Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

https://i.imgur.com/8Lr9x37.mp4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

What game is this?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Amazon's pile of spaghetti code, also known as MMO New World.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I feel like we should be getting more New World material if their code is so easily exploited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLtLxTahSjo

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
7+ minute video of a glitch that could be demonstrated in 30 seconds. :argh:

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Kennel posted:

7+ minute video of a glitch that could be demonstrated in 30 seconds. :argh:

Because the people white knighting for a megacorporation are THAT thick.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
This is Youtube, where people make 2 hour long video essays to say something that could be said in 2 minutes. Frankly, 7 minutes is some impressive restraint.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

The less popular hardcore band, 7 Minutes

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
7 minutes is like 14 whole trips to mars

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
And three more minutes than it takes to save the world

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

New World is really one to watch - it's just exploding with new bugs and exploits that are increasingly hilarious.

Yesterday it was auction house sales that happen when the seller is offline disappear into the ether - the client isn't logged in to see that it gains money, so the money vanishes.

Today, they discovered how to paste images into the chat that go beyond the chat box border, letting you cover other people's screens with giant images.

https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1454100615139835915

Marcade
Jun 11, 2006

Who are you to glizzy gobble El Vago's marshmussy?

I would say did they not QA this but even if they did I'm sure the QA people would be ignored.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I would hazard a guess that what happened here is the techbros that Amazon put in charge figured they could launch with a minimum viable product and then iterate towards a workable solution. This approach kind of works in industry tech, so long as your customers are prepared to put up with a lovely product while they do large-scale QA for you. In games, though, there's plenty of other games that people can play, so you have no real reason why gamers should play your game. And while gamers are probably more willing to put up with barely-functioning wads of code than most people, they also have no particular reason to stay with your product if it stops being fun. Contrast that to productivity or commerce tech, where your product can be where all of their working data is or their only source for a good they need.

Couple that with the devs having to work with a tech stack that really wasn't intended to be used for MMOs...

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I would hazard a guess that what happened here is the techbros that Amazon put in charge figured they could launch with a minimum viable product and then iterate towards a workable solution.

That, in fact, appears to be more or less what happened.

https://twitter.com/cubesos/status/1453756798025011206

Tempest_56 has a new favorite as of 20:09 on Oct 29, 2021

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
I struggle to think of a way any game more complicated than your average solo-dev project can conceivably launch "minimum viable" at all. If it has any kind of real budget at all it's going to be far more complex than any tech web poo poo and, crucially, will have assumptions baked into the very core of everything that become incredibly difficult to untangle.

There's a reason there's usually lots and lots of prototyping before gearing up to full production.

(Anyone remember CCP always talking about how they'd roll out broken features and talk about "iterating" on them? They wouldn't ever follow up…)

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

this all reminds me of the chinese MMO where you could paste html/javascript into chat

also you could drunkenly throw up on somebody to make them drunk, and if they got drunk enough, the guards would put them in prison (for X irl hours)

there were a ton of stories in the old griefing thread

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Good game you have there
https://twitter.com/_watsu/status/1453506380074213381
I'm just imagining the character vibrating through all attacks like The Flash.

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

DemonTrigger posted:

Good game you have there
https://twitter.com/_watsu/status/1453506380074213381
I'm just imagining the character vibrating through all attacks like The Flash.

Amazon should reinvest in energy as their dumpster fire is rapidly approaching nuclear fusion.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

New World is like bitcoin , a recreation of all the possible mistakes related to the concept.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

honestly i dont think they can do it cheaper than mechanical turk and github copilot, its a win-win scenarrio :smile:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Carthag Tuek posted:

this all reminds me of the chinese MMO where you could paste html/javascript into chat

also you could drunkenly throw up on somebody to make them drunk, and if they got drunk enough, the guards would put them in prison (for X irl hours)

there were a ton of stories in the old griefing thread

Ah I remember that, it was the one where you could learn a bunch of different martial arts right? I wonder if the servers are still running

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Is that age of wushu

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Nyoro posted:

Is that age of wushu

That's it! There's actually a sequel supposedly coming out this year(They haven't posted anything on Twitter since June though...) but they "rebranded" it to The Swordsmen X: Survival. It's still basically the same game though.

EDIT: The thread for the original game is Still active so I assume it's still playable in some form

RatHat has a new favorite as of 15:59 on Oct 30, 2021

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Oh man, I remember Age Of Wushu. I got in just a bit above the ground floor, when goons were really getting popular in that game. There was so much potential for fun and shenanigans, but not so many glitches, bugs, or exploits outside of the previously mentioned HTML in chat one. What killed goons interest in the game, IIRC, was that it was discovered that when you logged in, your credentials were sent to the server in plaintext. At exactly the time this was discovered, pretty much all of the top goon guild members and bank accounts were mysteriously emptied of all their items, money, everything. The devs were petitioned, and either ignored us, or decided to do nothing, I forget which. The prospect that literally anyone could just see your account credentials and log in as you at any time basically killed all interest in the game for a ton of goons after that. There were some *amazing* griefing stories though. From puking on pubs in a bank which lead to a city-wide riot, to tricking all the leaders in a rival guild into getting themselves jailed so we could steal the top spots of a few of the kung fu schools, to bullying people into taking off all their clothes to prevent Mothra attacks. Just so much ridiculous poo poo was built into the game and it was awesome.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

neogeo0823 posted:

