Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Nice little wolfy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

So it seems like standard is just going to be upgraded versions of the 3 already dominant decks. Green gets a pushed 1 drop, white gets Thalia, Izzet gets abrade and even more card selection. I don't see any cards that will effect that or even spawn new tier 1 decks.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

A onedrop wolf might make the wolves deck playable in standard now?

It's a drat shame it isn't a werewolf though, a turn 1 daybound creature is deeply needed.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Bram stoker dracula is out of copyright or whatever right? So they don’t have to pay for this like the godzilla stuff I assume

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This could've been a Castlevania set and I'm just so sad it's not

ALLAN LASSUS
May 11, 2007

apul.prof./ass.prof.
TBH I'm starting to think they should've pushed Return to Return to Innistrad back a bit so that it wasn't in the same standard with ZNR/KHM/STX with all the DFCs. I mean, it's an ok and somewhat novel design space, I get that they wanted the ZNR/KHM/STX to have a common mechanic and all that, but after the vampire wedding drops into standard there'll be 5 out of 6 sets with DFCs that all work somewhat differently and it's already feeling a little :regd08:

Thankfully the STX wall of text deans and whatever are mostly poo poo but it's a bit much when everything is actually two things or becomes a different thing when someone does X or comes back from the gy as a different thing and so on and so on. I think the land/spell ones were the best implementation and a lot of the designs after those have just been overtly complex without a payoff that would justify the complexity.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Fish Of Doom posted:

I don't see any cards that will effect that or even spawn new tier 1 decks.

Here's 5 cards with a chance to do just that:

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

fadam posted:

What's the point of the Pact of the Titan in the Belcher lists?

I'm not a belcher player, but I think it's because Pact + Infernal plunge costs 2 cards but gets you 3 mana for 1 mana, and that lets you go off a turn sooner. Let's say your t1 is a tapland, and your t2 is a boltland + ritual + manamorphose into recross the paths. If you stack your library for:

reforge the soul
shatterskull smashing
pact of the titan
infernal plunge
pyretic/desperate ritual
irencrag feat
belcher

you can cast + trigger belcher right there, whereas without pact + plunge you'd either need to start the turn with another ritual in hand or you'd need to wait an extra turn + stack the deck differently to make sure you had at least 3 lands in play when you miracled reforge.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Absolutely guaranteed to make an entertaining SaffronOlive video. With a deck that is mostly lands and has Valakut The Molten Pinnacle, you could blow someone up the moment you play this.

The Shortest Path posted:

A onedrop wolf might make the wolves deck playable in standard now?

It's a drat shame it isn't a werewolf though, a turn 1 daybound creature is deeply needed.

Reckless Waif was able to dunk on decks that didn't have one-drops. I'm pretty sure they decided that a Daybound one-drop would be too good against slow decks, but now Werewolf aggro is completely unplayable.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Thanks all for the explanation! :)

For a card that DOES work like you're thinking of, check out something like Druagr Necromancer.

If you have one in play and exile some creatures with ice counters on them, then your Necromancer dies, you can't play the creatures from exile anymore. But if you get another Necromancer on the board you can, because all it looks for is exiled cards with ice counters on them, and doesn't care how they got there. Personally I think it's bad design to switch back and forth between methods like that in the same standard, even if it does change the card power level slightly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Never in my life did I think that Recross the Paths would become a 4-of in any deck, never mind one that's getting top 8 in Modern events.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

BioThermo posted:

I'm not a belcher player, but I think it's because Pact + Infernal plunge costs 2 cards but gets you 3 mana for 1 mana, and that lets you go off a turn sooner. Let's say your t1 is a tapland, and your t2 is a boltland + ritual + manamorphose into recross the paths. If you stack your library for:

reforge the soul
shatterskull smashing
pact of the titan
infernal plunge
pyretic/desperate ritual
irencrag feat
belcher

you can cast + trigger belcher right there, whereas without pact + plunge you'd either need to start the turn with another ritual in hand or you'd need to wait an extra turn + stack the deck differently to make sure you had at least 3 lands in play when you miracled reforge.

