Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Raldikuk posted:

Win 7 to Win 10 is still free the deadline was a lie.

Yeah but I didn’t know that at the time. I bought a Win7 key from LodgeNorth just this year as a matter of fact, to go from Win10 Home to Pro!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

CoolCab posted:

this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

It fixed a lot of bugs I was having with the 4K HDR TV I have plugged into my PC, and made switching between that and my monitor feel less like a gamble. I was also shocked by how much nicer the settings were, it's not just better than win 10 is it's legitimately great. Otherwise it's not really worth upgrading.

Quaint Quail Quilt
Jun 19, 2006

Ask me about that time I told people mixing bleach and vinegar is okay
I just updated as well.

The installer kept hanging after verifying the downloaded files step 3 install. I remember reading somewhere to turn your internet off and that worked to get me past 13%

Openshell updated itself first thing and I use PowerShell fancy zones and search so I feel no pain. Cool thing is fancy zones doesn't leave like 14-24 pixels of desktop bleeding through the bottom when I center an app anymore!

I purged and clean installed my Asus AMD chipset drivers just to be sure, and wouldn't you know it the windows 11 zip is the same file as the windows 10 zip.

Rocket league and minion masters has been intermittent crashing and it hasn't yet on 11
Crosses fingers.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
One thing, and this is funny that MacOS still has an issue with this, the "screensaver" runs perfectly.

That was what they were holding out on us on. Something that any loving scrub could have fixed for years in 10, now it works perfectly.

I don't know why I latch on to purely aesthetic worthless poo poo like that but if I get to set a folder of rotating images to show I'd like it not to just be the first image in the folder.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
If I upgrade to W11, will that mean my microsoft account will have its digital license forever, like it currently does with w10? It has saved me hundreds over the years.

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
As far as I can tell win11 is win10 for activations.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

If I upgrade to W11, will that mean my microsoft account will have its digital license forever, like it currently does with w10? It has saved me hundreds over the years.

I would never advocate for stealing software, but in the most dire of circumstances I would think that public KMS servers might be able to solve this license issues for you no matter how the answer to this license questions ends.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

CoolCab posted:

this question legit is not intended as a troll (even though it might read that way, apologies):

what is the killer feature that motivated you to move to windows 11. what is the particular unique functionality that might incentivize me to upgrade and stomach the UI changes? what is the thing that you can only do on 11 but cannot on 10 and very specifically, right now, not a future announced functionality.

Native android emulation and improvements to WSL 2.0 are gonna be my cutover point, IMO.

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I upgraded with an insider build a while ago to use auto HDR for gaming on my TV, it's nice! Works great and is a significant difference and has a ton of supported games that don't include their own built in HDR.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Any news on when will they launch the android app support?

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Vic posted:

Any news on when will they launch the android app support?

9 days ago.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://ahaan.co.uk/article/top_stories/google-play-store-windows-11-install

Try this if you want to install the Google Play Store. App performance is pretty spotty at the moment, but it's cool to see things appear in the start menu as native apps. That said, if you wanted to install things that have an equivalent website like Twitch, Facebook, etc then just use the install as app feature in Edge, there no reason to mess around with Android for those.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://ahaan.co.uk/article/top_stories/google-play-store-windows-11-install

Try this if you want to install the Google Play Store. App performance is pretty spotty at the moment, but it's cool to see things appear in the start menu as native apps. That said, if you wanted to install things that have an equivalent website like Twitch, Facebook, etc then just use the install as app feature in Edge, there no reason to mess around with Android for those.

Nice thanks! I was actually looking to use Google Assistant/Home from the desktop. Has anyone tried it? Is it safe?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just went through that so my kids can play Hungry Cat Nonogram. The instructions on that site are missing a step or two. You have to click "manage developer options" in WSA in order to get the OP address to activate. Then I somehow had two devices detected by ADB, but luckily I chose the right one the first time.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

It worked, but google assistant's is not available on google appstore. And google home's not compatible with Android 11.

Welp.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Vic posted:

It worked, but google assistant's is not available on google appstore. And google home's not compatible with Android 11.

Welp.

I suspect that a lot of this will materialize over time in various forms of supported/unsupported setups.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Windows 11: The New Kindle Fire

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Windows 11: The New Kindle Fire

that's literally it, yes - the windows android app support uses the amazon store, not google play

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
I'm not buying in to it but Bluestacks exists and works fine.

Sideloading is the only issue.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Tried it out on my surface pro 6, mainly to have comiXology on a tablet again. Works great, but one problem. I only have 8 gigs of ram on that thing and the 2 gigs dedicated to the Android VM is pretty noticeable on performance. Seems I have to kill it in task manager whenever I am done reading comics.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I think it was this thread where someone pined away wishing they could make 10 or 11 look more like 98 and I actually found something called Modded ROS Explorer. I've never used it but figured I'd post it since someone here was looking for it:

https://winclassic.boards.net/thread/177/reactos-taskbar-win10-desktop-classic

If it's not something that's gonna eat a ton of ram or causes OS instability I am definitely going to consider giving it a shot.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I think it was this thread where someone pined away wishing they could make 10 or 11 look more like 98 and I actually found something called Modded ROS Explorer. I've never used it but figured I'd post it since someone here was looking for it:

https://winclassic.boards.net/thread/177/reactos-taskbar-win10-desktop-classic

If it's not something that's gonna eat a ton of ram or causes OS instability I am definitely going to consider giving it a shot.

