Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Thread of the Century is this weeks AI Community Showcase :)

:aaa:

Awesome. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Advent Horizon posted:

You’re a bad influence. Now something expensive will break and we’ll all be entertained by Lv’s pain.

He's already broken everything expensive on his fleet. :v:

Upside, most of his fleet is old GM stuff, so parts are dirt cheap (when you can find them these days). And GM legos....

(love ya LV, glad to see these A bodies getting some love :3:)

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

STR posted:

He's already broken everything expensive on his fleet. :v:

If this thread has taught me anything, it’s that expensive parts can break more than once.

Or twice.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

e: yeah not gonna threadjack, sorry LV

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 5, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

cursedshitbox posted:

I can't not see goatse grille.

I thought it looked like rear end before, so not much of a leap.

Left Ventricle posted:

Fun fact: it appears as though both 2WD and 4WD trucks use the same front hub!

Jeep did that, too, at least on the Cherokees, thought they put a stub axle in there to keep the bearing pack together. Presumably the Dodge's is designed to not require it. Fun fact: apparently the bearing pack/hub on some Corvettes (C5 and C6, I think) are the same front and rear, so an AWD Corvette is possible...

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN

ALL YOUR STICKER ARE BELONG TO US

YOU ARE ON THE WAY TO DESTRUCTION

WAT YOU SAY

YOU HAVE NO CHANCE TO SURVIVE MAKE YOUR TIME

HA HA HA HA . . . .

Also got some new wheels for the truck, from a 2017 Ram. Debating whether I should swap the tires or buy new ones.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 16:54 on May 24, 2021

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I love the Championship Bench Racing one.
I need a Running In the '90s one for the AE86... if I were keeping it.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Safe and legal!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

all that and the plate is the best thing. CLASSIC ROD

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I've mentioned this in the past, but there's an upgrade I've been wanting to do for some time on the wagon, namely van brakes. It's a fairly simple swap, with the majority of the parts readily available from any parts house or Rock Auto. Everything except the most important bit: the steering knuckles. The knuckles are the only part not available anywhere but salvage. You also need outer tie rods, ball joints, brake hoses, rotors and calipers, and the hub from the Century.

I went to the yard this past weekend with my brother, and lo and behold, there was a '94 Trans Sport freshly put out. Just what I needed. However, as we all know, Las Vegas summers are brutal and unforgiving. Did I really want to spend a couple hours sweating to death to pull the parts myself?

lol no I would much rather drive 600 miles and pay someone else $35 a pop to pull them from a '96 Lumina that's been sitting in their yard since 2009, so that's what I did yesterday.. They didn't bother playing around with it though, so I got the brakes and hub still attached.

As the above photo illustrates, a car sitting for 13 years tends to collect rust. I need to disassemble the extraneous parts so I can get the knuckles blasted and painted or blued. So I got to work this morning.

Today's participants:

Rusty garbage. The hub, caliper and rotor will go in the bin.

The little Makita wasn't cutting it, so I brought out The Big Guns.

The Earthquake XT and a little further persuasion got the caliper, rotor, and hub knocked off.

Second verse, same as the first.

Hero of the day.

Zero of the day.

Left Ventricle fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 11, 2021

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I love oddball upgrades from parts-bins like this.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

Hero of the day.

Zero of the day.

Hey, c'mon - that little guy isn't even the same class. Don't be dissin' it for not being up to bigger stuff than it's made for. That's for like M6-1/4" an smaller stuff. Maybe M8-5/16".

A proper 1/2" drive cordless might have done the job. I'm reasonably impressed with my Ryobi 1/2", and I hear excellent things about Milwaukee's impact.

(I know you're being humorous. :P)

IOwnCalculus posted:

I love oddball upgrades from parts-bins like this.

Me, too!

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Us northerners be like ":lol: that's not rust"

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I had a Ram of similar vintage as a loaner when my Mazda 3 was in for service (I really don't remember details of which exact model) and I just drove it 55 and got OK mileage per the onboard computer.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Love those GM Legos. Ask me about building one rear end from 3 different vehicles!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Love those GM Legos. Ask me about building one rear end from 3 different vehicles!

