Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Seconded. My experience with the DAV wasn’t one where anyone working there wasted platitudes about my twenty years of service. We never had any feel good conversations about anything but they dug through my records and told me what and how to claim things. I did my final physical and came back with a 90% rating.

A month after my separation I got mail from the DAV saying the VA missed things and I should claim more. I went back for a second exam and came out with 100%.

I would have never gone back if they hadn’t told me to and I would never have thought to claim all the things they found in my records. Use them and if you feel like they helped you, consider spending 300 bucks on a lifetime membership so they can help other vets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.
I had my county VSO submit for me and got 40% 18 years after I got out. 10 for tinnitus. File today, don't wait like I did.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Mr. Nice! posted:

Sounds like its moving at the speed of government. I have faith that you'll have an answer in the next few days. The greenie weenie never stops. I'm sorry you're going through this.

There's the speed of government, then there's blowing off a senator's office which is what this feels like.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
Wish I had something useful to tell you, but man I couldn't even navigate the GI bill without agony let alone what you're going through. Good luck, sincerely hope they get their act together.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

There's the speed of government, then there's blowing off a senator's office which is what this feels like.

Maybe try to find an alternative target for the Senator's office to contact? Light a fire under the rear end of someone who does gaf. I have no idea who that would be since it sounds like you found the person who us supposed to bottom line your request.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I was recently diagnosed with Obstructive Sleep Apnea, so I've been trying to get it added to my rating via VA.gov, but for the past two weeks any time I try and submit the form it just says "There has been an error submitting your information." I called the VA, and they routed me to "IT Support," which actually just ended up being the same number I had already called.

No real question here, because I guess the only option is to try and submit it via mail. Was more wondering if anyone else had tried to submit a claim and had similar issues recently.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Did you use a VSO rep or file on your own? Getting a DAV rep on it would be a pretty good step to take at this point, if you're flying solo.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Did you use a VSO rep or file on your own? Getting a DAV rep on it would be a pretty good step to take at this point, if you're flying solo.

I've never used a VSO rep, I was trying to file on my own. I haven't made any changes since getting out in 2015. Guess I'll look into a finding a VSO.

I'm also still not entirely sure what my Tricare/VA health insurance covers. I've been being seen at Ramstein from 2015 until now, and now I'm being seen at a (seemingly really good) VA clinic here in Missouri. Since I was being seen by the military instead of the VA before, I didn't really have to worry about these things. Where could I go to find out exactly what plan I'm under and what all it covers?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

GoGoGadget posted:

I've never used a VSO rep, I was trying to file on my own. I haven't made any changes since getting out in 2015. Guess I'll look into a finding a VSO.

I'm also still not entirely sure what my Tricare/VA health insurance covers. I've been being seen at Ramstein from 2015 until now, and now I'm being seen at a (seemingly really good) VA clinic here in Missouri. Since I was being seen by the military instead of the VA before, I didn't really have to worry about these things. Where could I go to find out exactly what plan I'm under and what all it covers?

Are you retired? Do you pay for TriCare?

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

Hekk posted:

Are you retired? Do you pay for TriCare?

I'm medically retired at 70%. I was only in for 4.5 years, so I'm not RETIRED retired, just medically. I do not pay for Tricare. I think I have Tricare For Life or Tricare Prime?

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GoGoGadget posted:

I'm medically retired at 70%. I was only in for 4.5 years, so I'm not RETIRED retired, just medically. I do not pay for Tricare. I think I have Tricare For Life or Tricare Prime?

Where in Missouri are you?

Also, you pay for Tricare, you probably just have an automatic allotment for it. If you receive your 70% Air Force retirement vice whatever your VA disability rating was, I can almost guarantee that’s the deal.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

Where in Missouri are you?

Also, you pay for Tricare, you probably just have an automatic allotment for it. If you receive your 70% Air Force retirement vice whatever your VA disability rating was, I can almost guarantee that’s the deal.

Springfield, Missouri. I called the Missouri Veterans Commission and left a voicemail. As for paying for Tricare, I receive $1,566.71 a month, which is the rate for 70% with spouse. Unless that's baked in to the compensation amounts, I don't seem to pay for anything. My rating is from the VA and not the Air Force, if that matters. The AF was only going to give me 60% (they didn't accept the 10% for anxiety/depression.)

