Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

This is wonderful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

:eyepop:

TheWeedNumber
Apr 20, 2020

by sebmojo

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

:discourse:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MSCSNAPCHANNEL/status/1453826198581112834?s=20

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Ah, comms, that explains a lot. Not enough, but a lot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Ah so, they found MY kind of drunk.

https://twitter.com/realNateCash/status/1453911002643419139?t=4bJJcwuT2o7VPd8R7bdF0Q&s=19

I will fight u in this skirt bich

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

:five:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Coors Banquet instead of Light, this person has some class

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
https://twitter.com/UncleChaps/status/1454165382479159297?s=20

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I didn't know that COVID vaccine came in dip form.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
So we pulled out of Afghanistan right when a massive vaccine campaign is being forced upon our troops?

Am I the only one seeing the red (or should I say blue) flags here??????

Wake up sheeple!!

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

boop the snoot posted:

So we pulled out of Afghanistan right when a massive vaccine campaign is being forced upon our troops?

Am I the only one seeing the red (or should I say blue) flags here??????

Wake up sheeple!!

Joking aside, I've read things that say the Taliban realizes the very real threat COVID represents. Imagine going into some secluded burg, trying to avoid fighting, trying to bring them into the fold, and giving them COVID. Hearts and minds, and lungs.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

madeintaipei posted:

Joking aside, I've read things that say the Taliban realizes the very real threat COVID represents. Imagine going into some secluded burg, trying to avoid fighting, trying to bring them into the fold, and giving them COVID. Hearts and minds, and lungs.

There were a few medical sources that covered the Taliban COVID response. They had nearly all fighters involved in the Campaign to Recapture AFG immunized first. They focused on getting COVID vaccine into the remote supportive villages.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

bulletsponge13 posted:

There were a few medical sources that covered the Taliban COVID response. They had nearly all fighters involved in the Campaign to Recapture AFG immunized first. They focused on getting COVID vaccine into the remote supportive villages.

The regressive theocratic extremist state can do this. Have done this.

Watch them offer free, high quality medical treatment to all Afghan War veterans next, US and Europe included.

Meanwhile, in the USA...

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

madeintaipei posted:

The regressive theocratic extremist state can do this. Have done this.

Watch them offer free, high quality medical treatment to all Afghan War veterans next, US and Europe included.

Meanwhile, in the USA...

There are a lot of metrics by which the United States does not compare favorably to the Taliban. # of successful genocides springs to mind...

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Oh come on, we definitely have more than they do.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Steezo posted:

Ah, comms, that explains a lot. Not enough, but a lot.

Radio Bn isn’t comm, it’s SIGINT.

Which explains a lot more.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Internet Wizard posted:

Radio Bn isn’t comm, it’s SIGINT.

Which explains a lot more.

What the gently caress happens at Goodfellow? Is it the water quality or something?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

What the gently caress happens at Goodfellow? Is it the water quality or something?
Well a guy approaches you at the BX and tells you he’ll let you join the super secret anime club, and all you have to do first is blow a stork on video.

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Casimir Radon posted:

Well a guy approaches you at the BX and tells you he’ll let you join the super secret anime club, and all you have to do first is blow a stork on video.

Thanks for that mental image.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Does Stork means something besides a bird in this context?

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

My theory with this stuff across all the various MOSs/AFSCs/Rates/whatever, is that the combination of the ASVAB along with the culture at the schoolhouses & on the job, acts as a big filter as to what behavior is acceptable or not. Then the folks in the "acceptable" club get loud with their antics, and the others keep their head down and get out, or just suck it up for 20 years or until they end up in another job field. I'm in a nerd job field & I see plenty of folks who definitely aren't nerdy, but they're quiet about their interests and in private they say they don't like the job but are just trying to get by. Traditionally these folks end up making SNCO easily due to their focus on the admin side of the job.
There's also the millenia-old aspect of older generations looking at newer generations and being confused by how they act, and refusing to realise that they acted similar (compared to their parent generation) at the same age. This is how the stress card meme was invented and loving refuses to die

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Grip it and rip it posted:

There are a lot of metrics by which the United States does not compare favorably to the Taliban. # of successful genocides springs to mind...

Key word being "successful".

