Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit

Flakey posted:

Sardaukar disguised as Harkonnen didn't really come up, nor did the fact that House Atreides soldiers were getting awfully close to being as good as the Sardaukar. In the book this is one of the reasons the Emperor and the Baron go after the Duke. Overall the movie could have done with way more intrigue and less action I think.

Cutting out the Sardaukar's Harkonnen disguises didn't bother me at all since it fooled absolutely nobody in the book.

The Barron saying theres "no satellites over Dune, they'll die in the dark" or whatever also covers it.

old beast lunatic fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 1, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

YoursTruly posted:

I remember playing the Dune (1992) game on SEGA. I just read through the Wikipedia summary of the gameplay, and it sounds really cool! All I remember was talking to a bunch of palace advisors, flying to a sietch, maybe yes or maybe no recruiting them, and then walking on foot to the nearest Harkonnen fortress alone and getting killed. The animation of turning into a skeleton in the desert was :krad:

it's a great game

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Imagined posted:

This was my biggest problem with the new movie, too.

I liked how she had a very private breakdown moment for a second and then emerged into the next room calm as hundu cow. she put it together is what i mean

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Earwicker posted:

are there any rumors about who is playing feyd rautha in part 2?

sting was one of the best things about lynch's dune imo that will be a hard performance to follow

soooooo the spiciest rumor I've heard is Barry Keoghan, which would be both weird and kind of awesome

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Vampire Panties posted:

If you had to choose between one lynch thing for new Dunc

milking the poison cat

or

heartplugs

bug juicebox

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

I have high hopes for Part 2

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
Dave Bautista just straight up biting off the head of a muad'dib.

oxford_town
Aug 6, 2009

No Mods No Masters posted:

I think that's the best evidence for part 2 gurney/thufir maybe being cut. If you were going to do their part 2 subplots you would want to have some stinger to help the audience remember they exist. 2 years is a long time

part 2 spoilers/speculation

gurney will be back. hawat didn't have a massive role in this so I wouldn't be surprised if he was cut

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I liked how she had a very private breakdown moment for a second and then emerged into the next room calm as hundu cow. she put it together is what i mean

she permitted herself to freak out for a bit

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
her son was quite possibly going to get murdered in the next room and if he did she was going to have to just suck it up. little stressful even for a highly disciplined witchypoo.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

sebmojo posted:

she permitted herself to freak out for a bit

yeah exactly and they wouldn't need a litany against fear if they didn't sometimes feel overwhelming fear

She had gone against the wishes of her order in bearing a son, and that son was probably about to die in the next room

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I want a modern 3D Dune RTS in DUNC style with a fancy Ordos faction but instead of tanks you just have giant Total War blocks of guys with swords.

Also laser frigates.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Shageletic posted:

Anyone else think the Baron in his out of focus rising up like a snake thing remind you of Leto II, worm king and fake dong extraordinaire?

Just me?

e: lol ^^^^^^

The Baron's snake body is actually just a bunch of Tleilaxlu stacked in a row under the robe

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

yeah i thought it seemed very obvious that jessica was nervous because she had gone against the order than trained her in a pretty huge way and also because her family was now in immense danger

its definitely a little more clear in the lynch version in her dialog with the bene gesserit mother but i thought the point still came across well enough in the new one

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
This is someone who sits for hours every day for her entire life practicing like precisely controlling the muscle behind her left ear. She can literally stop breathing and go into a trance on command. She can manipulate processes inside her body at the molecular level. Her control of her body is complete and total, even if her control of her emotions is not. So she might be freaking out internally, but you're not going to SEE that unless you are also a BG.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 1, 2021

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Na'at posted:

I really wanted to like this movie but it was as bland as washing white bread down with water. I get not wanting to go crazy with exposition but unless you go in to this knowing all about the universe there's so much to pick apart in this I can't understand who it's meant to appeal to.

If you're a budding young nerd and this is your first experience of Dune you're gonna wonder where the hell all the robots are, why come they don't use their super awesome lasers more than twice in the whole movie, why Fremen don't have shields, why that guys eyes roll back in his head, or why the Atreidies army is special enough for the emperor to care. If you come in to it as a Dune fan it should make you wonder why the Sardukar showed up to Arrakis in completely different armor than the Harkonnen soldiers they were meant to be impersonating ("SARDUKAR Behind us!"lmaooo)? Why were they shooting a loving lazgun at Duncan's shielded 'thopter? Why is the Lady Jessica, super human product of a centuries long breeding program and a life time of study in self control as well as mind/body awareness a bigger bundle of shivering nerves and anxiety than a Jewish granny in an Adam Sandler flick?