I'm legally separated from my spouse now though, so I should probably do something about that..

GoGoGadget fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 3, 2021

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
So you took the VA rating over the AF, good.

If you've been out this long you might just go for a full re-evaluation, have a VSO go over everything in your medical records, adding the new claims for filing. You'll probably see an increase in mental health ratings too.

A 70% rating with the VA means you have access to everything but dental at the VA, that you'd still have to pay for, either out of pocket or out of benefits. Also 70% is the threshold to apply for Individual Unemployability, if you're having trouble with work.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I spoke with my case manager at my senator's office. In response to her "hey, it's been over two weeks, what gives?" email the VA sent the same "give us two weeks" email they sent three weeks ago. After getting that she made some phone calls, reached nobody, and left voicemails that haven't been answered.

I called the White House VA hotline so I think I've done everything I can do.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

So you took the VA rating over the AF, good.

If you've been out this long you might just go for a full re-evaluation, have a VSO go over everything in your medical records, adding the new claims for filing. You'll probably see an increase in mental health ratings too.

A 70% rating with the VA means you have access to everything but dental at the VA, that you'd still have to pay for, either out of pocket or out of benefits. Also 70% is the threshold to apply for Individual Unemployability, if you're having trouble with work.

I guess my main concern is if I have to go to an ER. The VA here is a clinic with no ER, so I don't know if it'd be worth getting health insurance via work for that.

I'm fine when it comes to working, most of my rating is from heart surgery that hasn't really negatively affected me physically. That's also why I'm somewhat hesitant to get a full re-evaluation - I'm worried they'll decrease it.

McNally posted:

I spoke with my case manager at my senator's office. In response to her "hey, it's been over two weeks, what gives?" email the VA sent the same "give us two weeks" email they sent three weeks ago. After getting that she made some phone calls, reached nobody, and left voicemails that haven't been answered.

I called the White House VA hotline so I think I've done everything I can do.

I had to have my Representative's office contact the VA once for a debt I had. The VA essentially responded to them with a "If you want this changed, change the law."

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
You should ask the clinic about your Choice card. It's basically what you'd hand the ER in place of insurance and they VA will pick up the bill.

Getting re-rated for mental health alone can be a significant boost. And it's pretty rare for the VA to reduce ratings anyhow. Unless it's something like temporary raise for treatable cancer, it's not likely to go down.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 3, 2021

U.S. Barryl
Apr 16, 2003
I got a proposal to reduce from 70% to 50% and I just went to my state VA office and requested a hearing. It paused all action on the reduction while I got another exam and made sure to remember to discuss all the points that the first psychiatrist apparently failed to write down.

I think they do reevaluate mental health claims at least after the first five years. But if you're just asking them to add a rating for mental health they probably won't try to reevaluate your heart condition unless you specifically ask them to raise your rating for it. If you're happy with the rating for a specific condition just don't ask to change it.

I think Crusty is saying to have a VSO reevaluate your files to make sure you've filed a claim for everything you should have. Not to have the VA reevaluate your heart condition specifically.

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
For what it’s worth using a VSO is definitely the way to do it. It’s their job and at least the one I had was an absolute machine who managed to whip through my entire medical record in a few minutes and in layman’s terms told me the things they would put me in for and asked if there was anything else I wanted to try for. I don’t know how much behind the scenes work they put in but the whole process went pretty smooth and quick with very little effort on my part and I didn’t have to pay anything.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working
Anyone have any good VSO contacts in Ohio? I helped my dad file, we did it ourselves because he didn't have any luck with any VSO and he's up to 80%. The DAV gave him a rep, got power of attorney, and then promptly ghosted him; no contact on his rep, and the Cleveland number he was given was for a phone that was never answered with the voicemail box full. He's contacted the county office and they were similarly useless, told they'd get back in contact with him, then never followed up and don't have any record of him or know his name when he calls etc. The VA didn't give him anything for most of his major issues (back problems, chronic pain syndrome, long-term opiate dependency).

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

GoGoGadget posted:

I guess my main concern is if I have to go to an ER. The VA here is a clinic with no ER, so I don't know if it'd be worth getting health insurance via work for that.

The VA gives you 72 hours to notify them of a non VA ER visit and will cover it based on your eligibility.