Ask me about repairing a Pontiac Phoenix front knuckle with a rear knuckle from a Fiero (they're literally the same part.)

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
sudden fuel leak on the wagon in the vicinity of the filter

will investigate further when it's not 105 degrees and 25% humidity

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

will investigate further when it's not 105 degrees and 25% humidity

I feel you brother. Some how it hasn’t quite yet hit 100 here in north TX, but the humidity has been fierce.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Anyone familiar with HPTuners know how to change tire size or speedometer calibration on this Chrysler PCM? It isn't immediately jumping out at me like the GM PCM's, and asking at the HPT forum got me the canned "just use the search function noob" response, and a thread from one of the devs showing it to be in the Scanner under special functions. Then lots of people posting about how it disabled their traction control/ABS or even put it into limp mode afterward.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Left Ventricle posted:

asking at the HPT forum got me the canned "just use the search function noob" response

I want to kick every rear end in a top hat who does that in the balls repeatedly with pointy steel toe boots. They know goddamned well that the search is *always* broken, and the only results you find are other people asking the same question and getting the same response.

Sorry I can't help, other than ranting.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I will be taking the wagon to a shop on Monday to have some electrical bullshit looked at, namely the turn signals and cruise control. I might go to the yard and grab a CC module to see if that makes it work again. Also, the CHMSL stopped working, and the rear defrost turns itself on and off at random. Electrical gremlins are fun!

I fixed the fuel leak though. It ended up being one of the plastic clips that seats the fuel filter into the main line coming from the tank somehow got damaged and wasn't sealing completely. $18 for a new filter since you can't just get those clips by themselves and George was back on the road.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Sounds like you've lost a ground somewhere in the back. I'm betting your brake lights in general are also acting fucky, at least when the parking lights/head lights are on. With them off, they can ground through the parking lights (so nearly full brightness, but probably throws the resistance off enough to gently caress with the CC). With them on, I bet they're trying to ground through your rear defrost and somehow turning it on.

Your rear parking lights are probably grounding through the brake lights too. Backup lights coming on dimly at random as well?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Sep 26, 2021

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I'm not sure about anything else. I haven't driven it with any regularity since before summer, since the Ram has AC. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Double post. My hunch was mostly correct. The mechanic said the cruise module was dead. The signals now work after replacing a popped fuse :doh: Which I promise I checked multiple times. Whatever, I paid the idiot tax, which, fortunately, was only $60.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Lol I hate when that happens, but yeah at $60 you got off easy

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Now you get to figure out why the fuse popped!

... right? :ohdear:

I seem to remember something about the turn signal switch itself popping fuses when it gets flaky on that era GM, but maybe I'm mixing that up with how the wiper switch failed spectacularly on my mom's early 90s Cadillac.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Signals work now, which is what I was concerned with. If it pops the fuse again I will put in a bigger fuse investigate further. :ninja:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I did not expect to be triggered by this thread

The PO of my Comanche thought 40 amp fuses were for everything that blew a fuse and for some weird reason, sections of the wiring harness are melted. I can't imagine why

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Higher number equals better, come on man :colbert:

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

STR posted:

Sounds like you've lost a ground somewhere in the back. I'm betting your brake lights in general are also acting fucky, at least when the parking lights/head lights are on. With them off, they can ground through the parking lights (so nearly full brightness, but probably throws the resistance off enough to gently caress with the CC). With them on, I bet they're trying to ground through your rear defrost and somehow turning it on.

Your rear parking lights are probably grounding through the brake lights too. Backup lights coming on dimly at random as well?
You were on the right track. I discovered why the cruise wasn't working, and it's more or less this reason. The defrost turns on when I press the brake pedal, and since the CC shuts off when the brakes are applied (the lights come on), when the defrost is on the brake light circuit is probably energized enough to disable cruise but not turn the lights on. Found this out after spending $13 at the yard for a cruise module and it "didn't work". I'm content to just ignore it, since if the defrost is off, the cruise works. And generally speaking it doesn't get cold/humid enough in Vegas to need rear defrost.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Disconnect one of the wires to the defrost grid, that'll fix the issue with it turning on with the cruise... though your tail lights might stop working at the same time. :v:

Or ignore it.