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

It’s funny one of my coworkers was telling me how army boot camp must be so easy because they can use their cell phones now. Like lady, it’s the same thing as before it’s just they use that instead of a pay phone.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

At least when I was there it was mostly constant insults and belittling from command, combined with mandatory formations that made a decent night’s sleep mathematically impossible while being trapped in a town so miserable Cormac McCarthy wrote about it. Going there right after 2 years at DLI was a real dumpster moment following the never ending stress and anxiety of language school. It’s surprising that SIGINTers don’t have even higher suicide rates. Everybody I know is on some form of anti depressant or anxiety medication now.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

It’s funny one of my coworkers was telling me how army boot camp must be so easy because they can use their cell phones now. Like lady, it’s the same thing as before it’s just they use that instead of a pay phone.

All they know is mcdonalds, charge they phone, twerk, eat hot chip, and lie.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Coming out now that Alec Baldwin was 2 feet away from the DP when he shot her. I am now 100% back on the gently caress Alec Baldwin Bring Up Charges train. I don’t care if it was supposed to be blanks or nothing, that is straight up loving negligence

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

GD_American posted:

Coming out now that Alec Baldwin was 2 feet away from the DP when he shot her. I am now 100% back on the gently caress Alec Baldwin Bring Up Charges train. I don’t care if it was supposed to be blanks or nothing, that is straight up loving negligence

They and the camera were behind a plexi shield which would have protected them from blank fire. That's pretty standard. Obviously it won't stop a real bullet

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Then we’re hitting my unbridgeable mental disconnect. Even in a film set with all the checks and balances that are supposed to exist, pointing a gun directly at someone that close and firing…..i just couldn’t do it

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
How else do you think they get these shots of people getting shot in first person?

Direct cause is that there was a bullet in the gun when it should have been a blank or a dummy.

Root cause is *waves hand around*

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

FrozenVent posted:

How else do you think they get these shots of people getting shot in first person?

It is possible to film such a shot without placing a human being in the line of fire.

And again, in this case the camera was not even rolling.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

GD_American posted:

Then we’re hitting my unbridgeable mental disconnect. Even in a film set with all the checks and balances that are supposed to exist, pointing a gun directly at someone that close and firing…..i just couldn’t do it

You’re not an idiot actor. You’ve been trained to handle weapons. Actors are not. They’re morons who have to be handled with kid gloves.

Dr. Drew Baird from 30 Rock is a perfect example of these people in real life.

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
One important thing to remember is that the film industry has the command structure of the military and the discipline of a restaurant kitchen. If you're eating at Nobu it's likely your vegetables are being washed properly and raw food is being stored at proper temperatures.

Rust had a production budget 2 or 3 levels below Olive Garden. The waitress is high on opioids, the line cook is cutting up rare chicken in the sink in the staff bathroom, and the dishwasher has open sores on his hands but can't take a day off because he's an illegal and he'll get deported. And the owner just gave the busboy a loaded firearm.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Phanatic posted:

It is possible to film such a shot without placing a human being in the line of fire.

And again, in this case the camera was not even rolling.

Sure there is, but that would cost marginally more than having them looking through the viewfinder. There are lots of people to blame for what happened, but ultimately Mr. Baldwin is comparatively pretty low on the list.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Sure there is, but that would cost marginally more than having them looking through the viewfinder. There are lots of people to blame for what happened, but ultimately Mr. Baldwin is comparatively pretty low on the list.

Baldwin is a producer of the film and thus at least partly in charge of the budget. So, no, he isn't low on the list--his handling of the budget directly affected that choice.

GO FUCK YOURSELF
Aug 19, 2004

"I say to you, love your enemies, bless those who beat you, and pray for them to beat the shit out of the Buckeyes" - The Book of Witten
Well, it's worth remembering that "producer" means a lot of different things on TV and film sets. Did he actually put money up or was it a vanity credit that means he consulted on the story? Probably a lot more to still come out.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

GO gently caress YOURSELF posted:

Well, it's worth remembering that "producer" means a lot of different things on TV and film sets. Did he actually put money up or was it a vanity credit that means he consulted on the story? Probably a lot more to still come out.

Usually the vanity type producers get billed as executive producers but big egos like Baldwin may insist that they are billed as producer so they sound more important to the actual work of making the movie even if they weren't. As you say, we'll find out eventually

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Everything I've heard about the rust shooting just makes it seem more and more like they hired some firearms consultant that is pretty much the guys we mock in these threads for putting holes in range buildings and hanging out of car doors while shooting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Ultimately Mr. Baldwin is the person who pulled the trigger. He is at the very top of the list. There isn't any room further up the list.