Some eligibility info plus the contact info for reporting

https://www.va.gov/communitycare/programs/veterans/emergency_care.asp

Evil SpongeBob
Dec 1, 2005

Not the other one, couldn't stand the other one. Nope nope nope. Here, enjoy this bird.

rifles posted:

Anyone have any good VSO contacts in Ohio? I helped my dad file, we did it ourselves because he didn't have any luck with any VSO and he's up to 80%. The DAV gave him a rep, got power of attorney, and then promptly ghosted him; no contact on his rep, and the Cleveland number he was given was for a phone that was never answered with the voicemail box full. He's contacted the county office and they were similarly useless, told they'd get back in contact with him, then never followed up and don't have any record of him or know his name when he calls etc. The VA didn't give him anything for most of his major issues (back problems, chronic pain syndrome, long-term opiate dependency).

Some states have a VSO. I used my county VSO to file and they were great, sorry about his.

E:. https://www.va.gov/vso/

Evil SpongeBob fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 4, 2021

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

I just went in person to the county VSO when I was in Columbus. Had to schedule another actual sit down appointment but it was easier to do in person than playing phone tag. Might be worth walking into their office and making it harder to ignore the person standing at their desk.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009

GoGoGadget posted:

Springfield, Missouri. I called the Missouri Veterans Commission and left a voicemail. As for paying for Tricare, I receive $1,566.71 a month, which is the rate for 70% with spouse. Unless that's baked in to the compensation amounts, I don't seem to pay for anything. My rating is from the VA and not the Air Force, if that matters. The AF was only going to give me 60% (they didn't accept the 10% for anxiety/depression.)

I'm legally separated from my spouse now though, so I should probably do something about that..

If you are medically retired (greater than 30% DoD rating), then you are elligible for TRICARE Prime or Select (Tricare for life isn't until you start receiving Medicare). You could theoretically have opted to not enroll in either. However, if you are medically retired, your enrollment fees for Tricare Select are waived, so it's possible you are enrolled in Tricare Select which is why you aren't seeing an annual enrollment fee.

Edit: that being said, you do actually have to go enroll with Tricare after retiring, so make sure you didn't just forget to do that...

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 4, 2021

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

US Berder Patrol fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Feb 18, 2022

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
Got a message from my dad. A letter from the VA arrived for me.

It's the letter dated September 8th that I already saw that my VR&E counselor emailed me.

I shared the good news with my case worker at Manchin's office and she told me she spoke with the VA today and they are currently reviewing my case. Fingers crossed this gets resolved soon.

lite_sleepr
Jun 3, 2003
I'm a GS employee now :)

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

McNally posted:

I shared the good news with my case worker at Manchin's office and she told me she spoke with the VA today and they are currently reviewing my case. Fingers crossed this gets resolved soon.

lite_sleepr posted:

I'm a GS employee now :)

Both of these are awesome. Good luck fellas

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Eason the Fifth posted:

Both of these are awesome. Good luck fellas

Yes, but are both of these related?

:thunk:

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
I got a response from the VA today.

In the mail. In Scotland. Postmarked 19 October.

quote:

Under 38 CFR 21.130, VRE station 315 (Huntington Regional Office) does not have the authority or jurisdiction to approve foreign training. A request was made to the Pittsburg Regional Office on your behalf and per your request to transfer your VR&E services to the regional office of jurisdiction. The request was denied.

Under 38 CFR21.130 and M28C.V.C.1 Foreign Cases, the documentation provided did not meet the 38 CFR21.130 and M28C.V.C.1 requirements for legal residence in Scotland for the length of time necessary to complete the training. Additionally, the personal hardship criteria in 38 CFR21.130 and M28C.V.C.1 was not met.

Cool, denying me because I didn't provide something they didn't ask for. Doesn't sound like moving goal post to me at all. Nope nope, cool.

And they're still saying I can use VR&E to pursue a degree that doesn't exist in the US, too. Awesome.

I notice they didn't say anything about my argument saying the program I'm pursuing doesn't exist in the US, so there's that at least.

I'm really thinking about giving up and just using my GI Bill.

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

McNally posted:

Cool, denying me because I didn't provide something they didn't ask for. Doesn't sound like moving goal post to me at all. Nope nope, cool.

