Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Residency Evil posted:

tbqh I thought the falcon one still had some runway.

the thread tag is the kicker for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Big W Monoliths

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Residency Evil posted:

tbqh I thought the falcon one still had some runway.

i thought it was quite stalled already

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

Velius posted:

:goonsay:Metals are not molecules (but the title is good, I’d use metals though). I would totally get one of these things if they were reasonably priced, just for the nice addition to an element collection. There are more useless things out there. Definitely not getting in on anything while it’s associated with a bunch of crypto idiots though.

yeah Metals is better, you’re right I think

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the thread tag is the kicker for me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Sorry, falcons are old news, machined metal paperweights are what's hot and fresh

:orb:

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog

Velius posted:

:goonsay:Metals are not molecules (but the title is good, I’d use metals though). I would totally get one of these things if they were reasonably priced, just for the nice addition to an element collection. There are more useless things out there. Definitely not getting in on anything while it’s associated with a bunch of crypto idiots though.

mfw I try to understand this science stuff

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Warhammer 401k

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When it rains good thread titles, it pours

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

Lmao

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

Mods please.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Big Waaagh Money: Warhammer 401k

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

good god

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Space Kablooey posted:

:pusheen:

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k

Space Kablooey posted:

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Space Kablooey posted:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Space Kablooey posted:

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Back in 2012, a lot of goons were making money on political prediction markets. I felt like I could do it, but I also felt like I'd probably gently caress up disastrously somehow. So in 2016 I made a spreadsheet and started with 1,000 imaginary dollars and kept track of all the bets I pretended to make. I was very successful by being more cautious and cynical than the average prediction market gambler, and from January to October I turned my imaginary $1,000 into an imaginary $5,000. Then I went for the sure thing and bet all my pretend money at 1/4 odds on Clinton winning the election.

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Chamale posted:

Back in 2012, a lot of goons were making money on political prediction markets. I felt like I could do it, but I also felt like I'd probably gently caress up disastrously somehow. So in 2016 I made a spreadsheet and started with 1,000 imaginary dollars and kept track of all the bets I pretended to make. I was very successful by being more cautious and cynical than the average prediction market gambler, and from January to October I turned my imaginary $1,000 into an imaginary $5,000. Then I went for the sure thing and bet all my pretend money at 1/4 odds on Clinton winning the election.

Prediction markets are peak BWM. People were betting real money that Clinton would win the 2020 election, even after the nomination was given to Biden. She wasnt even running.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001
I kind of love the Ork stock market stuff. It’s even true.

MEIN RAVEN
Oct 7, 2008

Gutentag Mein Raven

Space Kablooey posted:

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
Omg like half of this thread is just people suggesting thread titles!

snailshell
Aug 26, 2010

I LOVE BIG WET CROROCDILE PUSSYT

"They were simply eliminated for breaking the rules of the game..."

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

snailshell posted:

Rule 1: No refundo

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Warhammer 401k
:golfclap:

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Tbqh Warhammer 401k would be a great name for the long term thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Space Kablooey posted:

holy poo poo, save this one.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Space Kablooey posted:

It's funny because it's true.

In the grim darkness of the 21st century, there is only number.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

https://twitter.com/mistydemeo/status/1455224846758006784

In case the image gets cropped

and from the replies

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler

greazeball posted:

and from the replies

So BWM but too long for a thread title.

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

snailshell posted:

I find this one comical particularly because I'd bet money that everyone who bought that wasn't even a "crypto is the future and a great investment" person. My money is on those people are the "get in on the ground floor and flip it for profit" types.

So I'm pretty sure it's not the hapless brainwashed fanatic who got scammed here. It's the mid-tier "we make money by conning others in to thinking crypto is actually worth something" group that got their comeuppance here. Not sure if they thought it'd be a scam, or if they figured they'd flip the coins before the inevitable exit.

also BWM: someone in our neighborhood made like a 4' tall animatronic version of the red-light-green-light thing from squid games. Overhearing some other people while trick or treating with the kids, apparently the guy 3D printed all the parts and built it himself. Spun around, moved its arms around and even had a speaker with pre-recorded stuff. Didn't snag a picture, but the shoulders and elbows were articulated, and possibly even the wrists.

I mean, it was cool, but seems like in a year it'll be entirely forgotten and a total waste of time/money.

DaveSauce fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Nov 2, 2021

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Can't PLA and the other 3d printing plastics be melted down to print again? I don't think you can do that with some of the resins but idk.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

BonerGhost posted:

Can't PLA and the other 3d printing plastics be melted down to print again? I don't think you can do that with some of the resins but idk.

I don't own a printer but my understanding is that they run off spools of the stuff. So even if you could just melt it down that does you little good without an extruder to turn it into plastic wire.

Basically kind of like saying you can pulp bad prints on a regular paper printer and make new paper. I mean, you CAN, it's just not something your average dude at home is going to do and the answer is to just recycle it, which get into other issues.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I don't own a printer but my understanding is that they run off spools of the stuff. So even if you could just melt it down that does you little good without an extruder to turn it into plastic wire.

Basically kind of like saying you can pulp bad prints on a regular paper printer and make new paper. I mean, you CAN, it's just not something your average dude at home is going to do and the answer is to just recycle it, which get into other issues.

Yes, it's exactly this.

Also, the whole "PLA is compostable!" has a huge asterisk next to it. You're definitely not doing it at home, and it takes twice if not 3 times as long as a normal commercial composting cycle.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
3d printing input is usually a 1.75mm-diameter thread of filament. Uniformity of diameter is important for quality because the machine dispenses it by length and if the diameter varies a lot then the volume of plastic being squeezed out won't be consistent. Good filament should be something like +/- 0.02mm from the nominal diameter. Making filament with a uniform composition and a diameter within acceptable limits from random scraps is extremely hard to do (never mind the color). Even manufacturers starting from uniform raw materials often can't do better than +/- 0.05mm.

withak fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Nov 2, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

There are a few pellet feed 3d printer designs that could potentially be used to recycle old pla but they're not really practical for home use.