Oh man, I remember Age Of Wushu. I got in just a bit above the ground floor, when goons were really getting popular in that game. There was so much potential for fun and shenanigans, but not so many glitches, bugs, or exploits outside of the previously mentioned HTML in chat one. What killed goons interest in the game, IIRC, was that it was discovered that when you logged in, your credentials were sent to the server in plaintext. At exactly the time this was discovered, pretty much all of the top goon guild members and bank accounts were mysteriously emptied of all their items, money, everything. The devs were petitioned, and either ignored us, or decided to do nothing, I forget which. The prospect that literally anyone could just see your account credentials and log in as you at any time basically killed all interest in the game for a ton of goons after that. There were some *amazing* griefing stories though. From puking on pubs in a bank which lead to a city-wide riot, to tricking all the leaders in a rival guild into getting themselves jailed so we could steal the top spots of a few of the kung fu schools, to bullying people into taking off all their clothes to prevent Mothra attacks. Just so much ridiculous poo poo was built into the game and it was awesome.

I remember enforcing pedestrian only zone in cities by dragging people of their horses being pretty funny.

But the translation was pretty buggy, I remember some quest items were translated as one way in the quest text, another in the objective tracker and of course the actual item a third way.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hel posted:

I remember enforcing pedestrian only zone in cities by dragging people of their horses being pretty funny.

But the translation was pretty buggy, I remember some quest items were translated as one way in the quest text, another in the objective tracker and of course the actual item a third way.

We'll never forget the majestic Beach Sheep. And of course, Dongfang making GBS threads, whose manor we unofficially crashed at for a bit till we could properly take over a guild palace.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

That was the one where you paid for your subscription with subway gift cards, right?

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Tunicate posted:

That was the one where you paid for your subscription with subway gift cards, right?

I think so yeah, though there were some other ways as well, even if that was the least sketchy.

I finally have my life in order and know I can't play MMOs without wrecking it, but some parts I really miss.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

Tunicate posted:

Yeah, and it was the preferable way to pay for things since as far as I know your credit card info was also stored in plain text.

neogeo0823 posted:

We'll never forget the majestic Beach Sheep. And of course, Dongfang making GBS threads, whose manor we unofficially crashed at for a bit till we could properly take over a guild palace.

The hunger meter being labeled "Follow the laws of the Flying Eagle Stronghold!" was pure gold, god bless that translation job.

Age of Wushu was an irredeemable trashfire but it was a good time up until things really went to poo poo. I'll always have fond memories of clipping into prison cells to panhandle and try to sell hemp to the people who were stuck there for a couple of hours and unable to do anything about it.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Did they buy any?

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Hel posted:

New World is like bitcoin , a recreation of all the possible mistakes related to the concept.
https://twitter.com/bobvids/status/1454995118486966277

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...

The Lone Badger posted:

Did they buy any?

I believe one whole person, a profitable venture it was not.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Not so much a glitch as a very unfortunate oversight:

quote:

So I was playing re4 and I found myself in a bit of a dilemma. Every time I reached for a grenade or my knife in a panic I would find myself with a new unfortunate bruise on my tits.

It had me thinking if we are going to continue place items on the chest in vr there might need to be a body size/type choice in the future…cause ow…

Anyway was just sharing my thoughts, RE4 is great and definitely worth the bruises. Keep it classy!

quote:

Thank you! I was playing RE4 for the first time last night, and I kept reaching above my left boob for the knife until I realized, nope, knife IS left boob. Grab boob = grab knife. Game is great, but big design oversight tho. This is what you get when the playtesting/development/etc is a sausagefest! Nobody thinks of the titties 😔

quote:

Beware the deadly titty knife.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/qd8zbf/chest_items_a_practice_in_boob_punch/

Quill
Jan 19, 2004

Triple A game development at its finest.

I wonder how many of their teamleads had experience developing an MMO.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Quill posted:

Triple A game development at its finest.

I wonder how many of their teamleads had experience developing an MMO.

From what I understand, AGS threw a lot of money around to hire a bunch of industry vets, got an army of them, and proceeded to ignore every single suggestion they had to give until they all quit in frustration

I assume that's the reason we're seeing a bunch of old classics like rendering HTML from chat messages

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

I think it's only fair that they introduce a new default scheme where the knife is around the front of the crotch area for easy grabbing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ryanbomber posted:

From what I understand, AGS threw a lot of money around to hire a bunch of industry vets, got an army of them, and proceeded to ignore every single suggestion they had to give until they all quit in frustration

I assume that's the reason we're seeing a bunch of old classics like rendering HTML from chat messages

Amazon Games is like "what if a goon project had a AAA budget"

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

PYF Game Glitch: knife IS left boob

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

There's a deep cut Mistborn joke in there somewhere

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rarbatrol
Apr 17, 2011

Hurt//maim//kill.

Ryanbomber posted:

If you know of any article about this, I'd love to read it.