And they're still saying I can use VR&E to pursue a degree that doesn't exist in the US, too. Awesome.

I notice they didn't say anything about my argument saying the program I'm pursuing doesn't exist in the US, so there's that at least.

Keep fighting McNally, this is just the Voc rehab bullshit.

rifles
Oct 8, 2007
is this thing working

McNally posted:

They want you to give up, it's less work for them. Don't give them the satisfaction of screwing you out of your benefits.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?
The good news is that they've pissed off my caseworker at Manchin's office. They're still telling her that they need more time, even though a decision was made a month ago.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Why are you constantly being hosed with over benefits?

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Do you like muskets?

Syrian Lannister posted:

Why are you constantly being hosed with over benefits?

Because Crab Dad is having an amazing military experience. Someone has to bring balance to the force.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Has anyone still in IRR received a letter from their respective branch personnel office in regards to covid vaccination status? I received a letter from NAVPERS stating all members of the IRR are required to submit proof of vaccination status by like mid December I think. I generally throw all IRR stuff out when I get it regardless of what it is but I just wanna make sure ignoring this won't somehow screw with my disability or whatever somehow. FWIW I am vaccinated and I could have just sent the information in with the form they gave but I just assumed at the time it didn't really matter and tossed it in the shredder.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I'm doing two short term study abroad tours next year and I have to pay about $5k in fees next month, they have associated classes but they're not until next year and I won't be registered for them until then. I have 100% GI Bill, does it usually cover/reimburse you for fees for things like studying abroad? It's all done through my university, so there's no having to worry about paying a foreign school or anything.

They're essentially electives I'm taking where at the end of each quarter we spend a couple weeks in each classes' respective country.

I sent an email to my school's veterans office but figured I'd ask here too.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

I've been trying to schedule a meeting with my local VSO for a month now. Dude never answers his phone and he has just stopped responding to my voicemails. I still can't submit my claim for my new sleep apnea diagnosis online, I keep getting the same generalized error with no options for resolution.

Guess I'm just going to do it by mail.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Is there not another VSO around? Or is he representing multiple orgs?

I'd probably just go over his head at this point and contact the national org general line. Your rep doesn't need to be in your city, you don't even need to meet with them in person, everything can be done over the phone, with emails and a printer/scanner. I would specifically request not to be assigned that rep, however.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mustang posted:

I'm doing two short term study abroad tours next year and I have to pay about $5k in fees next month, they have associated classes but they're not until next year and I won't be registered for them until then. I have 100% GI Bill, does it usually cover/reimburse you for fees for things like studying abroad? It's all done through my university, so there's no having to worry about paying a foreign school or anything.

They're essentially electives I'm taking where at the end of each quarter we spend a couple weeks in each classes' respective country.

I sent an email to my school's veterans office but figured I'd ask here too.

My understanding is that id highly dependent on what the fees are designated for, with some designations getting covered and others not. IIRC educational expenses will be reimbursed but living expenses wont. I wouldnt bet on my memory here though, you should talk to your program director / student vet coordinator / VA office

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Yep, that's what it looks like. Found this on my schools FAQ.

quote:

Can I do Study Abroad?
The ability to use your VA benefits while pursuing a study abroad program is very limited. Please make sure to check with our office before enrolling in a study abroad program. The VA will only cover UW faculty-led programs. You will not be able to use your VA education benefits for direct exchange programs or third party programs such as CIEE, SIT, and IES. If you are attending a UW faculty-led program, you are able to use your benefits, assuming your courses are required for your degree program, either as core requirement(s) or as elective credit(s). Your monthly housing stipend will be based on your enrollment at the UW and the actual dates for the program.

If you are using Post 9/11 benefits, the benefits will not cover any fees associated with the study abroad, unless the study abroad option is mandatory for your degree program. It will not cover any costs related to travel, or third-party charges. The benefits will cover the instructional cost for the study abroad program. Please note that this will be different from the study abroad charge as posted on your MyUW.

I'm using post 9/11 benefits, and these are electives for me so it looks like it won't cover those fees. Sucks I'll have to pay $5k($7k with flights) out of pocket but I think it's worth it for the experience, especially considering they're probably one of the only things I'll end up paying for out of pocket during 2 years of grad school.