BR2049 looked gorgeous this just looked so loving boring aside from when Chani would show up for a quick Oil of Olay commercial shot. People give the miniseries poo poo for it's costuming but at least I can believe that an over-rich future royalty would dress in outrageous colors and hats, in this it's all monochrome and motorcycle gloves. gently caress.

At least part 2 is already green light for completions sake.

The sardukar were BARELY incognito in the book like toddlers in a trenchcoat levels of believable disguise. Literally the thinnest credulity stretching facade, and every survivor had no delusions about who they'd really fought. They expected to wipe everyone the gently caress out; there was no reason for deep cover and that's the stuff moviegoers care about least too like someone that doesnt know what Dune is got a weird but cool sci fi epic and Dune fans got a coherent, not-poo poo film adaptation of Dune that loses a lot in its drive to streamline itself for the medium, but is made with more care and craft than any of what came before.

I will stan the Lynch movie in a lot of ways on many grounds but this is the better movie and your poo poo feels kinda contrarian and most charitably you're absolutely digging to justify your subjective takeaway but you stand out like sardukar pretending to be harkonen i guess vOv

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sebmojo posted:

i think it still works because there's a sense of immense subtlety in the characters' relationships with each other, like when the Herald arrives and it's obvious dune's the most poisoned of chalices, just from glances and line readings.

Went tonight with a friend, afterwards she specifically brought the "It's done then?" as the Duke being executed. She's not read the book or seen any of the other adaptations, so only had the film to go on. There's lots of depth if you look for it.

Panfilo posted:

The scene I really missed from the Lynch version was the Navigator talking with the Emperor. Watching it now I crack up at the parting lines from the navigator, "I did not say that, I was not here." like this cronenberg thing in a huge tank is gonna keep this poo poo on the down low when people start asking questions. I take it that scene wasn't in the book either. I know it was overly expository, but it did a good job of establishing how the Emperor of the Known Universe is still the Spacing Guilds bitch since Empy was trying really hard to reassure them everything is okay.

Basically everything with the guild in the book - other than they control space flight - is set up for a reveal later on that they are reliant on spice.

Oddly enough, there's a few instances in the new film of telling where the book shows - eg, Paul works out the Fremen method of moving in the desert from observation in the book, but is told it by a holovid in the film.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Imagined posted:

This is someone who sits for hours every day for her entire life practicing like precisely controlling the muscle behind her left ear. She can literally stop breathing and go into a trance on command. She can manipulate processes inside her body at the molecular level. Her control of her body is complete and total, even if her control of her emotions is not. So she might be freaking out internally, but you're not going to SEE that unless you are also a BG.

That works all well and good when described on paper, but having her stand there like an emotionless automaton on screen would convey the wrong idea. There needs to be some kind of visible reaction.

The movie also tones down or leaves unspoken exactly how much physiological control BG training affords people, so it's not necessarily the extreme extent that the book describes.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Says you

Anyway, no one DID see it, she was alone

Also, movies are a visual medium. The sort of poo poo you're talking about is why dune was thought to be unfilmable. And it IS if you follow the book too slavishly. Audiences must be shown things or it's an audiobook

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I think 'someone successfully controlling their intense emotions through extreme self-discipline but expending immense effort to do so' is something we've seen in film or television many times before. The Jessica in this film did not appear to be in control of anything. Hell I would've preferred something like Donnie Yen's character in 'Rogue One' at that point. Just repeating the litany again and again and again until it becomes obvious that they're trying to convince themselves it's doing something as much as actually invoking any actual power.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 1, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Imagined posted:

I think 'someone successfully controlling their intense emotions through extreme self-discipline but expending immense effort to do so' is something we've seen in film or television many times before. The Jessica in this film did not appear to be in control of anything.

i strongly disagree with this. she was a picture of composure pretty much whenever she needed to be. shes not a god damned vulcan and can display emotion sometimes.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 1, 2021

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
The one time I thought they were pushing it with Jessica is the scene right before Leto asks her to take care of Paul once he’s dead. She basically has a complete meltdown in the hall on her way to him, provoked by nothing in particular, leading to nothing in particular. It’s like they thought we’d forget she feels bad about her baby daddy being doomed.

Also “that was insane”. poo poo line, poo poo delivery. Up there with Francesca Annis’ “why did it leave? ;_;”

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yep. If the BG are good at anything, it ought to be having the greatest poker faces in the universe outside maybe actual facedancers.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

Yep. If the BG are good at anything, it ought to be having the greatest poker faces in the universe outside maybe actual facedancers.