You do need to find that missing ground soon though. If you have a wiring diagram, I'm betting your rear lights and rear defrost all ground through the same wire. You may be able to get away with splicing into the ground of the tail lights or rear defroster, and using a self tapping screw + wire + eyelet crimp to create a new one. It's a hack that just covers up the real issue, but I may have done something similar before...

I'm betting you're going to find the bad ground in whatever section of wire is causing the turn signal fuse to pop - :10bux: says it's related, and it'll still randomly pop a fuse when those wires rub. Out of curiosity, is the CHMSL part of the liftgate? If so, I'd start checking the wiring to the liftgate (specifically start with the section that goes from the body to the liftgate) - it's a super common place for wires to rub against each other, and I wouldn't be surprised if GM powered it from the same fuse.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Today was supposed to be an easy day of swapping wheels, since my rear tires are nearly five years old and have some decent cracking in the sidewall.

Started like this:

Ended like this, with wheels from a 1992 Silhouette with really good tires. I picked them up from the yard in June of last year, and they've been collecting dust in the garage since.

The headache arose when trying to pull the wheels. My brother had give me some lug nuts that wouldn't fit his car last year, some kinda fancy chrome ones with internal hex, making them a little hard for randos to remove. Unfortunately for me, they were also difficult for me to unscrew, resulting in this:

One broken and two mangled studs. I went ahead and replaced the entire hub, since it was easy enough, and I would have had to pull it to replace the studs regardless, and the rear hubs are original. Painful, at about $100 each. I will do the other one in the morning. A liberal amount of antiseize was applied to the studs and the mounting face so as to prevent such nonsense in the future.

Free poo poo always ends up being the most expensive, doesn't it?

It also leveled the car back out, which will probably take a little readjustment for me as a driver. I liked the old-school rake the taller rear tires gave it. "New" tires are 205-70-15 all around, while the previous setup was 215-60-16 front, 225-60-16 rear. There's like a tenth of an inch difference in height, so I probably won't even need to recalibrate the speedometer.

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
I have found that liberal application of Fluid Film is the best thing for preventing wheel-to-hub freezing. At least in the Midwest.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I put a thin coat of nickel antiseize on the wheel where it contacts the hub/rotor face (trying hard to keep it away from the lug holes) and that seems to work well.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
Second verse same as the first, with extra bonus broken studs on the passenger side.

Time for new shoes, it seems.

New hotness.

No such thing as too much antiseize, right guys?

Old hub goes exactly where it belongs.

Quick test drive confirmed speedometer calibration is accurate. Unexpected side effect of new wheels: steering wheel straightened out, where it was clocked a few degrees left before. I had an alignment done when I replaced the struts last year, and the mechanic was obsessed with getting the wheel straight, spending something like two hours loving with it. I commended him. His efforts have paid dividends now.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Why would the wheels affect the alignment of the steering wheel?

Edit, or rather how? I don't doubt you. I'm curious if you had different sized wheels or tires or what.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
I don't know. I found it unusual myself. Like I said, the overall diameter is with a tenth of an inch, but the width is smaller on the Silhouette set. Maybe that?

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Left Ventricle posted:

I don't know. I found it unusual myself. Like I said, the overall diameter is with a tenth of an inch, but the width is smaller on the Silhouette set. Maybe that?

And the ones you took off were identical, right? As in, right and left were the same? Maybe it had to do with the hub replacement somehow.

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

StormDrain posted:

And the ones you took off were identical, right? As in, right and left were the same? Maybe it had to do with the hub replacement somehow.

Hub replacement was for the rears. The Silhouette wheels are 15x6 with 205-70 tires, the Grand Am wheels are 16x6.5 with 215-60 tires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBCrunch
Jun 17, 2002

Lawrence Phillips Always #1 to Me
Maybe your hub and brake work eliminated a sticky brake at one corner and this is what corrected the steering angle?