Cool, that makes sense. Ty!

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Ok I like a lot of the Dracula cards (especially Thalia), but if 60% of the cards are just going to be Dracula in different poses, maybe we should have chosen a different theme guys.

I agree that they should have done Twilight instead, especially with this being a wedding themed set.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Lone Goat posted:

not excited about a 7 drop that requires me to have even more lands in hand to do anything worthwhile

This card is basically “draw until you have X nonlands in hand where X is the number of cards in hand.”
You’re guaranteed to keep the same hand size only you get to turn all your land cards into gas.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Some of those dracula card come close to my list of "I wish it was legendary so I could run it as commander" cards. Not at Mothra tier at least.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This could've been a Castlevania set and I'm just so sad it's not

Did you not see the floating eye and the Ayumi Kojima Sorin that's just Alucard?

Edit: and I hold firm that the Stowaway werewolf from MID is a reference to Cornell

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I almost get the feeling that everyone just wanted to do the vampire wedding set creatively and the werewolf set was just a bunch of extra poo poo added in to balance it out/create an extra product.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Arivia posted:

I almost get the feeling that everyone just wanted to do the vampire wedding set creatively and the werewolf set was just a bunch of extra poo poo added in to balance it out/create an extra product.

Creatively Bankrupt WOTC couldn't get the rights to Werewolf Barmitzvah

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

BioThermo posted:

reforge the soul
shatterskull smashing
pact of the titan
infernal plunge
pyretic/desperate ritual
irencrag feat
belcher

Just FYI because I was thinking about how useless the Pact of Negations seem when you can't reliably protect Belcher with them after Irencrag Feat: you can Reforge into a sequence that can be protected with Pact after the Reforge (you can always Pact to protect Reforge if you started the turn with it in your hand from before). I think this is the actual sequence you want:

Start turn 3 mana, Reforge (1 mana remaining)

Pact of the Titan
Infernal Plunge (3 mana)
Land or Pyretic Ritual (4 mana)
Desperate Ritual splicing Desperate Ritual (6 mana)
Desperate Ritual #2 (7 mana)
Belcher
Pact of Negation

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Edgar's Awakening 3BB

Sorcery Uncommon

Return target creature from your graveyard to the battlefield

Whenever you discard Edgar's Awakening, you may pay B. If you do, return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

This card is basically “draw until you have X nonlands in hand where X is the number of cards in hand.”
You’re guaranteed to keep the same hand size only you get to turn all your land cards into gas.

Yeah, but how often do you cast a seven-drop and have extra lands in hand?

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Along with the lands, we have, in no particular order

Power cards:
Olivia, Cultivator Colossus, Ascendant Packleader, Dig Up, Thalia, Overcharged Amalgam, Voldaren Bloodcaster, WW ajani's pridemate spirit cleric, Ulvenwald Oddity, Abrade

Meta dependent or unsure of if they are power cards:
Sorin, Chandra, Cemetery Prowler, Falkenwrath Forebear, Alchemist's Gambit (if bans), Dread Fugue, Runo Stromkirk, Archghoul of Thraben, Vampire's Vengeance, Dominating Vampire, Inspired Idea

Ascendant Packleader and Thalia are the only cards guaranteed to see a lot of play. Abrade and the pridemate both are pretty likely to.

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

The Shortest Path posted:

The art director for this set really knocked it out of the park, as did the artists.

Agreed. I felt much of the criticism of the art direction around bfz to Ixalan was justified, although the worlds had a definite look the way it was portrayed was very samey.

They do seem more and more to be expanding out again, a few sets ago it was just Seb doing abstract crazy stuff but now we are really getting some more diversity of styles.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

Cultivator Colossus is very cool. I could see it being playable, that's a hell of an effect.

It's pretty bad actually. I don't think it's playable at all. Doesn't protect itself and only good if you have 7 mana PLUS a few lands in hand? That never happens.

