Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
How much is a Solarii worth exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Piter got the shaft in part 1 and they better not do my man Thufir dirty in part 2.

Demi Adejuyigbe's letterboxd review is perfect

quote:

crowd was dead silent for the entire film– except for when stephen mckinley henderson was on screen. everybody lost their drat minds. just absolutely constant screaming. throwing poo poo at the screen, taking flash photos. whole theater on beatlemania mode. large and loud boos the second he was off-screen, i couldn't even hear the dialogue. heard sniffling in the audience when stephen mckinley henderson's character offered his resignation, saw a father and son embracing in joy when oscar isaac turned it down. three rows started swag surfing when henderson's eyes rolled in the back of his head. when his name came up in the credits it was like we won the super bowl or some poo poo. i quitely asked my friends "jesus, are these people in stephen henderson's family or something" and a guy in a stephen mckinley henderson sweatshirt scoffed and said "i loving wish!"

tried to join in the fun by saying "lady bird reunion" when chalamet hugged him and a group of teens laughed at me and said "no poo poo deacon yancy." i looked it up when i got home– that's the name of stephen mckinley henderson's character in two spike lee movies.

fun movie! incredible score. annoyingly bothered by the terrible font choice for overlays. hope stephen mckinley henderson's in the next one too

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
In imax I noticed that Piter is doing the white eyes at the start, when he’s hanging out with the Baron in the Feyd “Sting” Rautha Memorial Steambaths, even though he’s not obviously calculating anything in the scene as it stands. Might be another scene that was edited down for time

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Panfilo posted:

From the book:

https://imgur.com/a/c4BpigM

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Yeah but how long does an eighth of spice last?

Na'at
May 5, 2003

You need chaos in your soul to give birth to a dancing star
Lipstick Apathy
I really wanted to like this movie but it was as bland as washing white bread down with water. I get not wanting to go crazy with exposition but unless you go in to this knowing all about the universe there's so much to pick apart in this I can't understand who it's meant to appeal to.

If you're a budding young nerd and this is your first experience of Dune you're gonna wonder where the hell all the robots are, why come they don't use their super awesome lasers more than twice in the whole movie, why Fremen don't have shields, why that guys eyes roll back in his head, or why the Atreidies army is special enough for the emperor to care. If you come in to it as a Dune fan it should make you wonder why the Sardukar showed up to Arrakis in completely different armor than the Harkonnen soldiers they were meant to be impersonating ("SARDUKAR Behind us!"lmaooo)? Why were they shooting a loving lazgun at Duncan's shielded 'thopter? Why is the Lady Jessica, super human product of a centuries long breeding program and a life time of study in self control as well as mind/body awareness a bigger bundle of shivering nerves and anxiety than a Jewish granny in an Adam Sandler flick?

BR2049 looked gorgeous this just looked so loving boring aside from when Chani would show up for a quick Oil of Olay commercial shot. People give the miniseries poo poo for it's costuming but at least I can believe that an over-rich future royalty would dress in outrageous colors and hats, in this it's all monochrome and motorcycle gloves. gently caress.

At least part 2 is already green light for completions sake.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

So 620,000 space bucks for ten grams of spice?

I had kind of a hard time telling what exactly was spice in some scenes, just looked like dirt with glitter in it in many shots.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Na'at posted:

If you're a budding young nerd and this is your first experience of Dune you're gonna wonder where the hell all the robots are, why come they don't use their super awesome lasers more than twice in the whole movie, why Fremen don't have shields, why that guys eyes roll back in his head, or why the Atreidies army is special enough for the emperor to care.

as someone who never read Dune or watched any other Dune, all of this seemed well explained excep that last clause

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Orange sand is spice, The movie requires you to think about it a little because the material is too dense. A lot of the worldbuilding is in the scenery and minor interactions.

Idgi, why are so many folks pretending it's a mentat-level leap of logic to go "oh, his eyes roll back in his head when he does numbers, must be a space math guy, house accountant?"

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Panfilo posted:

1/8 standard-space-gram of spice

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Groovelord Neato posted:

No electricity when the worms surface was a ding against the new movie but no version will ever live up to the molten fan art worms.

The best thing I can say about the worm design is that they do seem like miniature sand storms. I like how they're barely seen, a force of nature. I love the lava worms as much as the next nerd, but they are way too visible to evoke that.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

are there any rumors about who is playing feyd rautha in part 2?

sting was one of the best things about lynch's dune imo that will be a hard performance to follow

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The eyes-rolling-back to do super math better conveyed what mentats did in the movie than the books tbh.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Na'at posted:

I really wanted to like this movie but it was as bland as washing white bread down with water. I get not wanting to go crazy with exposition but unless you go in to this knowing all about the universe there's so much to pick apart in this I can't understand who it's meant to appeal to.