I used it as an excuse for sarcasm, but this is neat! Thanks for post this!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Twibbit posted:

Tried it out on my surface pro 6, mainly to have comiXology on a tablet again. Works great, but one problem. I only have 8 gigs of ram on that thing and the 2 gigs dedicated to the Android VM is pretty noticeable on performance. Seems I have to kill it in task manager whenever I am done reading comics.

Even then, having Hyper-V active at all (including Windows Sandbox and Virtualization-based security) will always reduce overall system performance.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
I was able to install Windows 11 fresh on an old ThinkPad t420 and it seems to be working okay.

Winaero tweaker seems to be fixing all of the annoyances I have with 11 except one. Is there any way to re enable desktop peek? I'm talking about when you hover your mouse over the bottom right portion of the Taskbar and it shows you your desktop without actually minimizing anything. It's been there since I think Vista and is still in 10. Any way to get it back in 11? Google is giving me nothing.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I was able to install Windows 11 fresh on an old ThinkPad t420 and it seems to be working okay.

Winaero tweaker seems to be fixing all of the annoyances I have with 11 except one. Is there any way to re enable desktop peek? I'm talking about when you hover your mouse over the bottom right portion of the Taskbar and it shows you your desktop without actually minimizing anything. It's been there since I think Vista and is still in 10. Any way to get it back in 11? Google is giving me nothing.

No they outright removed plenty of taskbar functionalities for some reason. Even my precious "connect" quick action.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Also r-click on taskbar menu, show all tray icons, don't group taskbar icons, resizing of the taskbar, and taskbar alignment

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

CoolCab posted:

Windows 11 has nested virtualization support for AMD processors. Pretty niche feature but it’s something I’ve wanted for a while and is the reason I updated my “lab” computer.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Snipping Tool being broken is sapping my will to live

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm a big fan of Greenshot. Worth checking out.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Internet Explorer posted:

I'm a big fan of Greenshot. Worth checking out.

I'll do that, thanks :unsmith:

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Cross-Section posted:

I'll do that, thanks :unsmith:

Sharex is also good.

https://getsharex.com/

I don't know what happened with the snipping tool. It's always been a little funky.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Cross-Section posted:

Broken how? I have a quirk when in-game, notably D2R, where it doesn't appear immediately when I win shift S, but if I move the mouse a bit it does go into silhouette mode. Not ideal of course but I assume they are working on it.

If you are having bugs, use the feedback center instead of just posting here. Under no circumstances should you have to install some third party program to achieve baked-in windows functionality.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

sharex is good because it helps with saving uploading and categorizing your screenshots/captures. It's like irfanview vs photos app.

Also rclick in explorer to upload to imgur/youtube/whatever

Vic fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Nov 2, 2021

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Cross-Section posted:

Snipping Tool works without issue for me. Did you set restrictive privacy settings preventing snipping tool from saving files?

By the way, you can also bind the Print Screen button on your keyboard to snipping in Accessibility settings

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

codo27 posted:

If you are having bugs, use the feedback center instead of just posting here. Under no circumstances should you have to install some third party program to achieve baked-in windows functionality.

This, but for the missing taskbar features.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Fame Douglas posted:

Snipping Tool works without issue for me. Did you set restrictive privacy settings preventing snipping tool from saving files?

By the way, you can also bind the Print Screen button on your keyboard to snipping in Accessibility settings

Privacy settings are all set to allow screenshots, but I still get this error when trying a new snip

Looking this up gives me pages of folks with the same issue; I've tried solutions from articles like this one but none of them have worked as of yet (and I'm sure as hell not trying the one that removes a bunch of other functionality for some reason).

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
So there is the 'Snipping Tool' and also windows built in snipper which you do win+shift+S.. not sure these are the same things? I do remember reading the Snipping Tool itself would be retired and so I started using the win+shft+S thing.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

redeyes posted:

So there is the 'Snipping Tool' and also windows built in snipper which you do win+shift+S.. not sure these are the same things? I do remember reading the Snipping Tool itself would be retired and so I started using the win+shft+S thing.

Snipping tool is the “legacy one” while snip and sketch is the “current one” . Snipping tool has not been removed to avoid legacy apps crapping out if the old exe was missing.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

SlowBloke posted:

Snipping tool is the “legacy one” while snip and sketch is the “current one” . Snipping tool has not been removed to avoid legacy apps crapping out if the old exe was missing.

I've had issues with it. I hit win+shift+s and then get some options for a rectangle or full screen capture. Do that and then what? I open up irfanview to paste it and get nothing.

Vs sharex when I'm either delighted with it capturing my video player or trying to stop it uploading to imgur but it works better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

I've had issues with it. I hit win+shift+s and then get some options for a rectangle or full screen capture. Do that and then what? I open up irfanview to paste it and get nothing.

Vs sharex when I'm either delighted with it capturing my video player or trying to stop it uploading to imgur but it works better.

Uh, no it throws the thing in your notifications and you can click it and do things. I'd imagine thats broken as well somehow.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Nov 2, 2021