, 2021

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

Blooster posted:

Full resolution unlimited backup stopped at pixel 2, I believe. I know 4 and on do not have it. There's some amount of low res backup, but not original quality.

And not to be rude, but seriously, what you're trying to do is fundamentally change how the phone works. You make it sound super easy, and it's not going to be that way. I get that it's a problem, but your requested solutions don't exist or don't work. You need a smaller phone, maybe an iphone mini? Or to play with Android 12 and see if it suits the need.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Battery life has been great for me, been on track for 7-9hr SoT over the course of a waking day which puts it up there with some of the best Android phones I've used

Can you please share how you're getting this kind of SOT? What settings did you adjust? What apps do you use?

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Honestly if you need a good small phone the iPhone mini is probably your best bet.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

Can you please share how you're getting this kind of SOT? What settings did you adjust? What apps do you use?

Didn’t adjust poo poo, just using it. Use Awful, Chrome, Google chat mostly.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

bull3964 posted:

Didn’t adjust poo poo, just using it. Use Awful, Chrome, Google chat mostly.

I don't understand how you're getting that kind of battery life. My usage is similar, and I get 5 hours.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

For small-ish phones, the Galaxy S22 coming out early next year is supposed to be smaller than the S21. Not 5" but around 6". With the small bezels du jour, it'll be smaller than the G5 plus I still have, which is good enough.

If it turns out to suck and there's no other similarly sized Android phone on the market, I'm changing teams.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

withoutclass posted:

Honestly if you need a good small phone the iPhone mini is probably your best bet.

This, also this year's version of the mini supposedly has markedly improved battery life over last year's, which was not super great.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Is there a way to wipe my Google assistant back to default settings?

This morning it decided it wants to open my grocery list, except that it finds 3 of them. When I click on one to open it, it says "sorry I can't do that"

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

withoutclass posted:

Yeah, if a Pixel 5 or 4a is too big still, iPhone Mini is the other option, but it's expensive. Or the SE 2nd gen, if it's more about reaching everywhere on the screen more easily one handed rather than a smaller physical device per se.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

CLAM DOWN posted:

I don't understand how you're getting that kind of battery life. My usage is similar, and I get 5 hours.

I dunno.

I mean this morning I'm at 1:30 SoT and I'm only down to 86% battery.

Last night I went to bed at 47% battery and I was at 4hr 47min of SoT.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

The Android 12 lock screen clock is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Complete dogshit. We have a standard way of displaying time. Use it. gently caress I hate this.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Fitzy Fitz posted:

The Android 12 lock screen clock is the dumbest thing I have ever seen. Complete dogshit. We have a standard way of displaying time. Use it. gently caress I hate this.

Oh my god what is wrong with some of you with this extreme hyperbole? "the dumbest thing I have ever seen"? "Complete dogshit"? Yes, they need to fix it so there is no leading zero. Get a grip.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

If its hours on top of minutes as I've seen in some screenshots itt, then yes its the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Doubly so if it cant be changed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

codo27 posted:

If its hours on top of minutes as I've seen in some screenshots itt, then yes its the dumbest thing I've ever seen. Doubly so if it cant be changed

Wait, you want to show minutes before hours? What?!