If you're a budding young nerd and this is your first experience of Dune you're gonna wonder where the hell all the robots are, why come they don't use their super awesome lasers more than twice in the whole movie, why Fremen don't have shields, why that guys eyes roll back in his head, or why the Atreidies army is special enough for the emperor to care. If you come in to it as a Dune fan it should make you wonder why the Sardukar showed up to Arrakis in completely different armor than the Harkonnen soldiers they were meant to be impersonating ("SARDUKAR Behind us!"lmaooo)? Why were they shooting a loving lazgun at Duncan's shielded 'thopter? Why is the Lady Jessica, super human product of a centuries long breeding program and a life time of study in self control as well as mind/body awareness a bigger bundle of shivering nerves and anxiety than a Jewish granny in an Adam Sandler flick?
I have not read Dunc, and most of this made perfect sense to me. Although I may have missed something in that I didn't realize the sardukar were supposed to be in disguise.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
They weren't. The satellites were knocked out tho and communication.

That poster is inputting some book poo poo in there

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.
Sardaukar disguised as Harkonnen didn't really come up, nor did the fact that House Atreides soldiers were getting awfully close to being as good as the Sardaukar. In the book this is one of the reasons the Emperor and the Baron go after the Duke. Overall the movie could have done with way more intrigue and less action I think.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009
movie was good.

I just want some more Dune videogames.

Dune, Dune II, Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle For Dune all occupy a nostalgic spot in my heart.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
As a massive Dune lover (gross) and longtime poster in this dumb and awesome thread, my take on the movie is I loved it. Villanuve wrestled and packed an uncredibly unruly and introspective novel that has time and again slipped the bounds of conciseness and neat movie structure, and he turned in an exciting and great looking sci fi movie.

I think that's something to be grateful for. Lynch got to the finish line by turning a 1/3 of his movie into a non-sensical clip show. Even the extended Dune series are mortally afflicted with a lack of budget and more importantly a lack directorial vision to make something visually compelling as well as being faithful to the book.

Imagine if any other director had their mitts on this movie. Michael Bay? "Ah, poo poo, things just got real," Paul says, as the camera spins around him in the orthinicopter. Spielberg? Everyone survives, as Leto comes out smiling with a tooth missing. Ridley? Actually Piter is really a robot, and been spinning everyone around so he can test his gimp suit spiders against them. Actually that one isn't so bad...

Anyway, movie is good despite shorning off some of the weirdness and complexity of the book. I've said my piece!!!

Vernii
Dec 7, 2006

Flakey posted:

Sardaukar disguised as Harkonnen didn't really come up, nor did the fact that House Atreides soldiers were getting awfully close to being as good as the Sardaukar. In the book this is one of the reasons the Emperor and the Baron go after the Duke. Overall the movie could have done with way more intrigue and less action I think.

If I remember right, Sardaukar involvement gets outed almost right away because of how well they fight, and since the Harkonnens didn't plan on taking any prisoners, disguises becomes a useless plot point to cover.

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

moths posted:

The eyes-rolling-back to do super math better conveyed what mentats did in the movie than the books tbh.

I'm glad Thufir didn't have red stained lips and cheeks, because David Lynch's sapho-drinking Mentats all look like:

Also if Sapho juice was so ritualized, i think there would be a device or specific way you drink it. Like I imagine they drink it out of a goblet that only leaves a long thin red line on your bottom lip and chin, which is then tattooed over. Just like how heavy smokers sometimes have one festering tooth since they put the cigarette at the exact same spot over years

A Jupiter fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Nov 1, 2021

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

oxford_town posted:

movie was good.

Dune, Dune II, Dune 2000 and Emperor: Battle For Dune all occupy a nostalgic spot in my heart.

the people who made that open world Conan game are making a Dune version of it. i leave it as an exercise for the reader to decide if this is a good thing.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

All the people we see in exterior shots without some kind of heavy covering are Atreides, either in their arrival parade or like, Paul going out to talk to the guy watering the palm trees. Arrakeen seems relatively water-fat and the Atreides aren't exactly broke, either.

Panfilo posted:

Did the Harkkonen servants have heart plugs in the remake? I didn't notice any. Really liked how they depicted the Baron. Though I did wonder -

Baron promised not to kill Jessica. But isn't his roundabout way of dealing with her going to be super obvious to a bunch of psychic nun ladies? He's wary enough not to openly defy them, I feel like trying to rules lawyer your way through the problem won't work.

Why didn't Jessica use the Voice when she was scared that Paul might die in a duel with that Fremen warrior?

I think the Baron is planning to cheat the Truthsayer because he can say honestly and directly, "I did not kill Jessica Lastname, nor did I order her death." Because he didn't! Technically he may not even know exactly what became of her. The same reasoning goes down to the random guys at the bottom of the chain.

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

Vernii posted:

If I remember right, Sardaukar involvement gets outed almost right away because of how well they fight, and since the Harkonnens didn't plan on taking any prisoners, disguises becomes a useless plot point to cover.