Being good at something doesn't mean you do it all the time, like when you are alone or with family in your own home, for example

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

whats going on with mentats anyway? space drugs?

Burns
May 10, 2008

So one thing i dont understand just generally even in the book is why did Leto have to move his entire house to Arrakis? The Harkonen clearly ruled it from Geidi Prime for decades if not centuries.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

punishedkissinger posted:

whats going on with mentats anyway? space drugs?
Mentats get intensive training to become human computer dudes who can do Mr. Spock shot calling and so forth. In the book, Paul was being trained as one and was basically done, which is part of why he was able to handle his prescience as well as he did. Before all the prescience comes in, it's just like "yeah, a Mentat Duke would be pretty badass."

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Burns posted:

So one thing i dont understand just generally even in the book is why did Leto have to move his entire house to Arrakis? The Harkonen clearly ruled it from Geidi Prime for decades if not centuries.

It’s ok to be an absentee landlord if you’ve owned the place for 80 years and have set up a ruthless military regime to run the place in your absenteeism. But probably you’d want to go there and take personal charge to set that up. Especially if the emperor personally told you to.

Also, in the book, the fief of Caladan is specifically stripped from them and given to Fenring. Who ironically never bothers to show up because it has nothing worthwhile relative to his position as the emperors knife hand.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Imagined posted:

Having people on the screen showing no emotion probably would not be very successful

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The Bloop posted:

Says you

Anyway, no one DID see it, she was alone

Also, movies are a visual medium. The sort of poo poo you're talking about is why dune was thought to be unfilmable. And it IS if you follow the book too slavishly. Audiences must be shown things or it's an audiobook

And even DV has to cheat a little and get Zimmer to put a bit of narration in the soundtrack.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It also fits movie Jessica’s character well

I agree that if we followed book Jessica she would have just stood there with no emotional displays

Unless I forget the book

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I don't get the criticism about Jessica being too emotional. She only lets her guard down when she's either in private or with a close family member.

You've got to consider the position she's in throughout the movie. Up front she almost loses her son and is all but disavowed by the organization she was raised in. She knows what's likely to happen with the move to Arrakis and that she's likely to lose everyone and everything she cares about (and does with the exception of Paul.) She then later breaks down after the fall when its obvious the love of her life is dead.

The movie doesn't have the inner monologues the book. How else are you going to see the inner turmoil unless the actor emotes it? Maybe I'm just being defensive of the movie, but I feel like people would be complaining like she was an emotionless ice queen if she didn't feel what was going on around her at all. For me it was a welcome change from prior adaptations (although even those had emotional moments for Jessica, too;) but, I think what might be different here, is that Jessica has a larger focus than in some of those versions.

Shaddak
Nov 13, 2011

Imagined posted:

I think you should keep in mind that, while she is a BG, she's not a reverend mother at this point. She hasn't unlocked her upper tier abilities, in other words.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
maybe there could be a voiceover as she stands there where she says 'i am feeling very distraught right now'

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
Also Jessica isn't a reverend mother yet in the movie. It may be that she's less emotive once she becomes sayadina.

E: beaten

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Mozi posted:

maybe there could be a voiceover as she stands there where she says 'i am feeling very distraught right now'

hah, yeah i don't know how you explain what's happening without a bunch of lame exposition or a voice over if she goes into prana bindu mode.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It was good to have someone give a recognizably human, emotional performance in the movie full of space weirdos. It fell to a woman so the usual Skylar arguments are going to have to play out

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

The prana bindu stuff would be awesome to film, you could go full nature documentary, actually show her breathing slowing or metabolism shifting or whatever. It would fit with this movie’s eye for small water details like the drops on muad’dib’s ears or in the stilltent.

https://youtu.be/JqBEMza8msw

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It's funny that someone said she isn't a Vulcan, because for one thing :goonsay: Vulcans are not emotionless. They experience extreme emotions, but control them. A good cinematic model of someone with intense discipline barely controlling themselves would be the episode of TNG where Sarek the Vulcan ambassador is experiencing Bendii Syndrome and struggling to contain his emotions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Imagined posted:

It's funny that someone said she isn't a Vulcan, because for one thing :goonsay: Vulcans are not emotionless. They experience extreme emotions, but control them. A good cinematic model of someone with intense discipline barely controlling themselves would be the episode of TNG where Sarek the Vulcan ambassador is experiencing Bendii Syndrome and struggling to contain his emotions.

I wish I could give a post a wedgie