I actually don't like this card..... I mean it's FINE as a 2/1 for 1 but you also play it on T1 and it doesn't trigger till T4? Meh.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty bad actually. I don't think it's playable at all. Doesn't protect itself and only good if you have 7 mana PLUS a few lands in hand? That never happens.

It's obviously not generically good, but I could see a deck cheating it into play, comboing with it, and/or being an over 30 land ramp deck. The effect is extremely powerful, even if it's very hard to use on a 7 drop.

quote:

I actually don't like this card..... I mean it's FINE as a 2/1 for 1 but you also play it on T1 and it doesn't trigger till T4? Meh.

Green doesn't have any one drops as aggressive as a savannah lions with some later upside. I agree it's not incredible, but I think that's enough.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Strong Sauce posted:

Edgar's Awakening 3BB

Sorcery Uncommon

Whenever you discard Edgar's Awakening, you may pay B. If you do, return target creature card from your graveyard to your hand.

Seems like a pretty aggressively costed madness effect? I'd at least happily draft it in a deck that had a good supply of blood tokens.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades

disaster pastor posted:

Yeah, but how often do you cast a seven-drop and have extra lands in hand?

Who says you're casting it? It's an ETB, not a cast trigger. :getin:

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ultima66 posted:

Just FYI because I was thinking about how useless the Pact of Negations seem when you can't reliably protect Belcher with them after Irencrag Feat: you can Reforge into a sequence that can be protected with Pact after the Reforge (you can always Pact to protect Reforge if you started the turn with it in your hand from before). I think this is the actual sequence you want:

Start turn 3 mana, Reforge (1 mana remaining)

Pact of the Titan
Infernal Plunge (3 mana)
Land or Pyretic Ritual (4 mana)
Desperate Ritual splicing Desperate Ritual (6 mana)
Desperate Ritual #2 (7 mana)
Belcher
Pact of Negation

Why pact of the titan over memnite or ornithopter?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Strong Sauce posted:

Edgar's Awakening 3BB

Sorcery Uncommon

Cute. Maybe a Madness-adjacent theme?

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I am only familiar with the deck through looking at a list and also watching a little bit of a different variation being played so I don't know the ins and outs of it exactly, but from what I can tell Pact being pitchable to Fury is the big reason.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Some cute jank.

And then:

If toxrill survives to your end step, the opponents board is is now 1/1 with no abilities.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Salvor_Hardin posted:

You can pitch Pact to Fury

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Ultima66 posted:

I am only familiar with the deck through looking at a list and also watching a little bit of a different variation being played so I don't know the ins and outs of it exactly, but from what I can tell Pact being pitchable to Fury is the big reason.

Makes sense, thanks. Unless kobolds of kher keep are legal...

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Bugsy posted:

Some cute jank.

And then:

If toxrill survives to your end step, the opponents board is is now 1/1 with no abilities.

Build your own Humility

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Has to be some sort of janky combo involving this a Ballista and something else in the yard.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Silhouette posted:

Build your own Humility

Overwhelming Splendor is an 8-mana effect. I like the idea of slime tribal being playable, maybe we'll get more of these.

fadam posted:

Has to be some sort of janky combo involving this a Ballista and something else in the yard.

Morselhoarder and Devoted Druid gives infinite mana.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/MTGGoldfish/status/1455282053096910856

I miss Assemble the Legion....

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

mcmagic posted:

Agreed. In a format where Fading Hope is heavily played, Cultivator Colossus is pretty unplayable. You pretty much need an extra land in hand to even get value, otherwise it's just a big creature. It's the same reason Cyclone Summoner got pushed out. Your 7 mana play needs to win the game, not just be a big conditional value creature. Wrenn and Seven creates almost the same creature and it costs 2 less.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

GonSmithe posted:

Ok I like a lot of the Dracula cards (especially Thalia), but if 60% of the cards are just going to be Dracula in different poses, maybe we should have chosen a different theme guys.

Think it would have been cool to do draculas castle as a land, but alas