It may have been pointless but it's all part of the feints within feints that I love.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Nessus posted:

All the people we see in exterior shots without some kind of heavy covering are Atreides, either in their arrival parade or like, Paul going out to talk to the guy watering the palm trees. Arrakeen seems relatively water-fat and the Atreides aren't exactly broke, either.

I think the Baron is planning to cheat the Truthsayer because he can say honestly and directly, "I did not kill Jessica Lastname, nor did I order her death." Because he didn't! Technically he may not even know exactly what became of her. The same reasoning goes down to the random guys at the bottom of the chain.

plus the guys who actually did it would have certainly been liquidated if Paul and Jess hadn't gotten them first.

Buller
Nov 6, 2010

Vernii posted:

It get sotued before it even happens, when they are still on Caladan they talk about "they will probably bring Sadauker against us"

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

Technically, the bene gesserit aren't psychic they're just superhumanly good at reading body language among other things
It's hinted that their use of the Water of Life, in addition to being a substance that they can't stop using once they've used it once (meaning it's highly addictive?) also gives them a limited form of prescience.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
in the books hawat mentioned they thought at most the Harkonnens would bring maybe 1 legion to attack the atreides because space travel is so so expensive

instead they brought over like 10 legions with sardaukar and they basically spent the entire sum of income from mining spice for 80 years or w/e on this one big attack. So Leto accepted the arrakian fiefdom thinking might have won against 1-3 legions or whatever but not 10.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Typo posted:

in the books hawat mentioned they thought at most the Harkonnens would bring maybe 1 legion to attack the atreides because space travel is so so expensive

instead they brought over like 10 legions with sardaukar and they basically spent the entire sum of income from mining spice for 80 years or w/e on this one big attack. So Leto accepted the arrakian fiefdom thinking might have won against 1-3 legions or whatever but not 10.

i'm so impressed by how many scenes he managed to cut out while leaving the vibe intact. the whole duke mistrusts jessica subplot, the dinner party, the greenhouse, the sand avalanche, disguised sardaukar, lovely feyd. i think it still works because there's a sense of immense subtlety in the characters' relationships with each other, like when the Herald arrives and it's obvious dune's the most poisoned of chalices, just from glances and line readings.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

Na'at posted:

BR2049 looked gorgeous this just looked so loving boring aside from when Chani would show up for a quick Oil of Olay commercial shot. People give the miniseries poo poo for it's costuming but at least I can believe that an over-rich future royalty would dress in outrageous colors and hats, in this it's all monochrome and motorcycle gloves. gently caress.

My wife dug the poo poo out of this movie and is thrilled for part 2. She hates nerdy poo poo and had 0 Dune knowledge going in. Anecdotal ofc but I haven't met anyone who was lost watching it. Although we watched it streaming and I did explain some of this exact stuff to her.

My 2 cents. I think this nailed the right amount of interesting exposition for the unitiated.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Na'at posted:

lets beat this guy up

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
i still feel like Gurney and Thufir got done dirty. they just vanish. I mean they'll be coming back but they should have at least shown us what happened.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think that's the best evidence for part 2 gurney/thufir maybe being cut. If you were going to do their part 2 subplots you would want to have some stinger to help the audience remember they exist. 2 years is a long time

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

oxford_town posted:

movie was good.

Duncan: Gholas Die Twice

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Na'at posted:

Get outta here Brian

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Nessus posted:

I feel like the Bene Gesserit's whole specialty is figuring out doublespeak like this. Pretty big gambit on the Barons part to assume they wouldn't blame him for letting Space Jesus die in the desert.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
The character that was done the dirtiest for this film was Piter

Dude was a complete mad lad in the book, and David Dastmalchian played him like a boring robot.

I guess that was the only option when any actor tries to follow in the steps of Brad loving Dourif.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
The scene I really missed from the Lynch version was the Navigator talking with the Emperor. Watching it now I crack up at the parting lines from the navigator, "I did not say that, I was not here." like this cronenberg thing in a huge tank is gonna keep this poo poo on the down low when people start asking questions. I take it that scene wasn't in the book either. I know it was overly expository, but it did a good job of establishing how the Emperor of the Known Universe is still the Spacing Guilds bitch since Empy was trying really hard to reassure them everything is okay.

I'm really surprised they didn't have any scenes with the Emperor in the new film. Guess they are saving it for part 2.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Na'at posted:

Why is the Lady Jessica, super human product of a centuries long breeding program and a life time of study in self control as well as mind/body awareness a bigger bundle of shivering nerves and anxiety than a Jewish granny in an Adam Sandler flick?

This was my biggest problem with the new movie, too.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
whats this about vaginal pulses per second

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoursTruly
Jul 29, 2012

Put me in the trash
Recycle Bin
where
I belong.
I remember playing the Dune (1992) game on SEGA. I just read through the Wikipedia summary of the gameplay, and it sounds really cool! All I remember was talking to a bunch of palace advisors, flying to a sietch, maybe yes or maybe no recruiting them, and then walking on foot to the nearest Harkonnen fortress alone and getting killed. The animation of turning into a skeleton in the desert was :krad: