Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Imagined posted:

Which means that how much you rate particular ones says more about you than it does about the series.

I think both Reaper Man and Hogfather have had the most emotional impact on me to this day. Feet of Clay's up there as well. I'll also cop to tearing up to one of the pages in The Last Hero.

Has anyone here seen the Troll Bridge movie? I keep meaning to try and watch it but like gently caress can I figure out how.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

citybeatnik posted:

I think both Reaper Man and Hogfather have had the most emotional impact on me to this day. Feet of Clay's up there as well. I'll also cop to tearing up to one of the pages in The Last Hero.

Reading Shepherd's Crown was pretty rough.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

citybeatnik posted:

Has anyone here seen the Troll Bridge movie? I keep meaning to try and watch it but like gently caress can I figure out how.

I think this is it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7v_TdLviUE

its great

Dirty Frank fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Oct 25, 2021

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Agreed - Troll Bridge is wonderful

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Very much agreed on Reaper Man being one of the ones that linger in the mind. I just finished a re-read of it, and the Death segments are just... Perfect. A pity they're the B-plot to the interminable wizard / undead liberation / [/spoiler]shopping cart xenomorphs[/spoiler] A-plot. Is there anything else out there that feels like the pastoral segments of Reaper Man other than when Pratchett sorta-kinda revisits that vibe in Tiffany Aching?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

citybeatnik posted:

It is great.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Imagined posted:

About a year ago I started reading Discworld from the beginning, in order. I've just finished #21, 'Jingo', and I think it's my least favorite yet. Nothing particularly bad about it, it just feels like maybe this is the first one where a long-time reader starts to notice Vimes and Vetinari are starting to suffer a bit of Flanderization, or something. Did have some great jokes about war and the military, though.

A true mark of the consistency of quality in the Discworld books, though, is that I must've read a hundred different rankings of the books on the internet over the years, and every single one is WILDLY different. You'll see a book on top of one list and at the bottom of the other. Which means that how much you rate particular ones says more about you than it does about the series.

Jaguars! posted:

I've been reading The Truth and Mr Pin and Mr Tulip really were one of Terry's finest hours.

El Fideo posted:

-ing right.

I love these posts all together because
1. I really loved Jingo
2. I really hated Pin and Tulip
3. That whole -ing thing did not work for me at all

In conclusion, Discworld is a land of contrasts haha.

I'm not sure why Pin and Tulip didn't click with me. I think they seemed a little more brutal than most of Pratchett's characters, which is weird when we've seen plenty of horrible thugs in the Watch novels. I think the only bad guy I've liked less was Cosmo Lavish from Making Money.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Yeah, Lavish didn't work for me either. After the wonderful Reacher Gilt in Going Postal made everything feel threatening, Lavish made things feel... annoying? Felt like both the obstacles and takedown were accidental.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
That 12.5% parrot joke still makes me groan to this day

Volkova III
Jan 5, 2021
I know, it's perfect

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

Total Meatlove posted:

Please explain? (I didn't get reflected sounds of underground spirit either until it was explned)

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sloth Life posted:

Please explain? (I didn't get reflected sounds of underground spirit either until it was explned)

pieces of eight, a coin, and what the parrot in treasure island said

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib

ChubbyChecker posted:

pieces of eight, a coin, and what the parrot in treasure island said

Aha! Thanks 👍

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Total Meatlove posted:

I recently re-read it and had forgotten that Reacher sends the parrot to Moist at the end. As the book explains, he literally gives him the bird.

feetnotes
Jan 29, 2008

https://narrativia.com/maurice.html has some previews for the designs that will be used in the Sky version of the Amazing Maurice.

Giving the characters what I think of as the generic Dreamworks look is… probably for the best, all things considered, but feels really wrong somehow. It feels fundamentally un-Pratchett to me to present the story as cute and cuddly and marketable as possible. But marketable means sustained popularity, and the alternative is for Discworld to slowly wither away from memory, which I wouldn’t want either.

Guess it’s best to just accept some drift from the source material is inevitable, hope it turns out better than the Watch did, and celebrate however many kids end up finding the books through it.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

If you could pick any Discworld book to turn into a good and faithful movie/series adaptation. Which would it be?

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Monstrous Regiment would be a fun short series.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

quote:

based on the wildly popular Discworld ® novels and will star Hugh Laurie (Avenue 5) as Maurice

Hugh Laurie, most famous for Avenue loving 5 lol

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Feliday Melody posted:

If you could pick any Discworld book to turn into a good and faithful movie/series adaptation. Which would it be?

Stand alone it would have to be Small Gods. But Feet of Clay is probably my favorite book of the series and to see a good version of that would be amazing.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

GodFish posted:

Monstrous Regiment would be a fun short series.

I'm amazed. You took my choice and you were the first response.

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Stand alone it would have to be Small Gods. But Feet of Clay is probably my favorite book of the series and to see a good version of that would be amazing.

Very good choices. I think Pratchett handled the Golems incredibly well.

I don't remember which good it was were all the Golems unionized and got their liberty.

I think it was one of the early books with that gnome that was the best mouse hunter in town because he hunted them by running through their mouse homes while brandishing a tiny crossbow. I think he turned out to be one of those smurfs from the Tiffany Aching stories (all amazing books who did a lot of revitalize the witch series)

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Feliday Melody posted:

The Tiffany Aching books.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I’d do The Truth as an All the President’s Men style thriller.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Imagined posted:

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Guards Guards, 6 episode mini series Game of Thrones style, but PG. Slightly expanded to give more time for character growth/dragon horror since you can't do inner monologue.

If it succeeds, easy to move on to Men at Arms

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Beachcomber posted:

Guards Guards, 6 episode mini series Game of Thrones style, but PG. Slightly expanded to give more time for character growth/dragon horror since you can't do inner monologue.

If it succeeds, easy to move on to Men at Arms

By the way, whatever happened to that god awful Watch series?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

e X posted:

i think that it ended

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
It went to live at a farm upstate.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

e X posted:

History monks took care of the problem.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

The_Doctor posted:

I’d do The Truth as an All the President’s Men style thriller.

I mean, it's already halfway there.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

e X posted:

Every drat show nowadays is an episodic police procedural, no matter how little sense it makes (looking at you Lucifer).

And then along comes the Watch and they decide to....do a continuous "prestige" drama. Ffs.

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.

Imagined posted:

In the sense that it's the most recent thing he's been in that is currently ongoing, kinda yeah? Unless there's a new season of House coming out...

I don't have much trust or hope left for anymore of his work put through the adaptation process, but: something involving the Assassin's Guild, The Office style? IDK

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

Feliday Melody posted:

I'm amazed. You took my choice and you were the first response.

Very good choices. I think Pratchett handled the Golems incredibly well.

I don't remember which good it was were all the Golems unionized and got their liberty.

I think it was one of the early books with that gnome that was the best mouse hunter in town because he hunted them by running through their mouse homes while brandishing a tiny crossbow. I think he turned out to be one of those smurfs from the Tiffany Aching stories (all amazing books who did a lot of revitalize the witch series)

Going Postal is the one that comes to mind with the Golem Trust. And it's Feet of Clay that introduces that character.

I'd love to see Men At Arms as well if only for the scene with Detritus in the pork futures warehouse. I think that one stuck with me so much because until it was figured out what sort of learning environment to stick me in as a kid I was just seen as stupid.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Gnome de plume posted:

In the sense that it's the most recent thing he's been in that is currently ongoing, kinda yeah? Unless there's a new season of House coming out...

Yeah, except Game of Thrones isn't the most recent thing Emilia Clarke was in. Wonder Woman isn't the most recent thing David Thewlis was in. Himesh Patel was actually ALSO on Avenue 5 more recently than he was in Yesterday, etc. Almost every actor on that list except Hugh Laurie they mention the thing they're most famous for doing, not their most current thing.

It's not a big deal, I just thought it was funny. I would name about 10 different shows Hugh Laurie makes me think of before I got to Avenue 5. Not even House but A Bit of Fry and Laurie, Blackadder, etc.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Nov 2, 2021

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'd want either a movie of Lords and Ladies (b/c I love the witch books) Carpe Jugulum (I like it more but without the context of previous books it's harder to get across how unbalanced Granny Weatherwax and Nanny Ogg are acting when Magrat destroys the status quo. On the other hand it's my absolute favourite showing of Agnes and Perdita)

The third option would be Thief of Time because I just think it would be completely apeshit. Ronnie Soak, the fifth horseman? Chocolate based combat in the middle of a time-frozen Ankh-Morpork? A legion of abstract spirits of bureaucracy shove one of their own into a meatsuit and she has an existential crisis so hard she becomes a person? Susan Sto Helit, the goth mirror self of Miss Frizzle? I wanna see the History Monks.

...Okay this might be kind of weird but I don't visualize stuff in my head very well, and one thing that's really stood out over to me everything else in the Discworld series is the giant hall in the temple of the History Monks, where the massive Procrastinators are rolling and unrolling time across the entire world, as monks scurry back and forth cooling the axles so they don't burst into flames from the friction alone, as the planks on the wall flip back and forth to show exactly how much time is winding and unwinding. The scene where Lobsang instinctually takes over and for a brief moment, balances all of time, across the Disc, everything, into a single perfect moment.

That's what I want to see. I want everyone else to see it as well as I can see it in my head.

Feliday Melody
May 8, 2021

I liked that lady that jumped into the pool of chocolate at the end. I thought she was neat and I hope she's doing alright.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

https://www.facebook.com/SkyTV/posts/4712180688834883

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I don't want to be such a pessimist but every attempt to adapt Pratchett focusing on the silly fantastical, and missing the human makes me think that nothing good is possible??

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

I mean we got The Hogfather.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
SQUEAK

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

If it's a perfect adaptation of only one book, I think I'm going to go with Mort.

It's early enough that you don't need a ton of backstory.
It's a solid one shot story.
It's got enough of a romance that the studio won't ruin the movie/show by shoehorning one in.
It shows off Death, potentially Discworld's greatest character.
If it does well enough to earn a sequel, you've got Reaper Man/Soul Music right there.